--01--

Right or Wrong?

Someday, we will all be Matched together

And be in an infinite bond 

For me, I'll just be

With my one and only...


I pressed onto the backspace, erasing "with my one and only.." sentence. I don't know who my Match is. Well not until tonight.

Then I slightly bit my lip nervously and looked out the window, with everything being left behind. I just doubted who my Match would be and what they'd be like. But the Association does the Match processing perfectly. They always do. It's pretty foolish to even think that something so perfect would fall apart.

"Don't worry, unnie. You'll be fine!" My little sister, Krystal, tries to relax me. It's usually successful, but today is just...different somehow. I said nothing and smiled at her. I wouldn't risk anything in the world for Krystal. 

"Are you that nervous?" Yunho finishes his card game with Krystal, who is starting to fall asleep, and smiles as he wins. 

"Nope!" I say, with a light-hearted smile. But Yunho has been my best friend, since we were children. He knows me better than anyone.

"You're lying." He teases, as he tries to keep himself from laughing.

"Aren't you at least a bit nervous?" I tightly hold onto the skirt of my dress, hoping to calm myself soon.

"No. I'm pretty excited actually." Of course. Yunho was always that person who's up for anything at anytime. I stare at him, wondering if he shows any negative emotion at all. "Don't worry, Jessica. A lot of people get nervous at their Matching ceremony. It's not unusual, you know." 

"I know, but..there's also this feeling that I can't..wait to meet him. Whoever my Match is, I mean." I look down onto my silver heels, slightly kicking the floor. We've been on this train for about three days, since the Matching District is quite..far from Seoul.

I pull out some old pictures and a letter, from my mother, and I start reading it over and over. The Old Hangul characters are a bit hard to read, since some have been eliminated from today's alphabet. Though, I just skimmed the words. I didn't feel like reading all of it. 

"I didn't know you had a Possession." Yunho looks at the papers in my hands. Some items in every District starts to disappear. Because it's either gone or missing. They're just a few rare artificats that still exist amongst us. 

"Oh, this? I didn't. I just got it before we got onto the plane. It belonged to my First mother." I smiled at the memory, when my father and his Second Match, gave me these before I got onto the train with Yunho, Krystal, and some other hopeful kids. 

"It must be pretty special to you. Does you know what it says?" Yunho asks. He remembers when I told him when I knew I was going to get something from my biological mother, about four years ago. I'm 16 and he's about to turn 17 this year. 

"Nope. The Old Hangul is too complicated to understand." Today's alphabet was a lot more simplified, mixed in with some English. I felt the dried ink, with the number 2014 on it. I folded the letter and put the photos back into the notebook that was placed in when I got it. 

Then, Yunho took out his Possession. "Look. I got this, but it's in a completely different language. My father says it was called Japanese." It was 564 pages long, with a few black-and-white pictures. "You seem to like it a lot." He laughs. Probably not expecting to have it back soon. 

"Well, it's pretty nice." I say, handing it back to him, then straightening out my hair by just finger-combing it. Though other girls would look at me as if I'm crazy. We're all supposed to use the brushes regulated by the Association to keep our hair natural-looking as it can be.

"You look nice." 

"S-so do you." I haven't seen Yunho dressing this nicely in years. He wears a new tux, with his tie, wrapped nicely around the collar. 

Minutes later, the train stops.

We're here at the Matching Center. 

I gulped, holding in my urge to cling onto Yunho, since there are a ton of other kids, leaving the train just like what we're trying to do.

"Just keep breathing." He whispers, without even looking at me. 

"Right.." I try to agree with him, but my usual anxiety keeps getting in my way.

I drink the water from my water bottle. The Association says the water they regulate will calm you down. After I put it way, Yunho holds onto my wrist. 

We're all ordered to be seated in the right of the ceremonial room, while the family members sit on the left, to leave a gap where we can all walk to the front in an orderly fashion. Krystal found her way to our parents, as she smiles at me. I sit next to Yunho, as usual. I hold out the compact infront of my face. 

My silver dress seemed to be shining as always. My wavy chestnut, brown hair fell to the sides of my face. My skin was clear from acne. Everything seemed great, I guess.

"You look fine, Jessica." Yunho pats my head, teasing me.

"Ah! Don't mess it up!" I plead, setting the flyaways down and regaining the line on the top of my head. 

The orchestra was playing the Thousand Songs and caterers walked around with delicious drinks or food on their trays. Soon after about an hour, the Matching had finally started.

About 10 kids have gone up so far. 

They were given a brown box, holding a SmartFact tablet about their Match. Three shots were given to them, one blue one, one green one, one red one. Supposedly, the shots would help them have perfect and healthy genes in their Marriage, later in life. 

Everyone had gone and lastly it was down to the two of us. 

"Jessica Sooyeon Jung." The Matching Official called me up to the podium and the widescreen at the front.

I stood up, then walked in the center. Face forward, light steps, and hands folded neatly. 

"Arm, please." They replaced the shot with a new, clean needle and gave me the three shots. This was working out well. "Please do not lose this, as you will need this to test your responsibility for your Marriage in the future." I was given a clear box, unlike the others, I can see the SmartFact tablet. It was off, though. Why?

Then the Matching Official made me look at the screen. 

I waited about 10 seconds, like everyone else did, before seeing my Match for the rest of my life.

But it remained dark for five minutes. 

It could only mean one thing, as I turned slightly to look at Yunho, with my pleading eyes. 

Then that robotic voice from the screen started to speak.

"Jessica Jung, your Match is already inside this room." The hostess smiles me, hoping for me to relax.


My parents looked shocked.

Krystal could barely contain her emotions.

Yunho struggled to not show any anxiety.


Everyone starts to whisper around me. 

There's a girl in a silver dress, waiting for her Match to be revealed. For her life to be revealed. And that's me. 

This can only mean one thing. 

"Yunho Jung." 

I see him, standing up from his seat. 

The entire District stares at the both of us, back and forth. 

Ohmygosh. Is this a dream? 

People turn their eyes as Yunho walks towards me and takes my hand. 

"You may take your seats." The hostess smiled.

Everyone stood up as they continued the party. 

I view my SmartCard, secretly looking at the facts about him. 

Then my Smartphone vibrates in the small pocket of my dress. I read the text from my family.

"Congratulations, Jessica."