II.

Chimera
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The new term had begun just as how Suho had expected it. Students came back, and teachers handed them nothing but work, and work, and work. Although Seoul Division had very strict rules and an uptight appearance, the teachers were nicer than how the media made them out to be. None of the teachers were scary; they were all friendly and assisted their students as much as possible.

Classes were about 90 minutes each, and every day Suho had a different class. Kyungsoo was in none of his classes, but it was okay because he had his other friends, Luhan, Kris, and Lay. He hung out with them from time to time, but never had the chance to hang out with them outside of school because they were exchange students. During the holidays, they would return to China and Canada to visit their families. The three of them would occasionally come have lunch with Suho’s group of friends. Sehun was very fond of Luhan, and considered Luhan his mentor.

In anatomy, Suho sat with Luhan, Kris and Lay on the top row. The classes were built like a miniature lecture room. Anatomy was Suho’s favourite subject. He enjoyed learning about the structure of living things. He thought the human body was ‘cool’ the way it functions, how it is structured, and such. But he wasn’t a big fan of biology, although anatomy is a branch of biology.

Suho also liked anatomy because Subin was in his class. She always sat in the row in front of him, right below where he sat. He could always smell that floral scent perfume she sprayed whenever she tossed her hair back. It had been two weeks since he had last talked to her, though he could still feel her arms wrapped around him. And then it hit him as he was daydreaming in class, that he had been thinking about Subin a lot lately. But he couldn’t help it. She always smiled at him whenever she saw him, and Suho was weak when it came to smiles.

But she was an elite. And he was plain old Suho.

Suho made sure no one else knew about this. None of his friends, except for Kyungsoo, knew about this one sided crush. Suho didn’t even know if it was a crush or not. She was just really pretty, and she appeared in his thoughts a lot. Maybe it was just a teenage hormonal thing, though he would never admit it was. He didn’t want to be weak in that area, either.

The week had gone by, and before Suho knew it, it was the weekend. His last class. which was anatomy, finally ended and he gathered his things in his backpack. Kris, of course, was the first one to get up. He waited for the rest of the boys to pack up. Kris was strikingly tall, and his stance was more than intimidating. The first time Suho met this giant, he had been afraid to approach him. But he knew Lay, and Lay knew Kris, and somehow, Suho trusted Lay’s judgement. Lay was a very scattered brain person and his glasses always slipped down his nose. But he had dimples, and Suho knew how much the girls in the class cooed over it. And then through both of them, he met playful Luhan, who was the nicest person Suho had ever met. And they all just clicked. And the world clicked. And here they were.

As the three of them waited for Lay to gather his books and binders, Suho overheard some of the students whispering as they hastily packed up. They were gossiping to each other about Alena Yoo. Wow. Still? It had been almost three weeks by now since the photo was leaked on Facebook by Kim Sungjoo. Suho felt extremely bad for the poor girl. She was the talk of the school; nothing but a joke now. He hadn’t heard from her, but he sincerely hoped she was okay. And he hoped bad karma will be bestowed upon Sungjoo because nobody deserved to be betrayed by someone they loved in such a way. And even if he didn’t love Alena, even if her personality was rotten like an apples core, she still didn’t deserve what was done to her.

Suho bit the inside of his cheeks, suddenly feeling annoyed with the students. But he couldn’t bring himself to defend her. Because in truth, he didn’t know the girl and he wouldn’t know what to say.

Lay finally finished and got up, “Alright let’s go.” He pushed in his chair walked out first without the regards of his friends. Luhan and Kris made a face, and mumbled something about the bird brain Lay. Suho broke out of his reverie by then and made his way to the exit. He stole a glimpse back at Subin, and surprisingly, she was looking right back at him. She beamed and waved goodbye to him. Suho grinned widely and waved right back.

Suho was stuck in his thoughts as he walked side by side his friends. They were making their way to Luhan and Lay’s dorm. Kris was one of the lucky few who were able to obtain his own room without having a roommate. Kris liked his friends, but he loved solitude. He needed time for himself, and Suho found himself often admiring how independent Kris was.

