Chapter 20

Cinderella

                The remainder of Jayne’s students filed out of her classroom. It seemed like a long day as she was anticipating her meeting with Eli. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach as she picked up her phone. She decided to send him a text thinking that he may be busy with work.

            Hey, Eli. I just got done with work. Are you busy? Do you think we’ll be able to meet up today? – Jayne

                Jayne sent the text message and started gathering her things.

            Hey, Jayne. We should be getting done with our day within the hour. We have been practicing our dance moves and have worked up quite a sweat. I don’t mind meeting up with you later, but need to have time to shower and change into something else first. Can I call you when we’re done?

                Jayne smiled as she read the text from Eli and had a big grin on her face as she tapped away a response.

            Sounds great. Take all the time you need. Have a great remainder of your work day. Look forward to seeing you tonight.

                After sending the message, Jayne gathered her purse and materials needed to work on her lesson plan for the following day. She walked across the hall and stuck her head in Jenna’s classroom.

                “Hey, Jenna. How was your day? You have anything planned for tonight?” Jayne asked as Jenna turned around from wiping her blackboard clean.

                “Oh, hey Jayne. It was good, thanks. Feeling any better?” Jenna asked as Jayne nodded and smiled.

                “Actually I do. Um, did you have any plans for this evening?” Jayne asked as Jenna put the chalkboard eraser down.

                “Nothing comes to mind. Why?” Jenna asked as Jayne got a big smirk on her face.

                “Well, I was going to go out and grab a cup of coffee later. I don’t care what plans you may have, but you are coming with me. End of discussion.” Jayne said as Jenna laughed.

                “Oh, is that so?” Jenna said as Jayne giggled.

                “I’ll make it worth your time. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.” Jayne said as she turned to leave. “Oh, and keep your phone handy. I’ll call and give you the details shortly.”

***

                Eli had just finished getting dressed from his shower when he heard a knock at the door. He walked over and opened the door and invited Soohyun inside.

                “So, have you decided where to meet Jayne to get the coffee?” Soohyun asked.

                “Yeah. Are you ready to leave now? I need to call Jayne and let her know when to meet me there.” Eli said as Soohyun nodded. Eli placed the call to Jayne and gave her the directions and let her know he was leaving from his apartment. After hanging up the phone, the both of them made their way down to Soohyun’s car, making sure that their attire was played down to not draw attention to themselves. Soohyun pulled the car up to the coffee shop twenty minutes later and Eli called Jayne’s phone to see if she was inside. Once he hung up, he looked at Soohyun. “Alright, Jayne’s inside. I’ll try and get a feel for what she has to say in regards to you and if everything is good to go, I’ll send you a text so that you can come join us.” Soohyun looked nervous and took a deep breath. “Hey, you need to think good thoughts. No need to get all anxious.” Eli said as he playfully punched him in the arm. Soohyun laughed nervously and watched Eli exit the car. He was glad his car windows were tinted as dark as they were to keep others from seeing him inside. Eli pushed his baseball cap down further and slipped on his sunglasses as he made his way up to the door of the coffee shop. Once inside, he spotted Jayne in a corner booth and walked in that direction. A minute later he reached the booth and Jayne got up from her seat. She went to bow slightly but couldn’t contain herself and wrapped her arms around him in a hearty hug. Eli laughed as he wrapped his arms around her and squeezed her back.

                “It’s so good to see you again, Eli. I missed you!” Jayne said up against his chest. She broke apart from the hug to not draw too much attention and motioned for him to sit down.

                “I missed you, too. But, I know a certain someone who missed you even more.” Eli said as Jayne looked away, avoiding eye contact.

                “I feel so bad, Eli. I wouldn’t blame Soohyun if he didn’t want to have anything to do with me.” Jayne said as she hung her head in shame. Eli reached out and grabbed her hand. Jayne looked up and gazed at him, searching his eyes for any sign of redemption.

                “Why would you say that, Jayne? I highly doubt he feels that way. I know the photos scared you. It’s a completely normal reaction. Someone took advantage of the privacy that you shared with Soohyun and it made you feel vulnerable. Unfortunately it comes with the territory. Manager hyung will always try to make sure that stuff never gets released to the public, but he may not be able to stop it every time. I’m just giving you a fair warning.” Eli said as Jayne tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

                “Did you tell him that I would be contacting him soon?” Jayne asked meekly.

                “Why yes, yes I did. He was very happy to hear the news. Tell you what. How about I take a quick video of you on my phone of you giving him a message and then I’ll send it to his phone. That way, you won’t feel awkward about what to say later on.” Eli said as Jayne started blushing.

                “W-what do I say? Why do you have to put me on the spot like this?” Jayne said as she playfully smacked his arm. Eli laughed and shrugged.

                “I don’t know…just tell him that you hope to see him soon so you can talk and clear things up. Just be yourself. He’ll understand.” Eli said as he pulled out his phone. Jayne frantically whipped out her cell phone and put it in the camera mode to check her appearance. Once she was satisfied, she placed her phone back in her purse and looked across the table into the tiny lens of Eli’s phone. “Okay, I’ll record in 3, 2, 1…” Eli said and then pressed a button on his phone and gave her a thumbs up indicating that he was recording.

