8

Dazzle and Shine

Whether by coincidence or not, Minho had caught wind of Club MVP's monthly event-- a masquerade, this time.

Despite how drunk he'd been last time, he hadn't nearly forgotten about the cute server that worked there, and decided that, if opportunity was knocking, he was definitely opening that door.  He dialed Jonghyun and spun idly in his chair as he listened to the ringing, followed by the pickup.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Hyung."

"Neh?"

"That club is having some sort of monthly event tonight; I think it's a masquerade thing.  I thought it sounded fun.  You wanna go?"  He could almost hear Jonghyun's shrug.

"Sure," the older replied easily.  "It's the weekend, anyway.  Might as well."

"Excellent, I'll see you after work."  Minho hung up the phone, smiling as he finished the last details of the day's work.

 

 

Club MVP was packed to the gills.  It was a wonder the building wasn't physically bloating as patrons struggled to find seats in the glitzy, colorfully decorated main room.  Minho and Jonghyun probably took a few bruises as they jostled their way to the last two seats next to the main stage, where the first rotation of dancers had already begun.

"Guh!"  Jonghyun exclaimed as he plopped into the plush chair.  He wiggled and sunk lower into the chair, groaning.  "These chairs feel pretty damn nice after sitting in my office chair all day."

"Neh," Minho replied distractedly.  An elbow then caught him in the back of his head, causing him to hiss as his teeth rattled.  "But this crowd is ridiculous!"  He scanned the crowd, looking for Taemin, but it was hard to tell who was who, since the staff were all wearing masks.

The music continued blaring unabated as the first three dancers exited the main stage and the next three replaced them, easily falling into rhythm with the music.  The din from the patrons only grew.

Key undulated silkily against the front-center pole, resplendent in long, black gloves, a belly jewel; snug, black satin hot pants and an elaborate gold mask with magenta accents that matched the streaks in his hair perfectly.  He'd rubbed his skin down in a shimmery lotion that illuminated him ethereally in the bright stage lights.

 

Though he could see no part of the dancer's face but the pink, cupid's-bow lips, Jonghyun was completely entranced.

Who was that?

As the song set finished, Key twirled gracefully on his pole and ended so he was leaning away from it with his hand wrapped around.  His other hand floated gracefully in front of his face and dramatically removed the mask, revealing his elaborately made-up eyes that he batted at the crowd with a genial smile.

Jonghyun was utterly floored.

"Welcome back, gentlemen, what can I get you to drink tonight?"

Both Jonghyun's and Minho's heads whirled around at the voice, but for different reasons.  Jonghyun had been startled out of his reverie of the cat that was exiting the stage, whereas Minho recognized the voice almost immediately.  It was by dumb luck that they happened to be seated in Taemin's section that night, and the willowy server stood before them now in his usual black uniform and a purple and gold mask.

"It's you," Minho nearly exclaimed.  "Anyonghaseo."

"Anyonghaseo," Taemin greeted back with a short bow.  "Now what can I get you to drink?"  

"Can you tell me your name?"  Minho asked, not even hearing the question.

"Sir," Taemin sighed, tapping his pen impatiently on his little notepad, "can you please just give me your order?"

 

Key, having already grabbed a quick drink of water when he got offstage, silently observed the situation that was taking place with his roomate through slitted, suspicious eyes.

Keen as he was, he could tell that Taemin was getting exasperated about something-- no doubt the men at the table he was serving.

 

"Fine," Minho grumbled reluctantly.  "I'll take a bottle of Kirin."

"Thank you," Taemin replied, a tad icily.  He then turned his attention to Jonghyun.  "And for you, sir?"  

They both looked at Jonghyun, who was staring at someone in the crowd and quite literally drooling.  Minho gave him a rough nudge.

"Huh?  Wha?"  He looked at both of them for a moment, then used his sleeve to wipe the corner of his mouth.  "What's going on?"

Minho shook his head, rubbing at his temples.  "He wants your drink order, hyung," he said with an edge of impatience.

"Oh, oh, uhh... TyKu and a shotglass, please."

Taemin nodded silently as he scraped the order onto the pad, then left the table with a slightly stiff gait.

