Chapter 19

True Love (You're Beautiful FanFic)

 

Haha. I am updating this chapter right before finals so that I can feel happy and you can too. :) Best of luck. Thank-you for the inspiring comments and all the love. :D I will make the final chapter excellent :p I promise. Now onwards with the drama! Please enjoy :)


Chapter 19

Hwang Tae-Kyung's Point of View

We reached a break of trees and behind the thick mass of wood, there was a petite clearing.

Mi Nyu dropped down and stood besides me. "It looks like you have to trust me now," she grinned.

I pursed my lips. "That didn't count," I said curtly and walked to the center of the field, inspecting and pretending the dirt was interesting.

Go Mi Nam's Point of View

I blinked several times and lazily rolled over. Jeremy was sound asleep and snoring lightly. Outside I heard the soft clinking of porcelain.

Shin-Woo must be up.

I carefully maneuvered out of the tent without disturbing Jeremy from his literally sweet dreams. I shut my eyes in reaction to the blazing sun as soon as I stepped outside. I stretched and yawned like an awesome tiger I am. A black bag in front of the small fire caught my eye and I reached into it to grab my mug. I continued to dig through the bag to find a bag of instant coffee powder and fished it out. The package was then torn open and dumped in my cup. Shin-Woo poured the steaming, hot water in my glass for me while I shot him a questioning glance.

He set the pot back on the stand and poured more water into it. He took a sip of his morning tea and gazed deeply into the fire. "I was afraid you might burn yourself since you're not fully awake yet," he explained.

"Tch. Who do you think I am? A minor burn won't bring me down," I grinned.

I raised the cup to my lips and drank the content and forgetting it was boiling. The scorching fluid made its way down my throat cauterizing my tissue as it went. I held my pain at bay by grasping my adam's apple. I quickly reverted to concentrating on breathing deeply.

"Mi Nam, are you okay?" Shin-Woo asked, turning his head and lightly patted my back.

"I am fine. I was just caught off guard. That's all."

He returned his gaze to the flames with an amused smile.

"So how is she?" I asked in a rough voice, struggling to dampen the remaining after a moment of silence.

He stared blankly at the flames. "I don't know."

"What? You don't know? What do you mean you don't know?"

Since when does Shin-Woo not know something?

He sighed and stared at me with sad, depressed, and gentle eyes. "She left with Tae-Kyung not too long ago."

"What? With Tae-Kyung alone? Why did you allow them to go?" I shouted.

My sister left with a fool when she's sick and injured!

"In what direction did they go?" I asked Shin-Woo frantically.

A small yawn was heard behind me. I turned around to see Sang-Hee stretching and rubbing her eyes. "What happened? Why are you yelling this early?"

She made her way to us and picked up her cup. She gestured to Shin-Woo that she wanted some tea as well.

"Good morning, Sang-Hee," I greeted before turning back to her brother, " Shin-Woo, tell me, which way did they go?"

"Who? Mi Nyu?" she asked.

"Yeah. According to Shin-Woo, she and Tae-Kyung left together early this morning," I narrowed my eyes.

"Oh! That's not good! What should we do?" Sang-Hee cried.

Shin-Woo opened his mouth to speak but the ringing of his phone interrupted him. He looked at the screen and immediately stood up and walked several feet away before answering.

"Good morning, Mother," I heard him say. "Is that so?" he paused. "Yes, Mother. We will come home soon then...No, it is not inconvenient for us. We can always go camping sometime in the future."

Shin-Woo hangs up and glances at us. "Mother wants us home because I have some business to attend to that concerns the preparation of the wedding."

"That's great. I'll go bring my sister back and probably a dead body. So did they go in that direction?" I asked again, impatiently.

Shin-Woo's lips pulled up into a small smile while his eyes reflected anguish. "You won't be able to find it. I'll go."

Curses. I can't think of an argument strong enough to counter act his.

