Breathe

Could This Be . . . . ?

 [Shinwoo’s POV]

          Huh… Finally I feel a bit better after the days full of coughing and sneezing fit. Even my family’s doctor permits me to attend classes next week. Well, I’m quite excited about going back to school as I’m so eager to check out the new girl that my dongsaengs talk about.

          As I am surfing the Internet with the intention to watch some of the music videos in YouTube, my mind keeps going back to one particular night a few months when I first met Madam Anna’s daughter, Arabella… I have to admit that she is as pretty as her name implies. Plus, she has a very good voice indeed. I can’t seem to take my mind off her…Well, I wonder if she ever posted a video online though.

          When I search her name in YouTube, it turns out that she does post some videos. It’s not her by herself, but she is accompanied by a band or something. Either way, she is good as what I have suspected. If only she is in Korea now, I would love to invite her to the club. Well, I’ve heard about Uncle Junsik’s and Madam Anna’s wedding, but because of my terrible flu I could not attend it. Of course, I’d missed the chance to meet her there. But then, a part of me just hoped that she would live together with her new family here. (Whoa, looks like I’m really missing her. What’s wrong with me?)

         As I am busy watching her singing “According To You” by The Orianthi, I did not realize that my friends are entering my room.

         “Shinwoo hyung, we’re glad you’re okay!” Sandeul rushes towards me like a little kid chasing the cotton candy cart. I could see the hint of relief in their faces as they look at me. Somehow, I am so grateful to have such caring buddies.

         “Hyung, I could see that you’re online now.” Jinyoung tries to start a conversation, though I know it’s a bit awkward, whereas Sandeul, Gongchan and Baro are rushing towards my laptop in hope of me watching something indecent. I thought that they would make a bored face when they find that I’m watching YouTube, but they react just the opposite. Their eyes just get wider; even Sandeul’s jaw is literally dropping. I just don’t understand of why they would react that way.

         “Isn’t the girl in the video looks familiar?” Gongchan muttered.

         “Isn’t it…” What was Baro trying to say was cut by Sandeul screaming “It’s Ara!”

         “Ara? Who’s that?” I was confused with all of those reactions and what’s more, that name seems too familiar to my hearing.

         “It’s the girl that they’ve been talking about. Arabella Song…” Luckily Jinyoung is calmer than the three stooges that he briefly explains to me regarding this ‘Ara’ girl. For a second there, I am stunned. Is the new girl Arabella all along?

         “It’s Song Ara!” Baro clearly shows his annoyance at Jinyoung’s lack of sense. I wonder, why?

         “I never knew Ara could sing…” Still being in dazed mode, Gongchan mumbles but it could be heard by all of us.

         “Unbelievable! How could you find this video, hyung?” Sandeul asks me with his curious puppy eyes.

         “Well, do you remember that time when I told you about the dinner I attended at KL?” They all nodded eagerly.

         “She is the chairwoman’s daughter and she performed that night.” I could Gongchan’s eyes widen, Sandeul’s chin drops (as always), Baro’s looking at the laptop screen and at my face back and forth while Jinyoung’s facial expressions remains solemn. Well, who knew that the new girl in the college is actually Arabella Daniel, the one that I have been thinking about lately?

         “Is she actually studying at the college?” I ask again to confirm that she is indeed in Seoul.

         “Yes, she’s sitting beside me in my class. She never told me she could sing…” Gongchan replied while still dazed with the fact that the girl he’s been hanging out with all this time have such good talent in singing.

         “Yah, Channie! Don’t be so dramatic, we are all surprised as well” Baro slapped Gongchan’s arm, being annoyed at the maknae’s unnecessary dramatic expressions.

         “Well, then it will get easier for me.” I smiled imagining her surprised face when she knew I study at the same college as her. But then, my friends were a bit lost with what I just said.

         “Shinwoo hyung, what do you mean that it will be easier for you?” Jinyoung representing the four of them asked me.

         “Oh…” I was quite oblivious that they could hear me saying that. “I thought that I would want to ask her to be one of our club members. You know… Her voice is great and all…”

         “Cool! I agree with Shinwoo hyung’s word!” Baro exclaimed while pumping his fist in the air.

         “Yeah, Ara is with us!” Sandeul jumped for joy around my king-sized bed while Gongchan just nodded as a small smile showed on his baby-look face.

         “I don’t agree!” All of us suddenly looked at Jinyoung. “She has only been in our school for around two weeks and you all easily agree to pull her in into our club? You guys are impossible…” Our chins dropped as Jinyoung continued his words of objection.

         “She’s been in trouble ever since her first day in the college. She has more haters than any es that we’ve met in school. Do you think people would simply accept her as one of the Music Club members?”

         Utter silence filled my bedroom as we listened to Jinyoung’s disagreement which came only once in a blue moon.

         “Besides hyung, don’t you remember when we were still juniors? We had to work extra hard to get known and to refine our talents and skills just for the seniors to accept us as the members of the club. So does everyone in our club. Don’t you think it will be unfair for those who put their every effort to enter the club?”

         It was a moment of deafening silence before Gongchan broke it.

         “Jinyoung hyung, I know that we give our best just to enter the club. But it’s a different case for Ara. Her voice is… should I say… beautiful?”

         “Channie’s right, Ara even knows how to play the piano and guitar; which is one of the conditions for someone to be a member.” Sandeul supported our maknae’s words.

         “Yeah, she even knows how to sing pop rock songs, which is something quite rare for the girls in our club” Baro smirked as he recalled that the only genres that the female members in their club could sing are ballad and dance pop. Sometimes, he felt nauseous just to watch them dancing while performing every single week during their club meeting.

