Stuck with a lesson.

My Step Sister (Not)

7:30pm.

 

The movie finally ended.

Tiffany got up and stretched for a second.

 

Taeyeon was still sleeping peacefully on the couch.

 

Tiffany yawned and stared at Taeyeon.

"Aigoo~" She quickly jumped on the sofa.

 

"Hmmm~" Groaned Taeyeon, still didn't wanna wake up.

 

"Why do you always fall asleep when we watch movies~?" Tiffany whined and started playing with Taeyeon's hair.

 

Taeyeon didn't feel like responding, so she kept sleeping.

 

Tiffany pouted.

"Hmp! I'll go get us some ice cream, I'll be back." She started walking upstairs still pouting.

_____________________________

 

It had been an hour and a half since the blackout at the mall.

 

Yuri was still sitting on the corner quietly.

While Jessica played on her phone for the whole hour, and was still playing.

 

Suddenly, Yuri started humming Fur Elise.

 

Jessica pointed her phone at Yuri nervously.

"Y-ah, What's wrong with you?" 

 

Yuri stared at the floor blankly, continuing the Fur Elise.

 

Jessica moved back a little.

"Yah stop it! You're scaring me." She placed down the phone and hugged her legs.

 

Yuri looked up slowly and stared straight at Jessica's eyes.

"Je-ss-ica, he-lp." Yuri reached for her hand.

 

Jessica's feet trembled.

"Don't come near me! Please stop! I'm serious!" Jessica closed her eyes.

 

"J-ess-i-ca~~" Yuri started crawling to her.

 

"STOP!!!" Jessica yelled nervously.

 

Yuri continued.

She slightly caressed Jessica's arm.

 

Jessica couldn't hold it anymore.

She quickly got up and started screaming.

"HELPPPP!!! PLEASE!! HELPPP!!!" She cried out jumping.

 

Yuri rolled on the floor bursting into laughter.

 

Jessica took her phone from the floor and pointed it at Yuri.

"What the...hell?" She fell on her knees and touched her heart panting.

"You think it's funny!! What if I had a heart attack!? What if I had a nervous breakdown!!?? It's not funny!!" She yelled.

 

Yuri's laugh faded.

"Come on! It was Funny!! It's all your fault anyways. You're the reason why we're here!"

 

Jessica turned off her phone.

It was now dark again.

 

Yuri moved closer to her.

"Why'd you turn it off!? I can't see!"

 

"That's not my problem." Jessica was still shaking.

 

Yuri moved more closer to her.

Their arms were now touching.

 

Jessica felt awkward and moved a little farther.

 

Yuri was still chuckling from what happened.

_____________________

 

 

After Taeyeon and Tiffany finished their ice cream, they went upstairs for dinner.

 

Mr. Hwang and Mrs. Kim finally got back from their date.

"Where's your sister?" Asked Mr. Hwang.

 

Tiffany swallowed the rice.

"Out shopping."

 

"It's almost 8:30. She's supposed to be home. Call her and let me know where she is." 

 

Tiffany nodded and continued eating.

____________________

 

Inside the elevator.

 

Yuri could hear Jessica's gulp.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were that scared."

 

"You must be happy you know what I'm scared the most."

 

Yuri smiled.

"Yes I am."

 

Jessica glared at her even though she knew that Yuri couldn't see her.

"Why do you hate me so much anyway? There's nothing wrong with me."

 

Yuri scoffed.

"Yeah right. Everything's wrong with you. You're mean to people who you don't even know. You're always mad at something. You don't even smile, you're like a crazy witch that always have a serious face. And you bully people for no reason. You think everyone's ugly... You're just.. weird and complicated."

 

Jessica's mouth opened slowly as she listened.

"Ok, first of all.. I have my opinions about people being ugly and stuff.. cuz most people are ugly. That's the truth. Second of all, I don't smile cuz there's nothing to smile about. No one can make me smile except if I really like them.. And Finally, I have my reasons why I'm complicated."

 

Yuri was taken aback.

