Chapter 2 – The run

Kipuka Island
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2 – The run

 

 

 

The two scientists are almost done with their beers when Krystal’s group went into the bar. Though still not sure if the person she saw is really Krystal, the fast beating of her heart confirms the doubts that her brain is having.

 

“After all these years of thinking that I’ve forgotten about you, I can’t believe that you still make my heart act this way.”  The young scientist thought to herself as she stared in the dark corner of the bar. Realizing that she’s been shooting glares at the girl, she averted her eyes back to her mentor who’s busy checking out a y girl who just passed by.

 

“What a byuntae…” She mumbled as she sipped her beer. To her surprise, Dr. Yoo was able to hear her comment and glared at her.

 

“I’m just appreciating that girl’s beauty.” He defended.

 

“Yeah… the beauty of the girl’s .”

 

“Hah! So you also checked her out…” The older guy gave her an evil smirk.

 

“What? I did not…”

 

“Oh come on Amber. I know you had it in you.”

 

“No I don’t.”

 

While the two are bickering with each other, Haha noticed them and pointed them to Minho. The latter then smiled and approached the two scientists. Krystal on the other hand, noticed that Minho’s going somewhere so she eyed to where the young man’s going.

 

“Dr. Yoo, Amber…” He greeted them, tapping the older man’s shoulder. “I’m glad you also know how to loosen up a bit.”

 

Noticing the presence of the young man, the two scientists greeted him back.

 

“Of course we do. We’re also humans. We also get stressed because of work.” The older scientist answered him.

 

The girl sitting on the corner saw Minho stopped by the table of two men not far from their seat. She recognized the other guy as Dr. Yoo, but she couldn’t see the other one since Minho’s blocking the other’s face. Her heart suddenly started beating fast when she remembered the name of Dr. Yoo’s assistant. Her thoughts start to be filled of her past lover. If it’s really her, what is she going to do?

 

Her heart stopped beating for a moment when she saw the men who Minho are talking to both stood up and are now on their way to their table. But she felt relieved when she saw that Dr. Yoo’s assistant’s hair is blonde and that ‘he’ is not wearing any glasses. The young girl tried to relax by drinking a bit of liquor that was served in her glass and tried to catch to the conversation of her friends.

 

“Uhm, guys…” Minho said as he tried to get the attention of his friends. “I’d like you to meet the two scientists who are having their studies here in the island.” He then stepped aside for the others to see the two scientists. “These are Dr. Yoo and Amber.” He introduced as he pointed to them. “They are geologists from Seoul National University, but they are also connected to the USGS. These are cool guys, especially Amber here.” He then put his arms on the short-haired girl’s shoulder before continuing, “right Professor?”

 

Amber blushed at Minho’s introduction to her. “Aish… Not really Minho.” She spoke.

 

Krystal, who’s not really paying attention earlier suddenly, had her eyes open widely as she heard that voice. It’s been so long since she last heard that husky but soft voice. She suddenly felt something deep inside of her that she recognizes as the feeling of longing. She turned her head to the direction of the young scientist. Seeing the latter closer, she was surprised to see Amber.

 

“It’s really her. S-She… She dyed her hair. And… Is she wearing contacts? Her appearance may have changed a lot but I’m sure… I’m sure that it’s her.” She thought to herself.

 

“He’s cute.” She heard Sulli and Luna whispered to each other.

 

“Oh yeah, Amber here… is actually a girl.” Minho told them, causing the group except Krystal to gasp. The latter is already staring now at the blonde scientist, as she couldn’t believe that after more than five years of not seeing her past lover, she’d be able to meet her at a time like this. “And Amber is almost same age as us but she’s already having her PhD.” Minho proudly informed them, causing the young scientist to blush even more.

 

“Hahaha… Look at what you’re doing to Amber, Minho-sshi. She’s blushing.” Haha told him, causing the group to laugh at the cuteness and shyness the young scientist was displaying.

 

In the middle of their laughter, Krystal suddenly stood up and said, “I-I’ll just go to the bathroom.” She said quickly as she ran to the bathroom.

 

“What’s wrong with her?” Jonghyun asked them, noticing that the young girl’s been acting weird lately.

 

“I don’t know. She seems to be out of her trance earlier.” Sulli answered him.

 

“Hey Minho, she’s the girl you’re having a date with in a hobie cat, isn’t she?” Dr. Yoo asked the guy, causing the latter to blush.

 

“Ahh… Y-Yeah.” He shyly answered.

 

In the midst of the conversation, he might be laughing with them, but he didn’t miss how Krystal stared at the young scientist called Amber. He also didn’t miss the way the young scientist stole some glances at the younger girl, and also as she eyed his friend as she went to the bathroom. What made him raise his eyebrow is when the young scientist excused herself to go to the bathroom too.

 

 

 

 

The young girl struggled to relax her tensed body by breathing deeply inside the cubicle as she did her thing. After flushing the toilet and making sure that she’s already calmed down, she opened the door and was surprised to see Amber leaning her body on the sink in front of her, arms crossed across her chest.

 

“A… A-Amber…”

 

She saw her smirked before saying, “So it’s really you.” She uncrossed her arms and stood straight. She took a few steps forward until she’s only an arm away from the younger girl.

 

Amber smiled weakly before patting the younger girl’s head lightly and turned around to walk to the door.

 

Still a bit surprised, Krystal still managed to say “A-Amber wait!” stopping the older girl on her tracks.

 

Inside four corners of the small room, the two girls stood still as Amber waited for the younger girl to speak up. Feeling that this meeting is going nowhere, she opened and said, “Long time no see…” She said as she held the doorknob. She turned it clockwise and before pulling the door open, she said, “Princess.”

 

The door shut closed, leaving the young girl dumbfounded as it’s been so long as she heard that certain voice say the word ‘Princess’ to her so sweetly. Everything came back crashing to her like everything’s happened only yesterday. Feeling her knees weakened, she approached the sink and held onto it for support as her other hand held her aching chest.

 

She won’t deny the fact that after months of breaking up with Amber, she regretted her decision. She didn’t give their relationship a chance. She was the weak one. She was the one who let go first without even trying to hold on a little bit longer. She regretted letting go that fast because after that, she only felt nothing but emptiness inside of her. She thought before that since Amber’s about to start her first year in college somewhere away from her, it’d be a great opportunity for her to forget about them.

 

She then felt dizzy as she felt things moving around her.

 

Or so she thought it is.

 

She then realized that she’s not really feeling dizzy but it is the ground that is shaking vigorously. She started to panic when things started to fall and she heard screams from the outside. By reflex, she ducked and put her arms on her head. She was shaking out of fear since the ground started to shaking grew more intense.

 

She then felt somebody pulled her under the sink and wrapped their arms around her, trying to comfort her, telling her to relax and keep calm.

 

“Shh… Relax Princess… I’m here. I’m here.” A husky but soft voice comforted her as she felt the person’s arms held her tightly.

 

That feeling, that voice… It’s more than enough for her to know that it’s none other than Amber who’s holding her right now. Her fear before was lessened, as she felt safe in the arms of the scient

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter