Chapter 1 – It’s a promise!

All I need is you

 

Yuri arrived at Seohyun’s house by evening. She parked her car after passing through the gate and minutes later she got inside the house without being announced.

"Seohyun!"

She didn’t need to call her twice; a girl with long dark brown hair could already be seen by the kitchen’s door.

"Yul unnie!" She smiled and hugged her. "You were gone for two days!"

"I was busy." Yuri explained hugging her back.

Seohyun held her hand and led Yuri to the couch, sitting next to her.

"Is everything ok?" The younger one questioned.

"Yes."

Seohyun looked at her silently. There were dark circles under the brunette's eyes.

"What time were you home last night?"

"I don’t know, two… Maybe three a.m."

"Yuri…"

"It was Friday night, Seohyun!"

"Why you keep living this way?"

"I don’t know what you’re talking about." She mumbled, looking away.

Seohyun sighed.

"Yul, you’re my sister…" She said, her face. "You don’t know how much it hurts to see you like this."

"What do you mean?"

"You’re destroying yourself…"

"I’m fine! There’s nothing wrong…" Yuri got up, a little upset.

"You were not like this before that woman and now you’re like… You’re another person. Going to parties, having a different girl every three weeks or so, drinking too much… Are you so blind that you can’t see what you’ve become?" Seohyun said with a sad look.

"I told you I’m fine. I don’t even remember that woman, I’m just enjoying my life."

Seohyun massaged her temples. Her head was hurting by her sister’s resistance in admitting she needed help.

"Ok… Some day you’ll understand."

"Right." She was impatient already. "Why did you call me here?"

"I want to tell you something and I have a request. Better saying, it’s an order." Seohyun had a serious look.

Yuri smiled, that should be fun. She waited her sister to continue.

"A friend of mine from college, Hyoyeon unnie, is coming back to Korea after being a year in England for specialization.

"Really? What specialization?" The oldest one looked interested.

"Law." She answered short and sweet. "She’s coming back but her apartment is not ready yet so she’ll be with me and Yoona for a couple of weeks."

"Interesting."

"That’s my request. Promise me… You won’t try anything with her, Yul."

"What?" Yuri laughed. "You think I’m that desperate? I’m not going to jump on her, ok?"

"Promise me."

Yuri looked at her deeply, she was not sure.

"Is she pretty?"

Seohyun face palmed.

"I’m just curious." She said innocently.

"Yes, she is… I guess so…" Seohyun answered unwillingly.

"Blonde… Brunette?"

"YURI!" Her younger sister reprimanded her.

"Alright, geez! I’m not going to try anything with your friend. Happy now?"

Seohyun smiled satisfied.

"Thank you."

"Where’s Yoong?"

"Not home yet."

The two girls soon heard a car parking in front of the house and minutes later the front door was open.

"As I was saying… You know how much I hate that Yoona, right?" Yuri said, trying to suppress her smile.

The girl who had just arrived faked a laughter and punched playfully Yuri’s shoulder as she walked past her.

"I know you love me."

"Actually I love Seohyun. But then you showed up, she’s with you and now I have to stand you." Yuri joked.

The three of them laughed while Yoona walked to Seohyun and hugged her by the waist.

"Hey…" Yoona said in a whisper.

Seohyun smiled back, wrapping her arms around Yoona’s shoulders. Yoona leaned toward her, kissing her tenderly.

Yuri scratched her neck, bothered by the scene in front of her. She sighed and rolled her eyes when she thought the two of them were taking too long to break the contact.

"Hello! Still here."

The two broke away, laughing at Yuri who was now sulking.

"Sorry, Yul."

"Well, if we’re finished here then I think I’m going home now."

"Ok. Thanks for coming and please, keep your promise!"

"When did I fail you, Seo?" She smiled caringly at her sister.

"I trust you." The youngest one smiled back.

Yuri waved them goodbye, leaving the house and getting into her car. She didn’t care that much about the promise. It was just Seohyun’s friend and probably not interesting. She sighed. There was nothing to do at home, she’d be alone… Again.

Yuri used to be a loving person. She was the kind of girl who would value stable relationships and reject those people who were just looking for fun. But a year ago everything changed. All that honorable reputation she built over the years was completely destroyed by what she had become. She was now a reckless girl who would spend the nights in parties getting drunk and having a different girl each month. She wasn’t worried about doing the right things anymore… because of her.

Yuri sat in her bed, staring at the floor in silence.

"See? I can live without you… And I’m better this way." She mumbled.

The anger was noticeable in her voice.

 

[…]

 

A week had passed since her last visit to her sister’s house. She was busy at the firm she worked in. Being the manager in a Company of Technology wasn’t easy. She had even stopped going out every night so she wouldn’t be sleepy the other day.