"And what's your reasons?" She asked.

 

"It's none of your business."

 

"There you go!" Yuri gave up.

...

'''

;;;

Jessica paused for a moment.

"I don't trust you. But I'd rather talk than be awkward right now, so if I tell you.. will you not tell anyone?"

 

Yuri turned her front to Jessica.

She crossed her legs and nodded.

 

Jessica couldn't see a thing.

"Seems like you don't wanna talk." She muttered.

 

Yuri smiled.

"I nodded. You just didn't see me. Ok, start talking."

--

--

--

--

*Jessica's past story*

 

"When I was about five, my family was complete. There was me, Tiffany, my older brother Andrew, my dad and, my mom. At that time, we were a normal family living at a normal house, going to a normal school, eating normal food, -" She suddenly got interrupted.

 

"Why? Is the food you're eating now not normal?" Yuri frowned holding her laughter.

 

Jessica sighed.

"Will you not interrupt and let me finish!?"

 

Yuri leaned her head on the wall and listened again.

 

Jessica continued.

"Ok, We were a happy family right? But then one day, One day.. there was only me, my brother and my mom that was left in the house cuz my dad and sister went out to buy some candles and food cuz it was blackout. We were only using candles.. Since that it was too dark, I couldn't see anything. My mom was fixing a flashlight and my brother was helping her with the battery. She told me to go to the kitchen and get her a bottle of water. They were upstairs.  I walked to the kitchen holding this little candle on my hand. I got the bottle of water on my other hand and walked back upstairs to give the water to my mom. When I was about to step on the stairs, I... I.. Slipped and.. dropped the candle on the carpet stairs. I yelled at first then I cried and cried. My mom and my brother hurried out of the room and checked what was happening. They saw me on the floor crying, In front of me was a big flames of fire spreading all over the stairs. They both panicked, didn't know what to do. My brother started shouting really loud. My mom started shaking. She grabbed my brother and told him to go to the room. After my brother ran to the room. She yelled at me something... " SICA! GET OUT OF HERE NOW! ...OPEN.. THE WINDOW AND JUMP! DON'T WORRY! WE'LL BE RIGHT OUT!! GOO!! HURRY!" She yelled as loud as she could. When I finally got out, I saw the neigborhoods getting out of their houses and gathered in front of my house. Some old guy lifted me and took me away from the burning house. "LET ME GO! LET ME GO!" I yelled to him. but then the firefighters came. The old man told me that it's safe to stay with him. I told him that my mom and brother were still inside. He then quickly reported to the police. Ten minutes later, Tiffany and my dad got back. Th-" She got interrupted again.

 

"I don't wanna hear this." Yuri turned around.

 

Jessica continued anyways.

"My brother wanted to have a school of his own, So that's why my dad planned to build a college which is 'Hwang's College University.' Cuz he promised my brother he'll run it for him. My dad and my sister hate me for everything I did. Even though they don't show it, I can tell from their faces how much they hate me. I hate myself. I h-ate myself for leaving my mom and my brother! I should've stayed inside and die with them! I don't deserve to be here right now. I sh-"

Yuri quickly turned to her again.
"Stop! You know what? You're so dumb for thinking that you should've died with them! Your dad and sister don't hate you. You were just five. It wasn't your fault.... Why the hell did you have to get the damn water!? Could you even carry it!? If you all were just downstairs... It shouldnt've happened." 

 

Jessica didn't know what to say.

 

Yuri her phone and saw Jessica facing the wall crying quietly.

 

"Hey." Yuri moved closer to her.

 

"I hate myself." She sobbed.

 

"Stop crying." Yuri patted her back.

 

Jessica slowly turned and wiped her tears.

"Don't tell anyone about this." 

 

Yuri moved back to her place and nodded slowly.

____________________

 

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany kept calling on Jessica's phone but no answer.

 

"This is like a 100th times already. Tiffany, I'm worried." Taeyeon gave up dialing Jessica's number.

