Chapter 2

Still Learning

My blank face must have said it all because the next thing I knew, Jaejoong was waving his hand in front of my face. 

"Erika?" he called out. That's when I knew I really must have been so surprised. Jaejoong rarely called me by my whole first name. It just wasn't a common thing between us. I snapped back to reality and blinked at him. "Erika?" he called again. 

"What......what....." I stuttered. "You......you....what?"

Jaejoong let out one of his usual airy laughs. Wait, I'm sorry, did he not see what my face looked like just now? 

"Rika....I know you're freaking out. Believe me I know," he said.

"You.....you......" I continued to stutter. This was really getting out of hand now. 

"Erika...I thought about this a lot. It's been on my mind for the last few months," he explained.

"Few months?" I finally put together some words. 

"Yea. I was thinking why none of these girls I dated seemed to last very long. Some of them were great and nice girls. Some of them even got along well with you."

I nodded my head, trying to follow along. Sure some were pretty nice and cool. I actually kept in touch with a few that I had gotten to know pretty well even after Jaejoong broke up with them.

"Then I realized they didn't last long because I was comparing them to you and didn't even know it. Bottom line is they weren't my best friend," Jaejoong looked at me with his piercing black eyes. "No matter what I tried to do differently, something just didn't feel right." 

I tilted my head to the right, still somewhat in shock. "Rika? Are you going to say something? Or are you going to leave me lying here rambling." 

"I don't know what to say." I stared up at the ceiling and subconsciously pulled my blanket even higher up so that it now covered my body all the way up to my chin. 

"Sure, it's not the fact that we just made love that's making you like that, it's me proposing my undying love to you right?" Jaejoong joked sarcastically.

"Made love?" I questioned him. 

"It feels wrong calling what we did just ," Jaejoong said. "To me that's more than simple ." 

"Jaejoong....you're freaking me out," I said. 

"Why?" he asked. I could feel his face turned towards me but I couldn't bring myself to look at him. 

"We're friends...." I whispered. 

"Best friends," he reassured. "And that will never change." 

"Really?" 

"Oh come on Rika." Jaejoong turned his body and propped his head up on his elbow and hand to look down on my face. "You've known me for most of your whole life right? Have I ever lied to you before?" he asked.

"Yes."

Jaejoong looked shocked. "WHEN?!" he exclaimed in utter surprise. 

"You tricked me in second grade when you said nothing scary would be in my desk at school on Halloween and then there were plastic cockroaches in there when I opened my desk," I pointed out at him. 

Jaejoong cracked a smile. "You were so mad at me then. I remember it like yesterday now," he said. "Ok, so that happened once and then you didn't speak to me for like a month." 

"I hated you for being mean to me. And the whole class laughed at me too."

"Rika...that was in second grade," he reiterated. 

"You still lied," I said. 

"Erika!!! Didn't I learn my lessen then? Did I ever lie to you again? Even in high school when we had different friends. Every girl I liked I told you straight up. When you asked me if I was hanging out with those boys smoking cigarettes, did I ever deny that in front of you? When you hated me for dating that girl who was super pretty did I not sit down and listen to you? And then I broke up with her too because you hated her so much! And till this day I'm still not really sure why you hated her that much!" Jaejoong exclaimed. 

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. Yes. You never lied again." 

Jaejoong smirked. "And I swear to God I'm telling you the truth. I will be your best friend forever and that will never change. I'm just also proposing my love to you on top of being your best friend."

"If anything happens then everything will change," I pointed out. "I don't want to be girl number 28 or 30 or however many girlfriends you've had."

Jaejoong groaned. "It's not that many ok? Nothing will change between us except that I can hold your hand and kiss you now. Oh and also do what we just did in bed again."

I closed my eyes and envisioned that feeling again. "Jae!!!!!" I screamed and kicked my feet almost like a child throwing a tantrum. I must've scared him because his head fell off from the propped position. 

"Jeezus! Why are you screaming?" he asked when he collected himself.

"Why are you doing this to me now??" I questioned him. "Couldn't you have let me enjoy my first night not as a ?" 

Jaejoong cracked up laughing. "I can't, I refuse. I still think you're enjoying it. You're with me after all, what's there not to enjoy?" He leaned over and kissed me softly on the corner of my lips. I reached up and touched the area once he pulled back. "You see? You're enjoying it," he pointed out. 

"God damn you Jae. I hate you so much," I muttered. 

"Whatever. I know you like it," he retorted. One hand slipped under the blanket and rested across my bare waist. He my tummy with his thumb gently. "Are you going to let me sleep here with you tonight?" 

"Where else would you sleep?" 

"Guest bedroom. Isn't that where I usually crash?" 

Oh right. Of course. Our guest bedroom was practically Jaejoong's personal bedroom because our most frequent guest was him when he decided to stop by my house every other day even when I wasn't around. He would either come and hang out with my big brother or just stop by to talk to my parents and eat the food in our fridge. 

"Yea you can sleep here." I said. "I just need to wash my sheets tomorrow." 

"Don't worry. I'll do them for you. Afterall, it's because of me that they're dirty," he laughed. 

"Go to sleep Jae," I said exasperated. 

"Yes Rika," he complied. He kissed me again, this time more fully on the lips, then scooted himself closer to me. With one arm still around my waist, I heard him mumble a goodnight and the next thing I knew I heard him start snoring softly next to me.