Chapter 2 – Changes

All I need is you

 

 

 

- So? You’re still up for tonight, right?

Yuri leaned on the table in front of her.

- Sure, why not?

- Great! – Sooyoung smiled excitedly. – I’ve been single for too long, you know? I need someone to cuddle.

- What about me? – Yuri joked – Not good enough for you?

- Oh, give me a break… You know what? I think it’s time for you to have a stable relationship too. These parties are going on for too long already, don’t you think?

 - No, I don’t. I don’t want a stable relationship, I’m tired of those.

- You only had one… - Sooyoung grinned.

- And it was enough. – She said in a serious tone, turning away to leave her friend’s office.

- Get over it, Yul! – She managed to say before her friend slammed the door.

Yuri sighed in despair, seeing Sunny and Tiffany in the corridor.

- Get over what? – The shorter one asked.

- Not your business. Go back to work. – Yuri said without stop walking.

- Was she talking about that g…

Yuri turned to face the two girls, making them stop talking.

- I told you to forget this person has ever existed.

- Yul… Soo is right. – Tiffany was serious.

- I got over it already.

- Honestly? It doesn’t seem like you did. – Sunny joined.

- You’re crazy. Just leave me alone.

- Stop fooling yourself!

Yuri rolled her eyes disappearing at the end of the corridor.

 

***

 

That was awkward. Yuri looked around. Sooyoung was dancing; Sunny and Tiffany were at the bar in the middle of some weird couple interaction while she stood next to them, doing nothing. No interest in drinking, dancing… or looking for anyone.

- That’s not good. – She told herself, angry.

She stood up, grabbing her drink she had neglected until now and drank it all at once. She exhaled slowly. She needed to find something fun to do and take that disturbing blonde out of her head.

- Yul, are you ok? – Sunny questioned when she saw her friend looking around a bit anxious.

- Yeah, yeah. – She answered without taking her eyes of the dance floor.

- Oh, just leave her, honey. She must be looking for her next victim. – Fany said ironically.

Yuri ignored her. She finally found an interesting girl at the other side of the dance floor. She watched at her discreetly for a while, took a deep breath and walked towards her.

- Here we go! – Sunny mumbled watching her friend walking away.

- One day she’ll find someone who will make her forget her past.

- Yeah… - the shortest one leaned her head on her girlfriend’s shoulder. – Are you sure you don’t want to dance?

- Better not. Two drinks and I’m already feeling dizzy. I should have danced first. – She laughed. – My level of alcohol tolerance is not as high as yours.

- Then why didn’t you ask to be the one driving? – Sunny complained.

- Rock, Paper, Scissors is fairer. You just had bad luck, baby. – She gave her a quick kiss and smiled.

- Whatever… - Sunny said, leaning one arm on the counter and pulling her closer by grabbing her shirt using her free hand. – Come here, there are many other ways to have fun.

Fany smiled, allowing her girlfriend to take the lead, kissing her tenderly and wrapping her waist.

Yuri smiled at the brown haired woman when she reached her.

- Hey.

- Hey, Yuri.

So she knew her. She didn’t know yet if that was a good or bad thing. She shrugged it off. It didn’t matter.

- I noticed you watching me. Wanna talk?

- Sure. – The woman said, running her hand through her hair in a seductive manner.

Minutes later they were both kissing, away from the dance floor, leaning on a wall. Yuri couldn’t feel anything. There was absolutely no pleasure in kissing her and that was scaring the hell out of her.

- Wanna go to my place? – The woman whispered close to her neck.

Yuri stood silent for a while. She was the one who asked those questions.

- No.

The woman stepped back, looking at her curiously.

- What?

- I’m… I’m not in the mood today. – She said in a serious tone of voice.

- That’s funny, Yuri. – The other one laughed incredulously.

She remained serious and backed away running a hand on her forehead.

- I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have started it. I’m not feeling well.

The next second she was walking away leaving a shocked woman behind. Yuri returned to where their friends were and sat beside Fany. She could feel the three of them staring at her.

- What happened? – Sunny asked.

- Nothing. – She mumbled.

- Did that girl kicked you? – Soo was confused.

- No. I did.

Their eyes widen in surprise.

- Why?

- She invited me to go to her place, but I’m not ok today.

