Lost in the News

Love Lost?

I woke up after having the strangest dream to my cell phone ringing. The dream was as if the history of me and Jin Sang was being retold by those two weird voices that I heard last night. I checked my caller ID to see who was calling me. It was Taemin.

"Hey Tae. You won't believe the dream I had last night," I answered the phone.

"Hyung..." Taemin sounded nervous and serious over the phone. I sat up straighter.

"Taemin? Is something wrong?" I asked, concerned. 

"Um, sorta... I don't know how you're going to take this over the phone, but--"

"Hold on, Tae." This didn't sound good. I take bad news better in person, and with someone there. "I'm on my way there."

"Ohh... this is gonna be good." What are the voices talking about now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I got to Taemin's house, Jin Sang wasn't home, thank goodness. However, happiness was short lived because Taemin told me the news.

"Jin Sang's getting married?" I said. We sat on the couch because I couldn't bear to stand. "When did this happen?"

"She told us last night after you left. She's been engaged for six months now," Taemin said, experasted. Must have been hard for him to tell me. I understand that. 

"What's the lucky guy's name?" I said, semi-sarcastically.

"Lee Jinki." What kind of name is that?

"Okay," I said. I got off the couch and starting pacing. How the heck could this happen? Six months they have been engaged? She's only been in college for six months! How long had she been dating this guy anyway? Who was he really? I kinda had the feeling to punch something.

"Here," Taemin said, passing me a pillow. "Let it out." 

I punch the pillow so hard the cotton flew out. Puffs of stuff were everywhere.

"I'm sorry about the pillow," I said, picking up the remains of the now deceased pillow.

"It's okay. I have a spare," he said, pulling out an extra pillow.

"You were prepared?"

"Of course. I know how you are, hyung." Taemin smiled. I smile at his thoughtfulness. However, it didn't stay long because...

"Taemin! We're home!" It was Jin Sang... and she wasn't alone. 

"I brought home some fried chicken!!!" exclaimed an over-excited male voice. I actually saw Taemin cringe.

"Tae, where are you? We have lunch," Jin Sang came out of the kitchen into the room where Taemin and I were. Her beautiful sunny smile vanished. 

"You didn't say you were having company, Tae," her voice was fake sweet. 

"What is this chick's problem?" You're guess is as good as mine, Voice. I was getting used to the voices. They kept things interesting. Jin Sang's eyes were trained on me. I couldn't read the feeling in their icy gaze. 

"I didn't know you were my mom now, Jin Sang," Taemin said, annoyed. Jin Sang opened to retort,but was interrupted by...

"What's that Jinny?" called the guy from the kitchen. He came out into the room, a big bright smile on his face. He had longish chestnut brown hair and a kinda akward walk. This must be Jinki.

"Oh, honey. This is Taemin's friend, Minho. Minho, this is my fiancee, Lee Jinki," she causally introduced us.

"Please, call me Onew. Nice to meet you." He friendly extended his hand. I didn't know if I should accept it.

"Come on, Minho. Be a gentleman."

 "Nice to meet you Onew. Choi Minho," I said, taking his hand. He smiled even brighter. Honestly, I couldn't hate the guy. Not with a smile like that. However, I'm not a fan of him, just yet. Jin Sang was obviously pleased with my reaction. 

"When's the wedding?" I asked. 

"Two weeks from now," said Onew. Jin Sang smiled at him. I had forgotten how beautiful her smile was. The way she smiled at him... was the way she used to smile at me. I thought I would be able to stand this all, but I can't. I glanced at my watch for an escape.

"Oh wow. Look at the time. I should really be going now," I said, looking at Taemin. His face was sympathic. 

"No way. Please stay for lunch," Onew said with a pleading voice. 

"Sorry Onew. Hyung really has somewhere to be. So do I," said Taemin. I gave him a thankful look. 

"But you can't just leave without eating," said Jin Sang in a motherly tone. "Besides, Onew brought more than enough chicken for two people. Please stay." Jin Sang used the puppy eyes. No one can overcome the puppy eyes. Especially not me. 

"Hyung, it is free food. We could stay," Taemin said, falling victim. I was next. 

"Okay," I agreed. 

Onew had brought like three big buckets of chicken. One bucket he could polish off entirely by himself. He was like a monster or something with it. This is the guy Jin Sang chose to marry? Six months they have been engaged. How long were they dating? How did they even meet?

"So..." I said. "How did you two meet?" Jin Sang automatically put her guard up; however Onew didn't think he had anything to worry about.

"A blind date," he answered, wiping his mouth.

"A blind date?" Taemin asked.

"Yeah, a friend of a friend set us up together. My best friend, Jonghyun, comes up to me one day. Well, actually it was the day after my girlfriend had broken up with me. I was heart broken. Jong saids he has the perfect girl for me. His boyfriend saids that one of his friends just became single and needs a guy who can make her laugh. Of course, I'm all reluctant. How can I make someone laugh when I felt like all my feelings have been ripped out with  my heart. However, I agree to the date anyway. Jong said I should see more beautiful things in life. And boy was she beautiful," Onew said, looking at Jin Sang with love. He held her hand and she smiled... tightly. This must be really uncomfortable for her. Onew continued. 

"So here I am, at this amazingly fancy resturant with this beautiful woman, but I'm too busy thinking of my ex-girlfriend. I'm trying to smile while fighting tears. Then Jin Sang says to me these words I will never forget: 'Onew, its okay to cry'. She goes on to tell me how even though a smile is beautiful, tears speak more volumes. They show us we have hearts. She saids to me "show me your heart Onew." Right there in the resturant, I start sobbing right into my chicken. Something told me she was the One. A woman who is okay with her man crying should be treasured among all others. I had to haver her. Now, in two weeks I will."

Onew's smile was so bright it could have blinded me. He kissed Jin Sang on the lips, the same lips I kissed. I stand up so abrutly that the plates rattle on the table. Jin Sang and Onew stop what they are doing and look at me. I look from Taemin to them.

"Minho...?" Jin Sang saids. I can't deal with this right now. 

"Excuse me." I head for the kitchen. I wristfully dragged my fingers through my hair. I felt like going out there and punching Onew. How dare he kiss Jin Sang in front of me. 

"Whoa Tiger. Calm down. We can't have you doing that here." Why the hell not?

"1. Onew isn't the one you should punch. 2. It would mess up the nice carpet." Who the should I punch then?

"That'll have to wait till later." Fine. I can't believe this is happening. 

"Hyung," Taemin enters the kitchen. "You need to go somewhere, uh?"

"Yes, I can't stay here..." I confess. "Those are the same exact words she told me. I can't just stand here and see her with another man. I can't."

"I understand. I'll come too," Taemin saids. This is why this kid is my best friend. 

"Okay." I go back the table. "Thank you for lunch." I say to Jin Sang and Onew and I head for the door. 

"So you're just gonna run out like that?" 

"Yes, It doesn't feel right if I stay."

"It's probably better  that you don't stay here. Who knows what other craziness might happen if you did."

"You don't have to wory about that because Im getting out of here," I answered the voices out loud. 

"Minho, who are you talking to?" asked Taemin, looking at me like I was a weirdo. 

"Tae, what if I told you I heard voices in my head?"

Taemin paused, thought about it, then shrugged.

"I would call you crazy, then realize stranger things have happened, " he answered. 

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

"My sister's getting married to a cheeky chicken lover." 

I laughed. "Thanks Taemin. Let's go."