Cheating

Best Friends

 

Taemin didn’t know what to think. He was desperate but he really didn’t think he’d ever resort to this. He didn’t want to but he felt like he had no choice.

 

He was going to cheat. On his math test.

 

He had studied for the test all night but he didn’t understand any of it. Absolutely nothing made sense. All he saw were numbers but he didn’t know what to do with them. The formulas were confusing and made his brain hurt.

 

Taemin walked into the math room the next day and sat at his designated seat, getting out his sharpest pencil from his bag and some scratch paper. He was lucky he didn’t sit in the front row otherwise he’d definitely fail.

 

He was also fortunate to sit directly behind the smartest person in this class and even more lucky to have the perfect view of his paper.

 

“You have until the end of the period to finish,” Mr. Gu said, passing around the small packet of paper that were the test. “If you do not finish, there will not be any other chance to make it up. So do your best.”

 

Taemin received his blank test and wrote his name at the top.

 

“You may begin…now.”

 

And so Taemin did, well more accurately the person in fron of him—Chen— did.

 

Taemin swiftly wrote down the answers down, making sure to look at his own paper for a little while so he didn’t appear suspicious. He was slightly amazed at how quickly Chen worked; he must have been a real genius.

 

By the end of the period, Taemin was feeling relaxed. At least he knew his B wouldn’t drop down to a C in this class.

 

 

 

 

The next day, Taemin was to receive his test back and see how well he did. He was sort of jittery with excitement. He was highly anticipating the impressive grade marked wit red pen on his paper.

 

But when everyone had received their tests back, Taemin had nothing. He was disappointed. Maybe Mr. Gu didn’t grade all the tests yet and just simply didn’t finish grading his.

 

“Taemin, I’d like for you to stay after class,” Mr. Gu said to him after passing the tests out in a condescending voice.

 

Taemin sulked his shoulders and felt his forehead collect with cold sweat.

 

He was in trouble.

 

 

 

 

Class ended and everyone left for their next period, Taemin slowly rose from his desk and cautiously made his way to Mr. Gu’s front desk. Mr. Gu was grading more papers and whatnot, not acknowledging Taemin’s presence. Taemin stood the awkwardly, waiting for Mr. Gu to talk to him.

 

“Do you know why I wanted to keep you here?” Mr. Gu said suddenly, still not looking up from his look.

 

Taemin did know why the teacher wanted him there but he didn’t want to admit that he knew, feeling guilty. “No, sir,” he said quietly.

 

Mr. Gu sighed in frustration. He reached into a folder and pulled out a paper with no red marks on it—Taemin’s test. Mr. Gu handed it to Taemin, the boy feeling a sense of dread.

 

“What do you see?”

 

“Um…,” Taemin muttered, “My test.”

 

“What about it?”

 

“There’s no markings on it.”

 

“Precisely,” Mr. Gu agreed. “Now why do you think that is?”

 

Taemin didn’t answer. He didn’t want to answer. He was having a mini panic attack, completely frozen and his heart racing.

 

“You didn’t show your work,” Mr. Gu pointed out. “The answers are there but there’s no work. There’s not even a paper with the steps attached to the test.”

 

Taemin nodded.

 

“Why didn’t you show your work?”

 

“I don’t know, sir.”

 

Taemin was putting off the punishment for as long as he could. He was far too ashamed of himself.

 

“Look at the first problem and explain to me what you did to solve it,” Mr. Gu ordered, looking at Taemin expectantly.

 

Taemin looked at the first problem and tried to make sense of it. What the hell was this? It didn’t make any sense. What does he do with the negative four? And the y variable was just there

 

“Well? Can you explain it?”

 

Taemin sighed heavily, blinking embarrassed tears from his eyes. “I…I don’t know, sir,” he admitted guiltily.

 

Mr. Gu took the test from Taemin’s hand and ripped it in half. He gave Taemin a long, hard look, deciding what to do. Taemin was trying not to break down in tears. He was so ashamed and embarrassed and scared. He wanted to cry.

 

“You get detention for a week, starting today after school. Also, I’m changing you B grade to an F. I’ll raise it when you do well on the next test without cheating,” Mr. Gu determined, filling out a detention sheet on his desk. He finished writing on it and gave it to Taemin, “This is where it’s being held this week. Give it to the teacher so he knows you’ll be there every day.”

 

“I’m sorry, sir,” Taemin murmured quietly.

 

“Too late for that but just don’t do it again,” his teacher warned him. “Get to class now.”

 

Taemin bowed respectfully and scurried out of there quickly but didn’t go to his next class. He couldn’t go there today. No, he ran to the bathroom and hid in a stall, crying.

 

He punished himself, asking why he did such a stupid thing. All he could even think about was how disappointed his father would be when he found out about this.

 

He was never going to do something stupid like cheating ever again. 

 

 


so yeah don't cheat. it's very bad. 

Sorry i haven't updated the past few days. I was hosting a student from Japan but she had to leave this morning >,< sad day. 

Please comment. subscribe, and upvote ^^