Chapter 2

그 남자 [HIATUS]

 

 

 

                “I don’t get it, what’s with your sister?” Jonghyun threw himself back to the couch as soon as Jessica left the room. “I don’t think I am that hate-able.”

                “Don’t ask me,” Krystal responded. “I’m the one who is clueless about you two.”

                Jonghyun made some incoherent mumbling noise which Krystal decided to ignore. She sat at her couch once again, and stared at Jonghyun who is staring blankly at the fireplace.

                “Jonghyun Oppa?” Krystal called and Jonghyun blinked a few times, without looking away. “What did really happen between you and my sister?”

                Jonghyun sighed upon he heard the question. He stood up and left Krystal dumbfounded. “I’ll be going.”

**

                Jessica was cursing that Kim Jonghyun as soon as she reached her car. She ordered her driver to drive to a night-café, designed in a semi-club style, which is located around 7 blocks from her apartment. That night café is her best friend, Tiffany’s favorite place. It’s owned by another good friend of hers, Ok Taecyeon.

                As soon as she reached the place, she walked in the café, just like usual. The sound of her heels was able to be softly heard at the faint voice of a fast-beat jazz music from the stage. She strolled her eyes all over the room, to search for the figure she was looking for.

                Jessica was unable to find Tiffany, so she took out her phone and pressed speed dial number 8.

                No one picked up.

                Jessica tried to dial the number once again, but instead of getting an answer from Tiffany, she got a pair of arm wrapped in her small waist. “Were you looking for me?” a heavy-familiar voice was heard and Jessica struggled from the sudden contact.

                “Ok Taecyeon, how many times do I have to say that you are not allowed to back-hugged me like that?” Jessica crossed her arms and glared at Taecyeon, who was smirking at her. Jessica couldn’t help but to let out a grin as well.

                “Sorry, can’t help it,” Taecyeon winked at Jessica. He said it in fluent English, which made Jessica rolled her eyes.

                “So did Tiffany come?” Jessica asked straight to the point, in Korean.

                “So you just come here to look for Tiffany?” Taecyeon asked back and Jessica nodded. “I am disappointed,” Taecyeon clicked his tongue and Jessica chuckled at his action.

                “You want me to look for you?” Jessica asked and Taecyeon nodded slowly, with a confident smile on his face. “In your dream, buddy,” Jessica said in English while winking back at Taecyeon.

                “I’ll give you some free drinks, what do you want?” Taecyeon offered his arm to Jessica, and Jessica gladly linked her arm to his. It’s not the first time they’re acting like this, they’re just too used to the western-behavior.

                “I guess a little alcohol won’t be much harm?” Jessica said.

                Taecyeon ordered some drinks as soon as Jessica sat on one of the seats and Taecyeon immediately sat next to her after he ordered.

                “So how’s business?” Jessica asked as soon as Taecyeon suited himself to his seat.

                “Not bad, it’s been less crowded though lately,” Taecyeon replied and Jessica nodded. She took a sip of her drink as soon as the waiter put two glasses of clear liquids in front of them.

                “What brings you here anyway?” it’s Taecyeon’s time to ask.

                “Well, just say that I miss Tiffany,” Jessica said.

                Taecyeon drank a few gulps and faced Jessica. “The reason is too weak.”

                Jessica sighed.

                “Is it?”

                Taecyeon nodded. “You won’t come here alone. And furthermore, you won’t order any alcohol. I know how much you committed yourself to work, so you don’t want to get drunk, which may leads into some hangover?”

                “You know me too well, Ok Taecyeon,” Jessica chuckled and Taecyeon smiled.

                “So…?”

                “So… Nothing actually,” Jessica lied. Something has been bothering her, but she doesn’t know exactly what’s been a bother to her. This happens a lot. And she might know the reason, she’s just too afraid to admit. Taecyeon sighed at her reply, feeling dissatisfied with Jessica’s answer.

                “Okay, maybe I am stressing because of something,” Jessica bit her lower lip. “It’s…,” she paused, “because of my work.”

                Taecyeon nodded before sipping his drink. “It must have been though?”

                “Yeah, I saw dad worked as the president and it didn’t seem that hard. His job was only to sign stuffs he likes, I thought. But it was much more complicated than that,” Jessica added.

                “True. Especially the fact that you are a girl. Handling a huge company like yours is pretty hard, I think,” Taecyeon responded.

