Chapter 4

Ice cold

 

 

 

We sat in silence for quite awhile. I was trying to let it all process through my head. There was so many unanswered questions. She looked like she was deep in thought too. I wanted to know what had happened with her, and Jessica. It seemed very bad, but I don't know if Yoona was telling the truth about her. If she's really Soojung's sister then she should be here protecting her from someone like that. What kind of sister would just leave someone so sick to defend for themselves? She must really be a terrible person. I'm so glad that I'm close with my brothers, and can trust them with no worries. Poor Soojung, she must be really hurt about it.

 

“Soojung...” She looked up at me, and then looked away to the window. It looked like she was waiting for someone. Did she think Yoona was going to come back?

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I want to know about Jessica. I'm so in the dark here. I really don't get what's going on. Can you tell me?” She grimaced, and sighed like she was really annoyed by my presence. I don't know if she just pretending, or she really didn't want me around.

 

“I guess you deserve to know. I'm only going to say all of this once, and I won't repeat myself got it?” She glared at me, obviously in a bad mood after what had happened with Yoona.

 

“I got it.” I swallowed hard, and she tore her angry gaze off of me. It was a weird thought to have, but she really looked cute when she was all mad.

 

“Well, it all started when my parents died in a car accident about 7 years ago. I was only 11 then, and Jessica still lived here with me. They died while trying to take me to hospital. I'm the only one who survived the crash. I know you're thinking why didn't they take a limo? It was broken.” She looked down at her lap, and gripped the fabric of her pajama pants. I couldn't tell if it was from anger, or what.

 

“I'm really sorry to hear that.” She turned her attention back to the window, and a new snow was falling outside. She frowned a little, and spoke again.

 

“The real story begins 4 years ago. I was 14, and then at that time Jessica began to act so differently.”

 

---Flashback {Krystal's POV}

 

At that point in time I was stuck barely able to move in my bed. I had to have people do everything for me. I kept coughing up blood a lot, but tried to hide it as best as I could. I really didn't think it was a big deal. I just didn't want Jessica to be even more worried, so I hid it. It was getting harder to do each day because it kept getting worse. I felt so useless, and weak having to depend on so many people.

 

I remember like it was yesterday, she came in my room that day just like every other day. It was completely normal. She sat down on my bed with a big smile, and a face that indicated not a worry in the world. I always wished that I could smile so carefree like her. She rubbed my head, and tucked me in more than I was before.

 

“Soojung-ah do you want a bed time story tonight?”

 

“I'm not a little kid anymore. Why would I want something like that?”

 

“It could help you sleep better. It's your favorite story too.” She held up the book that my parent's would often read to me when I was much younger. It always brought back such fond memories. That book always managed to make me smile no matter how bad my day was going.

 

“..Well ok.”

 

“I knew you wouldn't be able to say no to this.” I laid my head on her shoulder, and listened as she told the story I had heard so many times before. The story of a princess who defeats all the bad guys. I always wished I could be like the character in the story. I wanted to be strong too, or at least be able to do things by myself without others helping. I wanted to be able protect the people I cared about like she could do. I didn't want to lose anyone again like when I lost mom, and dad. Why did I have to be so powerless?

 

She finished reading, and placed the book on the nightstand. I tried hard to keep myself from coughing, and just smiled at her so she wouldn't suspect a thing. She kissed my head, and held me tightly in her arms. I wanted to tell her truth about how I was feeling, but I just couldn't. I kept quiet managing to keep the cough from coming out. I didn't know what to say.

 

“You know that story is a lot like you. No wonder you like it so much.”

 

“What? It's nothing like me at all unnie.”

 

“But to me you're a very beautiful princess, and our mansion is your castle.” I face lit up after she said this, and she giggled at me. It made me so happy. I never got complimented much, my parents weren't exactly the type to shell out compliments well not to me. They always said how great Jessica was, and I agreed, but they never once mentioned me.

 

“Really? Then you're the queen!”

 

“I don't think I'm that important.” She laughed again. She was always pretty modest, and didn't really let compliments go to her head. I always admired that about her. She was confident,and smart too, everything I wish I could be.

