The Curious, Gullible Trickster: Jung Daehyun

The Devil Next Door

What’s this? What’s this I’m feeling? Why do I not mind that I’m feeling this way? I’d never thought I’d see the day where I actually liked the type of guy who was sarcastic while also remaining serious. Yet, here he was, sitting in my living room. And here I was, the largest smile I’ve had in days on my face. Because his arms that were crossed against his chest screamed stubborn. Because his lips which formed a frown on his face screamed displeasure. I like it. All of it.

Yoo Youngjae, the Dokkaebi, I’ve decided I like you.

What? Like as in the way I would like a human male? No way. Like more than I do the demon Bang Yongguk and the Gumiho Kim Himchan, hell yes. Not a lewd joke has left his mouth for the now hour and a half since I’ve known him. Am I judging too quickly? Perhaps. But still, I had a feeling he was like this, stoic faced, all the time. And as I said, I like it.

No, I love it.

And that fact didn’t go unnoticed by the attention seeking fox.

“Someone’s happy.” His tone proved to show that he himself was in no way happy that I was enjoying the new spirit I had under my belt. In fact, Kim Himchan was a big fur ball of unhappy right now, a reason he was so touchy about the smile on my face. I’m not sure exactly why he’s already in such a bad mood. It’s not like I took care of him for the past what, day we’ve known each other?

“Why are you angry about it?” Yoo Youngjae, the serious trickster, asked, his eyes narrowing downward. He was confused due to the reason as to Himchan’s displeasure which made sense. It was the first time the three of us sat down together since I signed his contract over an hour ago. Now that I mentioned it, his contract was also pleasing to the eye. It was the page ripped out of a poetry book. A Shakespearean poem.  Sonnet 18. The one everyone knows. The one that starts off with “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?”

What wasn’t there to like about this spirit? He was seemingly calm. Seemingly not the type to throw out a ual innuendo every other sentence. He was into Shakespeare? I mean, really, let’s be perfectly honest.

Bang Yongguk the lewd demon? Kim Himchan the clingy fox?

Yoo Youngjae the Shakespearean Dokkaebi all the way.

So, I may have a tendency to lean more towards the classy than the straightforward type, so what?

“Himchan’s just jealous that she’s grinning because you’re her type.”

Bang Yongguk, the brown haired devil of a demon answered Youngjae’s question, somehow being able to read exactly what I was thinking. I didn’t hesitate in retorting his statement.

“Sorry to say spirits and demons don’t make it onto my list of favorite characteristics for a man to have. So unfortunately, I’m sorry to say you’re wrong as to why I’m grinning.” Mr. Demon turned to me, raising his eyebrows as if to ask the question, “oh, is that so, now?” Yes, yes it is so, Mr. Demon. You may be intuitive but you should know by now I’m not going to let you wag that tail of yours and spout nonsense without a single word or in some cases a stomp of my foot.

“What? That’s unfair.” Kim Himchan whined, his fists balling up and his feet stomping down onto the ground. How exactly is it unfair that I choose not to be attracted to a demon or a spirit? Wow, I just got a shiver thinking about being married to the devil incarnate that sat beside me now, Bang Yongguk. No matter what happens, let’s hope that’s the last thing I do.

Though maybe not the last thing. The last thing would be ending up with the Gumiho Himchan. Cross my heart and swear to die if that ever happened. Hopefully not a painful death though. That wouldn’t be fun. A death in my sleep would be good. It would be peaceful and calming. Wait, I got off on a tangent didn’t I? I won’t be dying because that won’t be happening Mr. Disappointed Gumiho.

“Good. My type isn’t human women anyway.”

Yoo Youngjae responded from beside Himchan, his arms moving from his lap to his chest, crossing there in a position I was liking more and more by the second. What? I shouldn’t like that? But I do, oh, how I do. It’s refreshing. It feels good to be openly disliked after being with the demon and the Gumiho so long.

Sure, Bang Yongguk wasn’t attached to me like Himchan was but he simply couldn’t quit with the ual banter. Kim Himchan is self explanatory. Let’s hope he takes a note out of Youngjae’s handbook when it comes to his attitude towards me.

I sighed contently, leaning forward onto my knees as I held my chin up in my palm, “You and me, I think we’ll get along great.”

Youngjae glanced at Yongguk who was at the current point in time rolling his eyes at me whilst Himchan frowned in displeasure. And then he spoke again, confusion coating his voice, “I already told you, I’m not into human women.”

Yoo Youngjae, now that I’ve caught you, I’m not letting you get away.  


“So, Mr. Tokebi doesn’t want to be caught.” I nodded my head as I sank my fingers into the tangerine in my hand, peeling back the skin as I sat cross-legged on the floor of my room. Yoo Youngjae sat in front of me, his hands grasping onto his ankles as he watched me peel the fruit. The reason being?

Because every time I finished pulling another edible piece off, I would give it to him. He hadn’t asked but I hadn’t even realized I had been doing it until Kim Himchan complained and nudged me with his knee.

“Peel one for me too.” He whispered as though he would somehow be able to implant the idea into my head. I hadn’t thought twice and ended up giving him a piece from the one in my hands at the current point in time.

