Chapter 9

Ice cold

 

 

I swallowed hard upon seeing the bits of blood staining the tiled floor. A rush of negative thoughts raced through my mind. Was I going to die? I heard foot steps, and immediately reached for a paper towel. I cleaned every trace of evidence left behind, and felt a tap on my shoulder. I saw my father pointing towards the front door of our home.

 

“Jinri! Your best friend Jiyoung is here to see you.” I was caught off guard by what he had said. How did she even know about our new address, and why did she still insist on bothering me? I was already starting to feel a little annoyed. I sighed in frustration, and opened the front door. She was standing there with a smile plastered on her face. It wasn't a normal smile, she seemed off. I tried my best to ignore it, and closed the door behind me. I didn't want her inside my house.

 

“Why are you here? I thought I told you we weren't friends anymore..” I leaned against the brick wall behind me, and folded my arms across my chest. I tried my best to keep my composure, but inside I was still freaking out over the blood that I coughed up. She moved closer to me until we were standing side by side. I felt oddly uncomfortable around her.

 

“I'm here because I remembered the promise you made to me. I want you to fulfill it.” I saw a strange gleam in her eye. The person before me was indeed Jiyoung, but at the same time it wasn't. I couldn't exactly explain it. I raised an eyebrow while thinking hard about any sort of promise we had made. The weird thing was I couldn't remember any memories about Jiyoung at all. It was like I had completely erased her from ever being there.

 

“What promise? I don't know what you're talking about.” I started to cough again after saying that. I was terrified that more blood would come, but it didn't. Maybe, it was just a one time thing? I had hoped it was. A feeling of relief over came me.

 

“A few years ago after we kissed you promised me that you'd ask me out once we graduated. Don't you remember?” Out of no where the memory she mentioned came flooding vividly into my head. Jiyoung, invited me to sleep over at her house one night. She confessed her undying love for me, and made me promise I'd ask her out after we graduated high school. I only agreed because I felt sorry for her. I never had any feelings for her at all, I just didn't want to lose my only friend. She forced a kiss on me, my first kiss. That was something I never liked to think about. I always felt like I had wasted that kiss.

 

“Why would I keep that promise? You know I'm with someone already...” I wiped my lips thinking back to the memory. I remember her kiss being so sloppy. I shuttered to myself. I saw Jiyoung making an angry face at me. I remembered a time when I would have been intimidated by her, but now being with Soojung every day it's hard to get scared of anything anymore.

 

“The real Jinri would never break a promise!” She shouted in a way that came off as purely childish. She was really getting on my last nerve. I shook my head at her, and walked back over towards the front door increasing the distance between us.

 

“I shouldn't have to keep a promise to someone whose not my friend anymore!” I turned to reach for the knob, but was pinned against the brick wall beside the door way. I gasped in surprise, and felt her lips make contact with me. The kiss was deep, and a bit passionate. I pushed her off with all my strength, and felt my cheeks burn red in anger.

 

“Are you sure you don't want to now?” I heard a cocky tone in her voice. I clenched my fists, and moved back over towards the door. I was willing to work it out with her before, but now I just wanted nothing to do with her at all.

 

“W-Why'd you do that?” I tried my best to sound calm, and composed. If I had acted in any other way she would of taken it as a sign of something else.

 

“Why are you blushing? You still have feelings for me don't you?” I saw her smirking. She was looking at me as if she had just won some sort of huge prize. It was repulsive.

 

“I don't!” I shouted, and retreated back inside slamming the door in her face. I watched her leave, and I went into my room to call it a night.

 

The next day I went over to the Jung estate earlier than usual. I couldn't sleep at all. I felt guilty about what had happened with Jiyoung. I felt like Soojung should know. I was scared how she was going to react, but I wasn't going to hide it from her. She's been through enough already. I couldn't do that to her. When I entered I was surprised to see her standing right by the door. She was out of her room, and she looked a lot healthier than usual. I didn't even see any traces of bandages on her body. I momentarily wondered if the curse had been broken. My train of thought was broken when I felt her arms holding me in a tight embrace.

 

“You're here! I've been wanting to see you so badly..” She whispered into my ear before planting a gentle kiss on my lips. I felt my heart skip a beat from her gentle affection. I wanted to return the feelings she was filling my with, but the heavy weight of guilt was stopping me from doing so.

 

“Soojung..I..” I tried to speak, but was cut off by her lips again. She seemed surprised that I wasn't kissing her back. I started to feel bad about that too.

 

“I love you. I just want you to know that.” Her voice was soft, and tender. Her words made my heart ache. I felt like I had betrayed her. I couldn't hold it in any longer. In my mind I knew this would break her, but I had to say it.

 

“Jiyoung kissed me....” Her arms retracted from my body, and she turned her back to me completely. I was suddenly enveloped in fear. The silence between us was killing me. I wanted to reach out, and grab her hand. I didn't. It was useless, she would just push me away in a cold manner.

 

“Then leave! Don't you ever come back here AGAIN!” Her loud voiced echoed throughout the entire mansion. I winced hearing her words. I could hear the hurt in her voice. She was going to be all alone again, and she was afraid. This was the last thing I ever wanted to happen.

 

“I didn't kiss back! I didn't like it!” I desperately tried to defend myself. I knew it wouldn't change anything. She would probably never trust me, or talk to me again. Just thinking about being away from her made tears pour out of my eyes. I didn't bother to wipe them.

 

“I don't have time to listen to your lies!” She started to ascend the large stair case. She was going back to her room. She was going to be stuck in solitude again. I ran over quickly, and grabbed the fabric of her shirt pulling her to a halt. She glared at me. I felt my heart shatter seeing the tears trickle down her cheeks also.

 

“I'm not lying! I'd never do something like that on purpose. You're the only one I want.” She yanked my hand off of her shirt, and kept moving farther up the stairs. I knew she was out of my reach forever. I gazed at her pleadingly with tears overflowing from eyes. She scowled, and didn't look back at me again.

 

“Leave...” She hissed harshly. I knew I wasn't welcome anymore, and ran out as fast as I could. I didn't bother asking the limo driver for a ride back into town. I decided to walk myself. I needed time to think. I needed time to heal. I felt completely broken inside.

 

I walked past the restaurant where we first met. I peered inside the window, and vividly recalled everything that happened that day. I wish I could go back, and fix everything. I tore myself away from the scene, and continued onwards towards my house. I exhaled deeply, and looked forward to see a familiar figure. It was Jiyoung. I became filled with anger just looking at her from a distance. We crossed paths, and she grabbed my shoulder pulling me towards her. I shoved her away.

 

“Jinri, why so sad? You were crying huh?” I felt like she was taunting me. I gave her the meanest look I could muster. She laughed, and wiped the moistness away from my eye.

 

“My relationship is screwed up! It's all your fault!” I screamed. People around us were starting to stare.

 

“Then, nothing is stopping us from being together now is it?”

 

“Stay away from me..” I walked back towards my house quickly. I had a feeling she would probably follow me back, or at least come over again uninvited. I didn't have time to mess with her. I had to think of how to get Soojung back.

 

“What do you think? She's not cursed yet.” Tiffany was sitting on a roof top with her younger sister watching the action happen as if it were some kind of movie. She was disappointed that Jiyoung hadn't used the magic entrusted to her. Yoona, however was enjoying this route much more. She loved a good show.

 

“It's fine huhuhu. We need them both alive for the ritual. We have to keep them apart or they'll die.”