Mirai

Could This Be . . . . ?

[Narrator’s POV]

As you and your mother arrived at the grand ballroom in Hilton Hotel, you saw some of your mother’s Korean colleagues were waiting for both of you.

“Oh Madam Anna, you’ve arrived…”

“Nice to meet you…”

“Long time no see, madam…”

“Hello everyone, have you seen Mr. Song Junsik anywhere?” You felt so strange hearing that kind of question escaping from your mother’s mouth. As far as you knew, Mr. Song was one of your mother’s highly-trusted business partners. You yourself never even met this particular business tycoon who was known nationwide in Korea.

“I’m here, Madam Anna” a deep voice answered all of you as a tall, smart-looking man walked in charismatically towards you. For a Korean adult, he was quite attractive and he had a dazzling smile that made even the strict Madam Anna to reciprocate it with a sweet one that was rarely seen on her face. He joined the crowd and they started to drift off towards the entrance, leaving you quite alone behind them.

While your mother was engaged in the conversation with them, you felt so alienated. You knew from the start that going to the dinner with your mother was not a good idea at all.

Even as the MC was trying to crack some jokes, they sounded lame to your hearing. If only you brought your own car just now… You would probably drive the hell out of the hotel immediately.

 

[Your POV]

Geez, it was cold here! I wished I brought along any outer clothing for some warmth. Plus, it felt so awkward sitting at the VIP table without having Mama around.

It was always the same every time we went to these kinds of function. I would be left alone in middle of the dinner while Mama went somewhere in the hall, either chitchatting or discussing something with her business partners. It was as if I am not so important to her.

After having a mental conflict whether to leave or not, I decided that it would make me suffocate more by staying longer in this ballroom. As I was about to tell Mama that I was going to get out for a while, the MC started to announce something on the stage.

“As usual in the dinners held by our company, everyone can make a request for anyone in the ballroom to perform on stage. So for tonight, our Madam Anna especially requests for her beloved daughter to sing us a song. Please welcome Miss Arabella Daniel!”

As soon as I heard my name, I was totally frozen on the spot. It felt as if my face was turning red as I heard the crowd clapped their hands. I could not believe this! Out of all days, why would Mama choose this day! I knew that she was against this hobby of mine, but asking me to do it in front of her whole bunch of employees was just as same as her attempt to embarrass me for my good-for-nothings!  (That’s what she said)

Well, despite the ball of fury I kept inside against Mama for doing it, I could not just walk away. All eyes were on me, expecting me to walk towards the stage to do something awesome. As I did so, I tried so hard to hide my nervousness. At least, I could show them what I got, isn’t it?

Nearing the stage, my mind kept thinking of what song that I should sing. I don’t even know a single Korean song, what more to say about singing it while playing the piano?

Just steps before I stood facing everyone, I remembered a Japanese song I learned during my piano lessons. Taking in a deep breath, I decided to sing that song. Let’s just hope that they like it…

Approaching the grand piano placed in front of the audience, I tried to remember all the lyrics, the chords and the rhythm of the song. After moments which seemed like hours, I started to play the piano and the ballroom was filled with utter silence…

 

[Narrator’s POV]

Hora ashimoto wo mitegoran

Kore ga anata no ayumu michi

Hora mae wo mitegoran

Are ga anata no mirai

(A/N) Translation:

Look at your feet and see

This is the path you walk

Look in front of you and see

That is your future

 

As you sang the chorus of ‘Mirai’, the guests were amazed by your sweet voice. Even Madam Anna, who had always despised her daughter’s hobby, was speechless, knowing that her daughter was not meddling around music but indeed had an amazing talent. Listening to your voice, it reminded her of a man who long time ago had captured her heart with that same talent. This was why she always told you off about singing, as your talent was descended from none other than your real father…

Mirai e mukatte yukkuri to aruite yukoo…

(A/N) Translation:

Slowly towards the future let’s walk…

As you finished your song, you closed your eyes as you were prepared to hear some cynical voices criticized you. Instead, you heard a loud sound of applauding claps from the audience. When you opened your eyes, you saw that everyone was smiling and praising you. You even noticed that some of them gave you standing ovations. As you caught the sight of your mother, you realized that your mother was shedding some tears. Descending the stage after giving a grateful bow, you went towards your mother.

“What’s wrong, Mama? Are you alright?” You felt it was strange for a serious woman like your mother to be so emotional after hearing a ballad song.

“Nothing sweetie, it’s just that… Your voice is beautiful” She replied as she hugged you. You were so clueless about her reaction but you did know one thing.

That moment was one of those rare times when you felt that she did love you so much after all…

Not far from the table where you and your mother sat, a tall gentleman clad in sleek black three-piece suit was looking at both. He was attracted to her voice and her skills of playing a piano. Seeing her off the stage, he wanted to greet her but it was not quite a good timing because she seemed to be busy with some of the guests swarming around her to greet her. Well, he would find a way somehow.