          “Besides, Arabella has a wide range of vocal. I think she could even sing any genres. It’s something great for a singer to have that kind of ability.” I tried to persuade Jinyoung.  Seeing that all of us were defending her, he could only sigh in despair before saying, “Fine, do whatever you all want…”

          He started to walk out of my room, but stopped halfway. Turning towards us, his eyes seemed to twinkle as he said.

         “Let her perform in this upcoming meeting and let see how it goes. Let the others decide…”

         As he continued to walk, the four of us were smiling having convinced Jinyoung.

 

[At the Song’s residence]

[Narrator’s POV]

          *Ara, please come to our meeting this coming Saturday. If you could, prepare to perform a song that day. Could you?*

          Gongchan’s persuasive words still lingered in your ears. For you, it was a great opportunity to show the others what you got. But one thing bothered you; how did he know about your hobby of singing?

          ‘Hmm… Whatever…’ You thought as you searched for the guitar chords for a certain song that has been playing in your head since Gongchan invited you to the meeting; in fact it has been since you left your best friends in Malaysia…

           Ha, got it! You found it and started to learn the chords before you sang the song with the accompaniment of your beloved guitar for the first time.

          And we know it’s never simple, never easy

           Never a clean break, no one’s here to save me

           You’re the only thing I know like the back of my hand

           And I can’t breathe without you, but I have to

           Breathe without you, but I have to…

           Suddenly you felt the urge to cry as the meaning of the lyrics stirred your memories with your friends up. But then, you tried your best not to, because you did not want to bother the whole house with your puffy red eyes. Plus, you wanted to be strong in front of your mother to show that you were just fine with everything revolved around your life.

           ‘Ara, stop crying! This is so not you. Get a grip!’ With that, you breathed in and out few times to calm yourself down before you decided that it was time to wash up before dinner time.

           However without you knowing, someone had seen everything from the back of your bedroom’s door.

          ‘She is good, just like what Abeoji said. But that won’t even change anything between us. Check, it won't change the fact that I still despise her,’ Joongki looked at your room once more before heading downstairs.

 

[At the Music Hall…]

[Your POV]

          Oh…I don’t know why, but I’m getting nervous and fidgety though I try to hide it. However, despite my effort to conceal my anxiety, Minha notices it as if she could read me like an open book.

          “Don’t worry, Ara-yah. Everything will be fine just the way you like it to be.” I could feel her warm hands comforting my cold, sweaty ones. I don’t know how to response to that, so I just say “I know”.

          Some moments later, a boy that might be in the same age as me comes up on the stage and takes over the microphone.

          “Welcome ladies and gentlemen to our Music Club meeting. As you all have heard, we are going to take a new member into our family and she is going to perform for us today. Please welcome, Miss Song Ara!”

          Everyone applaud upon hearing my name. As I rise and head towards the stage with my guitar, I could see curious faces trying to take a look at my presence. Not to mention some of the members who sneer at me as if I’m not that worth it to do so.

          Well you know what? I’m not going to back up that easily.

          As I go up the stage, I bow before everyone and then take a seat in the middle of the stage. Although my heart beats hard and it feels like it will jump out of my mouth anytime soon, I try my best to calm down before everything is started.

 

[Narrator’s POV]

          I see your face in my mind as I drive away,

          ‘Cause none of us thought it was gonna end that way.

          People are people and sometimes we change our minds,

          But it’s killing me to see you go after all this time…

          Everyone was amazed upon hearing a sweet, mellow voice that came out as you sang ‘Breathe’ while playing your guitar. Some people who jeered at you before could only drop their chins as you continued singing.

          Even Jinyoung who was standing around the stage surprised. Although he would never say it out loud, but now he understood of why Shinwoo insisted to ask you to join their club. Then, he realized that he should not look down on you at the first place.

          And we know it’s never simple, never easy

          Never a clean break, no one’s here to save me

          You’re the only thing I know like the back of my hand

          And I can’t breathe without you, but I have to

          Breathe without you, but I have to…

          While most were amazed and started to admire you, one person who sat the farthest from the stage could only smile as he saw his dream came true. Shinwoo knew all along that people would love to hear you sing. He strongly believed that most of them would agree for you to join the club. But most of all, he hoped Jinyoung would treat you differently after this.

          Sorry, sorry, sorry, yeah, sorry

          Sorry, sorry, sorry…

          After the performance, all you could hear was a complete silence as if no one was there to watch you. But then, slowly some claps were heard before the whole hall was filled with applause from the audience. You couldn’t help but to smile proudly to them.

          “Alright ladies and gentlemen, after putting a lot of thoughts into this matter, the committee decided to bring Miss Song Ara in as the new addition to our family!” As the young MC announced it, everyone was practically cheering for you. You smiled as everyone welcomed you. From far, you could see Minha giving you thumbs-up while mouthing 'Good job!'

          After you came down the stage, you returned to your seat beside Minha. Minha immediately congratulated and complimented you. Somehow, you felt very happy seeing someone appreciated what you did so much. Once again, you felt grateful of having Minha as your friend.

          "Oh by the way, where are the others?" You asked for the boys' whereabouts.

          "Ah! I forgot to tell you, they will perform after this together with the club president." Hearing that, you became excited as you could not wait to see the club president yourself. You would like to see just how talented he could be.

          Just then, the MC came up on the stage again. "I know that you all are touched by Miss Song Ara's performance, but now is the moment we're waiting for. Give a round of applause to... B1A4!" With that, all of the girls were screaming their heads off as five figures went up the stage. You just held your breath as you also anticipated their performance.