Chapter Fifteen: Bring It On

Behind This Mask

“Girls! The most fragrant word of all! Girls! Let me bring them to my world!”

-Girls, Wheesung

            Two lone couches sat with their corners touching in the center of a nearly all white room. Their plush cushions had lost their vibrant, deep gray color over time withering away to the distressed color of dust. But the couches weren’t the sole objects in the room; there was a white table by the door with a long row of hooks on the wall above it. Last but not least, but rather most essentially, a water dispenser was situated in the corner of the room. It’s stock of small paper cups were dwindling with every quenching use. Silence covered the few pieces of furniture in the room, draping over them like protective sheets covering the furniture of an unused room. The sound of a single, minute noise was absent from the room’s four walls—that was, until the door flew open with a bang and six pairs of feet shuffled nosily inside.

            Changhyun had been the one to fling open the door. He in a deep breath of air as if he had just remembered how to work his lungs and stumbled to one of the distressed sofas. He collapsed facedown on the cushion with a winded sig, mumbling something into it that he somehow expected everyone to understand.

            “What?” Chanhee chuckled. His exhaling was rough, as if he had just run a mile. He leaned over the back of the sofa and playfully gripped Changhyun’s black hair to pull the boy’s head up.

            “Ouch!” the younger boy yelped, picking up his head on his own. Despite being in distress, he chuckled. “I said, that was more recording than we’ve ever done before!”

            “I know,” Chanhee panted in reply, releasing Changhyun’s hair and immediately heading for the water dispenser in the corner. He poured himself a paper cup of room-temperature water. The vocalist wished the water siding down his throat had been chillier, but it was better than none at all. Swallowing deeply, he wondered if he would be able to talk at all tomorrow. His vocal chords felt exhausted of making any noise whatsoever after singing nonstop for nearly five hours. However, it was awfully rewarding being able to record Teen Top’s second full-length album, and if Chanhee had to be mute for a few days to ensure its success, then his lips were sealed.

            As Chanhee made his way over to the couch, downing his second cup of water, his mind still gushed with some of his personal favorites on the new album. He fell onto the couch and sunk deep in its cushions.

            “You did really well, Chanhee-ah,” remarked Byunghun with admiration. He flopped down on the couch beside his best friend. His blonde hair had been mostly tucked inside a slouchy black beanie, but stylist bits of slightly wavy fringe swept just above his sparkling, rainbow-shaped eyes.

            Chanhee chuckled as he planted a hand on Byunghun’s thigh. “Thanks, dear.” He batted his eyelashes playfully, causing Byunghun to laugh.

            “I’m so excited for this new album,” Daniel gushed loudly, throwing his gaunt arms in the air as he neared the couch. Unexpectedly, his voice gave an embarrassing crack, and Minsoo bellowed with deep laughter behind him before jokingly giving the boy a shove.

            “I’m excited I have more lines than ever!” Changhyun gushed back, smiling childishly.

            Last to stroll in the break room, strong arms singing coolly at his side and head held high with the utmost of confidence was Jonghyun. For the past few days, he had had the smuggest expression painted on his handsome face. He seemed to saunter rather than walk everywhere. “I don’t know about you guys, but I’m feeling pretty good after singing for so long,” he announced.

            “I feel tired,” Chanhee chuckled, crushing the paper cup in his hand.

            Jonghyun placed his hands on his hips. “I feel great. Especially after the last song.”

            “’How Could You’?” Byunghun spoke, recalling the title.

            “Yup,” Changhyun gave a forceful nod. “That one might be my favorite on the whole album.”

            “Not ‘Imagine’?” asked Daniel. “That’s our title song, and you’re the lead!”

            Defiantly, the youngest shook his head. “’How Could You’ has so much more emotion. Real, raw emotion. That song’s got some serious anger behind it, and I can relate to it the easiest.”

            Minsoo rolled his eyes. “Oh, please. I can relate to ‘Miss You,’ but that doesn’t mean it’s my favorite on the album.”

            “Because you miss your Hyerinnie?” Byunghun chuckled sweetly but teasingly.

            Minsoo pulled the beanie clear off the boy’s blonde head. “Yah, shut up. You’d miss your girlfriend too if you had to be away from her.”

