Beautiful Rags

He's My Princess

"Oh Prince Baekho! Grace my eyes with your moonbeam like smile again!"

"Oh my fair Rena, my smile is nothing compared to the dazzling sparkle of your eyes! Oh kiss me until the sun rises!"

"Shut. Up!!" I yelled frustrated and turned to look at my older brothers behind me. We were out helping father with some of the farm work by cleaning out the barn and chicken coop. Once we were done he would take us into town today to shop and see the sales on the cattle today. I was the only one really working though as for the past twenty minuets or so my numskull brothers had found satisfaction and entertainment in teasing me by role playing the Prince and I.

"Tsk tsk little Rena. Ladies don't yell" Jung-Hwa scolded, shaking his pointing finger for emphasis.

"You must be elegant for the Prince to like you." Myung-Dae added with a smirk. Both of them exchanged glances then erupted into a roar of laughter that startled some of the chickens that were in the coop still.

"You know what won't look or feel elegant? This up your !" I growled lifting up the pitchfork in my hand threateningly. It didn't seem to phase them though as their laughter ensued. I grunted annoyed and turned away to continue my work. Once this was done I could return inside and relax and help mother fix breakfast and ignore these two bumbling idiots.

Finally they seemed to calm down and, much to my enjoyment, they began to work again. Once everything was scooped into a wheel barrel to dump on the garden later and fresh straw was put in the chicken's nesting boxes, we were done. Humming I left Myung-Dae and Jung-Hwa a few paces back as we returned to the house. They had started up their antics again. Going as far to hold each others hands and pucker their lips toward each other. The walk to the house was a few minuets too long as the minuet we stepped inside the back door that led into the kitchen, I snapped.

"Ugh! Why are you two so obnoxious!?"

Of course the only response I was granted was that of laughter. Grinning they ruffled my hair and went off to do God knows what. I turned to see my mother smiling softly as well and she stirred a pan of fresh vegetables.

"Oh no... Not you too" I whined sitting down in one of the chairs and facing her.

"I think it's just cute."

"Them teasing me is cute?" I arched a brow at her and she rolled her eyes while shaking her head.

"No, you three getting along you be nice." she chuckled. "I think the stories they make up about you and the prince are cute."

"No, they're uncomfortable and weird." But I couldn't help but laugh as well. Despite all of their teasing and picking on me I loved my brothers and knew I could count on them. I stood and crossed the small cooking space to help her get plates and utensils prepared on the table.

"But you would make a good house wife like they tease you about." Her faded pink lips turned up into a loving smirk. I stuck my tounge out at her and finished setting the table then stood by the counter as my brothers and my father headed to the table with the help of a call from mother.

"Are you going into town with us today Ren?" My father grunted. He was a fairly tall, chiseled man. His skin was a bronze color from all his outside work and his teeth were a bit stained but straight for the most part. Despite his intimidating build he was kind, always ready to assist neighbors or openly show his love to his three sons.

"Of course." I smiled, wishing this question would stop being a routine. My brothers were always figured into the equation. But father seemed to see me as a bit more...delicate. I suppose part of it was my age and soft features, though I certainly had some muscle, and also due to the fact that when I was young I had always stayed home to help mom around the house. So father always asked if I wanted to accompany them with work in town.

"Is the coop clean?" He asked after a few bites of fresh eggs and pig from last months slaughters. Myung-Dae and Jung-Hwa nodded along with me as I sat down to eat as well, pouring my brothers drinks respectfully. My father grunted in approval.

After a fairly quiet breakfast my father hitched up out work horses to his wagon and my brothers and I climbed into the bed. On the way back we would must likely walk depending on what all we were to buy. The mile long ride was a repeat of earlier this morning with Jung-Hwa and Myung-Dae starting in again on me, twirling my hair and making kissy faces. My father hushed them once we were near town and we all got out.

Father took Myung-Dae and went to the cattle and horse auctions while Jung-Hwa and I walked more in-town to browse the fruits and vegetables that mother's garden hadn't supplied this season. It was no surprise when I turned around a few minuets after browsing to see that Jung-Hwa was no where I sight. I didn't mind though and simply went back to my task. Jung-Hwa had very little clue as to how to pick out good produce any way so whether he was here or not I would do the selecting no matter what.

With the basket handle comfortably nestled in the crook of my right arm, I wandered from stall to stall, making light conversation with some of the owners that were regular in the village as I shopped and haggled. Once I had acquired all we needed I wandered to the large water pool in the center of the town. I sat down on the edge and watched the older ladies of the village wash their family's clothes in the water and gossip then turned my face toward the sun, eyes closed, and let it's warmth soak into my skin.

"It won't be long until it grows colder."