I sighed in defeat. "I understand. I'll wake Jeremy up and start packing," I said.

"Awww. And we just got here!" complained Sang-Hee.

"We'll come back some other time," her brother assured her.

Shin-Woo walked towards the trees and sunlight.

Sometimes I don't understand him.

I sighed and turned towards my tent. "Jeremy! You sleeping punk! Wake up!"

Shin-Woo's Point of View

Flashback:

"You're shaking. I doubt it's from the cold," I softly said.

Mi Nyu's breathing rate increased. "Did something happened back there?" I gently asked as I carried her on my back through the drizzle.

"Ah...no. Nothing happened," she lied.

"I am sorry," I whispered.

"Huh? For what?" she asked.

I smiled lightly. "For intruding. It seemed I was unwanted back there."

She laughed. "Are you kidding? I am glad you came," she said sincerely.

Back to present:

Mi Nyu...

"Oh! Hyung-nim!" she cried with joy.

"What?" Tae-Kyung asked with annoyance.

She giggled and pointed to his shoulder. "Hyung-nim! There's a bug on you!"

Tae-Kyung froze, his eyes rigidly fixated on the pest that rested on his body. "Yah! Go Mi Nyu! What are you doing just standing there? Get it off me!" he called, his voice trembling.

"No! I don't want to touch it! Get if off yourself!" she shouted and smiled genuinely.

Tae-Kyung shut his eyes. "Are you defying me? Come here! I'll show you the dire consequences of rebelling against me!" He opened his eyes to show the small mischief glistening in them.

Mi Nyu began to back away, sensing the possible danger. He charged at her, pointing the shoulder with the insect at her. She fled from her attacker with a grin set on but her speed was limited as she experienced pain from her injury. Tae-Kyung caught up with her in no time and grabbed her hand. She lost her balance and was pulled into the arms of Tae-Kyung. Their eyes unexpectedly met and I noticed her eyes flickered away from his.

I stepped out from the shadows of the trees. Tae-Kyung saw me and released her.

She glanced up and followed Tae-Kyung's stare. "Shin-Woo Hyung.."

I wore a smile as I approached them. "Good morning, Mi Nyu. Tae-Kyung."

"Good morning, Shin-Woo Hyung. Why are you here?" she asked.

A cool breeze blew some tension away. "We're going home."

"Home? Now?"

I nodded. "A problem came up."

"What is the problem?" she asked.

I smiled warmly and intertwined my fingers through hers. "Don't worry about it. I promise to make the wedding perfect. Tae-Kyung's eyes focused on our hands and then connected with mine. I broke off the intensity. "Let's go," I said, pulling Mi Nyu with me.

Why am I acting this way? Jealousy? Maybe.

Mi Nyu's fingers slipped through mine and my hand returned to my side.

"Sorry. Shin-Woo Hyung," she said.

I turned around and bent down so that our faces were at the same level. I looked deeply into her eyes. She became uncomfortable and looked to the side. I ignored her reaction so that I can save myself from the hurt. "Silly, you don't have to apologize," I patted her head and pressed my lips together.

Jeremy ran at her, threatening her with a hug. "Mi Nyu! You came back! Where did you go? Are you still sick? Does your ankle still hurt? Do you need ice? I'll go get you some ice! How about something sweet to eat? I'll get you some too! Do you want me to carry you? I'll carry you!" I shielded her but it was unnecessary.

"Quit wasting time and finish what you started," Mi Nam pulled Jeremy by the collar and spun him around in the opposite direction of Mi Nyu.

"Tch! I was just worried about her!" Jeremy snapped.

Bags packed and in the car, we were ready to leave.

Hwang Tae-Kyung's Point of View

"Want some?" Jeremy asked and shoved a large bag of marshmallows to the passengers in the back.

"Thank-you, Jeremy,"Mi Nyu grinned at him.

"You're so cute! I just want to pinch you!" Jeremy cried. He dropped the bag and reached for Mi Nyu.