 

“You're the most important person in the world to me!” I squeezed her tightly, and rubbed my cheek on hers.

 

“Why is that?” She squished my cheeks together, and made me laugh. She laughed too, and started tickling me. I managed to push her off before I started laughing too hard.

 

“Because you love me, and nobody else does.”

 

“Mom, and Dad loved you so much Soojung.”

 

“But, they never seemed like they wanted to be around me.”

 

“Oh! I see them now. Hi Mom, and Dad!” She was just looking forward, and waving randomly in the air. It was really weird. I thought she had gone crazy at that moment.

 

“Where? I don't see anything!” I looked all around the room, and saw absolutely no trace of our parents. I was confused, but she was smiling so huge like she really could see them.

 

“They're right there!” She pointed to the empty spot in the air again. I furrowed my brow, and looked around the room again. Maybe she really did go crazy.

 

“Then why can't I see them??”

 

“You're not old enough. When you get older you'll be able to see them too.”

 

“Really!?” I actually really believed her. I realized later that she had probably made it up to make me feel better. Still, I appreciate it.

 

“I'd never lie to you.” She smiled at me, and I nodded. It was true. She really never did.

 

“I want to talk to them too.”

 

“They said they miss you so much, and love you more than you can ever imagine.”

 

“What else?”

 

“They're so proud of you. They can't wait to see you grown up even more.” Her eyes were watering, and a single tear fell down her cheek. I didn't understand why she was crying. My only guess was that she really missed our parents.

 

“They'll see me grow more, and you will too unnie!” I leaned upwards, and wiped the tear away from her cheek. She smiled a little and wiped her eyes.

 

“You think? I'm worried that I won't be able to watch you grow up any longer..”

 

“What are you talking about? You see me everyday.”

 

“You're right. Never mind.”

 

I had replayed that conversation in my head sometimes, and yet it still didn't make much sense. She knew something that she wasn't telling me, and I was so oblivious to it. That day, and at that time I didn't even think once that she was going to leave my side. I thought we'd live together happily the rest of our lives, but I was so wrong. What happened next was something that I still can't comprehend, and it still hurts to think of it.

 

It was raining hard that day, and I felt like I was on death's door. I had lost so much blood, and everything inside of me ached. Jessica came into my room like normally, and I smiled despite all the pain I was feeling. I knew that I was dying, I could feel it. She approached me like normal, but didn't sit down as she normally would. I didn't think anything of it, and reached out to hold her hand. She smacked it away immediately.

 

“Unnie..are you mad? What did I do to make you mad?”

 

“You're the reason our parents are dead! Why else wouldn't I be mad?” When I first heard her say this I thought she was trying to trick me. She had played tricks on me before, but nothing this mean.

 

“..What are you talking about?”

 

“Don't try, and play innocent. If you weren't a cursed abomination they would still be alive. It's your fault. It's all your fault!” She sound so angry, and it scared me. She never yelled at me like this before, or talked down to me in a degrading way. She never even brought up the curse. I didn't get why she had changed over night.

 

“Why are you saying all this right now!?”

 

“Don't you understand? I hate you! I've always hated you. I only forced myself to be nice to you because our parents told me to do so. I really can't stand to be around you, or even look at you.” I started to cry from hearing her spout such mean things to me. The tears poured out like waterfalls, and she looked so emotionless. My sister would of cared if I was crying, what was wrong with her?

 

“You're lying! My sister Jessica would never say this kind of thing!”

 

“Then I'm not your sister anymore! I don't want to to be a Jung, or a member of this family any longer. I'm leaving.”

 

“You can't! You can't go Jessica!”

 

“I can, and I WILL!” She walked to the door, and I knew if I let her go then I'd never see her again. I could barely move, but I forced myself out of bed, and collapsed. I didn't want her to go, so much that I even crawled across the floor. I shouted out to her not to go, and throw up even more blood then before. I looked at her for the last time, she was crying. She ran out of the room quickly, and I passed out. I thought I was dead. I was all alone, and it was all my fault. I wished so much that it was a dream.