- Who are you and what did you do to Yuri? – Soo asked in shock.

- Are you sick? – Fany put her hand on Yuri’s forehead to see if she had fever.

- No. – she answered impatiently. – I just don’t wanna do anything today, ok? I’m not in the mood to make out with anyone.

A heavy silence emerged between them, being broken only a few seconds later by Sunny.

- Who is she?

- What? – Yuri asked surprised.

- You’re not normal but you’re not with that dark aura that appears every time you see that woman either. That can only mean one thing… You met someone. – Sunny said, proud of herself.

- Are you crazy? – Yuri forced a laughter.

Her three friends looked at each other.

- You like someone. – they said together.

- I’m going to call Seo. – Fany said, a huge smile plastered on her face, getting her cell phone.

- NO! – Yuri quickly took the phone from Tiffany’s hand scaring her.

- You don’t want Seo to know about this? – Soo said in deep thought. – It must be that friend who just got here in Korea.

Sooyoung was jumping like a kid, happy for her own conclusion. Yuri tried to hide how desperate she was to hide it.

- No, it’s someone else. I met her yesterday… At the park… - She said nervously.

- You admitted something you were denying few minutes ago? It IS Seohyun’s friend. – Sunny said laughing.

- Give me my phone back, I’m not calling anyone.

Yuri sighed, giving Fany’s phone back to her. She had lost.

- Please, Seohyun can’t know about this. Actually, no one can.

- Why?

- Because I promised…

- What promise?

- I promised Seohyun… That I wouldn’t try anything with her friend.

- Wait… - Sooyoung was trying not to laugh. – The only woman that apparently did more than just turn you on is exactly the one you can’t have?

- Yeah… - Yuri mumbled.

The next second Sooyoung had burst in laughter, the others following soon after.

- Great!  - Yuri sulked.

- See? If you weren’t like this Seohyun wouldn’t make you promise something like that. And right now you’d be free to be with her. – Fany said.

- Thank you, I’m feeling a whole lot better now.

They laughed again.

- Look, it doesn’t matter. I’ll forget her soon and this will be just a funny moment to remember.

- What’s her name?

- Hyoyeon.

- Is she pretty? – Soo questioned her.

- She is… Beautiful. – Yuri whispered, sighing after saying the last word.

- It doesn’t matter? Your eyes looked like stars, Yul. – Sunny mocked her.

- Is this love? – Fany asked.

- What love? Are you crazy? It’s nothing, really. She’s pretty, it’s normal to be like… . But that’s all, ok?

- Ok. – her three friends agreed, controlling themselves not to laugh.

 

***

 

Yuri tried really hard not to go back to Seohyun’s house, but two days later she was there. She needed to see her sister and Yoona, and get some projects of the Company Seohyun worked. Their companies were partners and as Seohyun’s house was closer to Yuri’s than her company it was easier to go there. Seohyun was the one in charge of these projects anyway.

She took a deep breath when she got there. It was Wednesday morning; she got into the house and walked a bit before seeing Hyoyeon sitting on the couch, typing on her cell phone.

- Good morning.

The blonde raised her head and smiled automatically when she saw who it was.

- Good morning, Yuri.

- I… I’m sorry for showing up without warning. Is Seohyun up already? – the brunette asked, reprimanding herself for the stupid question. Of course Seohyun was already up!

- Yes. We just had breakfast. She and Yoona are upstairs getting ready to work, they must be here soon.

- Ok…

Yuri walked slowly to the couch and sat there keeping a little distance from her.

- So, are you working? – she asked after a while.

- Yes. Since the law firm where I worked in England is big I was able to transfer to one of its branches that started here in Seoul two years ago. I’ll start next week.

- That’s great.

- Yep. – she smiled.

Yuri smiled slightly. She wasn’t doing so bad, she was able to even stay close to her without being so nervous. Maybe all those crazy feelings were just because she was seeing her for the first time. In the end she wasn’t feeling anything stronger than she would feel for an attractive woman. She would be able to control herself.

- So, did you like England?

- Yep, it’s a great country. It was a pleasant stay.

- I must admit I don’t remember you even though I’ve met most of Seohyun’s friends.

- Maybe you saw me, you just don’t remember. My hair was brown before, I dyed it blonde just a year ago.

- I see.

