The Missing Feeling

BETWEEN TWO HEARTS

CHAPTER 5

 

 

 

 

TY POV

 

       She didn’t attend the college today.

       The fact, actually, made me wonder, curious, and... slightly frustated. I even couldn’t concentrate on what I supposed to listen. I wasn’t able to put myself together to absorb what the lecturer tried to deliver to us, whereby the subject today belonged to the most important and crucial one. I found my brain wasn’t cooperative enough; however I couldn’t put all the blame on it, right? I had no idea yet what happened to me, but everytime I tried to focus on the subject, it always ended up to her again.

        But finally my reverie just got scattered by one thing. Not such a good thing, actually; however it surprised me already.

       The lecturer announced about holding sudden quiz. It wasn’t because I didn’t prepare it well, but... hell... How could on earth she was so unfortunate like this? I meant, how could she didn’t attend the class in time when the lecturer just about to give us the quiz, which meant she would definitely lose her mark, whereas it played an important role to determine the final result.

       But what could I say? What could I do? I couldn’t just put my hands up and say to the lecturer: what if we postpone it until the next meeting? I didn’t have much time to process it any longer then, as I heard the lecturer started to ask us to take a piece of paper and began to announce the questions.

       I felt sorry for her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR POV

       It had been third day already Taeyeon didn’t meet Jessica. It wasn’t because Jessica still absent, but it was indeed because they didn’t share the same class. But one thing for sure happened meanwhile, that somehow, Taeyeon felt there’s something missing in her life. It was strange, she knew, as she just met Jessica few days ago, and they even barely knew each other. But... the missing feeling was kind of one thing she couldn’t just ignore. For adding some bad news, she even didn’t get Jessica’s contact yet. She blamed her foolishness for it.

       Taeyeon sighed and dumped herself on the bench in front of the class that afternoon. Feeling frustation again, as she actually just searching around and didn’t find the girl’s presence yet.

What actually happens to me? Why she seems drive me crazy like this? And what if she knew what I feel... It would absolutely freak her out, right... to find someone she barely knew just bothered herself spending time to look for her...

       But an unmistakable girl voice just yanked her reverie.

       “Taengo! Congrats, you just hit the highest grade!”

       Taeyeon tilted her head to face the voice owner, that was no other than her best friend, Sunny. They’re actually close enough, but as lately Sunny got into relationship, the time they used to share together just got decreased.

       “W-what exam?” Taeyeon frowned as she didn’t remember they had recent exam lately.

       “Aigooo... Not a final exam, indeed,” Sunny shook her head in disbelief discover her absent-minded friend.

       “The quiz. I’m talking about the latest quiz,” Sunny explained as she took a seat beside her.

       “Owh, the sudden quiz? The result already been out?” Taeyeon now could get it. A smile started to play across her face.

       “Yeah, dumbo,” Sunny chuckled. “How could the student with the highest score just got the news late!!”

       Taeyeon giggled dorkily. “I didn’t notice it, Sunny-ya,” she admitted.

       “Did something happen to you?” Sunny suddenly asked while scrutinizing her face. Though they lately rare to spend time together, but as a best friend, Sunny always could detect every single thing happened to her.

       Taeyeon yanked her hand and giggled again, nervously.

       “What do you mean?”

       “You tell me, Taengooo,” Sunny dragged her words lazily and rolled her eyes as she felt bored with Taeyeon playing-fool habit.

       “Lately seemed something were bothering your mind. Wanna share with me?”

       “Ooh,” Taeyeon gasped unconsciously. “N-nothing. I’m fine.”

       “Yeah Kim Taeyeon. And the Pope isn’t a Christian, then,” Sunny rolled her eyes again.

       Taeyeon heaved a huge sigh as she knew sooner or later Sunny would get to know it. It was just a matter of time. But what should she say to Sunny? She just couldn’t tell her that she... she had some feeling to the blonde girl she just met couple previous days. She meant, she even wasn’t sure about what happened to her...

       “You’re right,” finally Taeyeon admitted, briefly. “But... I just didn’t know how to tell you.”

       “Yahhhh... Is it all the things you can say to your best friend, huh?” Sunny pouted and smacked her shoulder lightly.

       “Don’t get me wrong, Sunny-yaaa,” Taeyeon replied, revealed a little aegyeo that she knew it always worked for the Queen of Aegyeo herself.

       “I promise I’d tell you once I’m sure about it.”

       “At least give me a clue, or else, I’d stalk you!” Sunny released a fake threat.

       Taeyeon let out a little giggle.

       “Yeah, I think I... I...,” Taeyeon trailed off.

       “I think I...?” Sunny repeated impatiently.

       “I... like someone.”

       “Uwahhhh!!! Did you?” Sunny clapped her hands excitingly. “Jinjja???”

