Music connects

I'll be your lover tomorrow

Sari was already waiting in front of my door, his hair still a little bit wet. He had a black bag with him. “What’s that?”, I asked and got out the keychain. “What took you so long?”, he replied and got up from the ground. “I’m a girl. What is it?” “My guitar”, he answered and entered Isa’s and my room. “What do you need it for?” He snorted: “I’m going to use it as a blanket. Isn’t that what you usually do with things like that?” I chuckled: “Of course! All the time!” He smiled brightly. “No, seriously, why did you bring your guitar?”, I asked again. He took out the instrument out of the bag and sat down on a chair. He leaned over the brown guitar and tuned the strings. “I thought that maybe you’d be a little musical and that in that case I could teach you a song…!” I was a little surprised. “Err…well, I can’t play the guitar”, I said carefully. He looked up from the guitar: “That’s why I’m going to teach you!” I grabbed a chair and sat down next to him. “Okay, what song then?”, I asked. “Not so fast! I need to know how much you know about music firstly!”, he smiled, “Sooo…do you play an instrument?” “I play the piano”, I answered. I had a lot to do with music. I liked to sing, played the piano and the bassoon, but I didn’t mention it because I wasn’t sure whether Sari knew what that was. “You know chordals then, don’t you?”, he asked. I rolled with my eyes: “Yeah, of course I do!” He smiled about my temper and explained: “Well sorry, but I know exactly nothing about you. We’re like strangers, remember?” He was right. I knew nothing about his life or family. I didn’t even know anything about him or what he was interested in. I didn’t even know whether he had a girlfriend or not. Still, though, I felt connected to him in a strange kind of way. I spent more time with him than my best friend!

“Can we start?”, I asked and he nodded. “Okay, it’s the song I’m always going to think of when I think of how we met…”, he began. “Count on me?”, I interrupted him. He smiled: “Yes, that’s right. It’s basic key is C major. That’s the chord it starts with, okay?” “Okay!”, I answered and smirked. He played the chord twice and then handed me the guitar. He showed me how to hold it correctly and put my fingers in their right places. “Now use the nails of your right hand and over the keys”, he requested me to do. I carefully and then a little harder. He stood behind me and leaned over me to correct my fingers. “Okay! That looks great!”, he said happily. “Now, let’s try the next one! It’s still easy, you just move your third and fourth finger here…”, he put them in their right place, “and you take your thumb off the last string. Yes, that’s right! Now play it again!” I laughed. He seemed so happy that I was able to follow his instructions.

Time flew by and soon it was already five o’clock. I was able to play half of the song know, although Sari had to change some of the chords because I hadn’t been able to play them. I gave him back the guitar. “Okay, now I’m going to play and you will sing”, he suggested and played the first chord. I giggled: “Okay!” He played the chord again and I sang. Luckily, I knew the lyrics by heart and we didn’t have to stop once. I leaned against his shoulder and closed my eyes. I could feel his strong arm move softly over the strings and hear the silent sound of him exhaling.

When the song was over, somebody suddenly started to clap. Confused, I opened my eyes and lifted my head from Sari’s shoulder. Key and Isa were standing in front of the door. “Wow, that was really nice!”, Key said amazed. I blushed a little smiled back at Sari, who had turned his head to look into my eyes. “You have a very beautiful voice”, he said. I blushed even more and mumbled “thanks”, then I got up and hugged Isa. “Hey Isa! How was shopping in those shoes?”, I asked and giggled. She laughed: “You’ve already teased me because of that, don’t you remember? But it was awesome!”, she said and then whispered in my ear: “I’m going to tell you later!” Sari got up and put the guitar back into the bag. “I’m going to go now!”, he said. I hugged him tightly. “Thank you! I had a lot of fun today!”, I said. “Yes, me too!”, he answered and left together with Key. As soon as the door was closed, Isa asked me: “So, are you like boyfriend and girlfriend now?” I laughed: “Now, we’re not. He’s so much older than me!” She nodded: “Oh, ok…” “Now tell me, what did you two do?”, I changed the topic. “Oh, it was so awesome, you wouldn’t believe it!”, she answered and pushed me on the bed. “Okay, so there we were, going from shop to shop. We both felt so stupid after a little while because we already had tons of shopping bags after few shops. Then, we decided to lock away the bags  and just walk around a little bit, because Key hadn’t had time to visit the city before. Then, a crazy little girl ran towards us and hugged Key. She screamed a lot and took thousands of photos. She was very scary because she didn’t stop staring at me like I was an odd lady taking away her idol. We didn’t get a lot of free time for ourselves because a lot of girls kept running after Key and just wouldn’t stop fangirling. It got better when Key put on my sunglasses, though. After a while, we came to London Eye and of course, we wanted to go up, but we would have had to wait in the queue for over two hours. But we were so lucky! I still can’t really believe how lucky we were!” “What happened?”, I asked curiously. “Well, we bought ourselves something to eat, crêpes, and leaned against one of the pillars of the big wheel. We were really sad, but then, a man and his girlfriend appeared. The man looked really angry and asked us whether we wanted to buy two tickets for the London Eye. They didn’t need them anymore, because his girlfriend had suddenly realised that she was afraid of heights.” “Wow! What a piece of luck!”, I gaped, “What a stupid girlfriend!” Isa laughed: “That was the first thing I thought, too! Of course, we bought the tickets. Well, I mean, Key bought the tickets, he didn’t want me to pay by myself. Isn’t that nice? Key is so cool…anyway, we went up and everything was so beautiful! We stood side by side and suddenly, he took my hand--hey, don’t look at me like that!” I laughed: “Sorry, I just was a little surprised! Go on, what happened next?” She sighed: “Not much, he just told me he liked me very much and after another 15 minutes, we were on the ground again…” “Aaaand…?”, I said. “What, aaaand?”, Isa replied. “What did you answer?” “Well, he already knew I was a big fan, so I just smiled and hugged him.” I raised my left eyebrow. “You seriously didn’t answer?”, I asked in disbelief. “No.” I sighed: “You’re strange!” If I’d been 17, Sari would have been only three years older than me, and maybe I would have had a chance to be together with him. “Judith, I got all I wanted. I wanted Key to be only mine, remember? We were holding hands, laughing together, spending our time together. For that one moment, he was all mine and now I know Key much better. He is going to leave in few days anyhow.” “You’re still strange!”, I said and smiled. She hit me with a pillow. “What did you just say?!”, she said threateningly. “You’re strange?” She hit me again: “What was that?!” I laughed and hit her back: “You’re so strange. And odd.” “It’s the same you idiot!”, she answered and laughed, too.

“You know, I think I’ve done the most stupid thing ever!”, Isa said exhaustedly and lay down on the bed, “I mean-this is what I always wanted, right?” I sighed: “A pillow fight?” “Nooo!”, she laughed and turned round so she could face me. “Well, maybe you’ve just noticed that what you always wanted isn’t what you now consider best”, I said. “You’re not still talking about those pillows, are you?”, she asked and smiled. I smirked: “No, well, but I’m just saying. If you always want what you always wanted, you’ll always get what you’ve always got!”, I said. “Where have you got that from?”, Isa asked. “Internet.” “Well you should just forget that crap again”, she said and chuckled, “because it’s not really fitting this situation.” “You’re right, I just wanted to say something clever though”, I answered and laughed.  “Well, I’ve always known that clever and you doesn’t really fit…”, she replied and I threw another pillow at her.