Promises

And Then You Came Along

 

Minhyuk's POV
 
The following day passed agonizingly slow. I tried to call Sojin several times, but she didn't pick up. Both mom and dad tried to talk to me, but I only turned my back to them and locked the door to my room. It hadn't mattered too much before, since I hadn't met anyone that I cared so much for. That I loved so much. 
 
When I came to school on monday, I walked straight to Sojin's locker. She wasn't there, so I waited. I waited and waited, until the time was so much I would be late if I didn't get my own stuff and walk to class. With several glances behind me, I reluctantly left her ruined locker behind me. 
 
"Dude, what's up? You haven't said anything all day", Ilhoon asked and poked me in the side.
 
I just stared sulkily down at my food, ignoring his question. I had no energy to tell them about me moving and then explain that Sojin hadn't come to school because of me. 
 
"Is Sojin sick today?" Ilhoon asked, apparently not understanding my silence.
 
"I don't know", I answered shortly.
 
"You haven't asked?"
 
"She hasn't answered."
 
It got quiet around the table, and I could feel everyone's eyes on me. Feeling the need to move, I pushed my tray away from me and stood up.
 
"I'm not hungry", I mumbled.
 
Before anyone could say something, I walked away. I kept my head down and just kept moving even if I walked into someone. The only thing I knew was that I had to get out of the school, and I was soon walking down the street. 
 
There wasn't really anything else I could've done. How could I, when it was killing me inside, knowing that Sojin was in pain? So I'd just walked home to her, and I was now standing outside her apartment waiting for someone to open the door. There were two possibilities; either her mom would open or Sojin herslef would. And I had no idea which one I preferred. But I didn't get the chance to think about it any longer time, since the door swung open and revealed Sojin's mom. Her expression stayed blank, but I could feel the silent rage towards me.
 
"Uhm... Is Sojin home?" I asked hesitantly.
 
"Why do you ask?" she retorted.
 
Her reply made me snap. "Look, I'm fully aware that I'm the reason Sojin didn't come to school today, but you are the last person who has the right to judge me."
 
We stared at each other for a moment, before she stepped aside to let me pass. Just when I was right in front of her, she turned her head to look me straight in the eyes.
 
"I haven't seen my daughter cry in years. Keep that in mind when you're saying whatever it is you're planning to say."
 
I nodded once and continued in to the apartment. Even though it was the first time I was inside Sojin's home, I immediatly understood which room was her's. I took a deep breath before I knocked softly on the wooden door. I knew she wouldn't open it herself, so I just pushed it a little so it swung open. She sat curled up on her bed, staring out the window. If it weren't for the tiny jump she'd made when the door opened, I hadn't been sure whether she'd heard me or not. 
 
"Hi", I said awkwardly.
 
She didn't reply. 
 
"How are you feeling?" I asked, wondering if I should sit down next to her or not.
 
"When are you leaving?" 
 
Her voice was quiet and I could've sworn it trembled. Still, there were no visible tears in her eyes. 
 
"In two weeks."
 
She let out a shaky breath and closed her eyes. It hurt. It really hurt to see her so miserable because of me. Without giving it a second thought, I sat down next to her. She did flinch a little, but she didn't move away from me. 
 
"It'll be okay", I tried to comfort her.
 
She opened her eyes slowly and looked at me, the tears threatening to spill over. 
 
"Don't tell me that. You're not allowed to tell me that things are going to be fine when you're going to leave me", she said quietly. 
 
I opened my mouth to argue against her words, but a tear that ran down her cheek stopped me. It just trickled down her perfect skin and landed on her knees. As if she was embarrassed, she hurried to wipe away the trail that was left behind. She stared down at the floor, trying to hold back the rest of the tears.
 
"It's okay to cry", I whispered. 
 
She took a shaky breath before she turned around and buried her face in my shoulder. Her sobs weren't loud but they shook her whole body. And the only thing I could do was wrap my arm around her and hold her tight as she cried out all those tears she'd been holding in for so long. 
 
I didn't know for how long we'd been sitting there before Sojin began to calm down. My shirt was soaked, but that didn't matter. All that really mattered was that she got everything out of her system. We just sat there for a moment, before I dared to break the silence.
 
"You'll be fine, even though I won't be here", I said softly.
 
She sat up, and I reluctantly dropped my arm. Her expression was serious and her eyes were red-rimmed.
 
"How do you know that? Before you came along, my life was a living hell. And you know that", she said.
 
"But things are different now", I pointed out.
 
She sniffed once and looked out the window. 
 
"What if things change when you leave?"
 
It was almost too quiet to hear. I looked at her for a while, feeling horrible about everything.
 
"Then you have to make sure it doesn't."
 
I reached for her hand and held it tight. She turned her gaze to me and seemed to think about something for a moment. 
 
"It'll be hard... without you", she said quietly, her cheeks turning slightly pink.
 
I smiled and brushed away some hair from her face.
 
"You're strong enough. You've already proven that many times", I replied.
 
She nodded half heartedly and sqeazed my hand lightly. "It still doesn't change the fact that you're leaving."
 
My smile faded away and she dropped her gaze. I hesitated for just one second before I placed a finger under her chin and forced her head up. She looked in to my eyes, the sadness and fear obvious in her own.
 
"It's goodbye, but not farewell. I'll come back for you", I said slowly.
 
She blinked and processed my words. 
 
"Is that a promise?" she asked.
 
I nodded. "If you promise you won't give up, I promise I'll be back. I don't know when, but I will not give you up so easy."
For the first time, she cracked a smile, only to start crying seconds after. Once again, she ended up in my arms, and I held her there. It felt like something lifted from my chest, knowing that I hadn't lost her. That she was going to keep on fighting.