Hyoyeon smiled, tilting her head.

Yuri felt her face hot, her eyes automatically focusing on her tempting lips opened in a smile.

“Oh, how amazing it must be to kiss her…” she thought.

She shamelessly kept staring at her and thanked God when she heard footsteps getting closer. Just then she managed to stop what she was doing and watch Yoona and Seohyun walking down the stairs hand in hand.

- Morning, Yul.

- Morning, Seo. Yoona… Stop holding my sister’s hand.

- Believe me, Yul… This is the smallest of your problems. – Yoona grinned.

- Yoona! – Seohyun pushed Yoona’s shoulder slightly using her free hand.

- She started it! – The oldest one complained pointing to the brunette.

- I’ll get you outside. – Yuri warned her, tilting her head in a threatening way.

- Wow, stop you two. – Seohyun sighed getting away from Yoona and sitting on an armchair.

Yoona and Yuri watched her for a while.

- Yes! I made her stop holding your hand! – Yuri mocked her.

- So annoying! – Yoona mumbled.

Hyoyeon just laughed.

- You came here for the week projects, Yul? – Seohyun asked, leaning her head on Yoona who had just sat on the arm of the armchair.

- Yep. Should have come yesterday but I was busy.

- No problems, I’ll get them. – She said, getting up and heading upstairs.

Yoona slid into the seat and looked at the other two in front of her who seemed to be avoiding each other. Did she miss something?

Moments later Seohyun was back in the living room with a black folder and a small HD. She placed everything on the table and took two documents out of the folder. She picked a pen and offered it to Yuri.

- Sign here and here. – She said pointing to where she should sign.

- You don’t trust me? – Yuri joked taking the papers and pen.

- Well… - she mumbled a little hesitant.

Yoona started to laugh making Yuri glare at her.

- I’m kidding, Yul. I trust you. – Seohyun said, smiling.

- Thank you. I don’t trust that Yoona, ok? Just saying.

- Hey! – the girl complained.

- Well, we need to go. We’re late. – Seohyun said after getting the papers back. – You’ll stay here, Yul?

- I’ll just make sure everything’s here and then I’ll go.

- Ok. See ya, Hyo.

- See ya.

- Let’s go, Yoong. – she said, offering the older one her hand.

- Cya later, guys. – Yoona said to the other two accepting Seohyun’s hand.

She got up, embracing the youngest one by her waist.

- Watch that hand! – Yuri warned her watching the couple leave.

Yoona just looked at her sticking her tongue out and then completely ignoring her.

Hyoyeon laughed.

- Don’t you like Yoona? – She asked when they were alone.

- I hate her. – Yuri joked and smiled. – She’s one of my best friends.

- Then why so much teasing?

- I’m the one who presented Seohyun to Yoona back in High School. Let’s say that it’s kind of a punishment for being with my little sister.  

They both laughed.

- Ok, being honest… - Yuri continued when she stopped laughing. – I because we love each other, she knows that. She also knows that to me there’s no one better than her to be with Seohyun. I’m happy I could help them being together.

Hyoyeon kept looking at her in silence, watching the smile on her face while talking about the couple. Yuri finished checking the papers and put them back inside the folder without noticing that the blonde didn’t take her eyes of her the whole time.

- Ok, I gotta go now.

- Ok.

They both stood up at the same time and looked at each other, noticing they were close enough to smell each other’s perfume. Yuri gulped. She thought she’d be perfectly able to control herself but their closeness didn’t help. She wouldn’t be able to stop herself if they kept silent for too long.

- That’s not going to work. – The blonde was the first one to break eye contact. Yuri was relieved.

- What?

- Yuri, maybe I don’t know you well but what I know is enough. Forgive me if I’m wrong but... I know what kind of person you are and I don’t want to be involved in this.

Yuri didn’t deny it. She didn’t even try to defend herself. She knew what she was talking about.

- I hope you respect that. – She said, and giving her a quick goodbye she went upstairs.

Yuri sighed.

- I don’t want to respect that… But I have to. – She mumbled. – I made a promise.

Three weeks went by. Yuri made all the efforts to not be alone with Hyoyeon and try to convince herself that it was just a simple attraction, nothing more. It’d go away soon.

- You like her, admit it.

- I don’t.

- You do.

- I don’t.

