I Knew You Were Trouble

Could This Be . . . . ?

Cause I knew you were trouble when you walked in

So shame on me now

 

[Your POV]

To tell you the truth, this is the first time I feel accepted among Mama’s colleague. Most of them come to me complimenting my performance. Mama, who disagreed of my hobby, even smiles proudly when people, including Mr. Song, tell her that her daughter is so talented.

“Arabella, do you take any vocal classes? I thought you sang like a professional singer just now”, Mr. Song says to me. I could only smile at his words while doubting my own skills. I am not into ballads so much at that time as I spends most of my times lingering with my friends while listening to pop rock and alternative songs. The only time that I listen to ballads is only during my piano lessons.

“Wow, Anna. You’re so lucky to have a smart and talented daughter like Arabella. She even takes your beautiful looks”, he says to Mama, who suddenly blushes at that comment. She seems to be closer to Mr. Song than any of her colleagues. Is there something between them that I did not know?

“Junsik-ssi, you also should be proud of your son. Not only he is handsome and good-looking, but he is also capable in handling huge company projects. By the way, I haven’t seen Joongki in a while. Where is he?”

So, Mr. Song has a son, aye? Mama speaks of him as if he is much older than me. Well, I am not that desperate to find someone to talk to in this dinner, but I am kind of looking forward to meet Mr. Song’s son in person.

Just then, a man comes to our table, wearing a casual suit in grey hues. His face reminds me of Mr. Song, which gives me the idea that he is the son that we are talking about just now.

“He said he’ll come late… Oh, Joongki, you’re here? Meet Madam Anna and her daughter Arabella. She is the CEO for the Malaysian branch that I’ve told you.” Mr. Song introduces Joongki to us politely, but I sense some annoyance at his face while he is looking at Joongki. I do not know if Mama notices it, but Joongki reeks of alcohol, specifically champagne.

“Hello madam, how are you?” He greets Mama with a voice that sounds a bit blurry, as if he just came out of a nightclub.

“Hello Joongki, it’s been a while. Meet my daughter, Arabella.” He extends a hand to me, but I do not respond to that. I can see that Mama is surprised of it, thus she nudges me to shake his hand back.

Seriously, I HATE it when she does that. Unfortunately, all three pairs of eyes are looking at me, wondering of what on earth I am doing at that moment. So, I unwillingly shake Joongki’s hand and plaster a fake smile on my face. Why, oh why am I going through this?

 

[Joongki’s POV]

Huh… Finally I arrive at the dinner. I know that I am kind of tipsy from the shots in the club, but I feel that I am quite fine enough to attend the dinner. If not because of my father, I would not even show my face here.

Upon my arrival, I notice that my father is looking at me with a raged face before he turns to Madam Anna with calm, smiling face. I just cannot understand how my father can change his expression within just a few seconds. Well, who cares if he’s mad at me? At least I come here, just like what he tells me to.

As I walk towards them, I notice a petite figure stands beside Madam Anna. As I go nearer, I realize that her face resembles a lot of Madam Anna’s face. I guess it would be her daughter then. I seldom realize the beauty of girls when I hang out with them all the nights as I thought they are all getting plastic surgeries for it, but for a split second, I notice that the girl is really pretty and it actually looks natural.

“Hello madam, how are you?”

“Hello Joongki, it’s been a while. Meet my daughter, Arabella.” I can see that she instantly dislikes me as it takes a while for her to actually respond to my greetings. Though it is kind of rude, I find that she is somewhat charming in her own ways. You know what; I am going to get close to this girl, no matter what.

After a few bites of the cuisine and words with my father’s employees, I search for Madam Anna’s daughter and find her around the corner of the ballroom, all alone. My chance has arrived!

“Hey there, pretty girl in purple dress. What are you doing here alone?” As soon as I speak, she stares at me as if to indicate that she is not in the mood to be in a conversation. Wow, easy there girl! I’m not going to kidnap you or do anything, or whatever bad things that exist in this world to you. Does she need to do that, anyway?

“I guess as you’re not doing anything in here, why not we go out to somewhere to have a nice drink?”

“No, thanks. For your information, I’m still considered as under age to drink and even if I want to get out of here so badly, it will be certainly not with you. So, if you excuse me…” She replies in a strict tone and immediately walks out of the ballroom. What a rude girl for rejecting my offer to drink!

Be patient, Joongki. She will be in your hands, somehow…

So, I follow her out to the corridors on the way to the rock garden. Luckily I manage to catch up with her, so I grab her hand.

“Let me go! Let go of my hands, would you?!” She tries to free herself, but my grip on her hand become tighter.

“It was kind of rude of you to reject my offer to drink when I asked you politely. You know, this behavior somehow will be despised by any man if you do it often. Why don’t you come with me, before I change my mind?”

She glares at me and suddenly my right foot feels painful because of a kick she aims at me. It is so painful; I am barely able to not tumble in front of her. This is going too far…

“You know what? For an underage girl, you are so rude yet strong. Actually, that is my ideal type. Would you…” I am not thinking straight at that time, that my face gets nearer to hers and our lips almost meet when suddenly…

I fall to the floor with bleeding lips. Gosh, she even punches me!

“Who the hell do you think you are to kiss me? I’m not even your wife, let alone your girlfriend.  ert!” She takes off her high heels for some reason and starts to walk barefooted. I chase her and try to hug her when she pushes me away, causing me to tumble again.

 

[Narrator’s POV]

Though you had hit him enough for him to scurry away, but the drunken Joongki was still persistent to chase and harass you. Fearing that what he saw might actually go out of hand, a tall, good-built figure that had followed you two from the ballroom immediately went towards Joongki and punched him in the face. Both you and Joongki were confused by his actions.

All of the sudden, he said “Do not touch her, she is my girlfriend” With those words, she took Ara away and quickly went towards the rock garden. Joongki was so dazed with what has happened; he could not even recognize the face of the stranger that claimed to be Ara’s boyfriend.  All that his fuzzy brain could register was that he was wearing a pair of spectacles…