Good Luck

And Then You Came Along

 

Minhyuk's POV
 
She was mine. I had her, and I was never going to let her go. That was why it felt really hard to let Sojin leave to go inside her hotel. But she managed to force me into let go of her hand. I stood outside the building for a moment, watching her get in safely, before I finally could go home myself. 
 
"You look happy", dad stated when I walked into the kitchen.
 
"Mm", I answered, smiling at him. "Mom's not home yet?"
 
"No, she'll be late. Really though, what's up with you?" he asked, giving me a weird look as I took a glass.
 
"Nothing", I insisted, even though I smiled widely.
 
Dad sat in silence and watched me catiously as I poured up some water in the glass and drank it. I could feel that my cheeks were red, even the slightest, and he must've noticed that.
 
"Has it something to do with Sojin maybe?" he asked innocently when I put down the empty glass.
 
"Maybe", I answered, shrugging.
 
The man got a knowing smile on his lips and gave me a look that screamed out understanding.
 
"Stop that, it's creepy", I told him, beginning to back out of the room.
 
"Just don't do anything stupid. She's already had enough trouble for a lifetime, and I won't have my son be the reason for more of it", he said, giving me a stern look before I disappeared out of his view.
 
"I would never", I answered, with real sincerity.
 
I wouldn't. Never in my life would I do anything to hurt that girl. That would basically be like hurting myself.
 
Sojin's POV
 
I walked in to my room, finding mom walking around in circles. We both froze and stared at each other, my happiness fading slightly. My mind, that earlier had been clouded by a lot of feelings, cleared as I saw her tired expression.
 
"What's going on?" I asked and slowly placed my bag on the floor.
 
"I'm not getting anything. Nothing", mom got out, sounding hollow.
 
"What are you talking about?" I asked in confusion.
 
"The divorce. I'm not getting any money from it", she said, her voice cracking.
 
She sat down on her bed, burying her face in her hands before she started to sob. I blinked to process what she'd told me, before a sudden feeling of pity came over me. Not for myself, but for her. I didn't know how long it'd been since she last had been independant from anyone else's money, I wasn't even sure if she'd ever been. I looked at her while she cried, shifting my weight awkwardly between my feet.
 
"So... What's going to happen now?" I asked carefully, not wanting to make her even more upset.
 
She looked up from her hands, her usually sharp eyes red and filled with water. She smiled bitterly and got up from the bed, trying to regain some of her pride.
 
"Well, there's nothing I can do, is it? I'll have to start working again. But that's none of your concern, your father will pay for everything you need", she said, not even bothering to hide her contempt for the man she was married to. 
 
"Okay", I answered.
 
So that was how he was going to make up for it. By giving me everything I wanted. My father wasn't a very complicated person to figure out, he was one of those people who thought he could buy anything for money. Not once had I seen him since I got to the hospital. He hadn't bothered to come, not even after. So much for family.
 
The next day, I walked to school with Minhyuk. His hand held onto mine tightly, and I felt safe. It felt strange at the same time, since I had no idea what kind of reactions we would get when we entered the school hand in hand, but when I saw his reassuring smile, those worries disappeared. 
 
When we actually entered the school, nothing special happened. Only a few glances, but nothing out of the ordinary. 
 
"See? You worry too much", Minhyuk told me and squeezed my hand.
 
"I haven't even said anything", I said, giving him a look.
 
"No. But I know you worried", he answered, grinning.
 
I rolled my eyes but couldn't help but smile. He was good. 
 
He had to let go of my hand while I got my stuff from my locker, but instead, he wrapped his arms around my waist. It made it very hard for me to focus on what I was doing, but I managed.
 
"Eww, keep that stuff out of the school", I suddenly heard a voice.
 
I turned my head and saw Ilhoon and Peniel come walking towards us. My face got red, and I tried to hide it inside the locker. Minhyuk on the other hand found the comment hilarious, since he chuckled.
 
"You're just jealous", he said, holding me tighter.
 
"Nice working dude. I was wondering how much time you two needed to finally get together", Peniel said, making me blush even deeper.
 
"Shut up", Minhyuk muttered.
 
"No, but seriously. Congratulations", Peniel said, sounding sincere.
 
Still hiding my face in the locker, I smiled. Acceptance.
 
Minhyuk's POV
 
That whole day couldn't have been better. Not in any kind of way. My whole mind was clouded by Sojin. Her eyes, her lips, her hair. Every single thing about her filled my thoughts, making me smile like an idiot. 
 
When school ended, we walked out together, still holding hands. But when I turned to walk in the direction of her hotel, she pulled her hand out of mine. I turned around and looked at her in confusion, and she bit her lip.
 
"I have to do something", she said.
 
"Do what?" I asked, a feeling of worry coming over me.
 
"Nothing important. You can go home, I don't need any company", she said, trying to give me a reassuring smile.
 
"Okay... Wait, can I have your number first? So I can call you", I asked, searching for my phone in my pockets.
 
"Oh. Sure", she said, blushing. 
 
She said the numbers while I wrote them into my phone. At the same time, I made her number one on my speed-dialer. 
 
"Well, I'll call you", I said, smiling at her as I put my phone back in my pocket.
 
She nodded and smiled back, but before I could leave, she grabbed my collar and pulled my face down to her level. She kissed me for the second time, making me feel light headed. She was so careful but at the same time so expressive with her kisses, making me weak in the knees. When she pulled away, I was completely breathless.
 
"What was that for?" I asked.
 
She gave me a mysterious smile and took a step back.
 
"Good luck."
 
And then she turned around and left me. I looked after her, a stupid smile forming on my lips. She was really something.