My eyes snapped open at the abrupt comment and my sight was filled with Prince Baekho. Startled I pushed back away from him and with a very un-manly shriek I fell into the pool behind me.

"Rena! I'm sorry!" The prince gasped and struggled to help me out. Once on my own to feet I gently pushed him away and twisted the hem of my shirt to try and wring it out a bit. "I didn't mean to scare you." But a soft chuckle of amusement laced his apology.

I pursed my lips and rolled my eyes. Before I could make a snappy comment though about how talking to someone suddenly does tend to be frightening, realization hit me. I was currently standing before the Prince. In raggedy clothes. With a chest flatter than what I had at the ball due to the lack of secured water pouches. And before tens of people who had known me my whole life and knew very clearly that I was a male.

Quickly I snatched up my basket and clutched it to my chest naturally, as if I needed both arms to hold it as it was heavy. "Oh it's fine. A little water never hurt right?" I smiled keeping my voice soft and airy. I could tell people were beginning to notice the royal visitor and I had to act quickly. But the Prince had other plans, seemingly not noticing the attention.

"I'm terrible at talking to you and approaching you" he chuckled stepping closer. "I just soaked you." he smiled a bit embarrassed.

I paused for a second as he rubbed the back of his neck in an endearing matter. Wait! Focus Ren.

"Really it's fine Prince Baekho." I smiled and began to walk away. Whether he followed or not, I wanted into a less populated area. The less people, the better. Like a puppy, a nicely dressed puppy, he turned and followed at my side.

"That looks heavy. Let me help." He reached over and, before I could protest, relieved me of the full basket.

"Oh, um, thank you." I dipped my head politely and hoped he wouldn't notice my lack of bust as we strolled. "Um, may I ask why you're here?" I smiled, hoping that didn't come out too rude.

"I..." a shy smile graced his lips and he glanced quickly at me then away. "I wanted to find you. I missed you."

My lips parted in surprise and I turned to look at him. Was this boy for real? How could someone be so good looking and powerful and sweet all in one shot? This man was every girl's dream. I felt in a way like I was robbing some stuck up princess of her Prince Charming. But another part of me was beyond pleased that I had captured his attention.

He noticed my staring and shot me a gummy smile. Wetting my lips with my tounge I turned my gaze straight again. "That's very sweet. I'm actually surprised you still like me." I admitted truthfully. Why was it so easy to act the part of some silly love-struck girl around him?

"What do you mean?" He tilted his head a bit as he looked at me and I stopped walking.

"My Prince, I just figured once you saw what a true peasant I was that you would move on." I explained.

The other sighed softly then smiled and set down the basket before turning to face me and take my hands in his larger ones. "The other night at the ball my feelings were confirmed. Sure I think you look extra beautiful when you're in new clothes with your hair done up. But I also think you look beautiful like this, in your brother's old clothes. I fell for you because of your compassion toward the other townsfolk and the children. Because of your soft smile and deep brown eyes. Rena I don't care what your social status is. I like you."

Something stirred inside me as he spoke. I had always been teased for my slim figure and long blonde hair. But now here was this amazing, handsome, kind man telling me that he was in love with me. Warmth flowed through me and his affectionate gaze was too strong to meet directly. Baekho was the physical definition of perfect yet he was fawning over someone like me. I felt honored. And I felt truly wanted and adored under his gaze.

But I also felt guilty. Baekho loved Rena. And although mine and Rena's personalities were very much similar, our genders were very much different. How would the Prince react if he found out that I wasn't exactly who he thought I was? I glanced at my father;s cart and our old mule off down the road we were currently standing in. This was for all well-being- for the betterment of our lives. And right now Baekho seemed happy. If the truth were come out, not only would I let down my family, but I knew that I would also break Baekho's heart. And maybe my own. For now I had to push aside the guilt and focus on the warmth this man radiated.

Smiling I stepped up to him and kissed his cheek, watching his face melt into surprise then into an even happier state.

"I like you too Prince-"

"Baekho. Just Baekho is fine." he interjected. I gave a soft roll of my eyes then began again.

"I like you too Baekho."

"Rena! Darling! Time to go!" the soft surprise in my father's calling of my name made me chuckle inwardly. He must have been surprise to see me standing in the street holding hands with the Prince.

"Oh.... It looks like we have to part again." He frowned softly then lifted a hand to cup my cheek. "Tomorrow I wish to send for you and have you brought to the castle. For our date." He explained at my look of surprised confusion. "Don't worry about getting dressed up." He added before completely removing his touch from me.

I nodded in agreement and grabbed the basket of produce before hurrying to my father, nearly dropping it in my haste to get to the cart and away from this fairytale of a man. My father and brothers hammered me with questions but I kept silent and let my mind wander.

Just what was I getting myself into?