Chapter 9

Cinderella

               Soohyun pulled his car up to Eli’s apartment the following weekend. It was a Sunday morning and Eli, Soohyun, and Jayne had agreed on going to Namdaemun Market for their outing together. Soohyun felt a bit more relaxed knowing that Eli would be joining on today’s trip. Eli and Soohyun were dressed casually to not draw attention. Because the market would most likely be busy, they were going to use the crowd to blend in. If there was a possibility that they would get noticed, the three of them would most likely start to weave in and out of the tents and try to make a fast getaway.

                “Hey, Soohyun. How’s it going? You excited about today?” Eli asked a few minutes later after getting into the car.

                “Yeah, I think it will be fun. You planning on buying anything?” Soohyun asked as he placed his right hand on the back of the passenger seat and started reversing the car out of the parking lot.

                “I guess it depends if anything catches my eye. We going to grab lunch there, too?” Eli asked as Soohyun pulled out onto the main road in the direction of Jayne’s apartment.

                “We probably will. Did you bring enough money with you?” Soohyun asked as Eli nodded. Eli the radio and the two of them started singing along to the music. Forty-five minutes later they pulled up to Jayne’s apartment. Both of them walked up the stairs and Soohyun knocked on her door.

                “Annyeong haseyo (Hello), guys. Come on in. I’ll be ready in just a minute.” Jayne said as they entered her apartment. Eli’s eyes started to water and he began sneezing.

                “Eli, what’s the matter? Are you okay?” Soohyun asked as he turned to Eli. Jinx came walking out of the kitchen and Eli pointed at her.

                “That’s the problem. Why didn’t you tell me she had a cat?” Eli asked as he rubbed his eyes.

                “Oh my gosh, why did I not think of that. It totally slipped my mind. I’m sorry, Eli. I’ll ask Jayne if she has any medicine.” Soohyun said. Eli mentioned that he was going to wait in the car and Soohyun handed Eli the car keys. Soohyun searched for Jayne and found her in her bedroom.

                “Hey, Jayne. Sorry to bother you. Did you have any allergy medicine. I completely forgot that Eli has an allergy to cats. His eyes were watering and he was sneezing, so he went to wait out in the car.” Soohyun said as Jayne led him to her bathroom. She opened the vanity mirror and grabbed some generic allergy pills for Eli to take.

                “I’m so sorry. I hope he’s okay.” Jayne said as they got what they needed and headed out the door. Soohyun handed Eli the medicine as they got in the car.

                “Eli, I am SO sorry. I had no idea. I hope this medicine makes you feel better.” Jayne said as Soohyun started the drive towards the market.

                “It’s not your fault. I’m sure I’ll be fine once the medicine kicks in.” Eli said, reassuring Jayne. Soohyun pulled up to the market thirty-five minutes later. All three of them got out of the car and started making their way over to the tourist information booth. After getting a map of the different areas, they stood in a mini circle as they decided where to go first. They decided to go check out the clothing section of the market and walked side-by-side. Walking up to a vendor, Eli decided to look at the variety of baseball caps, while Jayne and Soohyun walked further into the store to look at the sweaters and shirts.

                “Hey Jayne, look at this.” Soohyun said as he reached out for her hand and pulled her over to the hoodies they had for couples.

                “Aaaawwww, they look so cute.” Jayne said pointing to a few that had animal prints on them. The hoods had animal ears and the back of the hoodies had tails attached.

                “You want to get one?” Soohyun asked as he started looking through the sizes. Jayne pointed to a tiger design and Soohyun grabbed a hoodie for him and one for her. “Let’s go try these on.” Soohyun said excitedly as they made their way to the changing room. They both modeled in the mirror to see how it looked. “What do you think?” Soohyun asked as Jayne smiled.

                “It looks cute. Let’s try on a few more though and see how they look.” Jayne said as Soohyun agreed. After trying on a few more designs, they decided the tiger print looked best on the both of them.

                “Hey guys, what’s going on? Are you going to buy that?” Eli asked as he walked over to Soohyun and Jayne. Soohyun nodded and made his way over to the cashier as Eli showed off his baseball caps to Jayne.

                “Those look cool. You collect baseball caps?” Jayne asked Eli.

                “Oh yeah. I have a whole drawer in my closet with nothing but baseball caps.” Eli grinned.

                “Here, Jayne. Put this on.” Soohyun said as he opened up the hoodie for Jayne to wear. Eli was putting his baseball caps back into the bag. Soohyun took the opportunity of Eli’s distraction to stand behind Jayne as she was putting her arms in the sleeves to place a gentle kiss on the back of her neck. Jayne’s cheeks started to turn a shade of pink at Soohyun’s gesture. Soohyun put on his hoodie after Jayne’s was on and the three of them walked back out into the market. Three hours later, they decided to grab some lunch at one of the booths in the market. Eli and Jayne decided to sit at a bench nearby while Soohyun waited for the food.