"Jeremy!" Mi Nam and I shouted.

He retracted his hands solemnly. He puckered his lips to form his infamous and undeniable puppy face.

"Don't even," Mi Nam said with his face focused on the road.

"Mi Nyu, can you chew any louder?" I asked, irritated.

"Hyung-nim, I am eating something soft. It doesn't even make a noise," she argued.

I glared at her. "It's making a squishy sound."

"Tae-Kyung, why don't you put those ear plugs back to use?" Go Mi Nam suggested.

I ignored him and closed my eyes.

"We're back," Mi Nam announced. I opened my eyes and realized my head was resting on Mi Nyu's. I jabbed her cheek and seconds later she woke up. She immediately focused her eyes on me and i scowled at her. "Get off of my shoulder. You're head is heavy," I said in a slow and threatening way.

"Sorry, Hyung-nim!" she promptly apologized.

We unloaded our packages from the cars and brought them up to the house.

I noticed Mi Nyu was not carrying anything. "Yah,Go Mi Nyu, why are you not helping bringing in our stuff?"

"Shin-Woo said to go in and greet Mother first," she said in a small, innocent voice.

"Oh so you want me to bring in your things? Those heavy luggage of yours?" I sarcastically questioned.

Shin-Woo stepped besides Mi Nyu and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Go in first. I'll carry in your bags," he said.

My scow tightened into a glare.

"Tae-Kyung," a woman's voice called from behind me. I turned around and dropped everything I gripped in my hands.

Mo Hwa-Ran!

She saw that I was stunned and struck dumb upon seeing her. She showed her egotistical smile. "Tae-Kyung, can we talk?" She gestured to her body guard to stay behind and started walking away.

I picked up the things I dropped and entrusted them to Mi Nyu. She held onto them speechlessly as she witnesses my departure with my mother.

We walked to the farthest part of the yard. I had my back facing her and I looked up at the sky with my hands in my pockets. "What are you doing here?" I asked after a few moments.

"It's been awhile, Tae-Kyung. Isn't fate, coincidence, or maybe destiny? For a little over six months I thought you really did abandoned me like I did to you. But here you are and here I am. How are you, son?" she attempted to make small talk.

I ignored her effort. "Why are you here?" I flatly said.

"That girl...It seems like you lost her? To who? Shin-Woo?" she slowly asked but already knows the answer. She smiled smugly.

I turned around and glared at her. "Tell me now. What is your business here?"

She stared back with the same intensity. "I got an invitation to the wedding."

Is this the distasteful person that was invited to provoke me? Most likely.

"So she's getting married to him. How did that happen? Didn't you announce to the world that she's your girl? Or was that a lie? A coverup? Or did you make the same mistake I did and misunderstood love?" She paused, enjoying the moment. "That love you spoke so convincingly is actually false?"

I exhaled in frustration. "Don't ever compare yourself to me," I spat. " Are you here to taunt me? Anger me? Because it's working."

She laughed, her eyes dancing with mischief. "I told you already. I am here for the wedding."

But why would Ms. Kang and Shin-Woo invite her? Surely she doesn't just serve the purpose of annoying me. What is the real reason?

"You...Do you have another motive of being here?" I asked.

She dropped her menacing and joyful act and replaced it with seriousness. "Yes."

I frowned. "And that is?"

"I wish to mend the broken bonds with that girl. I want to repent for my sins that I've committed against her," her eyes told me she was sincere.

I flinched at her abrupt change of tone.

Mend the broken bonds with her?

From the bottom of my heart, the realization sank in.

She isn't here to reconnect with her son but to repent for doing wrong against the man who never loved her.

"How?" my voice quivered.

Mo Hwa-Ran reached in her purse and pulled out a small velvet box. She delicately handed it to me.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's her father's ring," she answered.

I opened the box and exposed the ring. It was a woman's ring. An engagement ring. I stared at it in shock, fully understanding who this ring was meant for.