She decided to visit her sister on a Saturday night. She didn’t even remember the visitor she’d probably find in her house anymore.

She parked in front of the house and noticed an extra car, dark grey, next to the other two. Just then she remembered Seohyun’s friend, but still she shrugged and entered the house.

"Seo."

The younger one smiled at her, leaving the couch where she was reading a book.

"Yul!"

"Sorry I didn’t come earlier. This week was terrible!"

"It’s ok. Yoona is getting dressed and…" She stopped talking before completing the sentence, a little uneasy.

"And?"

"And… Hyoyeon unnie should be here in a minute..." She mumbled.

"Oh, just relax… I promised you, didn’t I?"

"Yeah…"

Light steps were heard coming down the stairs. Yuri looked in its direction getting ready to tease Yoona as soon as she got a glimpse of her, but it was not Yoona. It was someone Yuri thought it was even impossible to exist.

It was a blonde woman, not too short, shoulder length hair. She was wearing jeans shorts, a white long sleeve shirt and smiled openly, making Yuri’s jaw drop slightly. Who was she?

Yuri took a few seconds to think straight again. She tried to remember something important before that woman reached the end of the stairs. What was it? Then it hit her… Her damn promise. She couldn’t try anything with Hyoyeon. Anything!

Yuri quickly prayed for a miracle… She wished that woman was not Hyoyeon.

"Yuri unnie, this is Kim Hyoyeon." Seohyun presented her when her friend reached her side.

Hyoyeon looked at her surprised when she heard that name, but then she smiled again and offered a hand shake.

"Nice to meet you. Seohyun told me a lot about you."

Yuri took a second to realize she was probably looking like an idiot. She shook her head and accepted her hand shake quickly letting it go. She needed some air, she needed to breathe, she needed to kiss her.

"No!" She reprimanded herself in a whisper.

"Something wrong?" The blonde asked.

"No… I was just… I just remembered I had to do something." Yuri forced a smile, changing the subject. "So… When did you get here?"

"Four days ago…"

"And she’s going to be with us for a while."

"Yes, until my apartment is ready."

"Cool… Yoona and Seohyun are… Great company." Yuri said, trying unsuccessfully to look natural.

"Yes, they are." She agreed smiling.

It was a proven fact that Yuri wouldn’t hold herself much longer if that girl continued to smile like that. Things were getting dangerous, too dangerous.

"Seo… I need to go."

"Already?"

"Yeah… I have to… Do that thing I remembered… That’s it. So… I can’t stay longer.

Yuri said goodbye to them and quickly left the house, rushing into her car and driving abnormally fast to just anywhere. Two blocks away she finally parked her car in a random street and released her breath, pressing the wheel with trembling hands.

"What the…" She was astonished.

She pressed slowly her forehead against the wheel, gritting her teeth. What an irony! It had been long since Yuri had felt that way for a woman. It was probably the first time she felt that way without even touching her. And that was exactly the woman she couldn’t have.

"Damn it!" She grabbed the wheel strongly.

Yuri massaged her forehead, her face was hot. She looked like a teenager facing her first love. So stupid! Why was she being so weak? Wasn’t she the one to provoke such feelings in the first place? Why was she the one acting so immature now?

"Great! It seems like the next weeks are going to be longer than I had imagined." She murmured. "I need a cold shower."

 

 […]

 

Hyoyeon sat back in the armchair, staring thoughtfully at the coffee table in front of her. They had just finished their dinner and soon Yoona and Seohyun came from the kitchen and sat on the couch.

"What about Taeyeon?" Yoona asked.

"She’ll be here probably in three weeks. She and Jessica have some things to do before they come.

"You told me they’ve been fighting a lot lately…" Seohyun remembered.

"That’s because of Tae’s decision to move here later this year. They had agreed to do this only next year. – Hyoyeon explained.

"And why did she want to come earlier?" Yoona asked.

"Because of me. You know Taeyeon, she thinks I’m still 15 and acts as an overprotective older sister. I told her a million times to not worry about me and come only next year, but she insisted."

"Once a kid leader, forever a kid leader I guess." Yoona laughed.

Hyoyeon smiled, resuming to daydreaming. The long black haired woman with tanned skin was still on her mind. She was indeed beautiful, but listening to her name discouraged her. Only four days in Seul and she seemed to know already pretty well what kind of girl she was. It was impossible not to hear people talking about Kwon Yuri, Seohyun’s older sister. A reckless girl who spent the nights in parties and had so many different lovers that you’d lose track of the number by the end of the month.

When she first saw her she wished that girl wasn’t her friend’s famous sister, but then Seohyun presented her and there she was… The kind of girl Hyoyeon despised now beautifully represented by Kwon Yuri. What an irony! But Hyoyeon knew that no matter how she felt, she would never trust someone like her. Yuri was not a possibility in her love life.