Chapter 11

Cinderella

 

                It was 11pm on Sunday night at Soohyun’s apartment. Hoon and Dongho were in their room and Soohyun had just finished brushing his teeth. He walked to his bedroom and lay down in his bed. Grabbing his cell phone, he was going to set his alarm for the morning when he received a text message. He saw it was from Eli and opened up the text.

            Soohyun call me ASAP. She knows…

                Soohyun dropped the phone as his body froze. He started to panic and sat like a stone pondering what to do next. The only thing he could logically think of doing was calling Eli and finding out what exactly he meant. Once he picked the phone back up, Soohyun found the strength to press the “call” button on his phone and placed the receiver up to his ear. His head was pounding as the call was being connected.

                “Yeboseyo (Hello)?” Eli answered as Soohyun sat on the edge of his bed.

                “Eli…what happened? What do you mean she knows?” Soohyun said as he hunched over.

                “Well, apparently she saw our music video on MNet earlier this evening. She knows we’re U-Kiss. Don’t worry though, she came over and we had a heart-to-heart talk. Everything’s fine.” Eli said, trying to reassure Soohyun.

                “She is? Are you sure?” Soohyun asked as he cringed at the thought of Jayne’s reaction to the music video.

                “Well, she was a bit upset at first. More confused, though. But, I explained why you weren’t able to tell her right away and that you meant on telling her before she found out. She understands now. From the way I observed everything, she seems cool with it.” Eli said as Soohyun started to relax.

                “So, she’s okay with knowing who we really are?” Soohyun asked, saying the words out loud to have it sink in his brain.

                “That’s the impression I got. Of course, my advice would be to have a chat with her. I’m sure she wants to hear everything from your perspective and not just mine.” Eli said, taking a sip of his soda.

                “Well, of course. It’s the least I can do. Listen, Eli, I know it’s extremely late and we have a full schedule ahead of us tomorrow, but is it okay for me to come over so we can discuss this further? If you’re too tired, I can just wait until tomorrow…” Soohyun asked, hoping Eli would say ‘yes.’

                “Uh,…yeah…I guess that’s okay. You might as well spend the night here then since it’s getting so late. You leaving now, I assume?” Eli asked as he stretched out on his couch.

                “Yeah, I should be there in 20 minutes.” Soohyun said as he got up off the bed.

                “Alright, see you then.” Eli said and hung up the phone. Soohyun made his way to Hoon and Dongho’s room.

                “Hey guys, sorry to bother you. I have to go over Eli’s place. Something came up. Since it’s so late I’m going to just spend the night there. If you need anything, just text me. I’ll see you guys tomorrow morning.” Soohyun said after opening their door. They both nodded and Soohyun grabbed his car keys and jacket. After putting on his shoes, he locked the apartment door and shuffled down the stairs. Getting into his car, he arrived at Eli’s apartment twenty minutes later.

                “Hey, come on in. What’s going on?” Eli asked as Soohyun entered his apartment.

                “Hey, Eli. I appreciate you letting me come over. I want to know everything that was said between you and Jayne so I know how to approach my next conversation with her.” Soohyun said as Eli nodded.

                “No problem. You want something to drink?” Eli asked.

                “Yeah. Soda’s fine.” Soohyun said as Eli went into the kitchen to grab one. He came back a minute later with one in hand.

                “So, where should I start?” Eli asked as they both sat on the couch.

                “I guess from the beginning. You said she came over to see you, right? What happened then?” Soohyun asked as he popped open the tab on the soda can and took a sip.

                “Okay, well here’s what happened…”

***

                Monday morning came way too early for Eli and Soohyun. They talked for a good hour after Soohyun arrived the night before. Even though they both went to bed shortly after, Soohyun barely slept a wink given the fact that his mind was thinking of what he would say to Jayne the next time they would meet. He hoped that she would agree to meet with him. Thoughts flashed through his head on whether he had blown his chance with her, whether she’d want to remain close with him, etc.

                “Soo…get up, we need to get ready for the van to pick us up.” Eli said as he walked over to a passed-out Soohyun on his couch. It took a few minutes for Soohyun to finally sit up and pry open his eyes. “Woah, Soohyun…you’ve got big bags under your eyes this morning. Guess you didn’t get much sleep last night, huh?” Eli said, concerned. Soohyun shook his head ‘no.’ “I’m sorry to hear that. Want a Red Bull?” Soohyun shrugged, still half-asleep. Eli grabbed one for him and opened it up before handing it over. Soohyun took three big gulps and after putting the can down on the coffee table, shook his head at the taste. It was too early for him to be drinking an energy drink.