- Keep doing that and you’ll decide the future of Humanity. – Fanny mumbled, completely bored by watching Yuri and Sunny argue in the brunette’s office.

- This stubborn head won’t admit she likes Hyoyeon but she keeps sighing for her everywhere she goes complaining about making that promise!

- I don’t complain… I just... I just wish I hadn’t made it.   

- That’s the same thing… - Sunny retorted.

- Ok. You already handed me your papers, right? Now go back to work. – Yuri said impatiently.

- Let’s go, honey. – Fanny called the shortest one.

- Yes. Just go danshin lovebirds.

They both looked at her.

- What? It’s not offensive, you are danshins. – the brunette smiled.

- Yul is so funny! – Sunny said ironically.

She just smiled.

- Let’s go, babe. It’s almost time to go home.

- Why all the rush?

- Today is Thursday... – the taller one said showing a huge smile.

- You won’t… You won’t make me watch that movie again, will you? – Sunny asked, afraid.

- Why not? – She smiled even more making Sunny frown.

- Oh, that’s low blow. Don’t show me your eye-smile like that. – She whined.

Fany laughed, hugging her from behind and heading towards the hallway.

- It’s just a two-hour movie.

- Two hours of pink in movie format. – Sunny retorted.

- Legally blonde is not just pink.

- Most of it yes it is.

- Please, honey… Let’s watch it… For me! – She asked, kissing her neck delicately.

- That’s unfair, you always do that. – The smaller one complained, getting chills by feeling her girlfriend’s lips on her skin.

- Hey, control yourselves in my office! – Yuri complained.

- Go get yourself a girlfriend, Yuri. – Fany said, releasing Sunny and holding her hand.

- I’m your superior. Respect me.

- I’m sorry. Go ask Hyoyeon out on a date, Yuri. – Fany rephrased.

- You still here?

They sighed before leaving the room.

At the end of the day Yuri decided to go to Seohyun’s house. Weird thing is that no matter how much she tried to keep distance or ignore how uncomfortable she felt near Hyoyeon, she still felt the need to see her, even if just for a couple of minutes. Then she’d make an excuse and leave. She was happy only to be able to see her.

She got there a few minutes later and didn’t announce her arrival as usual. When she got to the living room she was taken aback. She had no reaction for a few moments.

Hyoyeon was sitting on the couch with another woman, brown hair and apparently shorter than her. They were both hand in hand talking and laughing together.

Yuri felt pain in her hands until she realized she got her nails hurting her palms. She relaxed her hands and took a deep breath. The unknown woman was the first one to notice her presence. She looked at her and then called Hyoyeon’s attention.

- Yuri. – the blonde said.

- Hi… I… I hope I’m not interrupting anything… - she said trying to keep her voice stable.

- Not at all. – she smiled. – Seo and Yoona are making dinner, they must be close to finish it by now. Have a seat.

- No, thanks. I just came to see Seohyun, I’ll be quick.

- Hyo… - the short girl sent Hyoyeon a questioning look.

- Oh, sure… I’m sorry. Tae, this is Yuri, Seohyun’s older sister.

They stood up and Taeyeon smiled slightly making a quick bow. Yuri bowed back forcing a smile.

- Yuri, this is Taeyeon, my…

- Dinner’s ready! – Yoona interrupted calling everyone’s attention to her. – Let’s eat. Hi Yul.

- Hi Yoong.

“My…?” Yuri couldn’t stop thinking about the end of that sentence.

- Let’s go, guys. – Yoona repeated anxiously.

- Yoona, don’t rush them. – Seohyun said joining them.

- But Seo…

- Good evening, Yul. – She walked to her sister and hugged her.

- Hi Seo.

- Will you stay for dinner?

- Hum… Yeah, alright.

- Great! I’ll set the table for one more.

- Let’s eat, people! – Yoona said again.

- You haven’t changed at all, Yoona. – Taeyeon laughed.

Yoona pulled Taeyeon by her hand towards the dining room. Seohyun followed them, laughing. Yuri stood there for a few moments watching Hyoyeon getting her cell phone she had left on the coffee table.

- So that’s why… - She said, disappointed.

Hyoyeon looked at her a bit confused.

- What?

- You didn’t even let me get near you that day… - she looked at her. – Is it because of her?

- Her?