            “I wouldn’t know,” Byunghun retorted almost sadly, insecurely reaching up to fix his exposed hair.

            “I like that song, hyung,” Changhyun spoke up, gazing up at Minsoo.

            Jonghyun crossed his arms. “I guess that’s a nice song. If you like that sappy romance .”

            “Ouch. Since when did you become all anti-romance?” Daniel giggled jokingly.

            Jonghyun shot him a hard look. “Since I got my heart ripped out of my chest by a ing like in ‘How Could You,’ that’s when.”

            Before Changhyun could vocalize a curt retaliation in defense, Chanhee clapped once. “Alright!” he exclaimed, taking a hold of the conversation and directing it away from a bumpy road. “So, who’s excited for the comeback? I know I can’t wait to start filming the music video.” He eyed Jonghyun carefully as he spoke, hoping the boy two-years his junior would calm down again.

            Daniel’s eyes lit up as he leaned forward, ready to share a tidbit of gossip. “I heard Andy-hyung talking in the office a few days ago, and he was talking about the music video. He said he wanted to get a girl to be in it!”

            “No way,” Chanhee was quick to respond, his interest peaking at the mention of the female species.

            Daniel nodded. “But that’s not the best part. I heard him mention something about it to being female trainee.”

            Chanhee released a gasp, fully engrossed in the gossip Daniel was fueling both his thoughts and his hormones with. “We don’t know any female trainees!”

            “Andy-hyung never lets us mingle with the female trainees especially,” Changhyun spoke up in aw.

            “Isn’t it annoying?” Jonghyun snorted. “I bet they’re all smoking hot. I bet Andy doesn’t want us near them because he’s afraid we’ll knock ‘em up up.”

            “Yah,” Minsoo snapped, giving the youngest a well-deserved punch in the bicep. “Do you even hear yourself right now? Have some manners and knock it off.”

            “Sorry,” Jonghyun muttered half-heartedly, giving his arm a rub.

            “It would probably be in our best interest and theirs if we don’t interact with them,” Chanhee reasoned, shaking his head sadly. “Even though I’m sure they’re all babes…”

            Changhyun smiled grandly. “But if what Daniel-hyung says is true, we might get to meet one!”

            “I hope so,” Jonghyun sputtered. “And if I’m going to be filming with her, she better be y as hell.”

            “Looks like someone’s moved on,” Byunghun murmured under his breath, just loud enough for Chanhee beside him to hear.

            “What?” snapped Jonghyun.

            “Nothing,” Byunghun insisted hastily.

            At that moment, the door to the break room swung open once more. In walked none other than Andy, dressed as casually as the boys were in dark denim jeans and an olive green v-neck, finished with stylish silver tags hanging in front of his strong chest. The clipboard in his hand and glasses perched on his nose indicated the man was all business, however. “Great job today, boys. I came in to hear how the recording was going, and you all sounded excellent.”

            “Thank you, Andy-hyung,” Minsoo responded with a deep, respectful bow. He quickly gestured for the other boys to follow. They all gave bows or deep head nods. Jonghyun’s was by far the weakest.

            “You’re welcome. Anyway, I’m sure you’re all tired after recording for so long today, so I’m sure you’ll be pleased to know that tonight’s choreography practice has been cancelled.”

            “How come?” Jonghyun asked. Truthfully, he had been looking forward to pounding out some dance moves for a few hours. It kept his mind as busy as his body, preventing it from wandering to places it probably shouldn’t wander anymore.

            Andy kept his gaze fixed on the clipboard. “The girls need to the studio tonight,” he said simply.

            Chanhee gasped. “So there are girls?”

            Andy sighed, removing his glasses. “Yes, there are girls. I’ve tried to keep this a secret, but I’ve been preparing to the release of a girl group.”

            Byunghun’s eyes widened with interest. Immediately, his gaze wandered to Minsoo’s direction. The two had vowed to keep their encounter a few days ago with the new girl group—and Min Neul—a secret. Byunghun could recall how he had hissed a question to Minsoo that he already knew the answer to—was that Min Neul? Minsoo had grabbed him, pulled him close, and commanded in a low whisper that neither was to speak of the encounter. It would have been detrimental if Jonghyun found out; he was already hostile towards her as it is. Minsoo had hoped that Min Neul would be in training for a good two or three years, giving Jonghyun more than ample time to get over the breakup before she made a comeback in his life again. He hadn’t expected her to debut so soon, and neither had Byunghun. Minsoo only returned Byunghun’s gaze briefly, then looked away as if a simple exchange of glances could give away their secret.

