Gratuitous Insecurities

Baby Sehun!

 

“Are you sure you don’t want me to call the doctor, Baek? You’ve been vomiting for quite a few times now…”

 

“I’m—ugh—fine!—ugh!”

 

Chanyeol shook his head, not being able to believe his lover’s persistence. This was probably the fourth time Baekhyun vomited that day due to morning sickness. The couple had recently found out that they were going to have a baby soon—otherwise known as their first child. The couple was very happy, of course, but poor Baekhyun had to handle the stress of being a pregnant mother-to-be for the first time.

 

The taller of the two patted the other’s back, rubbing soothing circles before helping Baekhyun stand up. Chanyeol decided to skip work that day; being the dedicated father-to-be he is. He called the office and told his secretary that he needs to say at home to attend his quoted—“lovely wifey’s”—end quote needs.

 

“Lie down, sweetie. I’ll get you some tea.” He instructed. Baekhyun had no power to decline so he lied in bed, panting hard, trying to regain his composure.

 

“You should go to work, Yeol. I’ll be fine.”

 

“Why are you so persistent?” Chanyeol asked back as he headed to the kitchen. “I want to take care of you. You and my child.”

 

They ended up drinking tea together not long after. Chanyeol stayed at home, as promised, and snuggled his bed with Baekhyun. They stayed like that for a couple of hours before Chanyeol declared his boredom and started to read a child’s storybook (where he got it, Baekhyun will never know.)

 

As he started a new paragraph, Baekhyun grunted. “I’m not a child, you know.”

 

“I know. I’m reading it for our baby.” Chanyeol grinned in return. “So listen well, okay?”

 

The two fell asleep not long after, in each other’s arms, of course. Baekhyun woke up first, wiping the drool off of the corner of Chanyeol’s mouth and headed to the bathroom. He wanted to take a warm bath.

 

As Baekhyun took his oversized shirt off, he couldn’t believe what he saw.

 

Am I that fat!?

 

He turned his body around and noticed new lumps of fat that were not there before. His stomach was growing that he started to not be able to see his feet.

 

“Yep, I definitely gained at least ten pounds.” He muttered to himself, touching his now-chubbier cheeks. “Byun Baekhyun you fatso.”

 

“That’s Park Baekhyun, remember?”

 

A pair of long, slender arms wrapped themselves around Baekhyun’s (inflated) waist and a soft cheek nuzzled against his ear. “What were you doing, hm?”

 

“You scared me!” The shorter replied, but made no move to push his husband away. “I was about to shower.”

 

“Explains why you’re .”

 

The smaller pair of hands pushed Chanyeol out of the bathroom gently, locking the door. “I’ll be out in a minute.”

 

“Okay! What do you want for dinner?”

 

But Baekhyun did not answer. The last thing he wanted to do was eat and get even fatter than he already is.

 

***

Chanyeol went to work that day (due to Baekhyun’s unstoppable nagging about making money for the family or something like that) and Baekhyun took the opportunity to visit his beloved best friend, Zitao.

 

Zitao gave birth to his first son, Luhan, about five months ago. He and his husband Kris moved from China to Korea and Kris formed and alliance with Chanyeol with their businesses. They had been friends since forever, as Baekhyun recalled. Zitao’s first born, Luhan, was the cutest thing he ever saw. The baby had big eyes and a small, thin pair of lips.

 

“Zitao?”

 

“I’m in the kitchen!”

 

Baekhyun entered the house nervously, not wanting to disturb anything. But seeing that his friend was only feeding Luhan milk, he felt more at ease.

 

“Hi!” Zitao greeted. “It’s Luhan’s meal time. What’s up?”

 

“Uhm…”

 

“Baek?”

 

“Am I fat?”

 

There, I said it.

 

Zitao tilted his head to the side. “What?”

 

“Did I get fatter? Be honest.”

 

“Well,” The Chinese posed. “You did. That’s kinda normal since you’re pregnant.”

 

“But I got a lot fatter! And it’s only been four months!” The other retorted, lifting his shirt. “Look at all this fat!”

 

Zitao fed Luhan the last bit of his milk and laid him gently in his crib before taking out a photo album. He signaled Baekyun to come sit next to him. The taller of the two started to flip the pages and stopped once he arrived at pictures of him with a large belly.

 

“You see this, Baek? That’s me in my third month. Look how fat I am as compared to you.”

 

Said boy took a look for a few seconds before lifting his head up abruptly. “But you’re tall! I’m short and fat… I look like a fitness ball…”

 

“No you don’t. I can assure you that.” Closing the book, Zitao patted his best friend’s head. “You’re not fat. And even if you are, so what? You’re pregnant.”

 

“If I’m fat then I won’t be as attractive and Chanyeol will…”

 

“Chanyeol will what? Did he do something to you!?”

 

The panicked tone in Zitao’s voice made Baekhyun jump. He knew Zitao was protective of him. “Nothing! Really, he didn’t do anything. It’s just that…”

 

“It’s just that… What?”

 

“I don’t want to look fat and ugly around him. I want him to continue loving me…”

 

“Of course he’ll still love you! He’s your husband! He’s not going to hate you just because you’re fat, which you’re not. Why would he? You’re carrying his baby, after all.”

 

“But—“

 

“No buts. Jeez, you have such gratuitous insecurities.” Zitao commented, carrying Luhan and cradling him. “If Luhan had understood you he’d be laughing by now, isn’t that right, baby?”

 

Luhan made a nearly inaudible ‘meep’ sound and smiled as Zitao cooed him.