 

"Should we tell dad?" Tiffany put her phone back in her pocket.

 

"They're probably sleeping right now. Do you have any Idea where she might be?"

 

Tiffany looked up and tried to remember something.

"She said about a salon... She asked me to go.. Oh! the salon we used to go! I know!" 

 

"Ok ok! Lets get moving.." Taeyeon rushed to the door.

 

Tiffany followed.

_________________

 

It was almost 10:00pm.Yuri and Jessica was still stuck inside the elevator.

 

They went back to being quiet again.

 

Suddenly, Jessica's stomach growled.

She quickly pressed it.

She wondered if Yuri heard.

 

Yuri pretended she didn't hear anything and just shook her head slowly.

"Gum?" She handed out the last piece of her gum.

 

Jessica took it shyly.

"How about you?"

 

Yuri shrugged.

"It's fine."

 

Jessica sighed and ripped the gum into two and gave the other half to Yuri.

"You're welcome."

 

"Sch!" Scoffed Yuri.

 

Jessica closed her eyes and enjoyed the gum for a moment.

"Can I ask you something?" She muttered.

 

"Sure."

 

"But don't get mad."

 

"Sure"

 

"Ok, so... why are you really.. dealing with drugs?" Jessica's voice faded when she got to the 'drugs' part.

 

Yuri stopped chewing.

"I can't tell."

 

"I told you my story!" Jessica argued.

 

"So?"

 

"I deserve to get my question answered!"

 

"If I tell you, you'll probably get disgusted by me." 

 

"I can't promise anything.. but I won't get disgusted.."

 

Yuri took a deep breath.

"I deal with drugs for living." She said.

 

Jessica waited for her to continue.

"That's it?"

 

"No, I go to this... private places.. to meet with drug dealers...  They give me the drugs and I have to give it to someone else like on the streets.. Public places.. If they ever get caught..It won't be them, It'll be me. They'll blame me for everything. They pay enough to feed me and my father who's always drunk every night. Who's always beating me for no reason. He's still my father no matter what though and I'll always respect him... So yeah.. That day when you caught me was supposed to be the last time I was gonna do it.. but they won't stop, They say they'll always find me no matter how hard I hide. I can't report then to the police cuz I'm involve.... Sometimes I don't have a choice, cuz my dad stays at home just getting drunk. If I don't do it, I don't know what'll happen... I just.." Yuri felt her chest aching. She couldn't continue.

 

Jessica looked away, felt sorry.

"I..." She muttered.

 

Yuri tried to smile.

"Don't.."

 

"You know what!? it. We've been trying to get my hair color done, but look what it got us! You're right It's all my fault. Our deal is canceled. I'll just.. wear the outfit or at least try... I won't change anymore. If Siwon  won't like me, then I won't give a sh*t too. So yeah... I'll leave you alone starting tomorrow.. I won't tell anyone about the stupid drugs thing.. and.. I'm sorry I didn't know you had this kind of problem." 

 

Yuri couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Ok, did you just curse!? And Did you just apologize!?" 

 

Jessica was about to say something, but then.. She heard something on the elevator door.

"Did you hear that?" She whispered.

 

Yuri moved closer to the door.

"HELP!!" She started screaming.

 

Jessica pulled her back down.

"Relax! I think It's the rescue.."

 

The machine vibrated the elevator door.

"More!" One guy yelled outside.

 

"Don't worry guys, you're almost out! We're sorry we didn't have any generator.. Please bare with the small lights. The power's still off." The younger guy yelled to Jessica and Yuri.

 

Yuri stayed on the floor and could see the mall already.

"I see the.... Taeyeon?" She squinted her eyes.

 

Jessica took a peek also.

"Tiffany?" She muttered.

 

The door finally opened.

 

Tiffany and Taeyeon rushed to the elevator door.

 

Taeyeon froze seeing them both.

"Woah! Yuri why are you with Jessica?"

 

"And why are you two sweating!?" Tiffany added.

 

Yuri and Jessica looked at each other and chuckled.