Chapter 21

Cinderella

 

                The following day the members of U-Kiss were at NH Media studio sitting in their dance practice room on the floor in a circle. Their manager walked in from being pulled out into the hallway for a discussion. The guys looked at him anticipating what their schedule would look like for the day.

                “Okay guys, sorry about the interruption. Soohyun and Eli, can I talk to you for a moment outside?” Their manager said as Soohyun and Eli looked at each other wondering what could be going on. They got up and followed him outside into the hallway.

                “Is everything okay, manager hyung? Did we do something wrong?” Eli asked nervously.

                “On the contrary. Soohyun, I heard a sample of the song you and Eli were working on over the weekend. I was blown away by it. It sounds so good. I know that this is a personal song for you, but I was wondering if you’d be okay with using it for a single.” The manager said as Soohyun’s mouth dropped open in astonishment.

                “R-really? I wasn’t expecting that at all, manager hyung. It is kind-of personal to me. But, if you feel that it would do well as a single, I don’t see a problem with that.” Soohyun said as Eli squeezed him in a half-hug.

                “Would it be okay to add input from the other members or did you want this to be more of a solo single? I know you had Eli help with the rap, so that’s why I was wondering.” The manager said as he folded his arms across his chest.

                “Well, why don’t we experiment with the others and see how it turns out. But, if it doesn’t fit my liking, can I keep it the way it is?” Soohyun asked as his manager nodded.

                “Alright, well looks like this is what we’ll be working on for the remainder of the day.” Their manager smiled as he motioned for them to go back in to the dance practice room. Once all three of them entered, he cleared his throat to get the attention of the rest of U-Kiss. “Everyone, we have a change of plans. Soohyun and Eli were working on a song this weekend and I feel it is such a great song that we are going to try and put the finishing touches on it today. With Soohyun’s permission, he wants to try and see how the song will turn out with all of U-Kiss participating.” The guys gathered around Soohyun and gave hugs, high fives, and pats on the back before they headed out into the hallway to make their way to the recording studio.

***

                Jayne was on her lunch break and was removing her lunch from the microwave when she turned around and saw Jenna coming into the break room. Their eyes connected and Jayne motioned for Jenna to join her at the table she would be sitting.

                “Hey, Jenna. How’s your day going so far?” Jayne asked as she set her food down in front of her and started blowing on her food to cool it off.

                “It’s going great. Thanks for asking. How about yours?” Jenna asked as she started removing food from her lunch bag.

                “I’m still on a high from last night.” Jayne giggled. Jenna raised an eyebrow and gave her a look that told her to spill every juicy detail. Jayne started to blush, making Jenna laugh as well.

                “Are you going to tell me, or am I going to have to tickle it out of you?” Jenna asked as Jayne shook her head.

                “Well, there’s not much to say. I had an amazing time with Soohyun last night. We spent most of the time talking about this past week and about my fears as well as his. He’s such an incredible guy. I’m so relieved that he gave me another chance.” Jayne said as Jenna gripped on to every word.

                “He does sound like a sweetheart! You are one lucky woman, Jayne. If I were you, I would hold on tight to him.” Jenna said as Jayne whole-heartedly agreed.

                “So, seems like you and Eli hit it off pretty well last night…” Jayne said as Jenna almost choked on her food. Jenna swallowed what was in and took a few sips of her drink to clear her airway. “Geez, Jenna, are you alright?” Jenna took a deep breath and grinned sheepishly.

                “Yeah, I’m fine. You just caught me off guard, that’s all.” Jenna said trying to avoid elaborating further.

                “I’m not going to let up on this until you tell me some details.” Jayne said with a big smirk on her face. Jenna looked at her and realized Jayne wasn’t lying.

                “What do you want to know?” Jenna asked, sighing.

                “Oooo…you make it sound like there are juicy tidbits to tell.” Jayne said as she took a bite of her meal.

                “Eli is a true gentleman. Soohyun dropped the both of us off at his apartment and we immediately started chatting about anything and everything. He told me about U-Kiss and a bit about himself and I told him about my time in the States as well as coming over here to Korea to go to college and getting my degree and my job here now. He’s so easy to talk to. I felt so comfortable around him. He was so sweet, too, because when it came time for me to go back to my apartment he rode with me in the cab back to my place before having it take him back to his. We exchanged numbers and I know he’ll have a crazy schedule just like Soohyun, but I feel like we have so much in common. Who knows what will happen.” Jenna said with a big grin on her face, recalling the memory from the night before.

                “Has he texted you, yet?” Jayne asked as Jenna bit her lip.

                “Well, he texted me after he got back to his apartment. We texted for a few minutes before we both went to bed. I haven’t heard anything from him today, though. I would have no clue what they would be up to today since it’s the start of a new week.” Jenna said.

                “Sounds like the two of you are off to a good start.” Jayne said as Jenna continued to eat the remainder of her lunch.

                “I hope we are able to get to know each other more.” Jenna said.

                “Well, someone told me that he likes you a lot.” Jayne said as Jenna’s eyes got big.

                “Who said that?” Jenna asked after swallowing what she was eating.

                “I have two sources who have confirmed it.” Jayne said as Jenna grabbed her hand and looked intently in her eyes.

                “Who?” Jenna asked, pleading.

                “You should know. You were with both of them yesterday.” Jayne said smugly.

                “Nu uh. I don’t believe you.” Jenna said as Jayne nodded her head in response. Jenna let out a tiny squeal as Jayne leaned in closer towards her face.

                “What do you think Eli was saying to me before I went to my car on my way back to my apartment?” Jayne said as Jenna’s mouth dropped, recalling the picture in her head. Jenna was about to say something but pulled away as she heard a faint sound from her cell phone going off in her purse. She pressed the button on her phone to read the text message.

                “Here, you should read this.” Jenna said as she slid the phone on the table over to Jayne.

            Hi, Jenna. I had an amazing time hanging out with you last night. Soo will text Jayne shortly, but we’re going to be doing a live performance in a few days and were wondering if you both wanted to come along. Of course you will have front row seats and all-access/backstage passes. What do you say? – Eli

                “Wow! I’d be all for it. My first U-Kiss concert. Ask him for what day and time. I’m game if we don’t have to take off work for it.” Jayne said as Jenna agreed. Jenna picked up her phone and started texting a reply back. Two minutes later the phone buzzed and Jenna read the response.

                “Looks like we should be able to make it. Eli said it’ll be Friday night around 7pm.” Jenna said, a humungous grin on her face. Jayne gave her a thumbs up as she was taking the last bite of her lunch. Jenna texted Eli back letting him know that they would be able to attend. Looking at the time, both girls got up and discarded their trash as they headed out of the break room.

                “This is so exciting! Guess I should be hearing from Soohyun soon.” Jayne said as Jenna grinned.

                “You know what this means, right?” Jenna asked as Jayne had a confused look on her face. “We should probably go shopping for a new outfit for the concert.” Jenna said as Jayne rolled her eyes.

                “Guess it couldn’t hurt.” Jayne said as they decided to meet Wednesday after work in town.

                “Have a good rest of your day. Text me later on tonight.” Jenna said as Jayne gave her a quick hug before making her way to her classroom to continue the rest of her work day.