- I’m sorry… I didn’t know you had someone already.

- What… - The blonde was more confused by the second.

Yuri sighed. She was tired.

- Doesn’t matter anymore. – she said and walked away.

Hyoyeon stood there watching her.

- What the hell was she talking about? – she asked herself.

After dinner they went to the living room. Yoona and Seohyun sat on the small couch and Yuri on an armchair watching Hyoyeon and Taeyeon sit on the big couch, holding hands.

She tried to ignore it, but it was bothering her as hell. She was feeling the urge to sit between them to stop those damn smiles they had for each other. She wanted to separate them, that was so wrong, Hyoyeon was hers. Yuri was in shock with her own thoughts. Was she… jealous?

She broke out from her daydream when the intercom ringed. Yoona walked to the door to welcome the new visitor. In a few seconds a woman appeared, she had long brown hair and smiled to Yoona, hugging her. Yuri frowned when she saw Hyoyeon automatically making space between her and Taeyeon when she saw the girl at the door, still keeping her smile. Taeyeon also seemed happier than usual, clearly making an effort to wait on the couch while the woman hugged Seohyun.

After bowing to everyone, the long brown haired woman sat between Hyoyeon and Taeyeon, smiled to Hyoyeon and turned to the smaller one, her smile brighter by the minute.

Yuri thought she was definitely going crazy. Was she imagining things? It was not possible. Taeyeon intertwined her hand with the new visitor and without hesitation she kissed her. Yuri watched the scene with agape… Hyoyeon didn’t seem she could care less.

- You’re late. – the small girl said breaking the kiss.

- I was with my parents and Krystal, I lost track of time.

- Jessica… - Seohyun said. – This is Yuri, my sister. Yuri, this is Jessica, Taeyeon’s girlfriend.

Jessica bowed to her, smiling kindly. Yuri did the same, still confused. Girlfriend?

- How was the flight? – Yoona asked.

- It was nice, nothing different. -  Taeyeon said.

- Well, letting aside it was totally unexpected… - Jessica mumbled.

- We’re here already, Sica. Still complaining?

- If we had come the right date we would be able to go straight to our apartment. Now we’ll have to stay a month with my parents.

- What? They won’t accept me there.

- Of course they will. A lot of things changed these past two years we were abroad, honey. When you visit my parents you’ll understand.

- So… Did they manage to… Accept me?

- Yes, and they agreed to have us there too.

- That’s something I need to see to believe.

- You’ll see soon.

- It can’t be true. – she was still chuckling slightly, shaking her head.

Yuri didn’t know if she should feel relieved or what. It was still very confusing. If Taeyeon and Jessica were girlfriends, then what Hyoyeon was going to say after “My…”?

- Hyo, how do you feel having a boring older sister like Taeyeon? – Jessica asked turning to the blonde sitting next to her.

They all laughed.

- Sister? – Yuri mumbled, barely audible.

- It’s tiring sometimes, but what can I do? I still love her. – Hyoyeon smiled.

- I feel so unwelcomed here… You’re ganging up against me, is that correct? – Taeyeon asked in shock.

- I’m sorry, Tae. I can’t take your side since I’m an older sister’s victim. So I’ll be with Hyoyeon this time. – Yoona laughed.

- Even you, Yoong? – Taeyeon faked outrageousness.

- Yul? – the brunette turned her head to her sister.

- What?

- I just teased you and you didn’t react. – Yoona raised an eyebrow.

- Oh, sorry… I was distracted… Work stuff.

- Ok, this is even more awkward. – Yoona pointed out laughing.

- Shush! Be quiet and take that arm out of my sister’s shoulders.

- Wow, now Yuri’s back! – Yoona said making everyone laugh.

Yuri laughed too. The weight on her shoulders had just disappeared. She smiled brighter, completely relieved.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello guys! I'm really, really sorry for so late update. It was my fault >.< My name is Nicole (Asystole) and I am Evelyn's translator. ^^ We are both Brazilians and she can understand English but she doesn't feel confident enough to translate her stories, so I'm doing it for her as I really wanted this story to be here on AFF. =) So, as a co-author I'm just the translator. Any English mistakes you find, please feel free to correct me. ^^ Thank you very much for all your comments, Evelyn will be the one answering them. ^^

Cya~