                “Annyeong haseyo, Soohyun. I’m so sorry about the past few days. I had some thinking to do with everything that happened recently. I don’t know your feelings on this, but I would love to chat with you and see where it goes. I hope to see you soon.” Jayne bowed slightly and Eli stopped the recording.

                “There, that wasn’t so painful, was it?” Eli asked as he sent Soohyun the text message. Jayne shrugged and looked down at the table. “You were fine, Jayne. I’m sure he’ll love getting this. How about we go get something to drink, okay?” They both got up from the table and Eli motioned for her to go first.

                “Actually, I have to go to the restroom. I’ll be right back, okay?” Jayne said.

                “That’s fine. Is it okay if I go wait in line?” Eli asked.

                “Absolutely. I’ll be right back.” Jayne made her way into the bathroom and saw Jenna playing on her cell phone. “Okay, sorry to keep you waiting. You remember what we agreed on while we were driving here, correct?”

                “Yes, Jayne. Not to make a scene and to act completely normal. I’m curious to see who you know. I wonder if I have heard of them before.” Jenna said as Jayne got an evil smirk on her face.

                “I guess we’ll find out. I told him I had to come in here and he’s waiting in line. Go ahead and wait at the table and I’ll get whatever you want.” Jayne said as Jenna described her drink. To not make it look obvious, Jayne told Jenna to wait a few minutes before walking out. Jayne let Jenna know what booth they were sitting at and purposely left her jacket on the seat so Jenna could find it.

                Eli was glad that Jayne had decided to take a quick bathroom break. He texted Soohyun to make sure he got the video clip. Once he got a text back from him, Eli texted a message saying he would let him know when he could come in and see Jayne. By the time Jayne got up to the line to order, Eli had already placed his and was standing off to the side. After the two of them got their drinks and pastries, they headed back to their table.

                “You got two drinks? Does teaching take that much energy out of you?” Eli asked as Jayne shook her head and laughed.

                “No, not quite. Depends on the day and the lesson involved. I actually got this drink for a friend of mine.” Jayne said. Just as they were inches away from the booth, Eli stopped in his tracks and grabbed Jayne’s arm.

                “Uh, I think someone took our spot.” Eli said looking down making sure he wouldn’t get noticed.

                “Huh? Oh…her? Actually I mentioned this earlier on the phone.” Jayne said as Eli looked at her confused. “You know…the deal we made when all three of us went to Namdaemun Market…you do remember, don’t you?” Jayne asked as Eli raised his eyebrow. “Or, I could tell her to just go home. Would be a pity for my friend to not meet an amazing guy…” Jayne said as Eli gasped.

                “You brought her here to meet me?” Eli said as he gulped nervously.

                “Wow, you catch on quick. Now just relax. I told her to be on her best behavior, so the same goes for you. Don’t worry, I didn’t tell her who you were. I don’t know if she already knows who you are, though.” Jayne said.

                “How do I look?” Eli whispered as he started to feel self-conscious.

                “You look fine. Now, work that charm of yours and just be yourself.” Jayne said as they closed the distance and sat down in the booth. Eli knew that Soohyun would be coming in shortly and wanted Jayne’s back to him, so he played it off as being confident and sat next to Jenna.

                “Annyeong haseyo.” Eli said as Jenna smiled.

                “Annyeong haseyo.” Jenna said to Eli as Jayne handed Jenna her drink.

                “Jenna, this is my friend, Eli. Eli, this is Jenna. She’s my co-worker at the hagwon.” Jayne said as the two looked at each other. Eli decided to remove his sunglasses, but kept the baseball cap on.

                “It’s a pleasure meeting you.” Eli said as he flashed a drop-dead gorgeous smile.

                “The pleasure is mine.” Jenna said shyly as she started to blush.

                “Do you know who Eli is?” Jayne asked Jenna.

                “Yeah.” Jenna mumbled, taking a sip of her drink so she wouldn’t have to explain herself further. Eli smiled and gazed at Jenna, taking in her beauty. She seemed sweet and Eli hoped she would be the same as Jayne in terms of not freaking out and treating him like a human instead of a KPop idol. While the three of them enjoyed their meals, Eli sent a text to Soohyun from his lap telling him to make his way inside of the coffee shop.

                “Jenna, one of the guys from U-Kiss is coming in to meet Jayne. I need you to not show any reaction because Jayne doesn’t know he’s here.” Eli whispered into her ear as he draped his arm around her shoulder. Jenna nodded silently as Jayne gave Eli a surprised look. She quietly kicked his shoe under the table and he grinned back at her. They went back to their small chatter and Soohyun walked in through the door. Eli made eye contact with him and glanced back down. Soohyun walked as quietly as he could over to where they were sitting. Jayne’s back to him, Soohyun reached his hands out and gently placed them over her eyes. He bent his head forward and had his mouth inches from her ear.

                “Annyeong haseyo, Jayne.” Soohyun whispered. Jayne froze. Her hands reached up to close over his. Once she pulled them down, she turned her face and looked into his chocolate eyes.