                “Is that why you didn’t want to inherit your father’s company?” Jessica asked and Taecyeon nodded slowly.

                Truth be told, it was not the reason why Taecyeon didn’t want to inherit the company. There was a more complicated reason. A reason which should not be told at the moment.

                Jessica stood up and excused herself to the restroom. As soon as she left, Taecyeon ordered more drinks for him and he sighed right after the waiter’s leaving.

                “It’s actually because of you, Jessica Jung…,” Taecyeon mumbled before finishing his glass.

**

                Jessica woke up the next morning with a light headache. She didn’t get too drunk last night, but after having a bottle of alcohol which she hadn’t had for the past years, made her dizzy. She walked to her kitchen and drank a hot lemon tea which was served by her maid earlier. She drank it slowly and it made her dizziness slowly went away. She grabbed her phone and pressed speed dial number 7 before placing her phone next to her right ear.

                “Hello?”

                Jessica, who was still half-conscious, suddenly awake because she heard a different voice from what she expected. Jessica pulled away her phone to see the screen of her phone.

                Little Jung

            She read the contact name slowly. It’s really Krystal’s number then. But who picked up?

                “Hello?” the voice spoke again, which made Jessica moved her phone closed to her ear once again. “Hello? Jessica, isn’t it?”

                By the way that person called her name, she immediately knew who it was.

                “You!” Jessica raised her voice. “What are you doing with my sister’s phone? Did you stay over or something?”

                Jonghyun scoffed at Jessica’s speculation. “Yah, I have manners, I won’t stay over at a random girl’s house.”

                “Who knows?”

                “Whatever. So just let me drop the phone by your office this afternoon, okay?” Jonghyun said and Jessica was still a bit blurring about the situation.

                “Wait,” Jessica cut. “Explain the situation.”

                Jonghyun groaned. “Krystal’s phone just happened to be in my pocket.”

**

                “I’ll get that,” Krystal stood up to open the door. Jonghyun, who was still trying to make himself warm, was staring at the fireplace for a minute. But then he looked away, to his left. He saw a coffee table, with some scattered girl-magazines, a glass of water, and next to the glass was a cellphone. Krystal’s cellphone.

                Jonghyun reached out his hand to grab Krystal’s phone and he started exploring Krystal’s phone. He saw some pictures of Krystal’s selcas, also Krystal and her friend’ photos, there were some Krystal’s photo shoot photos. But he stopped at the picture of Krystal and Jessica, who sat next to each other, with bodies facing each other, but faces straight to the camera. It was some kind of a formal photo with a dark background, but both of the girls looked gorgeous.

                The girl on the left was the older one. Her long brunette hair was curled, with a few strands of her hair clipped behind her ears. She was wearing a pure white dress, which was a strapless knee-length dress. She sat straight with her hands rested on her knees. Her lips was forming a smile- a soft one. Jonghyun examined the figure very well.

                “You don’t look that old if you smile like that,” he mumbled to himself before examining the other figure in the photo.

                The girl on the right was tilting her head a bit to the back with a mysterious smile plastered on her face. She had her hair slightly waved and put all of the strands of her hair at one side. She was wearing a pale-white dress, which was also a knee-length dress. She was holding a small yet simple bouquet of baby breath flower on her hands. Jonghyun took his time examining this figure too.

                When Jonghyun was about to switch to the next photo, but his hand stopped, making him unable to switch to the next photo. He felt something weird inside of him. Then after a while he realized it was his heartbeat. It was beating unevenly. He stared to the picture for some more time. He was getting curious…

                “You!” a yell was heard from Jonghyun’s back. He turned around, while he was unconsciously putting his hands to his pockets. “What are you doing here?”

                Jonghyun stood up to face Jessica.

                “Jessica, I can explain,” Jonghyun said, trying to save himself.

                That’s when the drama started.

                But as soon as Jessica left, Jonghyun had a small talk with Krystal.

                “Jonghyun Oppa, what did really happen between you and my sister?” Krystal asked, when the place was only left with only the two of them.

                Jonghyun sighed, stood up from his position, and he bid goodbye just like that, leaving Krystal dumbfounded.

                He closed the door to Krystal’s apartment, then he leaned to the door. He let out another sigh, a louder one.

                “To whom did my heart beat for?” he mumbled, and left before letting out another heavy sigh.

                                                                                                                     **