 

“A—Are you sure?”

 

“Positive. Is that why you look so troubled?”

 

Sighing, Baekhyun closed his eyes. “Yeah…”

 

“…You don't believe me, do you?”

 

“I do, it’s just—“

 

“What?” The other cut off. He kissed Luhan’s forehead a few times and laid him back in the crib. “If you’re so scared why don’t you ask Chanyeol yourself? I’m sure he won’t mind.”

 

“But that’d be too awkward!”

 

“No it's not. It’s normal for a husband and wife to talk about things, even when it seems so personal. Why don’t you give it a go? Kris and I talk about these things all the time. Like that time my period came late and the time he couldn’t get har—“

 

“Okay okay I get it!” Embarrassed, Baekhyun covered his ears. “I’m going home now! Bye!”

 

From afar, he could hear Zitao’s voice. “Good luck!”

 

***

When Baekhyun arrived at home, he received a text from Chanyeol, saying that he was on the way. The pregnant man started to cook dinner, the menu being Japanese wagyu steak and braised pork belly—their favorites. Baekhyun tried putting his favorite apron on, but it was getting hard to tie the back. He sighed once again, but attempted to distract himself by making food that will surely bring a smile on Chanyeol’s face.

 

“I’m home!”

 

Ah, that voice.

 

“W—Welcome home!” Baekhyun tried to sound cheerful, but something was holding him back. And unfortunately for him, Chanyeol noticed.


“Hey babe, you okay?” He kissed Baekhyun’s forehead.

 

“Yeah, fine. Totally fine.”

 

“You don’t sound okay.”

 

Shaking his head, the shorter man pretended to not hear and continued cooking. “Can you help me set the plates? Then you can shower up,t he food will be ready soon.”

 

“Baek.”

 

That stern voice. That stern voice made Baekhyun’s body numb as he was turned around almost too quickly.

 

“Y—Yeah?”

 

“Is there something you’re not telling me?”

 

“N—No…”

 

“Then look into my eyes and say no.”

 

“I—“ The shorter was out of words.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

Baekhyun averted his gaze away from Chanyeol even further. “D –Do you think I’m –unattractive?”

 

“Huh?” Was Chanyeol’s response, dumbfounded.

 

“I mean, I got fat and all… I think I gained like ten to twenty pounds… And it’s only been four months and I’m becoming ugly and you’ll probably hate me and—hmmfh.”

 

A pair of soft lips landed on Baekhyun’s and he felt himself melting in Chanyeol’s embrace. They kissed and kissed and Chanyeol extended his arm to turn the stove off.

 

When they pulled apart to breathe in oxygen, the taller man spoke. “I love you, Park Baekhyun, for who you are. I don’t care about your physical appearances. I fell for your heart; for your kindness and love. And if you really feel like you’re fat then I’m willing to eat like a pig and be fat too, then we can roll around for the rest of our lives together. And how can I hate you when you’re carrying my child?”

 

Baekhyun wanted to cry and so he did. He buried his head in Chanyeol’s chest. It really was a gratuitous insecurity. Chanyeol would love him no matter what, but he created that hypothesis because he wasn’t confident enough. But now he knew the truth and there was nothing to worry about.

 

***

Baekhyun quickly finished the cooking and the couple took a warm bath together. Chanyeol planted kisses all over the other’ body: his neck, abdoment, cheeks and finally lips.

 

“I love you, Baek.”

 

“I—I love you too…”

 

“I’ll never leave you. No matter what you do, you’ll never be able to get rid of me, remember that.”

 

Baekhyun giggled. “Okay. I guess I’m stuck with you, huh?”

 

“Yep!” Chanyeol answered cheerfully. “Forever!”

 

“Forever… Sounds pretty good to me—Ah!”

 

“W—What’s wrong?!”

 

“The baby kicked!”

 

Chanyeol immediately placed his hand on Baekhyun’s stomach, and sure enough he felt a slight kicking against his palm.

 

“I think he’s relieved now that you’re relieved, Baek.” He smiled. “Hi baby! It’s me, appa! I can’t wait to see you!”

 

Chanyeol planted a kiss on Baekhyun’s tummy and the two kissed once again.

 

***

After a few hours of labor, Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s first son, Joonmyun was born. He had milky white skin, just like his mother. His hair was jet black and he had a pair of heart-shaped lips. What a perfect child.

 

“Hi baby… This is umma…” Baekhyun said breathlessly, trying to suppress the pain after undergoing the process of taking the baby out. “Be a good boy, okay?”

 

Baby Joonmyun slightly shifted closer to him and Baekhyun gently kissed his forehead.

 

Chanyeol came a while later, crying (like an idiot, with snot coming out of his nose), mumbling “Oh my god my baby oh my god oh my god Kris I’m a father oh Jesus take the wheel!”

 

“Yeol, calm down. Come here and say hi to our son.”

 

Chanyeol walked closer, taking a good look at Joonmyun before muttering one word: “Miracle.”

 

“I love you, Baek. Thank you for the wonderful family. When you get home, let’s make another baby!”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. He almost died today and Chanyeol wanted another baby!?

 

But…

 

Oh well, it's the beginning of something beautiful. So why not?

 

A/N: there you go! after a long hiatus i finally managed to write this. i'm sorry if this was not what you expected as a comeback ;A; i'll work harder next time. i just thought that since taoris had a 'predebut' story then baekyeol should too! the next chapter will probably be filled with babies' stories.

oh, and follow my instagram! it'll mean a lot, and if you talk to me there, i'll reply immediately :3 thanks so much!