Blind Setup

Memoirs

 

Based off of: The talk cut edited out of Bom and Dara's appearance on Strong Heart. They talked about Se7en's tactic with Park Hanbyul about the blind date and Bom mentioned that GD did the same thing. Sadly, that segment got cut out of the actual episode. 

We all can't help but wonder...

 

 

 

"I recently obtained my Masters in Animal Science and I plan on doing field work in a matter of months. My family was against it from the start, but once they realized how much I loved it, they accepted it. After all, they are my parents. Whatever I do will reflect upon them as well. It's not like we have a huge flow of cash being wired to our accounts every single minute of the day. It's so bad to the point that we can't even get a full night's rest without the bankers calling complaining that we are exceeding the maximum capacity of the amount of money a person can have. So then, we have multiple accounts here and there and it just never stops." 

 

And so does your mouth. Seriously. I agreed to this thinking that it would be fun and being a bit naive and gullible, I not once hesitated in coming here tonight. The event had cheekily been called, "The Lonely Hearts." If that weren't desperate enough, I don't know what is. Out of the kindness of my heart, I listened to him ramble on about his successes and his family's wealth. It had only been a minute and not once had I gotten the chance to say anything.

 

"If you plan on leaving to do field work, why are you here? I would assume you're looking for something serious if you-"

 

"Ten seconds!" The head of the night announced and from what I saw as I scanned all of the other set-ups, they were all rushing to exchange numbers and slip in more information about themselves. He stared at me as if I were some alien or something. I don't have anything in my teeth, right? Well, I don't think so. And I highly doubt that my question is irrational. If this is called the Lonely Hearts, wouldn't the participants be in search of settling down and being in an actual relationship, hoping to marry the person?

 

"I-I-" He stuttered. "Time for me to move on! It was nice meeting you, Miss Park Bom." He awkwardly slid off of his seat and inched backwards towards the next table to my right. 

 

"It was nice to meet you too" I waved him goodbye. Yep. He's definitely not ready for anything serious. There's potential, but not for me. 

 

As I awaited the next person to arrive, I propped my elbows onto the table's surface and nodded towards the waitress to refill my glass of iced tea. Tapping my heel against the wooden floor, my phone rang. I reached into my black purse and hurriedly dug through it. It's the person that sent me here in the first place.

 

"Noona, how are things going?"

 

"Horrible. I'm already on the fifth person and there's no one that's caught my interest. It's either they're too outspoken and like to brag a lot or I'm the one keeping the conversation going." I sighed. This was fun in the beginning, but now I'm starting to get tired. Especially since the person I'm supposed to be on a speed date with decided to pick up and leave with one of the girls. Great. He tried sneaking out as if I weren't watching him from the corner of my eye. Sneaky little bi-

 

"Blind dates are fun! Come on, just a few more and maybe you'll find someone you actually like talking to. Don't have standards through the roof because you'll just end up disappointing yourself in the end. Don't do that, noona. Call me back when you get your break. Enjoy!" He seemed to be in a rush; there was no bye or anything. Just a pattern of beeps indicating the other end of the line went dead. 

 

"Next!" The two minutes were over and now I finally had a new 'date' to look forward to. He looked a bit younger than I did and thankfully, our ages were to remain a secret unless we wanted to reveal it. It's not that I'm being a liar, I just don't want to be judged instantly by the year I was born in. As my caller said earlier, it's going to be fun. Nothing else. Oh, and not to have expectations through the roof. I swear, it's like he knows every little detail about me to the tee. It's a bit of a relief because it saves me from having to talk a lot yet it's freaky knowing that he knows so much.

 

"Hi, it's nice to meet you." I stood to my feet and flattened the creases on the short black dress that my set-up had carefully chosen and insisted that I wear for the night. He held his hand out and I reciprocated the action.

 

"Nice to meet you." I took my seat first and for what seemed like the entire time we were allotted, he sat there quietly. Absolute silence. I watched as he nervously picked the hem of his dress jacket and flexed his fingers more than necessary. 

 

"So," I started off. "What brings you here?" He looked up at me with eyes wide that I felt that mines were the same as well. 

 

"Uhh…" His eyes fluttered. I'm afraid he might suffer from an anxiety attack or something. That's the least that I need right now. "My-I-Uh….My f-friend…I-I'm lonely. Yeah, I'm lonely." 

 

"I see." I flashed him a smile. At least he was able to make a sentence out of words instead of something completely incoherent. "What are your hobbies?"

 

"H-Hobbies?" I nodded. "I like to….sing. And, music. I love music." Finally, a common ground with someone. Even if he's stumbling over every other word, talking about music and singing is one of my most favorite topics. As well as a few other things.

 

"Really? I'm currently a trainee for YG to become a singer. Are you planning on breaking it into the entertainment industry as well?" 

 

"I'm not that good." He shrugged. He's definitely being humble. One of the things I like in a person.

 

"Sing for me." I demanded, definitely shocking him. He stared up at me with his eyes wide once again. 

 

"I'm not that good." He repeated. The stuttering had subsided and it was clear that he's holding back the urge to belt out lyrics like there's no tomorrow.

 

"Time!" The bell rung and I sulked. I was about to hear him sing. Damn it. 

