5

Dazzle and Shine

 

Taemin secured a position as a drink server at Club MVP.

It had been scary and chaotic at first, what with learning the serving layout of the club, and all the superfluous attention he got for his cuteness.  Men and women vyed for his attention and fawned over him (and there were occasional, unwanted physical advances, but those people were dealt with by the bouncers).  There were times Taemin desperately wished he wasn't so "cute" anymore.

However, those wishes didn't last long when he realized it was that very cuteness which garnered him a lot of extra money in tips on already overpriced drinks.

By the end of his second week, he'd fallen comfortably into the swing of things.

 

It was also on the night of Taemin's second completed week that Minho and Jonghyun trailed a few steps behind a couple of their colleagues.

"What are we even doing here?"  Minho grumbled as the group aproached the building, the words Club MVP written in white-gold lights above cherrywood double-doors.

"Quit your wingeing," Jonghyun replied with a carefree smile, nudging his best friend.  "The company is paying for a social outing and didn't ask for specifics; you might as well enjoy it."

Minho just rolled his eyes and sulked, with crossed arms, as their little party entered the club.  Once they showed their ID's and got past the bouncer, a second set of doors was opened and they were all nearly knocked backwards by the loud music.  Their eyes adjusted to the dim-ish light as they were led to a centrally located table where they could see all three stages.

"Nice joint," Jonghyun commented, speaking loudly so he could be heard over the music.  Minho nodded, his large eyes taking in his surroundings.  Within minutes, a waiter was at their table to take their orders.

"Good evening, gentlemen," Taemin greeted with a smile.  He idly mused at how attractive this particular party was, and thanked all higher powers that his uniform -- a tight, black t-shirt with the club's name on the back, and tight black pants that had horizontal rips up the front and back of the legs -- was far more modest than he'd expected when he first started the job, though the rips in the pants still made him blush sometimes with how high they went.  "What can I get you to drink?"

"I'll have a gin and tonic," one person ordered.

"A bottle of soju and a shotglass," requested the other.

"A bottle of Kirin," Jonghyun said, closing the drink menu. 

Taemin nodded, smiling, as he jotted down the orders.  He then turned his attention to Minho.  "And for you, sir?"

Minho blinked once, too awestruck to say anything.  His tongue felt thick in his mouth.  He wasn't even aware that he was just staring until he felt Jonghyun nudge him.  Trance broken, he turned his attention back to the drink menu, but nothing was registering.  "Um... uh..."

"He'll have what I'm having," Jonghyun interjected, sparing them all a little embarrassment.

"Alrighty," Taemin nodded, scribbling the order down.  "I'll be right back with your drinks."

As soon as he was gone, Jonghyun elbowed Minho in the ribs.  "Dude, what the hell was that all about?"

"Huh?"  Minho snapped out of the trance (induced by watching the waiter's as he walked away), then cleared his throat and sat up straight, avoiding eye contact.  "I don't know what you're talking about."

Jonghyun sputtered and laughed.  "Oh, please!  I'm surprised the guy didn't slip in the puddle of drool you left at his feet."

"Tch!"  Minho crossed his arms, shaking his head and all-but pouting.  "Whatever."

The other two colleagues in their party exchanged smug grins, having just observed Minho's instant infatuation, as well.  It was very amusing to watch.  But any dim chance Minho might've had to succeed in his denial was shattered when Taemin arrived with their drinks a few minutes later.

"Ok, that's one gin and tonic, a bottle of soju with a shotglass, and two Kirins," he trilled, setting each item in front of the appropriate person.

"Kumapsumnida," three of them replied distractedly, eyes focused on Minho, who still couldn't find his tongue.  He went back to staring wistfully, his large eyes scanning every inch of their server.

"You're welcome, gentlemen.  Enjoy your drinks."

 

An hour and a half later, Minho was finishing his third drink.  Even his dark olive complexion couldn't hide the rosy flush in his cheeks, brought on by the alcohol.  

Jonghyun side-eyed him, still nursing his second beer.  He was a slow drinker, and so was Minho, usually, but Jonghyun didn't bother to stop him or slow him down.  He knew what was going on, and didn't want to interfere with Cupid's alcohol-induced arrow-- it was fun to watch.

"Excuse me, waiter?"  Minho called when Taemin was in their vicinity again, raising his hand to get the cute server's attention.

Taemin sighed as he set down the drinks at another table, then made his way over.  This guy appeared to be a raging alcoholic, but whad did he care when he was being tipped so well?  He pulled out his little pad and retrieved the pen from behind his ear.  "What can I get you this time, sir?"  

"Umm... I'll have a rrrum and Coke," Minho slurred.

Taemin nodded in his usual way.  Scribble, scribble.  "Arasso.  I'll be right back with that."

Jonghyun just snickered to himself, shaking his head.

 

Two hours and four more drinks later, Jonghyun and another member of their party supported a very drunk Minho between them as they left the club.  

The good thing about Minho was that he wasn't a belligerent drunk.  Sure, he slurred when he spoke and would nod off, and he was currently unable to walk on his own without risking injury, but he didn't get loud or make an of himself.  He was even cooperative when they decided it was time to leave.

"You sure you two are gonna be ok?"  The colleage that helped support Minho asked.

"Yeah, it's cool.  I got him."  Jonghyun waved his hand at the man.  "Get yourself home, I can handle this."

The other man nodded as he helped stuff Minho into Jonghyun's car, then went his own way.  Jonghyun got behind the wheel -- safe to drive, seeing as he only had two beers the whole night -- and pulled out onto the dark streets of the city.

 

Minho had never actually conjured the nerve to talk to the cute waiter beyond ordering his drinks, but it wasn't all for naught...

Because Taemin remembered his face.

 

 

 



 

** A/N:

Yes, I know it took me a long time to update, and I apologize for that.  My life has been craaaazy busy!  And it's a little late to mention this, but I hope you all had a great Christmas (or whatever) and new year. ^^  Keep those resolutions!

I would write more, but it's very late and I'm very tired.  I hope you all enjoyed!

Don't forget to comment and tell your friends!  **