Chapter Two

December 25th

 

“Having a good day?”

“Don’t ask. You’re here with me for a whole day.”

Kai smirked. He walked towards Kyungsoo, sitting on the bed side. He pulled out his pocket watch, looking at it. “It’s 27 days left.” he said.

“I know.” Kyungsoo replied half-heartedly. “Can you stop counting on it?”

“You’re scared, huh?”

“Not like that.” Kyungsoo turned his body so his back faced Kai. “I know I’m gonna die soon, though. I heard the doctor said that to my mom. It’s just… knowing when I will die just makes me a bit…”

“Relax, Do Kyungsoo.” Kai said. “I don’t want you to get collapse and die now. It’s against the procedure.”

“Stop calling me with my full name.”

“I like calling you like that. Do Kyungsoo.”

“Stop it, Kai!”

Kai raised his eyebrows as he heard Kyungsoo’s tone went higher. He couldn’t see the boy’s face, but he knew that Kyungsoo was scared to hell.

“Don’t think about it too much.” Kai said after a few second of silence. He bent down, giving Kyungsoo a pat on his head. “Now, take a sleep. I’ll be here with you.”

Kyungsoo sighed. Do you think your presence will make me get a better feeling?

“No.”

“What?”

“My presence will not make you get a better feeling at all.”

“God, you read my mind! It’s so rude, you know that?!”

Again, a smirk appeared on Kai’s lips. He patted Kyungsoo’s head before transforming into his black cat form. Kai used to transform into that form. In that form, everybody could see the death god.

“This annoying death god…”

The black cat Kai looked at Kyungsoo. He mewed, jumping onto Kyungsoo’s lap and laying his body there. Kyungsoo sighed heavily.

 

***

 

Kyungsoo smiled when his mother came into his room. She had a bouquet of flowers on her hand. “Hello, Dear,” she said.

“Hey, Mom,” Kyungsoo replied.

Kai, with his cat form, mewed, making Kyungsoo’s mother chuckled. “Aw, he comes again.” she said as she took Kai into her embrace. “It looks like he likes you, Kyungsoo. He comes here every day.”

If you know I really want to kill him if I could, Mom. “Yeah, it looks like that.”

“Does he have a name?”

“Mmm. It’s Kai.”

“Ah, you named him?”

“Err… yes,” Kyungsoo gulped. “By the way, is that a flowers bouquet?”

“Ah, yes!” Kyungsoo’s mom took Kai on the floor and gave the bouquet to Kyungsoo. “My friends in office bought it together for you. They hope you’ll get better soon.”

I’ll die soon, actually. “Ah, I see. Tell them my gratitude, Mom.”

“Of course I will.” Kyungsoo’s mother patted his son’s head. “Hey, how about making a party after you’re already recover? It must be fun!”

Kyungsoo’s face fell down when he heard his mother idea. I’ll be dead on December, 25th, Mom. “Ah… Mom…”

“Yes?”

“I… actually, I’m gonna di—“

Suddenly, Kai jumped onto Kyungsoo’s lap, mewing. And Kyungsoo didn’t have any idea how it could be, but he could hear Kai’s voice on his mind.

“Don’t tell her, you idiot.”

Kyungsoo frowned hearing that. “K-Kai…?” he hissed.

“No one should know when you’re gonna die. And stop looking at me as if I’m an alien.”

“You are not an alien. But you are a death god.” Kyungsoo muttered with a small voice.

“Kyungsoo? Did you say something?”

Kyungsoo lifted his head in surprise. “E-Eh? Mmh, no. I didn’t say anything.” he said, smiling awkwardly.

“Okay, if you say so…” she smiled, Kyungsoo’s hair. “Ah, I have to go now, Kyungsoo. I’m so sorry but I’m really busy nowadays. I’ll come back here tomorrow, okay?”

“Yeah.”

“See you tomorrow, Son.”

Kyungsoo’s mother left after she laid a kiss on her son’s forehead.

“She’s a really good mother.”

Kyungsoo smiled at Kai. “Yes. But she really looks tired, doesn’t she?”

“A bit.”

“It’s all because of me…” Kyungsoo let a sad smile appears on his lips. “Sometimes I think, if I die, maybe she will live happily. She doesn’t have to work so hard, she doesn’t have to get worry about something…”

There was still a sad smile on Kyungsoo’s pink lips.

“Don’t give me such a smile, human.”

“Shut up, cat.”

 

***

 

It was a full moon when Kyungsoo walked outside the hospital building freely. Thanks to Kai and his manipulating ability.

“The moon is so beautiful…” Kyungsoo said, looking up at the beautiful moon in the sky.

Kai, who walked behind him, just smiled slightly.

They walked to the bench where they first met. Kyungsoo took his seat while he enjoyed the night breeze.

Kai came closer, sitting beside him without saying anything.

“Hey, Kai,” Kyungsoo called the death god after a slight of silence.

“Hmm?” Kai mumbled as an answer. He looked at Kyungsoo with the corner of his eyes.

“How it feels to be a death god?”

“Bad.”

Kyungsoo looked excited somehow. “Tell me.”

“You won’t happy hearing that.”

“Just tell me! I want to know,”

Kai looked at the bold eyes in front of him, sighing. “As a death god, I can sense any of emotions from people who will be my target. I can read their mind, I know their feelings automatically.”

 “So you can read my feeling now?”

“Yes.”

“How is my feeling now?”

“Mix.”

He is right…

“Of course I am right.”

“Hey, don’t read my mind without my permission!”

“It’s automatically, Do Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo made a cute pout on his face. “Why do you always call me with my full name?”

“It feels nice on my tongue.”

“The way you call me is just like an old man calls his grandson.”

“I am much older than you. I already live for ages.”

Hearing that, Kyungsoo gave a sympathy gaze to Kai. “Living for ages… doesn’t it feel so lonely sometimes…?” he asked carefully. “I will feel so lonely if I were you… go around this world collecting human souls with nobody beside you…”

Kai lost his words.

At the time, Kyungsoo swore he could see a lonely feeling appeared on Kai’s handsome face.

“Hey, Kai…”

“What again, fussy man?”

“Let’s make a deal.”

“What deal?”

“Don’t be such an annoying man like that, you have to smile in front of me no matter what, and I’ll be your friend so you won’t be so lonely, at least until my last day.”

Kai raised his eyebrow in surprise. What kind of deal was that? Kai had never heard something like that before.

No, he’d never met somebody who wanted to be his friend even he knew Kai would take his soul.

“Hey, do you agree with the deal?” Kyungsoo gently shook Kai’s shoulder.

Kai suddenly burst in laugh. “You really are a weird person.” The cold man said between his laugh.

“Can I hit you?” Kyungsoo asked, pouting.

But who knows that his heart beat even faster looking at Kai’s laughter?