                “Do I have enough time to grab a shower?” Soohyun asked as Eli nodded. “Oh…I might have to borrow some of your clothes since I just came in these…” Soohyun said, remembering his dilemma.

                “No problem. Just grab what you want when you get out. We probably have close to an hour before the van will be here.” Eli said as Soohyun made his way towards the bathroom.

***

                Two hours later, all of U-Kiss was at NH Media studio sitting on the floor of their dance practice room.

                “So, how did your day at the spa go this weekend? Did you guys do everything you wanted? Do you feel refreshed?” Their manager asked them as they all nodded and started talking about the services they enjoyed that day.

                “It was SO awesome! Words can’t describe it. Thank you SO much!” Kevin said.

                “It was just what we needed. We definitely feel refreshed and ready to work even harder!” AJ said as their manager smiled.

                “That’s the answer I needed to hear. Okay, looks like today’s schedule will have you practicing some of your dance moves and then possibly going to the recording studio later today to put the finishing touches on some of your tracks for the next album. Sound good?” He said as they all nodded and got up. He showed them a sheet of paper with the list of dances they’d practice and after looking at it, they got into their positions. The manager sat in his chair in the back of the room and cued the music to start playing.

 

                “Excellent form with your practice, guys! How about we take a break for lunch. I was going to order take out, what are you guys in the mood for?” Their manager asked three hours later.

                “Fried chicken!” Dongho said, grabbing his stomach.

                “Actually that sounds really good right about now.” Kiseop said as the others agreed.

                “Okay…fried chicken it is. Let me go pick it up and I’ll be back shortly.” Their manager said as he left to go pick up their lunch.

                “I’ll be right back guys. I gotta use the restroom.” Soohyun said as the others nodded. Once he reached the restroom, he locked himself in a stall and sat down fully-clothed on the toilet seat. He reached for his phone in his pants pocket and pulled up the screen to compose a text message.

            Jayne, I am SO sorry I am just now sending this text. We’re finally on a lunch break at the studio. Can you call me or just text? I hope your day is going well – Soohyun

                Soohyun nervously stared at his phone screen, praying Jayne would respond. Five minutes later, his phone rang.

                “Yeboseyo (Hello)?” Soohyun answered.

                “Annyeong (Hi), Soohyun.” Jayne said as Soohyun’s heart started to pound in his chest.

                “Jayne, listen…I feel so bad about you having to find out about who I am. I would really like to talk with you one-on-one. Are you going to be busy later on tonight?” Soohyun asked.

                “I’ll probably need to work on tomorrow’s lesson plan, but other than that I’m not busy. Why?” Jayne asked.

                “I want to take you out for dinner. Let me explain everything to you. Is that okay?” Soohyun asked nervously.

                “Sure. Just tell me the time and place. I’ll meet you there.” Jayne said as Soohyun breathed a sigh of relief quietly to himself.

                “How about the Smokey Grill around 7pm. Is that too late?” Soohyun asked, hoping it would be okay with Jayne.

                “No, that works out perfectly. I’ll try and start early on my lesson plan before I meet you. I’ll see you then. I have to get back to work. Talk to you later.” Jayne said and hung up the phone. Soohyun sat frozen, staring at his phone at the abruptness of Jayne hanging up. He didn’t know if she was upset or if she had to get back to work before being caught on her cell phone. Sighing, he looked up the number to the Smokey Grill and placed the call on his phone.

                “Annyeong Haseyo, may I speak to manager John please?” Soohyun said as he waited for the manager to pick up.

                “Yeboseyo (Hello), this is John. How may I help you?” The manager of the restaurant said.

                “Hi, John. This is Shin-Soohyun from U-Kiss. I was wondering if I could ask you to do me a favor…”

***

                7pm couldn’t come soon enough for Soohyun. He arrived at the Smokey Grill twenty minutes early and decided to meet with the manager to make sure everything was in order. He sat down in the booth after seeing everything set up for his dinner with Jayne. Tapping his fingers nervously on the table, he received a text message on his phone.

            Everything good to go?

                The text was from Eli and Soohyun quickly tapped away a response. After he sent his reply, ten minutes remained until Jayne was due to show up.

            Don’t worry. Just be yourself. If my instincts are correct, you have nothing to be scared of. I have a good feeling about this…

                Soohyun read Eli’s text and took a few deep breaths.