                “You know Soohyun really likes you, right?” Eli said to Jayne as he sat down across from her.

                “Yeah, I do. I like him a lot, too.” Jayne said shyly.

                “I can tell. You two complement each other. Jayne, there’s something I need to tell you.” Eli said as she looked at him seriously. “Soohyun can be shy about revealing certain things. I don’t know what all he has told you about himself, but just know that he really cares about you. If he hasn’t told you something, he may just be waiting for the right time and place to say it.”

                “I appreciate you telling me that.” Jayne said as she got up to help Soohyun with their plates of food. They all ate their meals and walked around a bit more before deciding to head back to their apartments. Soohyun dropped off Eli at his apartment first.

                “Annyeong (Bye), guys. I had a lot of fun today. We should hang out more often. It was a pleasure seeing you again, Jayne.” Eli said as he unbuckled his seat belt.

                “I had an amazing time with you guys. I’m glad the medicine helped.” Jayne said turning around in the front passenger seat to face Eli.

                “Jayne, you mind if I have your phone number?” Eli asked as Soohyun shot Eli a confused look.

                “Sure, that’s fine.” Jayne said as Eli typed in her name in his contacts list and handed her the phone where she could input her number. After getting the phone back, he sent her a quick text to make sure she could save his information in her phone.

                “So, Jayne…do you have any friends that might want to come hang out with us the next time we get together?” Eli asked. Soohyun saw the reason why he asked for Jayne’s number and rolled his eyes.

                “Hhhmmm…I don’t know…I guess I’ll have to ask around.” Jayne said with a smirk on her face. Eli grinned and got out the car, waving to Soohyun and Jayne before he went inside his apartment. Half an hour later, Soohyun pulled up to Jayne’s apartment and they headed up to her door.

                “I had such a wonderful time hanging out with you two. Eli’s a really cool guy. I can see why you’re so proud to work with him.” Jayne said as she opened the door and invited him in.

                “Yeah, I hope you get to meet my other coworkers, too. We’re all one big family. Seems like Eli wants you to hook him up with one of your friends.” Soohyun said as they both removed their shoes.

                “I noticed. Haha. Well, I don’t really know too many people right now. I have my coworkers, but I’m not close to them friend-wise. Eli may be out of luck.” Jayne said as she put her purse down on the dining room table.

                “I don’t think he’ll be happy to hear that news.” Soohyun said as he walked up to Jayne.

                “Thank you so much for buying this hoodie. I absolutely love it. Every time I will see it and wear it, I’ll think of you.” Jayne said as she took the tail and gently swatted Soohyun with it.

                “Well, good. I’m glad you like it.” Soohyun said smiling. His right hand reached out and caressed her cheek as Jayne gazed up at him. Their lips met and he wrapped his arms around her. Her hands reached up around his back, pulling him closer. Soohyun deepened the kiss as her eyes closed. A few minutes later, he gently pulled away and her hair. “I need to get going. It’s back to work tomorrow. My schedule is going to be crazy as usual, but you know I’ll try and call or text whenever I get the chance.” Soohyun said as Jayne nodded.

                “I know you will. I look forward to it.” Jayne said as he gave her one last kiss goodbye. Soohyun put on his shoes and gave her a quick hug and a soft kiss on the forehead before walking out the door. She waved goodbye as he walked down the stairs and quietly closed the door shut.

***

                Several hours later, Jayne sat down on her couch to eat her dinner. The apartment was too quiet, so she decided to turn on the TV and see what was playing. She put it on the MNet music channel and picked up her bowl of ramen.

                “Welcome back to the MNet music countdown, where we are playing your most requested music videos from your favorite KPop idols. Our next video is from a group that just released their latest single,  ‘Believe’ a few weeks ago and it has been doing tremendously well thanks to their loyal KissMes. Here at number 3, is U-Kiss with ‘Believe.’ “ The female host said as Jayne started munching on her noodles. The music video started to play and Jayne did a double-take.

                “That isn’t…no…it couldn’t be. I must be seeing things.” Jayne said to herself as she watched the images before her eyes. She chewed up the food in and swallowed it slowly. hung wide open. Her body froze, causing the bowl in her hand to slip out of her grasp. It went crashing to the floor and shattered into pieces. The sound snapped Jayne back into reality and she cursed under her breath as she went to get a paper towel and dustpan to clean up the mess. Once the music video was over, she turned her attention to the mess she made. Once it was all clean, she grabbed her phone and sat on the couch. Her heart was pounding and her hands were shaking.

                “Yeboseyo (Hello).” A male voice answered.

                “Eli…it’s Jayne. We need to talk…”