Play My Music

Could This Be . . . . ?

[Narrator’s POV]

In a large bedroom furnished in harmonious tones of purple and light blue, you - clad in school uniform, consists of white shirt and blue pinafore, were seen lying on your bed while sighing gladly. It was as if a heavy burden has been taken from your shoulder…

It was a really nice afternoon, with the sun shining magnificently clothed with puffy white clouds. These views, which can be seen from the windows of the your bedroom, seemed to cheer the girl up as a little smile appeared on her face…

 

[Your POV]

Oh… It is sure nice having to rest in my own bedroom after those nerve-wrecking exams for two weeks. I’ve been studying for months and it feels like paradise after the last paper we sat. Now, I even plan to spend more times with my friends after the exam. Well, I wonder why, but I get a feeling that we won’t see each other after this. Maybe, just maybe, it’s just my illusion.

Then I hear the sounds from downstairs that indicates Mama has arrived.

She has always late from work. She might sound like a workaholic, but I know that was one way for her to get busy. Mama has always been diligent in her electronics business to support us ever since I was a little kid. It is all because the irresponsibility of her boyfriend 17 years ago. My biological father left Mama after he found out that Mama was pregnant. Fortunately, my grandparents understood her situation that they even helped her out in those difficult times.

Being a single mother at such a young age has taught Mama to be a brave and hardworking woman. After I was born, she continued her studies in South Korea in order to prepare herself as the owner of my grandfather’s company later. At there, she gained a lot of connections that enabled her to develop her company to become one of the known electronics business empires around the world. It might sound amazing, but having a luxurious life did not change other people’s opinions about me. They will still and always regard me as a child out of wedlock.

As our lives just get better, Mama slowly loses her interest in her love life. Maybe she was traumatized with her past. At the same time, I myself have developed an emotional barrier towards boys. Yet I have more boys as my friends. Actually, all of them are BOYS. I just couldn’t stand how the girls looked at me like I’m a pitiful and filthy girl.

“Look, that girl has no father.”

“Is it true? No wonder she’s so quiet. What a weirdo.”

“I wonder how on earth her mother gathers such a lot of wealth though.”

“Maybe through…”

It just sickened me of how close-minded their thoughts could be. Those words had caused me to be more antisocial towards people. Fortunately, some boys approached me and sincerely offered me their friendships. It turned out that they also came from problematic families, just like me. In a way, they understood what I was feeling. That is one of the things that bring us closer. It is also one of the things that make other people misunderstood us, but as long as we are together, I don’t even bother with their stares.

Speaking of the devils, just moments later, I receive a text message from one of them, Farris.

Farris: “Hey, what’s up AD? You’re coming this evening? The whole bunch of us is here waiting for you.”

Me: “What? Hey, don’t start the session without me, wait for me!

Farris: “Then, hurry up dude! See you later”

Wow! It’s been a long time since Farris, Nathan, Ajay and me hanged out together. I quickly change into my casual wear; a blue printed t-shirt, a pair of short black denims and a pair of funky purple sneakers. That would be comfortable enough for me.

As I descend the stairs, I notice that Mama is reading a newspaper. She probably does not have time to do that this morning. As I walk past her to get my car keys, she asks me.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m heading to Farris’ house as usual, Mama.”

“Right after your exams ended, Bella? Seriously?”

Urgh… I hated it when she questioned everything that I wanted to do, especially when she address me as Bella, which is so NOT my favorite nickname. Mum, I’m not a kid anymore! Please understand…

“Yeah, it’s been a while since I hang out with my friends, right? So can I go?” Without a word, she grunted and continued her reading. It was a green light for me, yippee!!

I immediately fetched my car keys and rushed outside without looking back. Honestly, this is just the beginning of my freedom!

 

[Farris’ house]

“Hey, here comes our Arathena, the goddess of song battle!” Ajay exclaimed as I entered the fully modified garage built by Farris’ brothers. Oh, Arathena? That’s just one of the nicknames that they created for me after the goddess of war, Athena. Those silly boys…

“So, what shall we do?” Nathan with his blur face asked us the SAME question every time we hanged out together like this moment.

“You mean, what shall we SING?” Farris with his usual slightly sarcastically tone tried to playfully hit him with his drumsticks.

“How about the song ‘The Ballad of Mona Lisa’?” Ajay suggested a song from the band Panic! At The Disco.

“Ajay, you’ve got to be kidding me! That song, AGAIN?!” I was horrified at the Ajay’s idea that I had sing and (literally) scream out the song for the tenth time. Please, let me choose the song!

“Hey! Don’t you guys remember that we will try to sing one of The Jonas’ Brothers songs? Don’t tell me you forgot about it. You have to keep your promise; it is for my birthday last week!” Nathan reminded us about the promise we made during his birthday to sing one of the songs from his favorite band.

As they quarreled about songs that we should practice, I suddenly remembered of a song I just heard in my iPhone, so I suggested it to them.

Here it goes…

Music's in my soul

 I can hear it

 Every day and every night

 It's the one thing on my mind

 Music's got control

 And I'm never letting go

 No, no

 I just want to play my music

When we are jamming, my phone was ringing right during the chorus part of the song. Well, I felt it vibrating in my pocket, so I picked up the call only to hear Mama asking me to come back early to dress up for a dinner with her colleagues from her Korean subsidiary.

It was so frustrating when something annoying came up in the middle of something much more fun. I mean, I found that dinners were so boring! What’s with wearing a short dress that expose your frail legs and high heels that cause a mere walking such a pain? Plus, I hate being around strangers not knowing what to say and what to do while Mama was busy chitchatting with her friends. To me, attending dinners was just like trying to study English in the middle of a Mathematics class…

Nevertheless, I told Farris and the gang that I would go home.

 

[Your house]

As I arrived home, I found out from our housemaids that Mama had gone to a salon. For me, it is such an excessive length to dress up for a dinner with total strangers.

Entering my bedroom, I noticed a gown and some accessories on my queen-sized bed.

 

Beside them was a note saying,

*For dinner tonight. Love, Mama*

Well, I might not a fan of evening dresses, but this one looked just okay for me.

Anyway, I had to get ready for a few hours of leg-exposing and heel-aching tonight. For sure, it’ll be as plain as any dinner I had attended with Mama before…