Chapter 13

Bishounen (Pretty Boy)

 

        Hyun Seung beats down his last opponent with a jump of spinning back kick that hits exactly on the guy’s head, pinning him to the ground right away. With this, the man that keeps holding the microphone raises Hyun Seung right arm, highly above their heads.

        “Jang Hyun Seung...wins!” He cheers loudly, shaking Hyun Seung’s hand in a continuous way. Absently, the black belt that has already loosened from his earlier match trails down to his pants from the shakes, making the button-less shirt opened into two. He apathetically grins, slightly bowing his head and keeps grimacing from the cries of elation that echo through the hall. 

        I don’t expect him – never – to win this tournament. Do my eyes belie me? No, I hope not. I believe that all of these are real. They, the shout of applause, the commotion, the light, the gleeful air, the legato and everything here are real, absolutely. It is like I’m talking about the dignity of me as his master. But no, I’m delighted to hear this. I’m happy for the side of his friend. I’m proud of him to be my student, who learnt what I taught. Considerably, he is stunning. I kept finding myself gasping on every flowing yet dangerous move that he used. He has got very good tactics and cunning feints to dump one by one of his opponents. Those were just...smooth.

        Behind that look, I bet that there is no one can recognize a beast inside. Oh God, it isn’t something like me to highly praise someone. I mean, he is not that good neither best. He still gets black holes here and there, and he isn’t perfect. No one is perfect.

        I rise from my seat at the couch bleacher and rush along the row, stepping on the metal stair.

        Even though, this imperfect person caused bliss.

        I look at Ren who happily follows and leads the way. I stride to Ren’s side, heading across the blue base-ground to approach Hyun Seung who stands recklessly on his indecent attire. Once he realises our presence from afar, he waves, exposing more of his teeth. I make an attempt to wave back. But then, I unintentionally anchor my eyes on someone who struggles forward, behind Hyun Seung’s back.  He looks like that last opponent, the last one who became the victim of the floor.

        I continue to keep an eye on that person. He scrunches up his nose in distaste. The way he sets his eyes forward is intriguing, but more like one’s should be aware of. His chest heaves up and down and the red colour takes over his face is, as if he is going to explode. For my concern, it is concluded that his face resembles dissatisfies – a hatred and hostility.

        I worriedly glance at Hyun Seung. The beam shone of his victory is somehow…strange. No. I feel strange, that is uneasy – an angst.

        Just when a kind of pull urges me to look back at the loser, - that guy - moves greedily and land his foot on Hyun Seung’s back. Hyun Seung stumbles forward, earning loud gasps from the crowd and yelling on the other side.

        Right on time. That is instinct.

       “What are you doing?!” Growling, I can’t even control my voice like it can bounce back every now and then. Making a dash through the hall, I widen my eyes, unbelievably looking at that darn guy relentlessly kicking on Hyun Seung torso, taking his opportunity while Hyun Seung is bending his body on the floor.

       Why doesn’t he fight back? Why he keeps crouching over his rib? I’m sure that I’ll kill him if he won’t get up.

        “ that punk!” Hearing to Ren’s cursing words; I gather all the burning courage and give a strike along the punk’s head to his neck. I’m hoping some of his nerves will wreck terribly, very. Aiming only his head, I harshly push him back, thrown into the crowd where they purposely dispersed to let him land.

        This is what you will get if you keep messing with my side. No one will. No such thing like hit and run. You are disgracefully failed.

        Panting, I glare at him for the last time before approaching the right person. I kneel down over Hyun Seung’s side, examining his state. There is bead off sweat runs down his cheek. His eyes are closed with a frown creases on his forehead, radiating the pain he has got. He bends up his knees, groaning and keeps clutching on the lower region of his stomach.

        “Ren! What’s wrong with him?” I whisper, in a total panic. I try to keep calm, but I can’t. Hyun Seung doesn’t even move when I shake his body, this time. He has stop moving. I warn you for this last time, get up. Please, get up.

        Ren, on the other hand, vigorously shakes his head. It doesn’t look good. He clutches on my hand, desperately instructs. “Please, call for ambulance.”