This ring...was meant for Go Mi Nyu's mother...

"Why is this in your possession?" I shouted. "What have you done?"

She never broke our eye-contact. "Tae-Kyung, you're not stupid. You really can't guess what I did?"

"Explain. How did this happen?" I ordered.

"On the evening Go Jae-Hyun was going to propose to Lee Su-Jin and present her the ring; I found out and invited him to eat dinner with me on the pretense of discussing a new song he was writing," she paused.

"He proudly showed me the ring when we sat down. Go Jae-Hyun excused himself to the bathroom. He left his phone on the table and it started to ring, a call from that woman. I picked it up and she called his name but before she could say anything else I told her that he's busy with me and hung up," she said solemnly and monotonously.

I listened to her story, horrified for guessing what she would do.

"I promptly deleted the record of the call from his phone and when he returned I acted like nothing happened. Over the course of dinner, he became impatient; obviously wanting to leave and meet up with Lee Su-Jin. I prolonged our meeting by asking him I could try on the ring. He resisted at first but I took it anyways and before I could wear it, his phone rang and he stood up and ran. It was a call from the hospital informing him that Lee Su-Jin was going through labor. He left the ring in my hands and chased after her," she said. "As you know, she died that night after giving the twins life.

My hands shook as I held the ring in my hands.

How could she do this? Is she human? A monster?

I slowly returned my gaze at her. She stood there miserable and ashamed of her past.

"What are you?" I whispered, horrified.

"Tae-Kyung...I know. I am selfish and senseless. Help me atone for my sins. You're the only one who can help me make amends to her," she grasped my hands in hers.

I shook her off. "How? Do you think she will ever forgive you? For doing this to her father behind his back and to her mother? Have you even considered how her mother felt when you pierced her heart with your words?" I yelled.

"No, I never believed Mi Nyu will ever forgive me. But still, I have to try. Tae-Kyung...I am really trying. Step by step to repent for my sins in the past," she said softly. "Tae-Kyung, I am sorry for putting this burden on you...but no matter how I imagine it...that girl will never fully forgive me even though she may say she does but I know. I know her heart rejects forgiving me. I know for sure that she will hold this unbearable grudge towards me if I was the one who returned it back to her. But if you give her the ring, there may be hope that she'll forgive me. So please. This is my last favor I will ask you. As my son, please give her this ring," she pleaded.

What a foolish and outrageous request!

I gritted my teeth and clasped the ring in my palms until the diamond pushed up against my skin, the pain is miniscule compared the pain of Mi Nyu's mother; my first lover's mother.

I saw her off to her car with her face hidden in shame. "Thank-you," she said before leaving. The ring in my pocket started to burn. I took a hot shower to alleviate my stress and to think thoroughly of the words she said. I dried my hair and the ring that laid on my bed gleamed at me. I took it in my hands.

My family and I have caused her so much pain. I am not worthy to be by her side and besides, this ring...has no place on her finger. And because of that should I be happy?

I left my room with the ring hidden in my pocket. Mi Nyu was standing in front of my door. She seemed embarrassed and quickly turned around. I caught her hand and was about to demand what she wanted. But I coughed violently and released her.

"Hyung-nim! Are you okay?" she asked me, her hands on my back and her faces inches away from mine.

"I fine," I shoved her away. She let me go and stared worryingly as I stumbled though the house. I sat down on a bench located on the rooftop and coughed again.

Must have gotten a cold from walking in the rain...

The sky was dark and I held the ring up to the bright moon. It glimmered and glistened in my hands.

I am sorry, Lee Su-Jin..for what my mother has done to you.

"Hyung-nim, please drink this," a voice originating from the darkness interrupted my thoughts. I quickly buried the ring in my pocket once again.

She stood in front of me and held an object to my face. "What is it?" I asked as I accepted the warm cup. She covered my shoulders with a heavy wool jacket and sat besides me.

