Chapter One

December 25th

“There’s no hope for him to stay alive. Sooner or later, he’ll be gone. I’m so sorry, Ma’am.”

“No… Kyungsoo… my Kyungsoo…!”

I know that day will come. The day I’ll die.

 

***

 

“Is that your next target?”

“Yeah. Do Kyungsoo, age twenty. Dead by heart attack.”

“When will it be?”

“December, 25th.”

“On Christmas? How sad.”

The man in black suit smirked. “I don’t know what sad is, Suho.” he said before disappear.

The other man, still with black suit, sighed. “Kai… you’re such a cold-blooded death god…”

 

***

 

Kyungsoo lied on the hospital bed, looking outside with no muse. Sometime a heavy sigh slipped from his lips.

I’m gonna die soon. I’m gonna die really soon.

He closed his eyes as he kept wondering how it feels like to die. But his thought was interrupted when the VIP room door was open. His mother walked in with a bucket of fruits on her hands. “Ah, you’re awake,” she said, giving Kyungsoo a soft smile. “How are you today, Dear? Are you feeling better?”

I feel like I’m gonna die. “Yeah,”

Kyungsoo’s mom sat beside her son, taking his hand and squeezing it. “You’ll get well really soon. Don’t think too much, it will be bad for your health.”

“Yeah, Mom, don’t worry…” Kyungsoo gave her a reassuring smile. He didn’t want her to be worry about him.

“So, you want some fruit?”

“Mmm, sure.”

Kyungsoo stared at his mother when she started to chop an apple. She looked older than her actual age. She must be so tired. She had to work harder to pay the hospital cost. They just lived together since Kyungsoo’s father died on some car accident two years ago.

“Mom…” Kyungsoo called his mother with a weak voice.

“Yes, Dear?”

“Don’t force yourself to work too much…”

She stopped chopping and looked at her only son. “I have to work for you, Honey. For us.”

“You look so tired, Mom…”

“I’m okay, Dear.” she said, smiling at Kyungsoo. “Now, now, open your mouth and eat this delicious apple!”

Kyungsoo laughed softly. He opened his mouth and let his mother feed him.

“Oh, by the way, I can’t come here tonight, there are some papers I have to work on. Is it fine with you?” His mother asked.

Kyungsoo nodded his head slightly while chewing the apple. “Yeah, of course.” he said.

If I die, she doesn’t have to work this hard anymore…

 

***

 

“I want to go out, Miss. Can I? Just for a little longer, I’ll come back really soon.”

The nurse looked at Kyungsoo with a worry look. It wasn’t the first time Kyungsoo begged her to let him going out at night, and she was never able to resist him. But Kyungsoo’s condition wasn’t good lately that she wasn’t sure to let him go.

“Kyungsoo, you know your condition…”

“Please, Miss, just for a while and I’ll be back before you realize it!”

The nurse sighed looking at Kyungsoo’s begging eyes. “Okay…” she finally said, “but don’t take too long time, okay?”

Kyungsoo nodded happily. “Don’t worry about it!” he said before sneaking out from the building, walking to the hospital backyard.

Kyungsoo used to come here when the night grew. Sitting on the bench on this backyard made him feel more comfort.

But now, he found somebody already came before him.

There was a man wearing a black suit, his face was handsome but his expression was cold. Kyungsoo had never seen him around here before.

It was like the man realized Kyungsoo arrival as he suddenly lifted his head and their eyes met.

“A-Ah… sorry for interrupting you… I don’t mind to…” Kyungsoo said.

The man smiled slightly. “You’re not interrupting at all.” he said with his deep voice.

“Uh…” Kyungsoo took a little time to think what to say. “Who… who are you?”

“I’m Kai. And you’re Do Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo looked startled hearing the stranger’s answer. They never met before, how could he know his name?

“How could you…?”

“I know everything about you, Do Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo suddenly felt so cold as he shivered. This man… his instinct said he has to go away from this man. “I don’t know who you are…” he said with shaking voice.

Another cold smile rose on the stranger lips. He took out a pocket watch from his pocket, looking at it. “Start from now, I’ll stay by your side. Until that day.”

“T-That day…? What day…?”

“December, 25th.”

“W-What?”

“The day you’ll die.”

 

***

 

All Kyungsoo remembered was he ran away from that Kai man, entering his room and hiding under the blanket. He was awake until the sun came out, he couldn’t close his eyes even just for a second. The thought about he’ll die on December 25th was haunted him.

That man, did he lie to me? Or he really means it? Is he a death god or something? God, I don’t know what is right…

Kyungsoo’s body started to shiver remembering what happened last night. Kyungsoo knew it wasn’t a dream. Kai was real, but did he say the truth?

“You doubt me.”

Kyungsoo screamed out as he saw Kai suddenly stood beside him. Hearing at it, Kai just smiled coldly.

“Nobody can hear you, Do Kyungsoo.”

“W-What are you doing here?! Go away from me you weird man!” Kyungsoo yelled.

“As I said before, I’ll be by your side until the day of your death.” Kai said it calmly. “You still have thirty more days, enjoy it.”

“How could I enjoy my day if you’re here saying that I will die in thirty days?!”

“Well. It’s your problem.”

“Y-You such a weirdo! I’ll go get some help!”

“Nobody can help you.”

“You lie!” Hurriedly, Kyungsoo got up and ran towards the door. But when he opened it, he couldn’t find anybody out there.

“As I said, nobody can help you.”

Kyungsoo turned his body, facing Kai. “What did you do?! Where is everybody?!”

“There is no everybody until I’m done talking to you.”

“W-What?! How could you?!”

“Well… since I’m a death god, making everybody disappear is not a big deal for me.”

“What?! You killed them?!”

“Are you idiot?” Kai sighed. “It’s like manipulating. You can’t see them and what they can see is just you’re still sleeping in your room.”

Kyungsoo felt his legs turn into a jelly. He fell down to the floor, suddenly panting hardly. It was a pain on his chest. His body was trembling, he felt really dizzy.

It’s real. He’s really a death god. And I really will die on December, 25th.

Looking at Kyungsoo’s reaction, another sigh came through Kai’s firm lips. He walked towards Kyungsoo, squatting beside the trembling guy. “Calm down.” he said, pulling Kyungsoo into his embrace and lifting Kyungsoo’s weak body. With Kyungsoo on his arms, he walked into Kyungsoo’s room and laid him on bed.

“Y-You…” Kyungsoo whispered between his pant. His chest felt so heavy.

“I said calm down. You can’t die now.”

Kyungsoo closed his eyes tightly as he felt like there was some transparent tie tied his chest tightly he couldn’t breathe. And then he could feel the crowd around him.

“Kyungsoo! Calm down!”

It was his mother’s voice. Everybody was back.

Kyungsoo could feel that the doctor came with the nurse. They put an oxygen mask around his nose and lips so that he could feel his breathe were getting lighter.

And when he opened his eyes, he found Kai stood on the corner of the room, looking at him with his sharp eyes before disappear.