I.

Chimera
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul Division Boarding School is an enriched academy located on the outskirts of Pyeongchang. It is one of the newest schools in South Korea and is held under much of the media’s scrutiny for its students outstanding educational success. The school literally thrives on success. The opportunity to enter in this prestigious academy is very rare since the board of education did not give out many acceptances. Those who are able to enter the boarding school are considered to be highly ranked in their grades. The tuition is paid by the board of education so all students who board here need not to stress over the cost of accommodations. However, students must maintain a strict B+ average in all their courses, ranging from English to art to maths to the sciences and of course, physical education. If they do not meet the full requirements by the end of the term, they will be asked to leave the academy promptly.

There are five separate buildings of classes for students to attend. The buildings are built accordingly to which genre of subjects with its own libraries and cafeterias to not only enhance the student productivity, but also to remind students that this is not just any ordinary school of education.

There are four residential buildings located on each end of the campus, about six stories each. Some folks claim this is too fancy of a place for students, while the board of education argued that the best way for a person to learn is under a comfortable and warm atmosphere. A place where the students are reminded every day of how fortunate they are to be placed in such an institution and that they should appreciate every opportunity of life given to them.

It is true; Seoul Division was definitely a place where dreams do come true.

---

Suho sat quietly in the backseat of his parents grey Honda civic. He had two earphones in his ears and his eyes were closed. He looked serene and at peace. He wouldn't blame his parents if they thought he was asleep. They had every right to assume so. He was never much of a car person anyways. He often felt carsick and usually fell asleep during long rides from home to school and school to home. His parents would always talk to each other in the car. There was never a moment in which they had nothing to say. They didn't like silence much. Suho did though. Silence was his constant companion, and he thrived on it wondrously. Only when he was at home though. But today he didn’t fall asleep in the car, despite the two hour drive. His eyes were just closed, and he was just listening to the melodies of Arthur Rubinstein that was playing on repeat in his iPod.

The music flowed in his ears and he felt at peace, despite the small bit of nausea bubbling in his stomach. Suho was returning from winter break, and he was not looking forward in sleeping in his dorm. Winters in Pyeongchang was cold, and long, and dreadful. This was his third year in Seoul division. Though the summers were glorious with the help of air conditioning, the winters were cold and the heat was definitely lacking. But of course, he kept a positive mind about it because he will be able to see his friends again.

Teachers had not assigned any work during the winter break because they had wanted the students to take joy in the festive season of the holidays. However, they did promise that when the students return, they will receive a bundle of joy. Suho knew what that meant. Piles upon piles of homework. His room will become a homework haven all over again. It was a good thing then that Suho was organized and always up to task. His room was clean, at least his side was.

His roommate, Kyungsoo, was organized as well. But… that was only in the beginning. Eventually as the term drags on by, the cleanliness will become a cluster of notes and paper and books. It always happened. Suho didn’t mind though, he often found himself bored after his studies on the weekend and eventually took the time to clean.

Kyungsoo was a short boy, with dark brown chestnut hair and wide eyes. He was strange, and often said strange things at a strange time. He loved to cook, which was a plus for Suho. Kyungsoo also loved to sing, and Suho sometimes found himself singing along when the two boys couldn't  sleep at night. Throughout the three years at Seoul Division, Kyungsoo had always been Suho’s roommate. In a sense, Kyungsoo had become Suho’s best friend. They’ve been through everything together, school related anyways. Kyungsoo kept most of his personal matters to himself, and Suho was never one to pry. What Kyungsoo allowed to show was enough for Suho to gain trust in him.

Suho felt the bottom of the car swerve in a circular motion. That was when he opened his eyes. Immediately, the bright gleam of the sun welcomed him outside. It was bright enough for Suho to see the tint of red from his bangs as he looked outside the window. Here he was, back to Seoul Division once more.

His father parked at the entrance. Suho could see many students bidding farewell to their parents and entering the building.

Suho’s mother turned around and smiled at him. “Ready for another wonderful term?”

“Sort of. I’ll miss your cooking though,” Suho said with a kind smile on his face. His mother chuckled, and he could see the curve of her eyes through her dark tinted sunglasses. “You have Kyungsoo. His cooking is a lot better than mine.” She winked, earning a laugh to come out of Suho's lips.

“Suho,” his father said in an urgent tone. Suho looked away from his mother and looked up at his Dad. Through the rearview mirror, Suho can see his Dad’s eyes set deeply into his.

“Work hard.”

Suho’s father was not a man of many words towards his childrens. He could never express his actual feelings and had trouble communicating with Suho sometimes. Suho nodded, “Don’t worry. I’ll do my best.” His father nodded, a hint of a smile playing on his lips. Suho got out of the car, grabbed his bag and lu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter