Preparing For The Future

And Then You Came Along

 

Sojin's POV
 
There were many things that ran through my mind that night. The fact that I had to endure my life without Minhyuk once again. That mom had stayed home one day to keep an eye on me. The conversation I'd had with Minhyuk. Those thoughts all swirled around in my head, and I wondered whether I would get some sleep. But I did. Eventually, when I decided to take one day at a time. 
 
Minhyuk waited for me outside my house the next morning. He smiled, a little cautiously, like he was trying to see how my mental state was, and I smiled back. It did hurt to know that it was a matter of days before he would leave, but I thought of his words. "You're strong enough."
 
"Hey. How are you feeling today?" he asked when we linked hands and begun to walk down the street.
 
"I'm... better", I answered. 
 
He nodded and smiled. It seemed like it was the answer he wanted to hear. Not "good" or "not so good". 
 
It was hard. From the reactions from his friends to the sympathetic looks I received. Everything reminded me of what was soon going to happen, and that was the last thing I wanted to think about. Minhyuk also seemed a bit uncomfortable by the way people were acting around the two of us, but he never said anything. He kept his head held high and tried to smile as often as possible. It made me feel at ease at the same time it made me feel sad. Everything was already changing and he wasn't even gone yet.
 
Minhyuk's POV
 
"Peniel, could I talk with you?" 
 
The rest of them, including Sojin, had gone off to class, and it left the two of us alone. I'd been hoping to talk to him as quickly as possible. Peniel seemed a little surprised over my question but nodded.
 
"Sure. What is it?" he asked.
 
"This might be a little too much to ask, since I don't know you that well. But could you do me a favor?" I asked.
 
"Depends on what it is", he answered.
 
"I... Since I won't be around, could you look after Sojin for me? Not be around her 24/7, but at least make sure she's not alone?" I said, watching his expression carefully.
 
He stayed quiet for a moment before he sighed. "What did you think? It's not like we're going to diss her simply because you're not around."
 
I smiled in relief. "Thanks. It means a lot."
 
He nodded and smiled crookedly. "There's no need to worry. Besides, I don't think that Ilhoon would be able to ignore her."
 
"Yeah, that's true. Keep him on a distance too while you're at it."
 
We grinned at each other and I felt a little better on the inside. With help from them, I was absolutely positive Sojin was going to make it without me.