Crush

Could This Be . . . . ?

A/N: I decided to use CNU’s name as ‘Shinwoo’, sounds and looks cuter for me. :D

 

[Narrator’s POV]

On his way home, Shinwoo could not help but to replay your wide smile in his head. Sure, you could be really tomboyish whenever you all were together, but each time both of your eyes met, he could see the feminine side of you. He himself did not know what made him to see you as a girl despite a not-so-girly attitude that you put up in front of them, but he guessed maybe it had something to do with that night when he saved you from the drunken Joongki.

All in all, he did not failed to notice a twinkle in your eyes whenever you looked at him in the eyes. At times, he knew it was filled with mischief (when you were together with Baro, Sandeul and Gongchan), sometimes annoyance (when you had to deal with the cold Jinyoung) or even care and concern (when you were with Minha who happened to have some private issues lately). However, when you were alone with him, he could not interpret that twinkle in your eyes. Sometimes, he wondered which one was easier; that or handling four mischievous monkeys which he called as his closest friends.

Whatever the hidden meaning behind the twinkle, it sure had stirred something alien in his heart.

Something that he thought he would never had despite the enormous love given by B1A4’s passionate fans.

Could it be… he has fallen into your twisted yet subtle charms?

“Hyung, be careful!” Shinwoo pressed the brake barely before his car could touch the bark of a huge tree by the side of the road. Passers-by looked at their way to see if they were okay. Baro who sat beside him was silently fuming.

“Hyung, you can do all those thinking at your home without having to cause harm to other people while on the road. Are you trying to make me die young?” Those silently spiteful words spoken in an angry yet controlled tone made Shinwoo felt ever so guilty for not being careful while driving. He could easily have caused a major road accident if it was not because of Baro’s warning that came out just at the right time.

“Sorry, Baro-yah, I didn’t focus on my driving just now.”

“Hyung, are you alright? Is there something wrong? Are you sick again?”

Shinwoo shook his head before starting off the car engine and continue driving. Despite Baro’s request to replace him, Shinwoo pushed it away until they arrived at Baro’s semi-detached house.

Before closing the door, Baro asked again with a worried expression on his face. “Dongwoo hyung, are you sure you’re okay?”

Shinwoo just nodded with a small smile on his face before added, “Please don’t tell the others about this, okay?”

He was a bit taken aback with Shinwoo’s peculiar little request; after all they always shared about everything and it could be said that there was no secrets between them. But Baro knew there might be something going on in his hyung’s head, so he just put on a small smile and nodded before closing the door and entering his home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting beside the Han River in the middle of bright yet breezy afternoon was very calming. However, it only gave a bit of tranquility in Shinwoo’s mind that was still shaken because of the accident that almost occurred due to his endless train of thoughts, especially when it came to a girl that often haunted his thoughts nowadays; you.

Although he tried so hard to deny it; but deep down in his heart, Shinwoo knew he started to like you from the moment he met you. He knew that somehow something inclined him to be by your side all the time. If he could, he wanted to tell you his feelings. But then, one thing that made he hesitated to do so; the fear of rejection.

He never had the chance to confess his feelings to a girl before, but watching some of his friends experiencing heartbreak after being rejected by the girl they liked has made him a coward. He was afraid that he would undergo the same thing. Regardless of his fans claiming that he was a man full of charms, Shinwoo admitted that he was just a beginner when it comes to…love (he wondered if it was worth to be called as such).

However, despite the lack of experience, Shinwoo wanted to give it a try. Well, that was when he started to think hard on how to make the first move. And that was when it hit him.

‘Why don’t I start off by walking her home? That doesn’t sound bad at all…’

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, Shinwoo’s plan to get close to you-the tomboyish girl-did not go as he thought it would be.

Given the fact that you were excellent in Calculus and Trigonometry; even exceeded the intelligence of the top student in that batch-which was Gongchan, by the way-the smart boy decided to study together with you that afternoon. He wanted to get a few tips on tackling the confusing questions of those subjects from you, in exchange of teaching you the ways to write and read Korean language better.

Seeing both of you sitting together at one of the tables in the library; it made Shinwoo felt disappointed at himself. Apparently, he did not tell you at advance that he was going to wait for you. It was only an hour later that he learned from Minha about your plan to study in the library. Shinwoo felt so down that he ignored Baro and Sandeul when they asked about whose turn to perform in the weekly Music Club meeting.

At that moment, something just clicked in the boy’s mind. In hurry, he left Sandeul and Baro; both began to question their hyung’s mental state ever since he was down with the flu.

 

Just on the night before the weekly meeting, Shinwoo texted Jinyoung.

Shinwoo

Jinyoung-ah, guess what? I’m going to sing a song for tomorrow’s meeting! :D

Jinyoung

Ye?

Shinwoo

It would be a total surprise for everyone, my solo comeback stage!

Jinyoung

But hyung…

Shinwoo

I’m so nervous, Jinyoung. But I’m excited as well! :)

Jinyoung

Hyung, it is Sandeul’s turn.

Shinwoo

What?

Jinyoung

Sandeul told me that he was going to perform tomorrow. He told me that he asked you before if there’s no one going to perform this week. You didn’t say much, so he assumed that there’s indeed no one and he decided to step up and take the stage. So, yeah, it’s Sandeul…

                 Hyung?

                 Hello, anyone there?

                 Hello, earth to Shin Dong Woo?

                 I don’t know what the hell is going on, but good night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“As usual, each of the members of the Music Club has the chance to show off their musical talents on the stage every week. So this week we will listen to the sweet voice singing a song written by our senior Jung Jinyoung, which will of course render each and every heart of the girls here with sweet serenade. Give it up for Lee Sandeul with the song titled ‘Crush’!”

