Apparently Neighbors

Being Friends with Boys

"Well, this is awkward."

 

**

 

 

"It's a girl!"

 

I opened my eyes to a bright, blue sky, yet everything seemed quite blurry. There was a lot of noise coming from above me, like the faint sound of people talking. The voices were quite male and very developed. This was none of your prepubescent boys talking here, folks.

 

My vision cleared.

 

And I gasped.

 

Three faces, all male, were staring at me, all close up and personal, right in front of my face. I was staring at Gorgeous #1, Gorgeous #2, and Gorgeous #3. I must have saved a village in my past life because opening my eyes to that, was something that I'd never thought would occur in my life before. Their faces were too unreal and so celebrity. I had somehow hit jackpot. I reached eureka.

 

"I must be dreaming," I said, dazed and confused.

 

"She's alive," Gorgeous #1 told Gorgeous #2. He made hand gestures to indicate that I was in fact a living and breathing human being.

 

"Obviously," Gorgeous #3 said, rolling his eyes.

 

A dog barked in the distance and crawled up over to my side, its tongue slobbery against my cheek. I remembered what happened now. A big, white dog came over and knocked me down. I must have gotten knocked out for a moment or two, apparently.

 

"Sangchu's on the girl again, even after we told her to get off," Gorgeous #2 chuckled a little.

 

"So-" I groaned in pain. "Heavy."

 

"Sangchu, get off the girl you knocked over," Gorgeous #1 said sweetly. "If you do, Baekhyun will give you something nice."

 

Sangchu proceeded to get off me, with the help of Gorgeous #1. She wagged her tail happily at him while I sighed in relief at the weight that was now taken off my shoulders. I could breathe better again, that's for sure. 

 

The three boys proceeded to stare at me once more. They stuck their faces right in front of mine just like before. Had they no sense of personal space? Even though they were gorgeous, they could have been total air heads. The whole mutual staring was a little unnerving, especially considering the people that were staring at me. It made a person self-conscious.

 

I groaned and covered my face with my arms. My cheeks reddened in response. "Will you stop doing that?"

 

Gorgeous #3 gave a low whistle, clearly amused.

 

"We obviously did not kill anyone," Gorgeous #2 responded. "I consider this to be a great thing, you know. It means we're not murderers."

 

Listening to the conversation, I resisted the urge to say something really corny because I had a feeling it'd scare them off. Like 'I could have died by your dazzling looks, did you just fall from the sky?'

 

"Baekhyun, maybe we should just talk to the girl?" Gorgeous #1 said.

 

"Yes, I agree with Gorgeous #1," I chimed in response.

 

Silence came right after. Absolute dead silence.

 

"Did I just say that out loud?" I mumbled under my breath. Although the answer was probably very obvious and leaned toward the fact that I did call him Gorgeous #1 out loud, I remained optimistic. Optimistic that I wasn't that stupid to voice my thoughts out loud. I'm not that weird, right?

 

But alas.

 

"You did," Gorgeous #1 said in a matter-of-fact voice.

 

Gorgeous #2 was about to say something, but then he burst into fits of laughter.

 

"Who's Gorgeous #1?" Gorgeous #3 said.

 

"None of your business," I replied quickly, very ashamed. I turned my head to the side. "Excuse me while I go and die on this lovely pavement ground."

 

"You shouldn't do that," Gorgeous #1 said disapprovingly. "We'll be fined for littering."

 

"For a dead body? Or for the clothes I'm wearing?" I asked. I did not look up to meet his eyes. The shame and horror of my thoughts being spoken out loud had made me resist looking at him. No matter how good looking he was.

 

Gorgeous #2 stopped laughing and changed the conversation. "Do you mind getting up? Not that there's anything wrong with you lying on the ground like that, well, maybe there is, but I feel slightly uncomfortable looking down at you."

 

I tried to get up and pushed my arms and legs up, but nothing would give. It was no wonder I was so terrible at Physical Education classes. Sit ups were always bad for me, like, really bad. This was just a testimonial to that.

 

"I need help," I said, sadly. "Please?"

 

"Well, since you asked." Gorgeous #1 grabbed both of my arms and pulled me up like it was no big deal.

 

My girl teenage hormones were activated at this time, and I couldn't help but admire the strong grip that he had pulling me up. It's so lame, but the shame of everything that had happened prior had led me to even more desperate plunges of weirdness. 

 

I stood upright, but the world wasn't so right. Everything was spinning and the next step I took I almost tumbled straight down and did a face plant on the ground. But two pairs of arms grabbed me at the right time, to add to my further shame, and kept me steady. Oh, life.

 

"Do you guys, um, live here?" I asked, once I had correctly righted myself. The thought of these boys living here would really be icing on the cake, but it didn't seem very likely. I never had very good luck in general. And didn't my aunt say nobody had kids?

 

"Yes, we do." Gorgeous #1 said, being the valiant soldier he was by still holding onto my arms. 

 

I gasped, almost jumping in the air from surprise. 

 

The three boys gave me the weirdest looks. From those looks, I didn't really want to know what they could possibly think about me. 

 

"My aunt told me nobody my age lived here!" I said. I shook my head. "What a lie!"

 

"It depends on how old you are," Gorgeous #3 said. "For her to say that. She may still view you as a little kid, you know."

 

"Are you saying that I'm ten?" I said, slightly offended. "I am seventeen and definitely not a kid, just to be clear."

