2

Dazzle and Shine

Warm...

Soft...

Those were the only words registering in Taemin's brain.  He recoiled further under the blankets when he felt a hand settle on his forehead.  

He didn't want to wake up.  If he did, these pleasant sensations would go away-- he would wake to find himself back on the streets somewhere.

"Your fever broke.  That's good."

The words brought Taemin out of his semi-conscious state, and his eyes fluttered open.  Much to his surprise, the softness and warmth didn't evaporate, as he feared they would.  He turned his head toward the peculiar voice, which was laced with a faint Daegu accent.

"Anyong."  Key tilted his chin in acknowledgement.  "How are you feeling?"

"I..."  Taemin shifted a bit, whimpering as his stiff body protested.

"That'll go away once you start moving around again," Key gestured at Taemin's body.  "Unless you've been injured, that is."

Taemin settled back into a more comfortable position.  "I... I don't believe so," he said in a small, unsure voice.

"Good.  Now then... mind telling me how you fell so far from grace?"  Key arched a brow inquisitively.

Taemin's eyes squinted in confusion.  "I-I'm sorry?  I don't get what you mean."

"What I mean--" Key expelled a breath, faintly annoyed, "-- is, what's a rich kid like you doing in this part of town, passed out on the street?"

Taemin blinked and instinctively drew back.

 

What does this guy want?

Does he want money?  I don't have any...

Is he going to rob me?

Wait, that wouldn't make sense.  Why would he take care of me if he was a robber?

Or perhaps he's more of an extortionist; waiting for me to get better first so he can--

 

"Yah."

Taemin snapped back to reality.  He cleared his throat, the sound of it far more nervous than he wanted it to be.  "W-what makes you think I'm a rich kid?"

Key snorted, chuckling with amusement and a hint of arrogance.  "I think a better question would be, how would I not think you are?  It's a wonder you haven't been mugged already."

He folded his arms loosely across his chest and settled one hip onto the bed.  "You may be covered in filth, and your clothes showing some wear-and-tear, but it's still quite obvious to a keen eye.  The clothes you were wearing are all designer brands, for one.  Your coat, alone, probably costs several hundred-thousand won.

"Another thing..."  Key picked up Taemin's hand, next, turning it over and inspecting.  "Even with the dirt collecting under your fingernails, I can tell you get at least semi-regular manicures.  Your hands also have no callouses; I bet if I gave them a good scrubbing, your skin would be nearly pink underneath."

He tugged at one of Taemin's chestnut locks.  "You also have a very good hairdresser and your roots are barely growing out.  Aaaannnnd..."

Taemin squeaked and jerked his head away when Key's fingers parted his lips a bit.

"Just as I thought-- you have perfect teeth.  Looks like they've been professionally whitened within the last few months."

Taemin just stared in disbelief at this ridiculously observant man, cheeks burning a bit at how easily he'd been found out.  Mustering his courage (and trying to change topics), he asked, "Who are you, anyway?"

Key smiled a little as he introduced himself.  "Kim Kibum imnida, but you can call me Key.  And you are...?"

"Uh... Lee Taemin," the younger mumbled.

"Nice to meet you, Lee Taemin."  Key smiled at him, then went back to pressing, though he was a bit gentler this time.  "Now... you mind telling me what happened?"

Yes, I mind, Taemin thought.  I mind very much. 

Taemin was incredibly hesitant to tell this cat-faced guy anything, but his sense of decency scolded him, seeing as how Key had brought him into his home and cared for him.  He deserved a little bit of the truth.

"Uh, well," Taemin began shakily, "you're right about me being rich... or rather, that I come from a rich family.  My parents are rich-- I'm not.  They, uh... they kicked me out about a week ago..."

Key just grunted, nodding, and let the subject drop.  He didn't need to push.  He was savvy enough to read people, and he had a pretty good idea about the rest of the unspoken details.  But his connecting of the dots was interrupted by a groan from Taemin, who had suddenly doubled up in obvious pain.

"My-my stomach," he wailed, curling up even tighter.

Key moved swiftly to his side, brushing the hair out of Taemin's eyes.  "Those are probably hunger pains," he explained levelly.  "We need to get some food in you."

Taemin whimpered.  "It hurts!"

"Shhh, I know," Key soothed, rubbing the younger man's back.  "It'll pass shortly."

Key sat with Taemin until the pains subsided, uttered a few words of reassurance, then disappeared to the kitchen to make some food.  Taemin lay there in the soft bed and watched him go.

 

Just what kind of person was Key?

 

 

 


** A/N:

Yay, a quick update!  I hope this chapter won't look so short when it's posted. >.<"

Don't worry, you'll be finding out more about Taemin and Key as the story progresses.  Keep your on! ~.^

So, this is not the story that I was supposed to co-author, because the other author has been busy with real life (what's that?), but I've had the idea for this fic for quite some time.  I hope you'll all enjoy the ride. :)

Thank you all for reading, don't forget to subscribe and comment!  Narcotica out! **