17.

Dazzle and Shine

Taemin and Minho sat across from each other in a dimly lit restaurant, the glow from the jar candle on the table bathing their faces in most flattering light.  Faint piano music and the soft chatter of other customers contributed to a quiet, romantic ambiance.  They smiled at each other and shared light conversation between bites of food and sips of alcohol that went down smooth as satin, and tasted every bit as pricey as it was.  At some point, when the comfort level reached its peak, Minho carefully broached a topic he'd long been curious about.

"You know, Taemin-ah," he said gently.  His fingers laced together under his chin, his head tilted attentively as he smiled softly at the other.  He blinked slowly, dreamily, so that the eye contact wasn't too direct and intimidating.  The deep timbre of his voice was pleasant, unthreatening.  Soothing, like balm.  "I've been wondering: how, perchance, did you come into the line of work you're in?  You don't have to answer, if I'm being to invasive," he quickly followed up.  "It's just... there's something about you.  Your mannerisms.  How you carry yourself.  It's very... dignified, I suppose.  

"Don't misunderstand me; there's nothing wrong with the life you have now, and no shame in it.  All I'm saying is, everything about you says you come from a more... privileged life."  His voice softened even more.  "One with less hardships."

Taemin made a sound, something between a huff and a laugh.  He averted his eyes and smiled ruefully, instantly remembering the way Key had, in a different fashion, picked out the same things about him.  Despite everything he'd been through on the streets, it was, apparently, still obvious.  He was not currently living a life in which he thought he belonged.  He was not where he was, for all intents and purposes, "meant" to be.  He slowly lifted his head, meeting Minho's eyes.  It was as good a time as any to come clean.  "You're right, Minho."  Taemin took a sip from his glass, felt the pleasant burn, set it down.  "This is nowhere near where I came from, and it's certainly not where I ever expected to be."

Minho nodded thoughtfully.  He kept the same quiet, balmy tone as he inquired, "So... care to share how it came to be?"

Taemin was a step ahead of him.  "I'll give you the paraphrased version I gave Key-ssi.  My parents are very affluent.  My appa is a partner in a very reputable law firm, and my umma is a professor at a top university."  Wow.  If nothing else, the spirits they were drinking were certainly loosening his tongue, making him feel more honest and confident.  "Both of them are very traditional.  I'm... well, I didn't turn out as they had expected.  I... I like men.  I was in college, and... um... I met someone like me.  We started seeing each other on the sly.  One day, we're on a date, and he kissed me."  Taemin sat back, and it was clear he was momentarily relishing the memory of the feeling, then the hurt, the way he closed his eyes for a couple of seconds before coming back to the present.  "I can only surmise that we were seen by someone that knew my parents, who told them what they saw."  He took another sip of his drink, sighed.

"I... I don't lie, Minho-ssi, and I especially couldn't lie to my parents."  He looked so earnest.  "When my they confronted me about it, I... I didn't lie.  I told them it was true--that I'd kissed this boy, and... well, they weren't exactly accepting of it."  He looked down.  "They threw me out," he fessed quietly.  

Minho's eyes were shadowed with sympathy.  He looked sad and his voice was quiet as he picked up.  "You were alone..."

Taemin nodded, still not meeting Minho's eyes.  The alcohol was making him light-headed, and he felt more compelled to continue; even more than he had with Key.  "Yeh... I left with nothing but the clothes on my back.  I was only on the streets for about a week--nothing compared to most--but it was the worst time of my life.  I... I stole food."  Here, he looked genuinely ashamed.  "I've never stolen in my life, but I was so hungry.  Anyway, one night, I guess the cold and exhaustion got to me.  I--I passed out in front of Key-ssi's apartment building.  Next thing I know, I'm waking up in his bed, with him looming over me.  He saved my life.  I'm so, so thankful for Key-ssi."

Expertly hiding the shock and sorrow he felt, Minho nodded again.  "You really are lucky it was Kibum-ssi that found you; he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and a good heart."  

Taemin nodded enthusiastically.  "He does, on both accounts.  He's also very talented."

