Chapter Five

December 25th

 

Today is the day.

Kyungsoo was panting really hard. He clenched his teeth he couldn’t even handle the pain on his chest. His doctor looked so worried. Her mom was outside, crying loudly and praying for his safety. But Kyungsoo knew it wouldn’t work for him. All of these stuff; the oxygen mask, the infusion, the medicines. It wouldn’t help him.

I’m gonna die.

He looked around, searching for Kai.

Ah, there he is.

Kyungsoo smiled.

 

***

 

Kai walked slowly towards the dying Kyungsoo, a pocket watch on his right hand.

2 minute more.

He lifted his hand, placing it in front of Kyungsoo’s pale face.

A minute more.

He touched Kyungsoo’s forehed with his index finger.

Kyungsoo could see the light came from Kai’s finger. He felt like floating, his breath became lighter, and his eyes felt so heavy.

Now.

Kyungsoo’s heartbeat was about to stop. The boy closed his eyes, ready to face his death.

"Doc, his heartbeat!" The nurse yelled in panic.

"Oh, no. We will lose him..."

The heartbeat line on the monitor turned into a flat one.

"No, Kyungsoo! Don't leave me, Dear!"

Kai closed his eyes.

“I can’t do this.”

 

***

 

Blink.

“Kyungsoo, you’re alive!”

Kyungsoo opened his eyes slowly. What the…?

He found himself lied on the hospital bed with his mom hugged him tightly.

“Thank God you’re alive… God, my son, my dear son!”

I don’t understand this.

“Mom, I’m still alive…?” he whispered.

“Of course, Son, of course! The doctor said it was so amazing that you could pass your critical period.” His mom said with a line of tears on her cheeks. “You’ll recover really soon, Dear. And we will come home together!”

Kyungsoo suddenly got up. “Wait. Where is Kai?”

His mom looked confused. “Kai? I don’t know, I haven’t seen him today…”

What. The. Hell.

Kyungsoo hurriedly took of the infusion on his arm and ran outside.

“Kyungsoo, where are you going?! Come back here!”

But Kyungsoo didn’t care. He kept running with his eyes looking around, searching for the black cat, or the human form of Kai. But he couldn’t find him.

Just what the hell was in his mind last night?! That stupid death god!

Kyungsoo stopped in the hospital backyard as he felt he almost lost his breathe. Tiring, he fell down to the ground, panting.

And for now, he started crying.

“Stupid… why are you so stupid…? Why did you do such a thing…?”

Behind him, it was his mother ran towards him “Kyungsoo!” she called his name. She then squatted beside the crying boy. “What’s wrong, Dear…?”

“Kai… Kai…”

His mom didn’t understand why his son cried for the cat, but she still placed her arms around the boy’s shoulder. “Ssh… Kai will be fine, I believe it… now, stop crying, okay? I’ll buy you a cat if you want it.” said his mother with a reassuring voice. But tears kept rolling down Kyungsoo’s cheeks.

I lost him, Mom. The man I love the most, I lost him already.

 

***

 

“Are you ready for your punishment?”

Kai looked at the tall, blonde guy beside him. He sighed and turned his gaze to Suho who stood behind them. “Wait up, Kris.”

He then walked towards Suho. He leaned down, whispering something on Suho’s ear.

“Kai.” Kris called him.

“I’m coming.” Kai said. Before he moved away, he smiled at Suho and said, “Don’t forget to tell him, Suho,”

Suho nodded. “Don’t worry.”

And then Kai and Kris disappeared from Suho’s sight.

 

***

 

Kyungsoo was going home today. It’s been a long time since the last time he saw his home.

“Welcome home, Dear,” his mom said.

The boy walked inside the house, throwing his gaze around. This place was still the same, and he realized that he missed his home a lot.

“I’ll go to my room, Mom.” Kyungsoo said.

“Of course. If you need me I’m in the kitchen, okay? I’ll make a dinner for us.”

Kyungsoo nodded before walking towards his room on the second floor.

How long I haven’t been home? It feels like ages.

He smiled as he saw his room door. Slowly, he opened it.

“You must be Do Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo froze.

“Am I going to die?”

“No, I’ve come to deliver the message from Kai. But before I tell it to you, let me introduce myself. My name is Suho, a death god.”

“Ah… I’m Do Kyungsoo.”

“You don’t have to introduce yourself.”

“Are all of the death gods annoying like this?”

Suho laughed. “Do you want to know his message?”

“You don’t have to ask.”

“Well… he got his punishment already, but before it he told me to tell it to you…” Suho took a deep breath, “… that he loves you so much and he promises you he will come back for you. Just remember the 25th of December.”

 

***

 

7 years later, December, 25th.

 

Kyungsoo walked alone towards the park tonight. His mind was full of thought.

Nothing had happened in these seven years. I live my life as usual. I decided to continue my college, I graduated four years ago, and now I work at some publisher.

And Kai never come back to me.

Did he lie? Or he can’t come back because of his punishment? I don’t know. I don’t know whether I have to wait for him or not. But, hell, I miss him a lot.

And today is Christmas, where the hell are you, you stupid death god?

Kyungsoo took his seat on the park bench. The snow started falling, but he didn’t care.

White Christmas, how ironic.

His mom sent him a message, asking where he was, but he ignored it. He wanted to spend this night just alone with his thought. So here he was, sitting alone with tears rolling down his cheeks.

I miss you, Kai. I really miss you.

“Are you crying?”

Kyungsoo lifted his head hearing the voice he really knew. He lifted his head.

Here he is.

“Hello again, Do Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo's eyes opened wider as he saw the man he loved the most was standing in front of him, looking at him with his annoying yet adorable smile.

He really is back. My beloved death god.

Kyungsoo got up, rushing into Kai’s warm embrace.

“Stop calling me with my full name, you stupid old man.”

“Well, yeah. I know you missed me a lot.”

Kyungsoo hissed. “Can I hit you?”

Kai chuckled. “No.” he leaned down, brushing his lips on Kyungsoo’s. “You can kiss me.”