                “Right this way, Ms. Fleming.” The restaurant manager, John, said as he guided Jayne back to the private booth where Soohyun was sitting. Soohyun immediately got up and bowed slightly towards Jayne. She bowed back and they both sat in the booth. John handed them menus and listed the specials. Once he took their orders for drinks, he left to fill it for them.

                “Hi, Jayne. Thank you so much for coming out to have dinner with me tonight.” Soohyun said as he gazed at her.

                “Well, thank you for inviting me. How was your day?” Jayne asked, trying to make conversation.

                “To be honest, I’ve been really anxious today. It’s been hard for me to concentrate because I was worrying about what you must be thinking about what happened recently.” Soohyun said softly.

                “Soohyun, I…”

                “Jayne, I am SO sorry you had to find out the way you did. I really meant to tell you, honest. I was so scared that you wouldn’t want to be with me if you knew the truth.” Soohyun blurted out, cutting off her train of thought.

                “Soohyun, that is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Why would you think I would react that way?” Jayne said. But, before he could answer, John came back with their drinks and asked if they were ready to place their order for the main meal.

                “Uh,…can we have maybe ten minutes to look it over? There are so many delicious meals to choose from.” Soohyun asked as John nodded.

                “Absolutely, take your time. I’ll be back in a while.” John said and headed back to the kitchen.

                “Jayne, the only thing I can think of is the fact that it’s probably my insecurities getting the best of me…” Soohyun said as Jayne reached her hands over and gently placed them in his.

                “Soohyun…” Jayne said as he looked up into her eyes. “I understand why you had to do what you did. I’m not mad. I was a bit shocked and confused, but that’s over now. You are an amazing man. I feel honored that you would open up and reveal that personal side to me…” Jayne said, caressing his hands. Soohyun gently rubbed the top of her hands.

                “Really? So, you’re not mad and upset at me?” Soohyun asked in disbelief.

                “Well, I was a bit hurt at first. But, no…not mad or upset at you.” Jayne said. Soohyun gently raised her hands up to his face and placed a soft kiss on each hand.

                “You don’t know how happy that makes me. I was so scared of losing you.” Soohyun said softly. “Do you know why I brought you here to this restaurant? Take a look at the menu. I think you’ll like it.” Soohyun said with a big grin on his face. He let go of her hands and watched Jayne open the menu in front of her.

                “Wait…it seems like all they have here is American food…” Jayne said, a smile growing on her face.

                “Exactly. I don’t know how long it’s been since you’ve had some, but I figured I’d treat you to some taste of home. I know you mentioned the reason you got Jinx is because it helped you not get so homesick. Dinner is on me. Order whatever you want.” Soohyun said as Jayne placed the menu over her heart.

                “Soohyun…that is SO thoughtful. I have been craving for a burger for the longest time. This really means a lot to me!” Jayne said. She opened up the menu and started “oohing” and “aahing” over the different choices. They finally decided on two types of burgers with fries and ordered their meal once John returned.

                “So, Jayne…I’ve been thinking…” Soohyun said as Jayne gazed into his eyes.

                “Hhhmmm…what has been going on in that head of yours?” Jayne asked as Soohyun started to blush.

                “I hope you know how I feel about you…” Soohyun said as he held both of her hands once more.

                “Well, I have an idea…why don’t you elaborate…” Jayne said, a sly smile rising on her face.

                “Jayne, I…” But, Soohyun’s thoughts were interrupted by their food being brought to the table.

                “Mashikeh mogoseyo (Enjoy your meal).” John said as he placed their plates in front of them and then left.

                “Wow…this looks SO delicious!” Jayne said as she smelled the aroma of their meals. “So, what were you going to say?”

                “Don’t worry about it for now. Let’s eat!” Soohyun said as they split their burgers in half. Every few bites they started to feed each other.

                “Mmmmm…I’ve died and gone to Heaven.” Jayne said as Soohyun laughed. “Seriously, I can die happy since I’ve had a hamburger. Hahaha.” Jayne said as Soohyun took his napkin and dabbed at a spot next to her lips.

                “You had some sauce there…” Soohyun said as Jayne froze. They stared longingly at each other. Jayne slowly her lips and cleared . Picking up her drink, she took a sip as a light pink colored her cheeks. They both finished their meal and Soohyun ordered some dessert for them to share. “You know what this is, right?” Soohyun asked, a twinkle in his eye.

                “Ummm…is this what I think it is?” Jayne said as Soohyun cut a slice with his fork and gently fed it to her. “Oh my word…cheesecake? Soohyun…you are scoring major brownie points! I haven’t had cheesecake in forever!!!” Jayne moaned as Soohyun smiled.

                “Well, I guess I have made it back into your good graces.” Soohyun smirked.