"It's ginger-honey tea. It's suppose to stop your coughing," she grinned in the dark.

"Thank-you," I grunted.

"Hyung-nim...Why are you sitting out here by yourself in the dark?" she asked.

I drank the sweet tea and it eliminated the itchiness in my throat. "I felt like it," I simply said.

I felt her nod and we sat in silence. "Ask me," I said.

She was startled. "Yeah?"

"You're not going to ask what happened between my mother and me?"

"No," she replied right away.

I turned to try to make out her expression. "Why?"

"I don't want to force Hyung-nim to tell me something that upsets him," she said.

"Tch. You, force me?" I mumbled.

I set the empty cup down. I sighed, "Go Mi Nyu, she asked me to do something impossible again."

"Are you going to do it?" she asked.

I sighed. "I am still contemplating. The recipient will probably end up hating me."

"Ah, I see," she looked at me, "I think you should still do it for her. Since she is your mother."

"Even if I have to harm someone important to me in the process?" I asked sarcastically.

"Hyung-nim, do what you believe is right. At least you still have a mother that asks you to do favors," she lightly smiled.

Her words burned the insides of my heart.

'At least you still have a mother that asks you to do favors.'

"Don't say that. She's only my mother biologically. She was never a mother to me. You and I are the same type of people, growing up without a real mother," I said, anger building up.

"But people change and she must have a reason to be here. Maybe you should spend some time with her and start anew, as mother and son," Mi Nyu encouraged.

"It's easier said than done," I mumbled. There was a comfortable pause of silence for a couple of minutes. The moon shined nonchalantly as if the furious storm yesterday was nothing but a minor nightmare and a sweet dream. I squinted in the limited light to observe Mi Nyu. She was gazing up at the sky and I realized she was looking at the stars again.

"That star...that you're so proud of. Is it still there?" I asked, glancing blindly at the dark sky.

"Of course," she said happily, "I would be sad if it disappeared."

Am I still that star?

"You still care about it?"

"Hyung-nim, my star has been there for me without fail. It even followed me to Africa. It will always be within my sight," she replied.

I snickered. "Well, stop looking at it from now on," I sternly said.

She lowered her gaze. "Why?"

"Stop looking up at the sky and look in front of you. What you see is your star in person."

Mi Nyu stiffened.

"Shin-Woo would feel bad if you're always admiring it. You're engaged, so from now on, look solely at him otherwise he'll be jealous," I continued.

I am going to let you go to him. I am not good enough for you. I am always hurting you in some way. Perhaps going separate paths is better for the both of us.

"Jealous? Jealous of what?" Shin-Woo asked. I turned around. Shin-Woo was standing at the stairs. He climbed up the final step and walked towards us.

"Nothing. I was just giving her advice," I said.

"I see," he nodded, "It's kind of late. Both of you should go sleep."

"Why, Shin-Woo Hyung?"

"You wouldn't want bangs or dark circles under your eyes for the photo shoot tomorrow," he replied.

"What photo shoot?" I asked.

He smiled. "For the wedding. It was because of the photo shoot that we had to come home early today. There was an inconvenience so I had the appointment changed to tomorrow. So let's all get ready for bed then."

"Go Mi Nyu, go sleep. Shin-Woo, we need to talk," I said.

Mi Nyu obediently stood up after a moment of hesitation and bowed to both of us. "Good night, Hyung-nim. Good night, Shin-Woo Hyung."

Shin-Woo waited for her to walk back into the house before he approached me with his hands in his pockets. I stood up and set aside the jacket Mi Nyu had brought to me and leaned on the railing.

"So I am guessing you're actually going to marry her?" I asked, breaking the silence.

Shin-Woo leaned on the railing too and stared at the dark horizon. "Yes," he simply replied.

There was another pause. He turned his head. "Are you going to let me?" he asked.

I ignored his question and asked something far more important. "Do you love her?"