            “I knew it!” Niel cried, throwing his arms up.

            “Can we meet them?” Chanhee asked far too quickly and far too eagerly.

            Andy chuckled, his eyes scanning the clipboard in his hands. “Right now? Absolutely not. You’re both too busy.” He glance dup from his clipboard. “But you will soon.”

            Byunghun swallowed nervously. “When?”

            Andy smiled. “Tomorrow.”

            “Tomorrow?” Chanhee cried, jumping up from his seat on the couch. His eyes were wide and his smile was bright with elation. Just knowing that there was a chance to interact with females in the near future had brightened further his already bright day.

            Andy nodded once. “The announcement of T.O.P Media’s first girl group was put up on the website this morning, and their debut is scheduled to be three weeks from now on May fifteenth. I’m sure you’re all curious to meet these girls, correct?”

            “Correct!” Chanhee exclaimed.

            “So we’re having dinner with them tomorrow?” Changhyun asked, tilting his head to the side.

            “Yes,” Andy answered. “Think of it as a meet-and-greet dinner. I’d like you to get to know the girls and form bonds with them and really create a warm, welcoming atmosphere.”

            Chanhee sat back with an arrogant smile. “Form bonds with the girls? Don’t you worry, Andy-hyung, we’ll make sure to spend some real quality time with the girls.”

            Andy gave Chanhee a playful glare. “Don’t make me regret not placing a dating ban on you boys.”

            “Who said anything about dating them?” Jonghyun asked, raising an eyebrow.

            Andy sighed deeply, remembering exactly what it was like to be a young man in a band with beautiful, famous girls around him. He knew what went through a teenager’s mind, but he had to trust all his young idols to make the right decisions. “Just make sure you’re all nicely dressed and ready to board the van at six.”

            “Yes sir,” Minsoo chuckled with a bow, encouraging the other boys to follow his lead. They did, and Andy smiled and thanked them for their patience. He gave them one last encouraging compliment on their hard work for the day, declared that he had much work to do, and pivoted to leave. He didn’t need to see the boys to know the expressions on their face; he smirked at their silence, which was a dead giveaway at how shocked and excited they were. The moment the door clicked shut, the chatter began.

            “Girls!” Chanhee exclaimed. “There really are girls!”

            “I can’t believe we get to meet them tomorrow,” Daniel gushed, covering the bright smile on his face with his hands.

            “Me neither,” Jonghyun added. “They’re probably all smoking hot.”

            “With pearly white skin and pretty collarbones,” Changhyun spoke up dreamily.

            Chanhee sat back in a daze. “Damn, what I would do to get with one of them…”

            “You don’t even know what they look like!” Changhyun cried, chuckling.

            “Or what their personalities are like,” Daniel spoke up sensibly.

            “Who cares?” Jonghyun remarked. “They’re girls, they’re probably our age, and they can sing and dance. They’re probably babes.”

            Dramatically, Chanhee clasped his hands together behind his head and kicked his leg up. “Bet I could get one of them to fall for me.”

            Minsoo scoffed. “What makes you think that?”

            “Look at me,” Chanhee cried smugly. “Girls love this face!”

            “Girls love this face more,” Byunghun replied, pointing to his own handsome face with a flip of his uniquely blonde hair.

            “They love mine more,” Chanhee insisted, leaning towards Byunghun so his perfectly sloped nose was just centimeters away from the tip of Byunghun’s bumpy one. He narrowed his eyes and glared at his best friend, sparking friendly competition.

            “You sure about that?” Byunghun challenged, completely joking but slowly beginning to notice the seriousness in Chanhee’s gaze.

            “I am,” Chanhee declared confidently, pulling away. He ran his hands down his body, smoothing out his shirt. “In fact, I’m so sure, that I’m willing to make a bet.”

            Minsoo scoffed and crossed his arms. “Like what?”

            Chanhee snapped his fingers. “I bet I can make out with more members of the new girl group than Byunghun can.”