       Taeyeon managed to nod her head.

       “Why you seem so exciting?”

       “Hell! How could you question it to me? It had been a long time since...,” Sunny suddenly clasped as she realized she shouldn’t spill it out. But Taeyeon was too perceptive to get what she was about to say. Taeyeon just smiled bitterly.

       “Do you think I’m unfaithful?”

       “Ani!” Sunny hastily replied. “Of course not. It’s her who left you first. Even... she didn’t left, Taeng! She dumped you!!! She didn’t worth for you!!!”

       “I believe Tiffany had a reason, Sunny.”

       “Hell. How could after all she did to you, you’re still on her side? It’s totally her lost to leave someone as wonderful as you, Taeyeon!!! And now, it’s time to move. I’m really happy finally you get over it and open your heart and find someone else!”

       “It’s too fast to conclude, Sunny.”

       “I don’t give a damn. All the things I can see now is finally you’re out from your hiding place. I once thought you’d never make it as I knew... you really loved Tiffany so damn much...”

       “Anyway... Who? Who’s the lucky one?”

       “Hey, buddy, we’d a deal that I’d tell you only if I’m sure about it,” Taeyeon winked and started to rise from the bench.

       Sunny pouted again but it just didn’t reversely work for Taeyeon. Taeyeon smirked and patted her best friend shoulder a few times before she left.

       “I got to go to see my quiz result! Don’t worry. You’ll be the first to know once I make it.”

      

 

 

       Jessica’s eyes were widened while staring at the announcement board.

       First, she blamed herself mentally as she just missed the quiz. I’m really into a big trouble then. How could I passed this subject with one missing quiz???

       But at the next time, her heart just raced out when she found her name was included on the result announcement.

       JESSICA JUNG. GRADE: A.

       She stared again for some moment. She didn’t believe it. She wasn’t sure about it...

It might be a... mistake... Or else... there’s another Jessica Jung attended the class... No... But no... As I remembered, there’s only one Jessica Jung attended it... But... how could it happen??? I even didn’t appear at this college at the day...

       As if could read her mind, someone’s gentle voice just heard from behind.

       “There’s no mistake. It’s indeed you.”

       Though actually Jessica didn’t need to her head to make sure whose voice it was, she just did it. Their eyes met and she didn’t know how to describe it, but all the things she felt now was... a pair of eyes holding on her now just comfort her... and spread warm sensation she missed already.

       “T-taeyeon?”

       “Hi, how’ve you been?” Taeyeon greeted calmly and beamed smile toward the girl which was now confusing.

       “I... confuse,” Jessica managed to say. “Y-you said it wasn’t a mistake... How can you sure about it?”

       “Because I myself did it.”

       “YOU... WHAT?”

       “I made a copy for you,” Taeyeon said gingerly. “I’m sorry... I hope you don’t mind... It’s just... a spontan action. The idea just came up on my mind, I had no enough time to think about...”

       Taeyeon just didn’t have any chance to finish her words as slowly but sure she caught a smile spread on Jessica’s face now. For the first time after some awkward situation, Jessica let out a giggle.

       “You’re so cute and funny,” she cut off. “How could on earth you said sorry to me for sort of thing I supposed to show my gratitude to you...”

       “I... I...,” Taeyeon felt her face blushed now as she thought she just acted a fool.

       Jessica giggled even more.

       “But Taeyeon... why did you do it for me? It’s risky, right?” Jessica finally asked once she could manage her laugh.

       This time Taeyeon just didn’t find any answer to spill out. Why did I do it for her??? Because I didn’t want her got into trouble... But why? Because... all the things I wanted was only to see her happy... Why? Because... I... like... Arghhhh...

       “Taetae??”

       “Ugh...,” Taeyeon trailed off. “For helping someone, do we need a reason?” Taeyeon finally perceptively answered. The answer stunned Jessica for some moment as she didn’t expect would get sort of answer.

       “But... it’s risky, Taeng.”

       “Make it simple then. You owe me something. Is it okay?” Taeyeon smirked.

       “Fair enough. What do you want from me then?” Jessica replied.

I want to know you more... and spend much more time with you... Can I?

       But of course Taeyeon didn’t let her mind out. She gently held Jessica’s hand to tow her then. It just flew naturally.

       “Accompany me to get late lunch.”

       “What?”

       “You heard me, Sica,” Taeyeon smirked.

       “Is it what called as the way I compensate you???”

       “You mind?” Taeyeon tilted her head, widened her smile.

       Jessica shook her head in amusement. “You’re so generous.”

       “Only to some person who deserves it.”

       Taeyeon was about bite her own tongue after releasing the words. What the hell I just said??? Can’t you control yourself to not to spill some obvious tendencious words, Taeyeon??? Don’t let her find you freak, babo!