If he was shocked by my sudden question, he hid it well. He took a while to reply but in the end he repeated "Yes." He said it with overwhelming confidence and seriousness that I was convinced of his feelings for her. I kept a calm composure even though my heart pounded against my chest, raging at that fact.

We were quiet again. The only noise was the sound of crickets accompanied with a cool breeze.

"I've abused you for so long, haven't I?" I said.

Shin-Woo squinched in confusion, not sure where I was going. "You would always step down so that I would get what I wanted. I haven't even considered how you felt," I paused and made eye-contact with him. "Thanks for putting up for me after all these years."

"Tae-Kyung...what are you saying?" he asked, truly confused.

I snickered. "I am saying that in this fight, I'll be the one who steps down now."

"Tae-Kyung..." Shin-Woo was loss at words.

"So here," I reached grasped the ring in my palm, "give this to her. It's her mother's. Make her happy, please. That's all I am asking for."

I took his hand and placed it on the middle of his hand. I patted his back before walking away from him. "Tae-Kyung," he called after I took a few steps, "thank-you."

I didn't say anything or looked at him because I feared that my tears will expose me.

To fall out of love is to fall off the planet because the pain from the fall is so unearthly.

At the photography shop the next day...

"I want to stand next to Mi Nyu!" Jeremy demanded.

"Hell no, I am," Mi Nam denied.

The two immature children shoved each other around, fighting for the empty left spot beside Mi Nyu. I rolled my eyes and pushed them both away, ultimately wining the vacant slot. Mi Nyu stared up at me with nervous eyes. I pretended I didn't see them and posed for the picture. After the flash, I straightened my black suit and realigned my white flower on the side of the tuxedo to avoid looking the physical contact between Shin-Woo and her.

I excused myself and walked off the stage to the table that had cups of water. I gazed at Mi Nyu and Shin-Woo taking pictures together for their wedding. Mi Nyu was gorgeous. My mouth dried and I drowned it with water. I continued to look at them, flash after flash. Not long after, the head photographer stated that a picture needs to be taken of the bride and the best man.

Go Mi Nam smiled hugely as he stood next to Mi Nyu. "Sir, you're not the best man according to my records," the director said.

Mi Nam's mouth dropped. "What do you mean! Of course I am! I am her freaking brother!"

"Haha! That means I am the best man! Take that, Go Mi Nam!" Jeremy shouted with glee. He skipped joyfully to Mi Nyu and took her hands. "Hello," he sang.

"Sir, you're not the best man either," the director said.

"Go Mi Nam, Jeremy, sorry," apologized Shin-Woo, "But Tae-Kyung is."

One of the staff gave me a little push.

Why am I the best man?

Shin-Woo exited the stage and gestured to Jeremy and Go Mi Nam to do the same. I walked towards her, half dazed by her beauty, struggling with keeping a stern and emotionless face. She fidgeted a little, intimidated by my presence. I was careful to leave some space between us. The camera beeped and alerted us that a picture was taken. I was about to remove myself from the scene before the director requested, "Will the bride and the best man please link arms."

"Aish," I muttered, "Let's get over with this quick," I whispered. I glared at the camera and a flash blinded my eyes.

"Best man, can you smile and relax a little?" the director asked.

I had difficulty pulling up my lips and forming a smile but once the director was satisfied with the pictures he released me. While Jeremy and Go Mi Nam took turns taking pictures with Mi Nyu I sat down and observed them.

That's right...I am only the best man that isn't suitable for Mi Nyu... But I am going to be the best best man there ever was...That's the least I can do for her and Shin-Woo.


So I think i gave a hint on Tae-Kyung's mother's appearance in some previous chapter. I think the hint went like ' how is she related to me?' that was Tae-Kyung's thought...a play on words ^_^ she's his mother ahaha get it? :D So anyways smile, laugh, and be happy. I'll update again when my homework load goes down.. +_+

REVIEW/COMMENT/SUBSCRIBE!