 

When I woke up I was told that I had been in a small coma, and was asleep for two weeks straight. I asked about Jessica, they didn't know her whereabouts. She really meant everything she said, and it killed me inside. I was an emotional wreck. I was so confused, and I wouldn't eat. A few days had passed, and I was still recovering in the hospital. The doctor informed me that I had a visitor, and I immediately thought it was Jessica. I was so disappointed when I found it was a total stranger. She walked into the room, and groveled in front of my bed. I'd never seen her in my life, and I wasn't sure what was going on.

 

“Your parents sent me to protect you.”

 

“Is this some kind of joke!? My parents have been dead for years!” She held up a letter that had the Jung official family seal on it, and I knew she wasn't lying. My Dad would put that on every letter he sent no matter how important or unimportant it was.

 

“I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. I received this letter 8 years ago. The letter instructed me not to come before you until this very date. I've been training hard in China just to protect you princess.”

 

“Princess!? Who said you could use that nickname?”

 

“The letter told me that you would of liked to be called this.”

 

“J-Jessica...?”

 

“No, my name is Amber. I swear on my life that I'll protect you princess. Nobody is going to hurt you anymore.”

 

--End flashback {Sulli's POV}

 

“That's what happened.”

 

“That really doesn't make much sense what she did.”

 

“My sister would never say that kind of thing. That wasn't Jessica who was saying that. I think she had to leave for a reason, and that's why she said so much mean things to me. I don't want to believe she meant any of that.”

 

“You really miss her huh?”

 

“What do you care!? I wait for her to come home everyday! I've waited for 4 years now, and she's still not back! I'll keep waiting...I want to see her.” She seemed like she was having another one of her angry mood swings again. I didn't bother to push any other opinions about Jessica on her. It was obvious she would only believe her sister was as she was before she left.

 

“I knew you were lying when you told Yoona that you didn't care about her.”

 

“I'll never let Yoona know how I feel. It's none of her business.”

 

“Do you really think she talked to Jessica?”

 

“I told you! My sister would never say bad stuff about me. She's not like that!”

 

“You're right. She must be lying. Still, Amber sounded really cool in your story. Why do you let her call you princess if you didn't want her to?”

 

“I know that Jessica probably told my Dad to put that in the letter, so if she says it's ok then I'll allow it.”

 

I noticed that she crying now, but I could understand why. All of this must be hard to think about, or remember. I wondered if maybe Yoona had done something to Jessica back then to make her act that way, or she knew something that Soojung didn't. Yoona did say something about her recovering now that Jessica was gone, was Jessica making her sick? No, that doesn't make sense if Soojung was sick her whole life. Still, it was pretty confusing.

 

“I'm so jealous of you. You have a family that's alive, and that you can talk to whenever you want. You're so poor, but yet you have everything. I'm rich, but I have nothing. I'd rather be poor, and happy with my family then be miserable like I am now.”

 

“Soojung-ah, you're really lonely aren't you?”

 

“I have nobody, of course I am!”

 

“You have Amber, and the rest of your workers. You can't forget them.”

 

“I know, but they can't give me the love that I want. Don't compare them.”

 

“If it's love you want then I can give you plenty!” I opened my arms wide, and motioned her to come into them for a big hug. She glared at me, and scoffed.

 

“Who said that I'd want your love!? What a pathetic joke!”

 

That hurt me badly. I tried to hold it in, but I couldn't. Tears streamed down my face, and she looked shocked. I tried to wipe them off quickly, but she pulled me into a tight hug. I didn't know what to say I was still really hurt. My feelings had been chewed up, and spit out.

 

“I didn't mean that. I'm sorry. I only say mean things, so you'll stay away from me.”

 

“What...Why?”

 

“I'm scared. I'm scared you'll leave me too if I let you love me. I don't want to feel that pain again.”

 

“Soojung....it's ok to be scared. I'm not going to hurt you. I really like you, and I'll I want is to make you happy.”

 

“You already do.” She reached upwards, and wiped the tears away. I smiled at her, and she laid her head on my shoulder. You don't know how much that meant to me Soojung-ah.