 

"Did you just recently move here?" Gorgeous #2 asked me, changing the subject.

 

I nodded.

 

"It's a girl neighbor," Gorgeous #2 said in a hush-hush tone. He seemed quite stunned by this revelation. "Finally, a girl neighbor. Out of all the neighbors I've ever had, a girl finally decides to move here."

 

"What's your name?" Gorgeous #1 asked.

 

"Seo Imkyung," I responded.

 

"Not Gorgeous #1, I believe?" Gorgeous #3 said with a smirk.

 

"Shut up," I replied, blushing. Besides, I couldn't be Gorgeous #1 because it was obviously Gorgeous #1's persona. I repeated my question from earlier. "You three all live in this neighborhood?"

 

The three of them nodded.

 

"What are your names?" I asked.

 

"I'm Luhan," Gorgeous #1 said. 

 

"I'm Baekhyun," Gorgeous #2 said.

 

"Oh Sehun," Gorgeous #3 stated with a nod.

 

"You just had to be a rebel, huh, Sehun?" Baekhyun said, shaking his head in disapproval. "Nodding and just saying your last name instead of I am."

 

"Whatever, Baekhyun," Sehun said cheekily.

 

Baekhyun slapped him on the head. The two of them started chasing each other around.

 

I stared at the sight. What boys. Who was I to be be surprised at the activity of? It was something that was pretty typical. Boys will be boys.

 

Luhan patted me on the shoulder and gave me a smile. I looked at his brown eyes. Normally, I wouldn't be the type of person to describe a guy's eyes, but his were really nice to look into. His eyes just showed signs of niceness and hospitality. That was the best thing to describe him as.

 

"Welcome to the neighborhood, Imkyung," Luhan said. "Do you like it so far?"

 

"It's definitely something." I replied. Understatement of the year, much?

 

Luhan turned to me, "Sorry about Sangchu falling on top of you earlier."

 

I shook my head. "It's fine. Sorry for calling you Gorgeous #1."

 

He started laughing in response, a really big kind of laugh that made me worry that he was going to die from laughter or something  I probably shouldn't have said that. My parents always said that I never restrained myself from thinking before I spoke. I really had a no-filter kind of thing when it came to that. I should probably start working on to fix that, like right about now. Three gorgeous boys in front of me, and I had already embarrassed myself not once, but like over five times. What a real charmer I was.

 

Eventually, the two of them stopped playing and then walked over back to me and Luhan.

 

"I guess it's time to go," I said with a shrug. "Got to finish packing and all. Teenage girls bring a lot of stuff, you know."

 

"We'll walk you home," Luhan offered.

 

"Always the charmer, huh?" I said. 

 

He gave me a knowing smile. Despite the fact that I had known him for probably less than 10 minutes, I felt quite comfortable around Luhan. There was just something nice about him that made me feel comfortable and safe.

 

"What about me?" Sehun said into my ear.

 

I screamed in response and almost knocked him to the ground with my fist.

 

Baekhyun and Luhan began to laugh. So much for being comfortable around Luhan. He must have distracted me, by the look in his eyes, for Sehun to go and scare me. Sehun grumpily rubbed his face.

 

"So, I'll go walk home now," I said. Then added, for extra measure, "By myself."

 

I turned around on my heel and then started down the street to go home. As much as I would have liked to stay with all three boys, a nagging sense of doing right called to me. I had to go home and unpack everything. So it was time to walk home by myself, which really wouldn't have been a lonely affair because it probably would have taken me like a minute or two. But the sound of footsteps behind me made me sigh.

 

"Are you guys really going to walk me home, down the street?" I asked exasperatedly as I turned around.

 

They nodded in response.

 

"There's nothing to do right now, so it's the least we could do," Baekhyun offered. 

 

I thought about asking them or saying something sarcastic about why they didn't just use the internet or watch a movie, but decided against it.

 

"Fine," I answered. "You can walk me down the street."

 

I reached the end of the street and made it to my house. The three of them would not leave, however, even as I reached my house. What an odd trio they were. I suppose I should have been flattered, because I had probably done nothing but embarrass myself in front of them, yet they would still try and stick around me. They seemed to be pretty nice, I guess. 

 

"Are you going to wait for me to get into my house before you leave?" I asked, even though I had already figured the answer to my question already.

 

"Yes," Sehun said, confirming my suspicions.

 

"How wonderful," I sighed. It wasn't like I was going to fall into a hole or get swept away by some tornado. But apparently these boys were as overprotective as my own father. 

 

I cut through the grassy lawn, but then stopped midway when all of a sudden, Luhan had called out my name. I figured it'd be another prank or weird thing the boys would do, but then it occurred to me that my hands were noticeably empty. Where did my phone go?

 

I turned to face Luhan. He gestured to Baekhyun, who held my phone and my water bottle. I walked over to get it from him, and then I walked back onto the lawn. 

 

At this moment, the sprinklers had unknowingly decided to turn on. They must have been malfunctioning, because then all of a sudden, they started getting really violent and crazy for a moment before turning off. I didn't even get the chance to run to the other side of the lawn with the short amount of time the sprinklers were on.

 

I looked down. The water had soaked through my shirt, revealing my very pink bra. Well, on the bright side, I didn't wear what my cousin had brought me from America. Those damn Victoria Secret Juicy shorts that she kept on giving me every Christmas since I was 13.

 

"Well, this is awkward," I said.