What? I’m actually being nice to them? It’s not on purpose, trust me. My body did it on reflex. Damn him, that crybaby of a best friend of mine, Oh Sehun, for making me like this. Okay, I’m kidding. Don’t damn him. I wouldn’t want him to become like Bang Yongguk.

Sehun may have been clingy like Kim Himchan but I had a soft spot for him. And when he comes over, we usually eat together. And I end up practically feeding him his food one bite at a time. Because that’s how its been since we met. And I miss him. And I ended up peeling the food I got out as a late night snack today for the two spirits next to me on impulse.

I finished peeling the tangerine in my hand and held it out to Youngjae to which he took gratefully, not saying a word of thanks but I didn’t need him to. Same with Himchan. It’s not like I did anything all to wonderful for them in doing what I did. It’s not like I’m some savior of the planet. All I did was peel them some pieces of tangerine and there was no thanks necessary for that.

“I assume you’re talking about Daehyun?” He responded to my statement from earlier on though what he said only caused me to stare at him in wonder until he decided to elaborate, “Jung Daehyun. The Tokebi that was with me this morning.”

“Jung Daehyun.” I repeated his name, getting myself used to it as I pulled another piece of fruit out of its peel and held it above Himchan’s head to the person who was currently sitting on my desk, Bang Yongguk. He stared at me for a moment, blinking a few times. My arm was getting tired from hanging up so long and my patience was getting tired with his hesitance, so I lifted it up higher to him, “Think of it as tribute if that’s what makes you eat it.”

His frown changed then as my words left my mouth. His lips curved upwards slowly and I felt the urge to punch that stupid gum showing grin off of his face again but resisted and simply held the tangerine just a little bit higher. He took it this time, his fingers holding it up as he seemed to inspect it before he did something that almost made me gag. He did something with that tongue of his.

That long, distracting tongue of his. It darted out of his mouth, swiping his lower lip, effectively moistening it. And then, his smile returned as he eyed me again, “You’re going to have to offer a lot more than just one tangerine.”

I ignored him, as I always did, and gave into the persistent words Himchan was murmuring to me as his knee continued to nudge mine. The words, “Give me another. Please.” He has hands doesn’t he? I was in the right mind to knock some sense in him with my own but I instead put them to better use and picked up another tangerine, listening to his request.

Darn it, Oh Sehun. If I don’t see you soon, I might actually end up being nice to them until I do.

Yoo Youngjae spoke again, his arms crossing against his chest into that familiar position that was starting to become his trademark. His lips were a firm line as he muttered beneath his breath in a questioning tone, “You said you’re not into demons and spirits.”

I nodded, my eyes still on the fruit in my hands, “That’s right.” At that time, I had no idea why he felt a need to reiterate my words to me. For a little while longer, I still would have no idea.


“Don’t run away.” I reached out, holding tight onto the back of his jacket as he attempted to take off again. As the mischievous Tokebi attempted to run off again. He was in the same place he was yesterday, living up to the title of “airhead” that Yoo Youngjae gave him yesterday.

As much as I liked classy men, I’d say airheads are definitely right on up there on my list of likeability. Mostly because he was making it easy for me by showing up here again. So easy I couldn’t help but laugh at the fact that simply grabbing hold of his jacket would stop him from running off.

Other than airhead, Yoo Youngjae was quite straightforward in his descriptions of the Tokebi, Jung Daehyun. He called him a multitude of adjectives. The kind of adjectives that you can’t be sure are good until you meet the person face to face.

“Why?”

Curious.

“Because I have something to say to you.” Something to say? Hogwash.

“What is it?”

Gullible.

“I want you to become my spirit.”

“Don’t want to.”

Childish. As if I already don’t have enough of those kinds of spirits and demons around me.

“Then, let’s make a deal.”

Jung Daehyun’s defensive stance faltered, his interest peeked by my words. “What kind of deal?”

And overall, Jung Daehyun the, now that I looked at it, rather good looking Tokebi, was a trickster to the core. And he loved games.

That’s how I would catch him. How I would dupe the trickster. I would play his game and win. How would I win?

“If I can guess what you’re thinking right now, I sign your contract and you become mine.”

“And if you lose?” His words almost made me laugh. If I lose? Oh, I won’t be doing that. Though I suppose I should give him some drive to win.

“If I lose, I leave you alone.”

“Deal.” He accepted without knowing a single thing. He stood in front of me with a cocky look on his face that I was looking forward to wiping off with the next word that came out of my mouth. Because I knew I would win. How? Again, how did I know I would?

Because unlike him, I have the wisdom of a spirit whose known him for centuries on my side, the Dokkaebi named Yoo Youngjae. And with my next words, his smile disappeared.

“You’re thinking about eating.”

And because the trickster was curious, because he was gullible, he didn’t ask me to specify my answer. And so, Park Sora successfully catches her fourth demon and or spirit. And so, Park Sora’s house and break off of school is surely going to be much more noisy than usual. And so, Park Sora’s life begins to be filled to the brim with the supernatural.

Go me!

Can you hear my excitement?