       But strangely, Jessica didn’t take it as a matter. Moreover, she just smiled secretly.

       “I should be thankful then, to be counted as someone who deserves to get it, Taeng.”

 

 

 

       Taeyeon brought Jessica to some restaurant near the college. For the first time, Taeyeon realized, the blonde girl walking beside her now was really beautiful and adorable. And for the first time as well, she realized, the missing feeling had already completely been found now. It was... the moment they shared together. The moment she witnessed her laughed, her smile, and her presence...

       “Sica...,” Taeyeon started to pipe up after some comfortable silence during their walk.

       “Ne?”

       “Few days ago... Were you mad at me? I... I meant, I came to your house and...”

       “I knew about it,” Jessica nodded her head and stopped her steps.

       “I’m sorry, Taeyeon. I didn’t meet you, I didn’t mean to ignore you or...”

       “It’s okay,” Taeyeon replied and smiled. “I just want to know wheter you’re getting mad at me or...”

       “No... I wasn’t getting mad at you, Taeyeon. Please don’t get me wrong.”

       “Then, what’s it?” Taeyeon asked gently, holding her gaze to her.

       “I...,” Jessica felt lost of words.

       Taeyeon smiled and squeezed her hands. “It’s okay if you don’t want to tell me. The most important thing was you didn’t get mad at me. It’s relieving.”

       Taeyeon’s understanding remarks just touched her heart already.

       “I’m sorry,” it’s all the things Jessica could say. Actually she wanted to tell Taeyeon everything. She didn’t want to hide anything from her, but she just wasn’t ready... Wait... wait...  

Why I want to tell her everything? Why I don’t want to hide anything from her??? What kind of comfortable feeling I feel right now? It’s been a long time I don’t feel such of feeling... W-what happens to me now?

 

       As Taeyeon decided to start to walk again, she guided Jessica to walk along with her and curled her arms around her shoulder. But once she did it, she just catch Jessica’s weird expression. It could be said that Jessica was looked like shriek in pain, holding some pain.

       “Sica?? Are you ok?” Taeyeon asked in worry tone but couldn’t figure out what caused her acted so yet.

       She gently guided Jessica to sit on the nearly bench at the park and patiently waited for her explanation. Jessica only could manage to hang her head low, didn’t dare to meet Taeyeon’s eyes as if she was caught red handed do something wrong.

       Taeyeon gently touched her chin and made her face her.

       “What happens, Sica? Please tell me,” Taeyeon persuaded with some kind of tone that was hard to decline.

       “Did your shoulder get hurt?” she asked carefully.

       After being silence for some moment, finally Jessica nodded her head, admitted it. Her face now turned into gloom one and her eyes now were watery. Taeyeon still couldn’t decipher what was going on yet, but all the things she knew now was Jessica needed her. Even if Jessica didn’t need her as a whole person, she believed that at least, her shoulder to spill the tears out.

       “May I see it?” Taeyeon asked for permission and still didn’t find Jessica’s answer yet, but from her reaction she knew Jessica didn’t mind about her request. Taeyeon carefully rolled the sleeve up and once she found the large bruises on her upper arm region, her eyes widened, looked like almost bugged out from the socket.

       There’s one bruise on her upper arm, and there’s another one on the shoulder.

       “How could...”

       “I’m so careless. I... slipped...”

       “Don’t lie,” Taeyeon cut off and shook her head firmly. Her eyes now seemed so fierce.

       “I’d change the question. Who the hell did it to you?”

       Finally Jessica couldn’t hold her tears anymore. Taeyeon already hit the jackpot. There’s nothing left to be hidden again.

       As if already could read everything, Taeyeon went on with the next rhetorical question.

       “Is it the reason you didn’t attend the college that day???”

       With the tears run down her cheek, Jessica nodded her head reluctantly.

       Taeyeon gritted her teeth to manage her anger.

I’d kill anybody who dared to hurt a girl like her!!!

       But as she realized Jessica still didn’t want to tell her about the one who hurt her, she didn’t force again. Gently she wrapped her arms around Jessica’s shoulder again, this time more carefully, to guide her head to lean on her chest and poured the tears there. She even didn’t mind if her shirt would be drench by her tears... She even didn’t mind if Jessica kept doing the same position forever. She’s so ready for it.

       “Don’t cry. I’m here for you. Please, don’t cry,” Taeyeon whispered while caressing Jessica’s back of head.

       Jessica’s sob was gradually ebbed. She made a chance to peer up, to look at the one who gave her the secure and comfortable feelings already.

       “I’m afraid, Taeng...,” she finally managed to say. Taeyeon embraced her more tightly and shook her head.

       “Don’t be. Don’t be afraid. I’ll always be there for you. And I promise you, I won’t let anybody hurt you again.”

 

 

 

 

to be continued...