The World I Couldn't Show You - Chapter 9

The World I Couldn't Show You

Woohyun arrived at the abandoned warehouse as instructed.  He stepped inside and scanned the building.  There was no one in sight until he spotted a body laying face down on the floor.  He quickly rushed over and turned the body over.  His tears began to flow when he saw Sungyeol's beaten and bloodied body.  He checked Sungyeol's pulse and found that he was still breathing.

"Sungyeol, I'm so sorry," Woohyun cried.  "It's all my fault."

"Of course it is," said a voice.

He turned and saw two masked figures appeared behind him.  He figured that they were the same two who had attacked him the other night.

"You have some nerves to show up," commented one of the figures.  "I'll give you credit for that."

"Why are you doing this?" Woohyun asked them.  "What did I ever do to you?"

One of the figures shrugged.  "We're only doing what we were paid to do but apparently, your existence is a hindrance to some."

"Who?" Woohyun demanded to know.  He couldn't understand how he could be a hindrance to anyone.  If he wasn't his father's son and Sungyeol's brother, then he didn't even know who he was anymore.

"Can't tell you that," replied the masked figure.  "That would be against our code of conduct."

The second figure was getting impatient.  He drew out his sword and approached Woohyun.  "I'm sick of this.  Let's get this over with."

Woohyun didn't see the point in running but he wanted to save Sungyeol.  "If my life is what you're after, then take it but can you spare him?" Woohyun asked, looking at Sungyeol.

"He is of no interest to us," replied the first figure.  "Besides, we only kill those we have been paid for."

Woohyun seemed slightly relieved to hear that.  He took one last look at Sungyeol.  "Thank you for everything," he whispered to him.  "Goodbye, brother."  He closed his eyes as the second figure stood in front of him.

"You can resist all you like," said the second figure.  "But it'll be useless."

Woohyun shook his head and smiled.  "It seems I'm an unwanted child.  Maybe you are right, I shouldn't have existed."  Woohyun closed his eyes as the sword lowered towards him.

The next thing Woohyun heard was the sound of a motorbike before a gunshot rang out.  He heard the figure in front of him curse.  Woohyun opened his eyes and saw the figure in front of him, clutching his shoulder, bleeding from the bullet wound.  Several more shots rang out as the two figures ducked for cover.

The rider appeared and pulled Woohyun with him.  They ran out of the warehouse and got onto the motorbike.  Woohyun climbed on behind him as they sped away.  The two figures emerged from the warehouse.

"I knew he would be an obstacle," commented one of the figures.

"I won't let him get away!" said the second figure, despite bleeding from his wound.


Woohyun wrapped his arms around the rider's waist and held on tight.  The rider peered in his mirrors and saw the two figures pursuing them on motorbikes not far behind.

"Who are you?" Woohyun asked.  "Why did you save me?"

"I owe you," replied the rider.

Woohyun seemed confused.  He had no idea what the rider was talking about.  "You're probably mistaken.  I haven't done anything for you."

"You probably don't remember," added the rider.  "On a cold night, you gave your jacket to a man who otherwise would have frozen to death."

Woohyun suddenly remembered the night he passed by a man on the ground.  He felt sorry for the man and had given him his jacket.  He had thought that the man was homeless.

"I was badly wounded that night and your jacket helped me survived until help arrived," said the rider.  "I've been watching over you since."

Woohyun tried to remember the man's face but the man had his head down that night and his hair had covered his face.  He couldn't think of anyone except one person.

"Sunggyu?"