            Daniel, Changhyun, Jonghyun, and Minsoo leaned forward, intrigued at the thrilling rivalry between the boys. A low “Ooo” emitted from their lips and their eyes shined with mischief. Two things that could peak nearly any boy’s interests were competition and girls, and the boys of Teen Top were no exception.

            “Really?” Byunghun chuckled. He held up a firm hand. “And I bet I can make out with more of the girls than Chanhee can.”

            “Wait,” Changhyun spoke up suddenly, his dark, wide eyes dating back and forth between his hyungs. “Is this a real bet?”

            “You idiots aren’t seriously going to bet this,” Minsoo remarked, locking his eyes onto Byunghun’s and widening them, hoping to remind him of just who they remembered was a member of the new girl group. Byunghun blinked rapidly at him, signaling silently that he understood, but he still wasn’t backing down from Chanhee’s challenge.

            “Oh yes we are,” Chanhee exclaimed. He looked Byunghun straight in the eye and held up his hand beside Byunghun’s. “Whoever can make out with all the girls in the new group the fastest wins. Loser becomes the winner’s slave for an entire month.”

            “Slave?” Jonghyun piped up, chuckling.

            Chanhee gave a bold nod. “The slave has to do anything the winner says. Make dinner, do laundry, bring them things—all that stuff.”

            Byunghun scoffed. While he didn’t exactly want to be diva Chanhee’s slave for an entire month, he wanted to prove that he could get girls just as easily as Chanhee could, despite Chanhee having more experience. With a single nod of his head, he slapped his palm against Chanhee’s and shook it tightly. “Deal.”

            “You guys are idiots. I bet none of the girls will like either of you es.” He crossed his arms and glanced at Jonghyun. “I’m surprised you’re not in on this too.”

            Jonghyun shrugged. “Hey, I got a plan on my own.”

            “What’s that?” Daniel asked curiously.

            “After they’ve made out with each of the girls, I’ll just ask them which was the best and have them send her straight to my bedroom.” Jonghyun smirked wickedly.

            Changhyun turned to Daniel. “Are you going to try to date one of them too, hyung?”

            Daniel shrugged. “I don’t know. We don’t even know them yet! I’d rather just be friends with the girls and help them succeed as idols.”

            Jonghyun scoffed at Daniel’s innocence. He slipped his hands in his pockets and sauntered over to Daniel, then sympathetically gave the older boy a few pats on the back. “You really need to get laid, hyung.”

            “And you really need to watch what you say,” Minsoo scolded, giving Jonghyun a good punch in the arm. “Holy , you get one girlfriend and you think you know everything. You’re only twenty years old, Jonghyun. You don’t know about girls.”

            Fury crossed Jonghyun’s face immediately. In a split second, he was livid. “How can you say that? I had a girlfriend for almost as long as you! You know how much I loved her! She ruined my life!”

            “You ruined your own life!” Minsoo shouted back. “You think you know everything about relationships and girls just because you think you were cheated on but you don’t, Jonghyun! You don’t know anything!”

            Jonghyun clenched his fists, nearly ready to throw punches. Changhyun sprang to his best friend’s side, placing a caring hand on his shoulder. “Jonghyun-ah, please calm down,” he coaxed gently.

            “I don’t want to calm down!” Jonghyun shouted irately.

            “You’re being so dramatic,” Minsoo scoffed with an eye roll. “I bet if you just talked to Min Neul and figure out what happened, you could get back together and get your life back together too.”

            Jonghyun’s wallowed hard, his eyes narrowing. “You know, Minsoo, you might know a thing or two about girls, but you know nothing about having your heart broken by them. You try having your heart ripped out of your chest by the girl you love more than anything, and you see how it changes you.” He pushed Changhyun’s hand away and stumbled backwards, away from the chaos. His eyes stung with hot tears as he spat out final, chilling words before escaping. “Mark my words; I will never see Park Min Neul ever again.”

           The sound of the door slamming broke the silence the speechless boys were immersed in. Once again, not a sound was heard in the entire room. Byunghun swallowed hard. “I’m not so sure about that,” he whispered gently, dropping his gaze.

            Curious, Changhyun’s face twisted with intrigue and confusion. “What do you mean?”

            Biting his lip, Byunghun swallowed hard and glanced up. “Tomorrow, all hell’s going to break loose.”