Chapter Six

The Benefits of Curiosity

“Uh…hi, hyung?”

Yongguk swallowed, moving away swiftly in the hopes that his blushing cheeks wouldn’t be seen in the dim light from the television. “O-oh, Jello-ah... I didn’t see you there.”

Junhong didn’t look at all convinced. He brushed his hair off his forehead in a way that shouldn’t have been y, but it seemed the universe had decided to torture the older man in every way possible, and when Junhong’s long, pale fingers pushed his blond bangs back leaving a ‘just-ed’ style behind, Yongguk had to use all of his self-control to not push the boy down on the couch and have his way with him.

“Yongguk-hyung, did you kiss me?”

The leader choked on his saliva at the maknae’s blunt question, attempting to ignore the younger boy’s penetrating gaze. The maknae hadn’t even seemed nervous when he’d said it.

Wasn’t he supposed to be innocent?

Hadn’t he been asleep?

After a few awkward moments, Yongguk composed himself enough to speak even if he couldn’t exactly look at the boy while doing so.

“No, no, of course not,” he replied and laughed like it was the most ridiculous thing he’d ever heard. “Your mind must be in the gutter because of what the other four have been up to all night. I’ll speak to them tomorrow about polluting our precious Zelo,” he tried to play it off coolly. Yeah, blame it on the bastards in the other rooms who aren’t there to defend themselves. Good plan, Yongguk. He stood to leave the room quickly before Junhong could question him further. Unfortunately, the maknae was faster.

“I felt your lips on mine.” The challenge was clear in Junhong’s voice. Yongguk wanted to run away from that determination, away from that knowing tone, but his feet were glued to the floor. His heart hammered painfully.

“That was…uh…An accident! Yes, an accident!” Yongguk nodded his head proudly at his fast thinking.

“Really? That’s what you’re going with? You accidentally kissed me?”

The leader paused. Was that disappointment that he was hearing? His heart began beating even faster until he thought he might die of cardiac arrest. That could happen, right? He might have seen it in a cartoon once. Or was that a documentary? He’d have to ask Youngjae tomorrow. Or maybe he could look it up—

“Well?” Junhong’s question brought Yongguk racing mind crashing to a halt. The older man could almost see the carnage of their friendship lying in smoking heaps around them.

It seemed he wouldn’t be able to pretend this didn’t happen after all, but he would never, ever, admit to what he’d done. If he told the truth now, the maknae would think he was a erted old man and a liar.

“I fell.” That was partly true at least, he’d just left off the ‘for you’ from the end.

“What?”

“I tripped on the edge of the coffee table when I picked up the remote to turn off the television. When I fell, I landed-”

“On my mouth,” Junhong muttered. He didn’t look pleased at all. In fact, he seemed pissed off. Yongguk felt nauseous knowing that their lips touching for a split second was so abhorrent to the younger boy. The leader shuffled from foot to foot awkwardly, praying that the shattering of his heart couldn’t be heard by the object of his unwanted affection.

After a few moments of tense silence, Yongguk lifted his head and tried to smile. “I’m sorry, Jello-ah. I’ll try to be less clumsy from now on.”

Junhong scoffed, rubbing what Yongguk assumed were tears of frustration from his eyes flippantly. “Of course. You wouldn’t want to have any more accidents with baby maknae, Junhong, right?”

Yongguk had never heard the boy sound so angry before, but more than that, he’d never heard him sound so resigned. Yongguk didn’t understand, and his tired mind was not helping him figure the situation out. Junhong flopped back to the couch and burrowed his head in the cushions, his back facing Yongguk and his feet hanging off the edge. The leader hesitated in uncertainty, but he couldn’t just leave the boy looking so uncomfortable.

Trying to act normal, Yongguk grabbed Junhong’s leg and pulled playfully.

“Yah, Junhong-ah. Why are you sleeping out here?”

“ maniacs in my room,” was the brief, mumbled answer. Yongguk was barely able to make out the boy’s words muffled by the cushions. He nodded in understanding. He’d definitely have to have a talk with Himchan. At least Daehyun and Youngjae had the decency to keep it quiet ever since that time everyone had returned from the market and found the two going at it on the washing machine so loudly that, at first, Yongguk had worried they were being murdered.

“Come on then,” he nervously tugged the boy’s leg again until he was off the couch. Junhong glared up at Yongguk from the floor. Laughing, Yongguk held out a hand and helped Junhong to his feet, blushing fiercely when the younger boy landed against his chest. He took a step back and stared at the carpet, not able to meet Junhong’s large, curious brown eyes.

Yongguk knew in that instant that he was going to regret what he was about to do. He’d never thought of himself as a masochist but maybe he was. Why else would he put himself through such torture? It had to be done though. He was the leader, so he had to put the other’s well-being before his own. Besides, Himchan certainly wouldn’t be needing the space anymore, and Junhong needed somewhere to sleep. It only made sense.

“You can’t stay out here,” he paused, his mind begging him not to continue. Yongguk sighed and soldiered on, “I want you to start sleeping in my room.”