“Isn’t that Alena?” Luhan asked quietly to his group of friends. The three other boys followed his gaze. In front of Winters Residence, there was a lonesome girl who sat on the bench. She wore all black, from her leather jacket, to the black jumper she wore underneath to the black combat boots at the bottom of her feet. Her black hair flowed sullenly in the wind, and she was smoking a cigarette. Her face was emotionless, and she was reading something on her phone. She didn’t look angry, or sad, or happy, or anything at all. She just sat there, looking at her phone and occasionally taking a drag out of her cigarette.

“Yeah it is,” Kris said. “Stop looking guys, it’s going to make it appear like we are talking about her.” He looked away and his eyes grew set on something else in the distance. Lay let out a sigh and shook his head. “She is a nice girl.”

Luhan raised his eyebrow at him, confusion etched all over his face. “You’ve talked to her?”

“Well once. I was in her astronomy class last year. She’s really smart and she was in my group. She helped me with a question and pat my head afterwards and told me she would buy me a cookie for my dedication in understanding the constellations. She never did get back to me with the cookie she promised since she didn't come back to class after that day... But that's okay,” Lay said, smiling at the memory. But the smile vanished instantly as soon as it came. Something in his eyes grew soft and his lips pouted in confusion as he stared at the clear sky. “She really did loved stars though.”

Luhan, Kris, and Suho looked at each other in perplexity. “What do you know about Alena?” Kris inquired, his eyes narrowed together as he eyed Lay. Lay fixed his scarf, and said nothing in response. He pointed up at the sky and said, “Oh. It’s so sunny today.”

Kris made a face and crossed his arms. He hated when Lay did this. Luhan sighed, knowing Lay wouldn’t say anything else.

Suho realized his steps had slowed down. His eyes drifted over to where the lonesome girl sat and they grew sympathetic for her.

Everyone has a story, and it’s a shame that hers was one of the unfortunate ones.

---

There was a party going on at Divine’s residence. Parties like these only happen on Saturdays when curfew hour is extended from 9pm to 1am. The parties are usually big and festive, and the administrators pretend to know nothing about it. As long as the students were responsible and did not cause a disturbance in the neighbourhood, the administrators on the Academy campus could care less. Suho and his friends were all invited to come. Suho wasn’t very good at partying. In fact, he was as awkward as a duck when it came to these things. In a sense, he felt like a wallflower. He didn’t know how to act. He did have drinks with his friends a few times in his dorms, but that was with all his buddies.

Parties at the Divine’s residences are usually huge since it is held by the Elites.

In Seoul Division, the Elites are referred as like the popular students. The wealthy and intelligent students. Like Subin. She was one of the elites. But fortunately for Suho, she wasn’t the mean ones.

Suho wanted to decline the invite, but Subin had caught him in the halls and asked if he was coming. She looked so pretty in her little braids, and those twinkling eyes, he couldn’t say no. The look on her face when he said yes was priceless. Hopefully he would break out of his awkward shell.

“Look what you’re getting us into,” Kyungsoo complained. He didn’t know what to wear for the party. He always dressed casual… but now he would have to look extra fancy because this party is held by the elites.

Suho sheepishly rubbed his head. “I’m sorry. Subin—”

“Oh I’m Subin, I have pretty hair and a pretty face and probably pretty s, and you have to come to my party because I’m an elite and I am secretly in love with you Suho,” Kyungsoo mimicked Subin.

Suho dashed his pillow at Kyungsoo’s head. “Stop being stupid, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and sighed, “I hope the food is good.”

“Or what?” Suho asked.

Kyungsoo threw his fanciest navy sweater over his body and snorted in confidence when his tiny head appeared from out of the hole, “Or I’m going to have to bust out my cooking utensils and make myself a damn good meal so that these elites will be bowing down at my feet by the end of the night.”

---

The boys had met up infront of Divine’s residence as planned. All of them was dressed to impressed, except for Kris. For some strange reason, Kris always wore something nice. It was as if his life was based off a catwalk. Whatever his parents was buying him in Canada, it was definitely working out for him. Suho remembered looking through his wardrobe once and died from the amount of clothes Kris owned. Kris had told him if he saw anything he liked, he could have it. Unfortunately, Kris was way too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter