How the dream begins.. (Part 1)

Promenade

Promenade, it is indeed every girl's dream.

Electrical lights can deceive your eyes into magical lights only in fairytale do exist. Swaying gowns, cheeks painted with lots of variations of make-ups, lips so red; those were the typical norms of girls when promenade comes.

And you can tell, everyone anticipates for it. Not me.

 

I had this intuition that I will just spend most of my time, catching glimpse on every couple dancing around as if they were just two of them in the world. But it's not like it's uninevitable, you can hardly avoid it. My bestfriend, Hyunki, is currently pursuing me to go on this anticipated event on the phone.

 

"Yah Park Jisoo, how can you be this ridiculous? Didn't you know that it's every girl's dream?" My bestfriend scolded me. I was used to her demeanor like this, it's not that she's being rude to me. It's just a proof how bestfriends are comfortable with each other that you find those words normal as it is.

"Hyunki, you know that I'm not that great when it comes to socializing. I think the only one who can last a converstaion with me is you." I sincerely stated.

"But I don't have someone to accompany with."

"Hyunki, I know you. Unlike me, who doesn't have guts on socializing with other people, you are completely contrast with me. I mean, you can mingle with them as long as you want. And you have.." Suddenly, I got trailed off with my words.

"I have?"

"You have Kai." I continued it for her.

 

And it suddenly struck me the reason why my words trailed off, it was because Kai was my former crush but that was long time ago. But truthfully enough, I was also a normal person. I can't let myself not to gone mad after what she had done. But after she had said her sincere apologies, we reconcile with each other as bestfriends. 

 

"Oh, sorry. But that's another story. But you are my bestfriend!! I can't be completely happy, knowing there's someone's lacking. And hey, aren't we continuing our plan to hide some food under our gowns?" She joked. It made me chuckle. 

 

This was one thing that belongs to the list of my weaknesses: If someone pleads me desperately, I can't let myself to say no. It's like I''m constraining myself to say yes.

 

"Ok ok. Ms. Min Hyunki, It's like I was left with a choice." I stated in defeat. A squeal suddenly echoed on my ear from the phone, offcourse the sound were from my bestfriend.

"So it means, you're going?"

"Do I have a choice?" With that, it gain a chuckle from her.

"I'm so gonna get many food and store it under my gown for you!!" She chirped then laughed at her own humour, yielding the same response from me.

"Ok, I'll hang this up. You know.. we don't have enought time to prepare! I expect that our 'food-storing' mission will be accomplished. Bbbye!!" I ended up with animating kiss sounds.

"Bbye friend!" She blew a kiss on the phone. With a few moments, I hang the phone up. 

 

I checked the time on our wall clock, and there is only 6 hours and 30 minutes for me to prepare. Not like I'm feeling high about it, it;s just that I'm only doing this for my beloved bestfriend. 

 

---

 

And the time has come, I am now standing right infront on the entrance door of this massive function room. I was dressed in a lavender-colored semi gown reaching my knee. It does have slit on the center that makes me uncomfortable.

I wasn't used on showing off some flesh of my body, even my legs. But my mom insist on making me wore this dress, she once said ahile ago that I should show some flesh even just this once. 

And my weakness on people pleading me with their wishes won over my own desire.

 

My hair was clipped on a formal bun with my bangs swept neatly on the side. My mom also noted me that I should act as a modest woman when attending events like this so she didn't forot me to bring a sliver purse bag only I have seen just this day.

It shimmers brightly, reflecting the lights outside the function room. And it struck to me that I'm already standing here and there were no space to turn back anymore.

 

"Jisoo-ah!!" Somebody yelled under my back, quite distant from me. I spun around, only to see my bestfriend having her smile sticks on her face. She then strode down going through my direction before hugging me ever so tightly.

"You really did this for me!!" She hugged me even tighter. I released myself from her's.

"Aish aish! You know, we can't enjoy this moment if we just stand here and hug each other." I sarcastically remarked. She just shook her head.

 

With our arms locking with each other, we went unto the Registration Area ro register our names. After having registered our names, we walked together on the grassy land outside the Function room. Whilst walking, my shoes stumbled upon a thing laying on the grass. I stop on my tracks then kneel down to see what might be the thing is.

 

It's a necklace with it's pendant having the resemblance of number '8'. I then took the necklace with my hands then slid it inside my bag, I'll just search for it's owner after the event.

The moment we took a step infront of the door of Function Room, many students welcomed Hyunki but didn't even mind to acknowledge me(even though some of them is). But I understand it, she's just being friendly.

 

----

 

Once we were all settled, the program begun with the school's dean's speech. After his speech, lots of programs were being held that just makes me bored. Until this mini pageant by the name Mr. and Ms. Js(Mr. and Ms. Junior, Senior) whom the school organized finally has it's turn to begin. It had diminished my enthusiasm to went home.

And I suddenly realize that it wasn't just me who felt this way, but also the audience around me. They all applauded showing their ecstatic feeling towards the show.

 

And as cliche as it looks, the stage was filled with familiar faces of noble queenkas and kingkas with their grand gowns and suits.

One had caught my eye on the stage, not because he's undoubtedly good-looking but because my senses can feel that he's starring at me. You know that feeling, when you can actually feel that someone's starring at you. I quickly looked away, I suddenly felt uneasy and.. awkward. 

 

The boy was Nam Woohyun. And he goes with his peers with their name "Infinite". And obviously, he's one of those elite Kingkas on our school. When I said elite, it means he's not just good-looking but he's also rich. And it's a definite evidence on his suite right now. We were classmates, but barely knew and talked with each other.

 

My seat is 5 row distant away from him and I'm not that type of person who communicates that much with a massive number of people, even with my classmates. But I constantly see him with many people around him, and it's not questionable because he was also a sociable person who can get friends easily with just a single talk.

 

Hyunki nodge my arms to catch my attention, telling me to pay attention on the show. I then centered all my attention on the stage, avoiding Nam Woohyun's gaze. Moments after, the MCs finally declared the winners. Minhyul, one of the gorgeous queenka took it's place as the winner for girls. Meanwhile, Daemyun attains his victory for the boys.

 

I gazed at Nam Woohyun who was also one of the contestants. Judging from his looks, he look unsatisfied and disconcerted. But I knew he was not alone on what he felt. Some of his supporter's had the same face as him. It clearly proves that many people has their high hopes for Woohyun.

 

He went back on his peers, they all as if nothing had just happen. But I knew, behind those smiles, they were also trying to conceal their symphathy towards their friend. One had caught my attention, I squinted my eyes to see a fuller view on what I was eyeing for.. All of his friends wore the identical necklace that I took on the grassy land moments ago, so I assumed one of them owns this.

So it will not give me a hard-time to give this to them, I can give this when classes resume. 

 

I again starred at him just to test something, but he didn't even took an effort to starred back. Maybe the few seconds that he's been starring awhile ago meant nothing to him. Maybe I was just being illusional over the fantasies I assumed that meant something. And it was a painful slap on how reality differs from fantasies. And that reality says that somebody will never like me.

 

I drew imaginary circles by my fingertips on the glass of water infront of me to help me distract on my thoughts. Hyunki came asking me why do I act peculiar, but I just shook it and didn't said why I'm acting strange. I don't want the mood to tore and I can tell her when classes starts but not now.

 

---

 

After what seems like forever, the faculty finally allowed the students to have some fun. This meant we can dance around as what our wishes desire. And I bet 99% of the people here anticipates for this part more than the whole program. And the remaining 1% is me. I just want to go home and slip off with my pyjamas where I can be just what am I.

 

Where pretension isn't required. Where you're not pressured to act as modest woman. Where you can act what you just want to act without people judging you. Where you can just be you. As what my intuition says, I sat here starring on how couples acts as if they were just two of them in the world.

 

Somebody poked me in, I peered on my back to see who might be the person. It's Hyunki with her hands interlaced with Kai. I somehow felt uneasy to watch them being mushy with each other, knowing he was my former crush so I forced myself to only stare at Hyunki.

 

"Hey, we'll just dance. Are you okay here?" She asked with obviously tone of concern. I nodded. She signalled me to come closer to her, I then obliged.

"Go find your date!" She hissed.

 

I slap her bare arms jokingly. She just responded with a chuckle before Kai took her hands with him. I watch their retrieving figures slowly getting hazy. It suddenly hit me that, that scene was a subtle evidence that I still felt the familiar pain whenever I see her with Kai. But with the positive note, that familiar pain subsides little by little. 

 

TO BE CONTINUED