"Oh?" Minho's eyes widened.  "Not that I'm doubting, but, how so?"

"Oh!"  Taemin waved his arms.  "Kibum wants to become a designer.  Fashion.  I've seen his sketches, and, I gotta tell you, he's brilliant.  His clothing designs are amazing."

Minho was genuinely amazed.  "Jjinja?  Wow... good for him!"  He looked at Taemin now.  "But you, Taemin-ah..." He reached across, took Taemin's hands in his own.  "You're amazing and strong, too.  I feel like you drastically underestimate yourself."


Later, as Minho walked Taemin back to the apartment building, which wasn't far from the restaurant, Taemin found himself voicing a thought aloud.  "I can't help but notice that Kibum-ssi has been bluesy lately.  He seems... down."

"Uh, yeah, about that.  I gather that Jonghyun said some things that upset him."  Minho didn't elaborate on the subject, even when Taemin gave him an inquisitive look, and the rest of the walk was spent in pensive silence.

 

When they arrived in front of the apartment building, Minho gathered his nerve and carefully took both of Taemin's hands.  "I had a great time tonight," he said with utter sincerity.

Taemin smiled at him; a slow, dreamy smile that made Minho's stomach flutter.  "So did I, Minho-ssi.  Kumapsumnida."

And then there was that awkward moment, where no words were spoken.  Where both parties wanted to make their move, but didn't quite know how.  Ultimately, it was Minho that made the move, slowly leaning in and pausing to guage Taemin's reaction.  When he saw no nerves or resistance, he closed the gap, sweetly joining their lips.  Taemin's lips were like flowers just before autumn, sweet and earthy.  And warm.  So warm, so full.  The desire came in undertones, like he wanted more but was too shy to ask for it.  In Minho, Taemin could feel the want, so forward and brazen, but buried under a layer of reserve he was obviously throwing down for the sake of Taemin's comfort.  Mouths opened a little, allowing their breath to mingle, sweet and hot despite the cold winter air.  To complement his first move, it was Minho that pulled away first, kindly, albeit with reluctance.

"Goodnight, Taemin-ah," he breathed quietly against the younger's lips.  

"Goodnight, Minho-hyung," Taemin breathed back.  The breath of his words momentarily warmed Minho's lips.  The 'hyung' honorific sent the butterflies in Minho's stomach into a frenzy.  And, with that, they carefully pulled back, but Minho remained glued to the sidewalk until he saw Taemin safely inside.


When Taemin walked in the door, he shut it before leaning back on it, looking like a cat drenched in cream.  Key raised a brow.

"Good night?"  The elder inquired skeptically.

"Great night," Taemin corrected.

Key snorted.  "You know, Taemin, I'm glad you had a good night, but... you probably shouldn't see Minho anymore."

Taemin levelled a glance at his feline elder.  "Whyever not?"

"Because."  Key's eyes went back to his sketches, but there was a hard edge to them.  "Whatever he said to you, he probably doesn't mean it... he's just another patron, no matter how you slice it."

Taemin's back was immediately, uncharacteristically up.  "He isn't!"  Taemin yelled.  And, this time, whether from the alcohol or lingering pheromones, he wasn't embarrassed.  

Key blinked, startled, but maintained his stance.  "Look, Taemin-ah, I know he seems--"

"He doesn't 'seem,' Key, he is!"  Taemin used a foot to shove away from the door.

Key sighed.  "Sometimes they seem that way at first, but--"

"'But' nothing!"  Taemin's posture was squared, ready for battle.  "Look, just because you had a bad time of things with Jonghyun, does not mean it's the same with Minho-hyung!"  He started toward the bedroom to change, and stopped before going in.  He looked meaningfully, eyes narrowed, at Key.  "And, just so you know, Minho-hyung had a lot of good things to say about you, so chew on that as food for thought!"

Key could only blink as the bedroom door slammed with a resounding 'bang.'




 


** A/N:

Okay, I haven't quite been updating weekly, as I thought, but bear with me.  Life is crazy busy.  

Anywho, I hope you all enjoyed!  I'm very tired, so that's all I have for the author's note.  Peace out!  **