Chase

Empty

Changmin watched his leader as the report on Jaejoong's condition ended. He took a swig of his soda and dumped the dirty dishes on the sink. When he saw that Yunho still didn't move he grabbed his coat and strode to the door, his long legs taking him there faster than he had planned. He stopped in front of the door and turned to Yunho.

"Do you plan on owning up?" he asked snidely, not a tinge of sympathy in his voice.

"Changmin, I-"

"It's your fault," the younger man cut in frankly. "If he worsens, it's your fault." And Changmin stepped out on the foyer and slammed the door.

***

 

What the hell? Changmin read the lyric sheet again and willed the words to rearrange themselves and change the song altogether. When the words remained unchanged he took off his headset and turned to the writer of the lyrics.

"Hyung, what is this?"

Yunho didn't look at him when he replied, "it's a song. I thought it was obvious enough."

"I know it's a song, what I meant was the lyrics!" Changmin was getting flustered.

"Changmin, please keep your voice down," Yunho commanded quietly, getting red in the face. Changmin can't tell if it's in embarrassment or anger.

Changmin stared down the sheet and began reading. "You left for freedom, you wished for freedom. It serves you right, you are now free from memories about me and you. It serves you right, we are now strangers in your sight. Freedom is such a deceptive thing to have, but it is what you want. Now fly away and never come back." Changmin crumpled his sheet and threw it on his leader.

Yunho took off his headset and barged in front of his dongsaeng. "What is wrong with you, Changmin!?"

"You think I won't figure out that that song is about Jaejoong-hyung!?" Changmin glowered at his hyung. They looked at each other straight in the eyes

. "Don't say his name around here," Yunho muttered under his breath.

"I'm sick of you, hyung. I'm sick of your lack of guts to fight for them. You are not the Yunho I once knew," Changmin jabbed at Yunho's chest, voice low. "So you let the management get to you, and look at you now. If you want Jaejoong-hyung to forget about you don't drag me in. I'm out of TVXQ."

Changmin pushed Yunho away and walked out of the recording booth, pushing away the staff that tried to stop him.

"Ya, Changminah!" Yunho called angrily, recovering his posture. "Shim Changmin you get back here now!"

But Changmin bored on like a raging bull, fuming mad and determined to get as far away from Yunho as possible. He heard Yunho punch a wall.

***

 

It surprised Changmin that no one dared follow him, but at the same time it relieved him that no one will know that he has driven to Yoochun's place. He went out of his car and jogged towards the back of the house. He saw Junsu playing Wii in the living room, and he heard Yoochun screaming at Junsu to get up so he can vacuum the carpet. Junsu just stuck out his tongue and went on with his game. Yoochun pulled out the plug and a ramble ensued.

Changmin just giggled at how childish his hyungs are, and he felt longing tug at his heart. I've never seen this for years. Changmin stepped away from the window and went hastily to the balcony. Jaejoong-hyung will be there.

But the balcony was empty. Changmin looked around the yard, calling softly. "Jaejoong-hyung."

"Changminnie."

Changmin turned around quickly but saw no one, just the pergola going to the garden. He walked quietly and slowly, his ears searching for that familiar sing-song voice he hadn't heard in years.

"His name was Changmin, he's the maknae," he heard Jaejoong's voice go on. "He eats everything I cook, even if I don't like what I made."

Changmin passed through the pergola and crouched behind a giant terracotta pot. He peeked around to look.

Jaejoong was talking to his toy elephant while putting soil in a small pot using a small spade. A watering can is by his elbow and a packet of flower seeds. "For breakfast, he wants pancakes and waffles with peach syrup and ice cream and soda. It's very unhealthy," Jaejoong said matter-of-factly. He stood up and dusted off his hands on his jumpsuit.

He's wearing my hamtaro suit! Changmin had to stifle a laugh when a realization came to him. No wonder I can't find it!