 

"I really want to hear you sing sometime. For me." I said as we stood to our feet. I don't even know where that sense of bravery and demand came from, but that's what's actually making him consider taking down my number.

 

"I don't think that's a good idea." He's hiding something, I can feel it. "I have to go. Bye!" It was as if he were told to say those things and he rushed out of the place before I could say another word. What is up with them running away from me?! Am I that bad?

 

 

 

"Everybody left and even the officials are staring at me with nothing but pity in their eyes." I remained at my designated table while the staff gave me personal space to sulk. 

 

"I think there's one person left. Noona, I said that I'd set you up on a blind date and I'm sticking to my promise. Just be patient." He assured me.

 

"But there's no one here! Just me, the officials, and the staff of the restaurant." 

 

"No, I'm certain there's one more that you haven't met yet. I really hope you like him because I picked him out personally."

 

"Really? What's his name?" Now this is getting good. The mystery date being handpicked? Oh hell, I need to see him for myself.

 

"I won't tell you anything other than this: he's really close to me and please don't be too harsh on the guy."

 

"Fine. I'll be waiting for him."

 

"Good." We hung up on one another again. I swear, he's going to pay for my phone bill this month. 

 

"Bom, we'll be leaving now. Thank you for participating in this. We'll see you next week." The mixed group of women and men, about a couple of years older than I am, gathered all of their belongings and made their way towards the exit. The restaurant is thankfully open until the break of dawn. Weird schedule for a food place to be open, but it's better to have the setup here than at some shabby eatery or packed nightclub. Oh that would be so classy and elegant. Hah.

 

Here and there, small groups of people made their way into the building and sat over a midnight snack or cup of coffee. While I sat here in the same seat for the past hour or so. I'm starting to get a bit impatient, that is, until the bell hung on the door rung and indicated a new customer.

 

"Hey, are you Bom?" 

 

"I can't believe it." I muttered in amazement. He has got to be kidding me. 

 

"Surprised?" He flashed that bright smile of his. I couldn't help but shake my head in disbelief.

 

"More than surprised; I never would have expected it to be you."

 

"Let's treat this as a speed date, but we'll bend the rules a bit." He offered. 

 

"What more should I know about you?" I mean, it's not like it's a complete blind date. Unexpected, but he's most definitely not a stranger.

 

"Oh, there's a whole lot you don't know about me, Park Bom-yang." 

 

"Maybe you should remove those sunglasses you have on then maybe I'll think of talking in depth with you." I challenged with my arms crossed against my chest. He did as I said and folded it over the collar of his shirt. He wore what seemed to be the most casual look in comparison to all of the other dates I've had tonight. A pair of faded jeans, a plain black tee tucked into only the front, and a wool cardigan with black boots to match. "You first."

 

"Okay…What I present for others on camera, obviously, isn't the exact epitome of who I actually am as a person. I'm a naive teenage boy stuck in the transition to adulthood. I act childish when I'm around those I care deeply for." He started off. I continued to listen. Of course I know that an idol's persona is never the same as who they truly are, but that was just about it. We're close, but there's always the tiniest bits of information that we've both filtered out of telling anyone.

 

 

 

"How are you able to do it?" I asked with the upmost interest. It had already passed midnight and we were inching our way towards the early morning hours. Our conversation not once faltered as we spoke back and forth. I've never known how deep he actually is. 

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"How are you able to deal with all of the criticism and appear the next moment with your head up high? It must be difficult to do that." 

 

"You have to do what you have to do. If it weren't for the fans and support system that I have, I don't think I would have been able to get through all of the criticism. I know that the future won't be squeaky clean and perfect, so that's why with realizing that everyone's full of faults, the pain won't affect me as much. It'll hurt, but only temporary. Once you make your debut, I want you to keep your head high. People will come attacking you with every little mistake that they find, but what they have to say doesn't matter. You're finally living your dream and don't let anyone or anything stand in the way of that." He reached over the table and held his hand in mine. It was as if that simple gesture changed everything. Not only my perspective on the industry that I was about to enter anytime soon, but also my view on the person sitting across of the table. 

 

Now I know why age difference doesn't matter once you get older. It's not about the amount of years someone's been living, but the level of maturity and if that is actually what you want. And as of right now, I want him. To say it bluntly.

 

"Dance with me," 

 

"There's no music, babo." That didn't stop him. He stood from his seat and not once broke our intertwined hands. "You're crazy." I followed his lead as he wrapped his arms around my waist and I did the same, but around his neck. And as we swayed from side to side to silence and stared helplessly into one another's eyes, my decision was certain. Who knew that everything could change in a matter of four hours? Especially when your feelings are involved.

 

"You're so beautiful." He confessed shamelessly.

 

"And you look absolutely dashing. Even if it's like the most simplistic outfit anyone could ever wear on a first date." I pressed my body closer to his. Hoping he got the hint in my words.

 

"So this is our first date?" Thank you! He caught on. I nodded.

 

"I guess I have to thank my lovely friend Jiyong for setting me up with you." I teased. 

 

"Noona~I'm supposed to be the one teasing you, not the other way around!" He childishly pouted and swiftly, I leaned in to kiss him on the cheek.