"What was up with you?"  Minho asked Jonghyun, batting his shoulder with his own when the waiter left.

"Did you see the guy that was just onstage?"  Jonghyun asked incredulously, as though he couldn't believe that Minho hadn't been dazzled Key, as well.

"Oh, uh... he was pretty good," Minho said, nodding a little.

"Psshhh!"  Jonghyun scoffed.  "'Pretty good'?  Tch."

 

It was a little while later when Taemin finally re-emerged with their drinks, the order taking longer due to the large crowd.  He set the drinks down and repositioned the tray on his arm.  "Enjoy, gentlemen."

"Wait!"  Minho piped up, causing the waiter to turn around.  It was a good thing he couldn't see the eyes that were lasering him with disdain.  "You never told me your name."

"No one said I had to," Taemin shrugged.  He turned to leave, but Minho had grabbed his wrist.  Not harshly, but firmly enough that it startled Taemin.

"Kajima."

Right then, a small, pale hand clamped over Minho's with far more strength than should have been possible from such a fine-boned hand.

"He can go if he wants to," Key said.  His voice was even, but his tone held a very serious note of warning.  Even when Minho released his grip, Key didn't relinquish his.  He wasn't wearing his mask, so the unbridled, yet quiet, white-hot heat of his eyes hit Minho full force.  "Back.  Off."

Minho gulped hard as his his hand was released, and he quickly retracted it protectively to his chest.  He could still feel the deceptively iron grip sinking into his flesh.  "I... I didn't mean any harm."

"Maybe not," Key growled lowly, "but harm will befall you if you if you try that again."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Jonghyun intecepted, both hands up in a show of peace.  "Let's all calm down, here.  I can assure you Minho wasn't trying to do anything untoward."

"It sure as hell didn't look that way," Key glowered at Jonghyun.

"Look..."  Jonghyun spoke in a soothing tone, attempting to diffuse the situation.  Unfortunately, he was also operating on the agenda of picking up the feisty dancer.  "I promise my friend, here, didn't mean anything by it.  But you're too y to be getting het up about one frog-like patron; the scowl doesn't suit you.   How about you cool down and have a drink with me?"

Before Key could unleash a quiet, yet deadly torrent onto Jonghyun, two bouncers had materialized.  They stood large and imposing before the group, ready to take action.

"Something the matter, here?"  Sangchu asked, arms flexing menacingly as he crossed them over his chest.  He eyed Minho and Jonghyun with unmistakeable malice.

"Aniyo," Key said, straightening up.  He looked pointedly at Minho, the stalker, and Jonghyun, the pick-up artist.  "These two were just, apparently, unaware of the rules of conduct here."  He eyed the two with very readable purpose.  "They're quite aware now.  Everything is fine."

Sangchu's eyes narrowed as they the two men at the table.  He flexed his impressive muscles meaningfully as he nodded at Key.  "Alright, then.  Let us know if there are anymore... problems."  And with that, he sauntered away.

Key said nothing more as he whisked Taemin from their table, but both Minho and Jonghyun knew that there would be no more engaging the dangerous pair tonight.

 

 

 


** A/N:

I know, I know... unnie has been AWOL (absent without leave) for quite awhile. >.<;;   I ask you all to forgive me, as the life of a nearly-thirty-year-old-with-a-boyfriend-that-has-a-kid is more demanding than you can possibly imagine.  I'm going to be a bit sparse for awhile, but I hope you will bear with me.

Well, now we have the seed planted for our JongKey relationship.  Hehehehe, these two have a lot in store for them! XD

For those of you underage that may or may not have started following me on tumblr, I apologize if I have corrupted or warped you with the things I post.  I've finally decided to stop hiding who I am, and I hope the things I post have not gotten you into trouble. >.<;;  But, if they have, I claim no responsibility!  I am who I am, and I will not hide it any longer.

Thank you for all the love and bringing me above 700 subbiez!  You have NO idea how happy I was to have achieved that!  I normally post chapters to celebrate every hundred mark, but I have been quite occupied.

Also, for those of you that don't know who Sangchu is, I recommend you watch the latter parts of Let's Go Dream Team, Season 2.

Anywho, thank you all so much!  I'll be seeing you soon; don't forget to comment and subscribe! **