As everyone clapped their hands, Sandeul appeared on the stage, sitting beside a grand piano in white. When the clapping sounds of applause died down, he began by playing some of the keys, letting some beautiful melody to reach the audience’s ears and hearts.

 

Kkwae oraedoen geotman gata

Neol mollae johahaetdeon na

Hoksina deulkil kkabwa maeum jorimyeo

Mareul halkka malkka honja gomineul hae

 

Nae mameul algo isseulkka

Moreun cheokago isseulkka

Jeokdanghi twinggidaga mot igineun cheok

Nae mam badajwo geureom andoelkka

(A/N: Translation

I feel like it’s been a long time

 Since I liked you in secret

 With worries that I might get caught

 I contemplate by myself whether or not I should tell you

 

Do you know how I feel?

 Or are you pretending not to know?

 Can’t you just play hard to get for a little while?

 And then accept my heart – can’t you?)

 

Most of the crowd seemed to be immersed in the song while listening to Sandeul’s voice. Some, like you could not seem to understand how someone cheeky and bubbly like him could have such a great voice. That thought was likely to haunt you more as you listened to the chorus.

Nae saranga nae saranga

Ijen naege mameul yeoreo jwo butakae

Gidarime jichyeo beoryeoseo himdeureo jujeoanjji anhge

Nae son jabajwo

(A/N: Translation

My love, my love

 Please open your heart to me now, I ask of you

 So that I won’t get tired from waiting and fall down

 Hold my hand)

 

As he sang along, Sandeul got up from his seat in front of the piano. He was holding a bouquet of red roses which presence was unnoticed since everyone was focusing on him. He walked down the stage towards the audience, yet he simply ignored the reactions of the members who obviously wanted to receive the flowers from the songbird, what with the song which clearly spoke of a love confession. His eyes were only looking at one person in the midst of the crowd.

To the fan girls’ dismay, he gave it to you.

You were quite perplexed to the whole thing; Sandeul’s romantic side, the roses you received from him, a crowd looking at you with distaste and a glimpse of some boys getting frustrated. As you disliked being the focus of attention, you were so baffled that you did not realize Sandeul was holding your hands and giving you the sweetest smile that could easily melt a girl’s heart. Even as he walked back to the stage, you were still frozen at your seat with the red roses in your hands.

You were confused with everything that just happened, but one could see the things clearly enough.

Sitting beside the discouraged-looking Shinwoo, Baro knew that this was a classic crush thing. Ever since he almost involved in a car accident with Shinwoo (he was still a bit irritated with Shinwoo), Baro had watched the older boy closely as he wondered what had triggered him to be a bit disarrayed lately. He also noticed how his cousin Sandeul who always became the mood maker among them slowly turned to someone quiet and shy. That day, he found the cause.

It was you.

Judging by Sandeul’s eyes looking at you the whole time he performed and the way Shinwoo was looking at both of you when Sandeul gave the roses to the unknowing girl; Baro knew that both of them liked the same person. He himself had never a crush on a girl before, but Baro wondered if it was something that was quite complex and complicated upon seeing the boy beside him ruffled his long hair, sighing in deep regret.

“Huh… I should have done it sooner… Silly you, Shin Dongwoo!”

“Hyung, do you like Ara?” A long, endless train of thoughts in his mind halted when Baro asked him. He was sure that he did not give away the impression that the inquiry was true, but it seemed to him that his lack of expression convince the younger boy more.

“I knew it. Hyung, how could you give up just like that?”

Again, Shinwoo was flustered with the question. He had known Baro for so long to know that he was an alert and observant person, but he would not imagine that the feelings that he harbored towards you could be read by that boy just like an open book. Guess he needed to learn to control his expressions more.

“Hyung, out of all five of us, I am dead sure that you are the most competitive. You would do your best as our hyung to guide us to be good people. You yourself told us that we should not give up on something that we have not given a shot.”

All of the sudden, Shinwoo felt embarrassed of himself. He knew that he was the one who kept on motivating his friends when they were about to give up about something. But, being in the similar situation himself made him wonder if giving up was really an option.

“But Sandeul…”

“Even if Sandeul doesn’t like Ara as more than a friend, some other guys would like to try to capture her heart. Mind you, Ara might be a bit tomboyish; but I know someone somewhere in this college may find her charming in a quirky way, not just you hyung.”

He still did not mutter a word about it. Even so as a long time best friend of his, Baro was sure that everything he said was true; Shinwoo did liked Ara.

“Hyung, don’t give up even before you’re trying. Just make some real efforts in approaching her, okay?”

Shinwoo was still blanked when Baro walked away from him towards his father’s office, not without giving him a pat on the shoulder. It was not just of the fact that his hidden feelings could be detected by his close friend, but the realization that even a bad boy like Baro could somehow understand love and relationships more than him. He sighed again when he saw you among the crowd, sitting while holding the bouquet of roses.

However, he began to see a ray of hope filled with light of courage in his path. He knew, it was just the beginning of his way to know more of the cute tomboy, you.

 

A/N:

Yehet! Finally I updated this story for the new year of 2014 (though today is Feb 1st, it's still considered as the new year since it's Chinese New Year). For those who celebrate CNY, gong xi fa cai, ang pow lai lai! (lol just kidding :D)

Btw, I want to thank all of you who have commented, subscribed and even upvoted this story, especially:

moony-nice, iLadyKim, kara_ii, Thekpopobsessor123, nurraf, emoonsong, chaekielf, superherocan, NaiMay, seryoung, AlwaysAnElf, shiyeon, dramagirl_3379, silverhaze, KPopAnimeFanatic and my beloved Sanwoonrie!

Thank you so much guys! :D (with cherries, chocolate chips, whipped creams and whatnots on top)