Chapter 1

그 남자 [HIATUS]

               “President Jung,” Jessica lifted her head from the documents she was reading, facing a suit-wearing older man, who was standing in front of her working table. “You have a meeting in 10 minutes,” he reminded.

                “I remember that, I’ll be there in 5,” Jessica said with a cold expression. She was tired, actually. Work had been though on her, because one of her fashion line’s new product hasn’t come yet. Yet, it was time to release the new season’s clothing line.

                After her secretary left her office, she closed her documents and headed to the meeting room. As usual, all of her employees greeted her and she just walked pass through them, with a soft yet charming smile. She sat at her regular meeting chair, facing all of her employees. The meeting started a while after Jessica came.

                “So what’s the problem?” Jessica started the meeting and one of the employees spoke up. It was Mrs. Hwang, the head of the season planner team, who is also Jessica’s best friend Tiffany’s mother.

                “Kim’s Fashion Line’s new products for the season have not arrived yet. We’ve tried contacting Mr. Kim, but it’s very hard to reach him. From our resources, we found out that not only our department store which haven’t received the products yet, but all companies selling their products haven’t received the products yet,” explained Ms. Hwang.

                “Then why do we have to call a meeting for that?” Jessica asked in an annoyed tone. She thought that this meeting is stupid.

                “We already paid Kim’s Fashion Line for the new products, so I think that this is a little bit unacceptable. They should have sent it on time,” Mr. Go added and Jessica just nodded.

                “Just accept the fact that their products are late. Try to contact Mr. Kim’s secretary or what-so-ever, tell them that if it’s late by a week, they will have to pay some charges,” Jessica suggested and no one seemed to disagree with her.

                “But then we can’t release the other’s product?” Mr. Kang asked.

                “Mr. Kang, how much percentage of Kim’s Fashion Line’s sales for last season?” Jessica asked back and Mr. Kang quickly opened his document. He checked the last season’s sales percentage.

                “Twenty three point eight-percent,” he answered.

                “Just twenty three point eight? Then I guess we could live with releasing the other products first,” Jessica said.

                “So we don’t release Kim’s Fashion Line’s product this season?” Mr. Jo added and Jessica almost rolled her eyes in annoyance.

                “We can just release the product late. It’s not like people had already waited for them,” Jessica said and everyone nodded in agreement, signing that the meeting is over.

**

                Jessica stepped into her penthouse which is located in the center of Seoul. She threw her purse to the couch and ordered some refreshment to her maid. She sat on the couch beside her purse, facing the glass window, which was showing the night-light of Seoul.

                “Madam, young miss-Jung came here earlier,” Jessica’s maid said as soon as she finished placing a glass of orange juice in the coffee table in front of Jessica.

                “Soojung?”

                “Yes, Ma’am.”

                After her maid left her, she quickly took out her phone and pressed the speed dial number 7, which was her sister, Krystal. After a few tones, Krystal answered the phone.

                “Yah, why did you come earlier?” Jessica said as soon as Krystal picked up the phone. Krystal chuckled at her sister.

                “Can’t I visit my sister’s flat?” Krystal replied over the phone.

                “Of course you can, but there must be a reason,” Jessica said before sipping her glass of orange juice.

                “Well, I just miss my sister, Jung Sooyeon,” Krystal chuckled. “Oh, wait, sis, I got another call. I’ll call you back later,” Krystal said before she hung up.

**

                “Hello?” Krystal answered her new call.

                “Kryssie?” a familiar voice was heard through the phone.

                “Jonghyun Oppa?”

                “Yeah, it’s me.”

                “Why did my phone didn’t recognize your number?”

                “I changed my number.”

                “Why?”

                Jonghyun coughed awkwardly while Krystal just stayed quiet, waiting for Jonghyun’s reply.

                “Where are you now?” Jonghyun asked.

                “My apartment, why?” Krystal asked back.

                “I’ll come over in 15 minutes,” Jonghyun said before he hung up the phone.

                Krystal just stared at her phone blankly. She stood up and headed to the fridge. She grabbed a bottle of water and drank it.

                “Jonghyun Oppa sounded weird,” she mumbled to herself before drinking another gulp of water. She took out her cell phone once again and typed some text in English.

                                To : Sooyeon Eonni <3
                                Sorry, can’t call back. Call ya next time, sis ;)

                After she sent the message, her doorbell rang. She immediately headed to the door and opened it. A familiar figure was shivering outside, so Krystal immediately invited him in.

                “Jonghyun Oppa, are you okay?” she asked as she followed him from behind. Jonghyun, who had known the place very well, quickly heading to the couch near the fireplace. Krystal sat on the single couch near him.

                “Yeah, I’m fine, Krys,” he said as he was shivering.

                “It must be cold outside,” Krystal added and Jonghyun just grinned at her. “What were you doing this late at night in the cold outside?”

                Jonghyun sighed hearing Krystal’s question. “My family and I got kicked out of our home.”

                Krystal was too shock until she couldn’t help herself making a loud-“what!?” sound.

                Jonghyun slowly nodded. “Yeah, Kim’s Fashion Line is officially going through bankruptcy.”

                Krystal reached out her hand to pat Jonghyun’s shoulder softly, and with her action Jonghyun smiled softly at her. “I’m sorry about that,” Krystal said.

                Jonghyun chuckled at the situation. “Don’t feel sorry. It’s my father’s fault, I guess. He depended to your father too much back then. Now that your sister’s taking over the company, there’s no one to depend to.”

                “Is my sister really that bad in running the company?” Krystal asked and Jonghyun chuckled again.

                “She’s not bad,” Jonghyun answered. “Not bad at all actually… for her own company.”

                “What do you mean?”

                “She’s actually taking care of the company very well, but unlike your father, she only cares about her company. She doesn’t care about other companies that actually support her business.”

                Krystal was still nodding slowly at Jonghyun’s words, trying to digest each word he had said, when suddenly her doorbell rang again.

                “I’ll get that,” Krystal stood up and Jonghyun just nodded. Krystal ran to the door and opened it.

                “Sis, what are you doin’ here?” Krystal asked, in English. English is the Jung Family’s main language, so they never really used Korean to each other.

                “Checkin’ up on you,” Jessica stepped in and hung her coat in the hanger near the door, as usual, she headed to the living room and saw Jonghyun was sitting on the couch, facing the fireplace, staring blankly.

                “You!” Jessica yelled. “What are you doing here?”

                Jonghyun stood up from his seat and saw Jessica was pointing at him. Behind her was Krystal, who was confused seeing the scene.

                “Jessica, I can explain,” Jonghyun defended himself.

                “Jessica? Who are you calling ‘Jessica’? Should I remind you that I am Ms. Jung, the president of Jung’s Department Store?” Jessica raised her tone and Jonghyun rolled his eyes.

                “We’re not even at work, chill,” he said and Jessica was boiling even more in anger.

                “Then you should at least call me Jessica-ssi,” Jessica replied.

                “I don’t feel like it,” Jonghyun answered carelessly and Jessica groaned.

                “Fine. The main point is that why are you here?”

                “I invited him over, sis,” Krystal lied for Jonghyun’s safety, in English.

                “Why did you even invite him over?” Jessica replied in English as well, making Jonghyun confused at the conversation.

                “I need a friend,” Krystal grinned and Jessica rolled her eyes.

                “Cut off the English conversation,” Jonghyun cut them off and Jessica glared at him in response.

                “Fine, then I’m leaving,” Jessica walked away from the living room and grabbed her coat before leaving her sister’s apartment.

**