Sing Me One Last Song

Baby Don't Cry

 

I was dying and I wasn’t scared, but I was scared of one thing and that was not seeing Byun Baekhyun again, who was my boyfriend. I didn’t want to leave him but I knew one day this would happen so I was kind of prepared of it. I was suffering from a brain tumour, it was slowly killing me. I was lying in my death bed staring at the ceiling, today was my last today, the doctor had already told me. I didn’t even have the energy to open my eyes anymore. The door opened and stepped in Baekhyun. I put on a small smile and he can over to sit on the stool beside my bed.

“How are you doing” He said, caressing the back of my hand. ‘Okay’ I mouthed; I gave him my eye smile to add effect. He sighed and laid his forehead next to my hand. My eyebrows furrowed and I tapped his head, he slowly lifted his head tears streaming down his face. My eyes widened but before I would say anything, he bet me to it.

“I heard, I heard what the doctor said about you, how today is your last day” he murmured. I stared at the ceiling; I let out a sad laugh.

“Nothing is meant to last forever Baek” I felt his eyes piercing into my skull but I continued to stare at the ceiling.

“That’s true, but  ... but it wasn’t supposed to be so early, they told us that you had another year to live” he squeezed my hand,

“Then I guess they thought wrong, things sometimes don’t go the way it was suppose to be Baek”. Baekhyun opened his mouth to argue but closed it when he realised that it was no use. I titled my head towards him as he stared out the window. I continued to stare at him, knowing that this might be last time; my traced his features with my eyes, from his eyes to his jaw line and back up. Baekhyun turned around, catching me in action and smiled sadly while taking my hands in his again.

“Oppa, I wanna go out” I said as I pointed out the window,

“Out there”. “Are you sure? Will you have enough energy?” He asked as his eyebrows pinched together, I nodded as I tried to sit up and get out of bed. Baekhyun pushed me back down and grabbed a wheelchair before carrying me bridal style, placing me in the chair.

”The nurses better not blame me” Baekhyun sighed as he wheeled me out of the room. I giggled as I lifted my feet off the ground and lifted me arms from my side, pretending I was flying.

“Whoosh, IN COMING!” I continued to make noises like a little kid. I looked behind me and gave Baekhyun my brightest eye smile. He couldn’t help but smile back; he shook his head before sighing at my child like actions. All the patients were looking this way, some smiling and some glaring but that didn’t stop me. We were out the door in no time; I took a deep breath while tilting my face towards the sky, letting the sun hit my face. I put my hands on my hip and pointed towards the sakura tree,

“Palli oppa! That way to the tree!” Baekhyun laughed softly before wheeling me towards the tree. He lifted me bridal style again and sat me in between his legs, he hugged my body close to his as he buried his face in the crook of my neck. We sat there in silence before I felt my head hurting; I crouched over and coughed as my throat burned. Baekhyun quickly started patting my back,

“Gwenchana?! Aish we should go back to the room” Baekhyun said as he ruffled his hair. He stood up preparing to lift me up again but I grabbed his wrist.

“Ani, gwenchana! I want to be out here” I smiled, hoping he believed me. He sighed, sitting back down again. I smiled and leaned back against Baekhyun chest, he wrapped his arms around my waist while resting his head on my shoulder. My chest started to hurt and I started to feel weak, I looked up and saw the sun setting already. I let out a painful sigh, it was time. I felt Baekhyun hugging me closer, he knew it was time as well, I felt my shirt getting wet and turned around to find Baekhyun crying. My vision started to get blurry with tears but I it up and tilted my head up, not letting the tears fall.

“Oppa, can you please sing me a song?” My voice cracked a few times since I was on the verge of crying. Baekhyun looked at me for a few seconds before nodding.

“I-I’ll sing for you, but ... just don’t fall asleep arraso?” He asked, I nodded while resting on his chest.

“deoneun mangseoliji ma jebal
nae simjangeul geodoo-eoga
geurae nalkaro-ulsurog chohwa
dalbitjochado nooneul gameun bam

na anin dareun namja-yeotdamyeon
huegeuk an-eue han gujeol-ieotdeo-ramyeon
neoye geu saramgua baggun sangcheo modu taewuobeoryeo”

His voice was cracking as he kept on singing as his tears were dropping on my lap. I felt my eyes dropping but I tried to keep them opened, I wanted to hear the song, I wanted to hear his voice before I felt the world.

“Baby don’t cry, tonight
eodumi geodhigo namyeon
Baby don’t cry, tonight
eobseotdeon il-i dwell geoya

moolgeo-poom-i dueneun geoseun niga aniya,
ggeutnae molla ya hae deon

So baby don’t cry, cry
nae sarangi neol jikilteni”

(EXO-K Baby Don’t Cry)

Just as he finished I whispered my last few words,

“Saranghae, Byun Baekhyun”. He looked back down,

“Ka-Young – ah” He shook me but I wouldn’t respond. His eyes widened as he grabbed my shoulders shaking me more. My head rolled back and my arms fell limply at my sides. Baekhyun started to cry as he crushed my body towards his chest. He screamed in frustration as he held onto me tighter.

“Ka Young, please wake up