                “Soohyun!” Jayne gasped as she got up and hugged him fiercely. His arms wrapped around her and held her back. Jenna smiled as Eli gave him a thumbs up.

                “Is this who Jayne has been talking about?” Jenna whispered in Eli’s ear. He nodded. “Aaaawww, they look so cute together.”

                “I agree.” Eli whispered. After Jayne let go of their embrace, they both sat down opposite Eli and Jenna.

                “Soohyun, this is my friend, Jenna. She works with me at the hagwon. Jenna, I believe you know who Soohyun is.” Jayne said as Jenna smiled.

                “Oh, I do. I’ve heard lots about you, Soohyun.” Jenna said as Jayne shot her a look.

                “I hope they’ve been good things…” Soohyun said as he glanced at Jenna and then Jayne.

                “Of course. Nothing but the best.” Jenna said as Jayne started to blush. There was an awkward silence at the table.

                “Jayne, can I talk to you for a minute?” Soohyun asked as Jayne nodded. “Please excuse us.” Soohyun said to Eli and Jenna. He motioned for Jayne to grab her jacket and purse. Once she gathered her things, they made their way to his car outside. He opened the car door for her and walked around to the driver’s side door. Once they were both inside, he took Jayne’s hand in his. “I know I took you by surprise, Jayne. This was all Eli’s idea. Sneaky little devil, huh?” Soohyun said.

                “Doesn’t surprise me in the least.” Jayne said matter-of-factly.

                “I got the video that Eli took of you a bit ago. Did you mean what you said?” Soohyun asked as Jayne bit her lip.

                “Every word, Soohyun. Jeongmal joesong haeyo (I’m so sorry). I…” But before she could finish her sentence, Soohyun leaned over and kissed her softly. It caught Jayne off guard, but in a very good way. Breaking apart from the short kiss, he cupped her face and let his thumb her cheek.

                “I missed you, Jayne. So much. I was going crazy not hearing from you.” Soohyun said as he gazed into her eyes.

                “I missed you more, Soohyun. I know I didn’t contact you and probably confused you with how I reacted. Jenna put everything into perspective for me. She said if I waited a few days before I called you, it would ensure that I would have a clear mind on the situation and not be led by my emotions.” Jayne said as she placed her left hand over his, leaning into his hand with her face.

                “Do you feel that way? Have a clear mind, I mean.” Soohyun asked softly wanting to make her feel as comfortable as possible.

                “I do.” Jayne said as she took a deep breath. Soohyun waited patiently for her answer. “Jenna made me realize how lucky I am to have you in my life. I knew it already, I just needed reassuring.” Jayne giggled as she stuck out her tongue. “But, in all honesty, you sacrifice so much already with doing what you do. The last thing you need is drama from me. I want to be there for you and give you the sense of normalcy that you deserve. I’m not perfect, Soohyun. I just hope that you can forgive me.”

                “Of course I do. I was praying to God that I didn’t scare you off. You make me so happy, Jayne. I feel so comfortable around you and at ease.” Soohyun said as Jayne smiled.

                “I’m glad to hear that because you make me very happy, too.” Jayne said. He leaned over and kissed her again, this time longer and slower. Jayne closed her eyes and felt fireworks go off inside her head. It felt so right.

                “Well, I’m sure Eli and Jenna are wondering what we’re doing. What do you want to do now?” Soohyun asked.

                “We can go back to my place and hang out if you want. I know someone who will be very happy to see you.” Jayne said as Soohyun grinned. He texted Eli and offered to give them a ride back to Eli’s apartment since Eli rode in his car. Soohyun looked up at Jayne and then got a sad look on his face.

                “What’s wrong?” Jayne asked as Soohyun glanced at his phone.

                “I just realized that you drove here. You probably need to drive back so you have a way to work tomorrow, right?” Soohyun said as Jayne paused and then got a bummed out look on her face.

                “Oh, yeah. You’re right. You want me to follow you guys or just go straight to my place?” Jayne asked as the car doors opened and Eli and Jenna hopped in.

                “Jenna, were you going to ride with Jayne or did you want to ride with us?” Soohyun asked as Jenna glanced at Jayne.

                “Um…if it’s okay with Jayne, I’d like to ride with you.” Jenna said as Jayne feigned shock.

                “Does nobody love me?” Jayne said as they all laughed. “It’s alright, Jenna. I’m just gonna head back to my apartment then. I’ll see you at work tomorrow, Jenna. Thank you for everything, Eli.” Jayne said turning around in her seat towards him. She waved goodbye and then got out of the car to head to her own.

                “Jayne, wait!” Eli said as he opened his door. Jayne turned around and he wrapped her in a big bear hug. “Thank you so much for bringing Jenna along. She’s a really sweet girl. I like her a lot.” Eli said into her ear.

                “Aaawww. I’m glad! I hope you guys get to know each other more. She’s a really great friend. You better treat her good, or else you’ll be hearing from me!” Jayne said as she poked him in the chest.

                “Yes, noona.” Eli said, laughing. Jayne waved goodbye and walked to her car as Eli hopped back in to Soohyun’s car. Jayne breathed a sigh of relief as she started her car and made her way back to the apartment.