Onnagata

Ice melts with Ice

Chapter 3: Onnagata, A cross-dressed male actors

 

Kai went closer to Il Bum while Taemin, without noticing, held the booth where Min Jung was sitting. He kept his poker face, even though he was trying to scare him out of their task.

"Listen to me! You won't regret training with her!" Il Bum turned to look at Min Jung who was observing Kai's movements.Kai turned to where Il Bum was looking at and so was Taemin. Even though they saw them here a few hours ago, they completely forgot about Il Bum's company that was just right across him, listening to the two male teenagers' fuss.

The two brothers froze as they studied the girl's appearance. If others took a glance of her, they'd think she was Il Bum's daughter, living in a normal life, studying in an all girls' school from her clean display. Especially Taemin, who was only a few inches from her face, locked eyes for a minute. In dramas, scenes like this would've sparked their feeling inside but between the two strangers' minds, it was just a simple of who-will-win-the-staring-contest-without-blinking and Il Bum accidentally blurted his thought.

"Why? Trapped in her charms, Taemin?" he teased and Kai raised his eyebrows at him. Taemin raised his eyebrow at her before pulling back on his position while Min Jung stuck out her tongue while she straightened in her seat as Taemin replied while crossing his arms on his chest. "Yeah, right."

"Stop changing the topic, man." Kai punched his shoulder.

Il Bum rubbed his shoulder. "Just saying.."

"Anyway, we decided to ditch your task for us, hyung." Kai nonchalantly said.

Il Bum turned to him with a furious expression as he pulled them in a whisper, afraid Min Jung might hear his plan. "What!? B-But-.. y-you don't understand, no matter how qualified she is, I don't think she's capable of dealing her way to the end on her own."

Taemin creased his forehead. "And why did you pick us when there are other artists who can replace us."

"And not to mention, I thought trainees are being taught by our choreographers? Not artists itself." Kai added.

Il Bum had no more excuses to say so he only patted their shoulders in response. "You'll understand."

The two of them rolled their eyes as they left the restaurant. Il Bum went back to his seat and turned to Min Jung.

"I apologise for their rudeness. That's who they are from the very beginning." Il Bum awkwardly smiled. Min Jung just nodded in understanding.

Unknowingly, before they could lift their utensils, Taemin and Kai came back with an unreadable expression, as always. Il Bum lifted his head in surprise. The two brothers looked at each other then looked back at Il Bum, it was as if they were hesitating on saying something.

"Is something wrong?" Il Bum worriedly asked. By then, Min Jung slowly glanced at them.

Taemin heaved a big sigh before opening his eyes. He opened his mouth but it was replaced by the loud rumble from their belly.

Silence filled around them before Il Bum started snickering at their stubborness. If anyone was looking at Min Jung, it can be seen that her lips curved upwards in one inch after biting her lower lip secretly.

"Serves you right for always keeping your ego with you." he shook his head as he purposely moaned in delight when he munched a meat into his mouth to tease them.

Kai groaned in frustration. "Hyung please. We will do anything. Just help us this time. We're dying in hunger, literally."

Il Bum smirked as he raised his head at him. "Anything?"

Kai realised what he said as he widens his eyes. "I-I mean.."

Il Bum abruptly stood up from his seat and turned to Min Jung who was still as a statue the whole time. "Ali, meet me at the studio at 8 o' clock in the morning," he turned to the two boys with wicked eyes. "And you two as well."

He walked towards them and draped his arms around their shoulder. "So, let's order!"

Taemin narrowed his eyes at Kai. "I'll have his whole tongue for desert."

Kai pouted in dismay as he was pulled, along with Taemin, by their evil hyung. On Min Jung's side, she shook her head as she sipped on her juice. "I don't want to be called like that."

 

 

All of them already made it to the studio and was surprised Il Bum made it before them. Taemin and Kai stood across Min Jung who just kept her hands in her pockets. Il Bum was eyeing them like he was giving them enough time to understand their minds.

After a good 5 minutes, Il Bum cleared his throat to gain their attention. "I know you two already know her but in fact, she clearly doesn't know you at all."

Taemin gave him a questioning look while Kai looked intently at Min Jung, who blinked boredly at Il Bum's statement while staring at the ground.

"Wait, isn't it the other way around?" Taemin asked.

Il Bum took a step forward. "But you already know her, right?"

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, but that's n-"

Il Bum draped his arm around Min Jung, who gave him a glare before shoving his arm away. Kai who was looking at them, stared at where Il Bum placed his arm on her. 

"Ali, do you recognize them?" he whispered in her ears. Seeing how his breath is tickling her face, she pushed his head away from her before examining the two strangers infront of her. Oddly, their hearts stopped when Min Jung's mouth slightly opened like she was about to speak until she closed it again and replaced it with a shook of the head as her response.

Il Bum turned to them. "Told ya'"

Taemin sighed. "Whatever. I don't even care about it now anyway."

Min Jung narrowed her eyes like she was thinking of something and when she suddenly leaned onto Il Bum's ears, the boys flinched in suspicion. After a brief moment, they saw Il Bum raised his eyebrow with an awkward smile.

"Their what? What's an Onnagata?" Il Bum blurted and by then, Taemin and Kai's jaw drops at the word.