                “And then some!” Jayne giggled. They finished the dessert and Soohyun paid for their meal.

                “Where is everybody at?” Jayne whispered to Soohyun as they made their way towards the entrance of the restaurant.

                “Oh, I spoke with the manager. You see, this restaurant is frequented by a lot of KPop idols because some of the entertainment companies are on this same street. So, I put in a request and he made it so that we could have a quiet dinner without being disturbed.” Soohyun said grinning. He walked up to the main counter and John handed him a piece of paper and a black sharpie pen.

                “If you’d be so kind to do the honor…” John said as Soohyun signed his name and wrote a little note about the food being amazing. “Excellent. Thank you so much, Soohyun for stopping by! Hope to see you back here soon. Bring the others as well. I’m sure the fans would love to see the rest of U-Kiss on the wall.”

                “Of course. I know Eli and Kevin will probably be regular customers with them being from the US.” Soohyun said as John took the autograph.

                “Have a great night. Take care.” John said. He escorted them to the door and unlocked it for them as he switched the “closed” sign back over to “open.” Soohyun led Jayne out of the restaurant and they both walked to the back of the street where the parking was. They reached her car and she leaned up against the driver’s side door as he stood in front of her.

                “So, what is going through your mind right now?” Soohyun asked gently.

                “About what an amazing night I had with an incredible man.” Jayne replied as Soohyun looked around.

                “When were you going to tell me about this?” He replied pretending she was talking about someone else. Jayne playfully hit his arm and Soohyun started to laugh. “So, is everything okay between us? Is there anything I can answer for you that you want to know?” Soohyun asked seriously.

                “Everything is wonderful between us. I’m glad we were able to meet each other tonight. Thank you for taking the time out of you schedule to do this.” Jayne said.

                “Well, I had to. I needed to know how you felt regarding all of this. I can’t begin to apologize about this. I know you said it’s okay, but I still feel horrible.” Soohyun said as Jayne raised her eyebrow.

                “Soohyun, stop beating yourself up over this. However, if you do want to make me feel better, I know of a way you can do so…” Jayne said as a coy smile formed on her lips.

                “How? Tell me.” Soohyun said.

                “Bbo bbo.” Jayne said softly, pointing to her left cheek. Soohyun gently kissed her cheek and pulled away, looking into her eyes. Jayne sighed contently.

                “How was that?” He asked as Jayne pretended to think.

                “Hhhhmmm…I don’t know.” She said and then pointed to her right cheek. “Bbo bbo.” She said as Soohyun leaned over and gently kissed her right cheek. His lips lingered a little bit longer on this kiss.

                “Honestly, I don’t know if that was enough…I think something more is needed instead…” Soohyun said as Jayne’s heart started to beat fast.

                “Kiseu hae jwoyo.” Jayne said and his lips gently covered hers. He pressed his body against her and Jayne moaned softly. Her arms wrapped around his waist as his hand her hair.

                “There, did that make you feel better?” Soohyun said after they parted from the kiss. Jayne nodded her head and Soohyun’s hand gently caressed her cheek. “Jayne, please tell me that your feelings for me haven’t changed. I really want to get to know you more. I’m on such a high when I’m around you. You make me so happy.”

                “Of course they didn’t. I want to get to know you more, too.” Jayne whispered as he kissed her once more.

                “What are you going to do now? Did you ever get to finish writing your lesson plan for tomorrow?” Soohyun asked as she shook her head ‘no.’

                “I do need to finish that for tomorrow…” Jayne said sadly.

                “No problem. Send me a text when you get home so I know you made it there safely.” Soohyun said as he gently kissed her forehead and wrapped her in a hug. He gave her one last passionate kiss goodbye. Jayne unlocked her car and opened the driver’s side door. She got in and he closed the door for her, waving goodbye as she started her engine. He blew her a kiss and walked to his car. Getting in, he buckled himself in his seat and sat there for a few minutes daydreaming about what had just happened. Soohyun touched his fingers to his lips and smiled. A few moments passed and then he was on his way back to his apartment.

 

*Author's Note* Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter ;) YES, the restaurant "Smokey Grill" is a real restaurant in Korea that caters to serving American-style food. This was featured on KPop Tasty Road recently with Eli. Here's the link to the video: http://global.mnet.com/mnettv/videodetail.m?searchVideoDetailVO.clip_id=150703 Go to the 30 minute mark and that is where they visit the restaurant ;)

By the way...be prepared for another twist for Chapter 12 BUHAHAHAHAHA (evil laugh)*