Jaejoong put his dirty hand under his chin, smearing his neck and cheek with garden soil, seemingly disconcerted about something. Changmin, elated that his hyung has finally remembered him, decided it's time to get up from his hiding place. He dusted off his jeans and stood up with a big smile on his face, his eyes mismatched in happiness. He started walking towards his hyung.

Jaejoong gaped at him in surprise and alarm. "Who are you?"

Changmin stopped in his tracks, confused. "Jaejoong-hyung, it's me, Changmin. Your Changminnie."

Jaejoong moved away from him. "No, you're not."

"Hyung, I've been visiting you for the past two weeks!" Changmin stepped forward warily, careful not to scare off Jaejoong. "It's me Changmin. You were talking about me awhile ago."

Jaejoong looked scared. He bit his lip and stepped back. "I can't remember." He suddenly put his hands beside his head and bent forward, as if in pain, his face twisting in agony.

"Hyung, what's happening?" Changmin asked in alarm. He went to Jaejoong quickly.

"I-I can't remember," Jaejoong squatted on the ground, his hands tightly on his head. "My head-!" He doubled over. Changmin grabbed his arms and tried pulling him up. "T-Too many-! F-faces...I don't know. I don't know. I don't know!"

"Hyung, look at me. You'll remember," Changmin urged. What to do? What to do? He pulled Jaejoong towards him and turned his face towards his. "Hyung, open your eyes, it's me, Changmin."

Jaejoong stopped writhing and slowly opened his eyes. "Changmin?" his big eyes stared at Changmin's, searching and digging. Then he smiled.

"Yes, hyung, it's me," Changmin smiled softly. "Your Changminnie."

As quickly as it came recognition disappeared from Jaejoong's eyes, replacing joy with fright. "Who are you?"

Changmin's eyes widened in disbelief. He felt his grip weaken as Jaejoong pulled himself away like a scared little child. But-

Jaejoong suddenly stood up and sprinted. Changmin got up in alert and ran after his hyung. He tried to grab Jaejoong's arms but he tripped on the toy elephant and caught his ankles instead. They both fell down on the ground, Changmin hitting his head on a pot. Jaejoong wasn't keen on giving up though, and he quickly got up on his feet and ran away, leaving Changmin sprawled on the ground.

"Jaejoong-hyung!" blood trickled down his forehead and to his eyes. Changmin slowly turned around and wiped away the blood, his head throbbing painfully. He sighed tiredly, admitting defeat. He's still fast.

***

 

"Are you sure you didn't see where he went?" Yoochun pushed down the icebag on Changmin's forehead. They are in the kitchen, with Changmin freshly bathed and in Yoochun's clothes, Junsu had dumped his soiled clothes in the washing machine before running out to search for Jaejoong.

"I told you, I couldn't see properly. My vision was blurry," Changmin held the icebag in place with one hand while the other kept pulling on his shorts.

"Stop pulling on my short's hem! You'll destroy it," Yoochun scolded.

"It's above the knee, hyung," Changmin complained.

"I'm not as tall as you, remember? You shouldn't have lain on the ground then."

"I tripped! I just wanted to-" The doorbell rang, cutting off Changmin's explanation.

Yoochun stood up from his seat and headed for the front door. "Must be Junsu," he muttered before turning the knob.

Changmin has his back on the door, and Yoochun was taking too long. "Has Junsu found Jaejoong-hyung?" he called out impatiently, his head starting to throb again. He heard steps behind him; He counted three pairs of feet. Confident that Junsu found Jaejoong he turned around to congratulate him.

"It's not Junsu," Yoochun stated quietly, shuffling his feet. Beside him stood Yunho with an unconscious Jaejoong in his arms. Yunho was sweaty and panting, and by the looks of it he must have chased Jaejoong for a while before catching the latter. Changmin froze in his seat, the pain on his head completely ignored. He heard the back door open and close noisily, and a panting Junsu appeared in the kitchen.

"Yoochun, I can't-" Junsu froze midsentence. "Oh."