Revelations

Ever After

 

When Iseul woke up on her birthday Evie was happily snoring away and, for some reason, Aida had her pillow on top of her head and was seemingly crushing it down to her ear.

Iseul sniggered a bit at the sight, stoop up and walked quietly to the window. She stared at the light blue sky for a while before she remembered the letter Mrs. Kim had given her. She read it through, thought for two seconds, reread it, gasped, read it one more time, squealed enough to wake Evie and Aida up and proceeded to sit down on the floor resembling a zombie.

“What's going on?” Aida asked sleepily.

“Tell her to shut up and let me sleep,” Evie grumbled.

“Evie... she's not moving...”

“I don't care, I wanna sleep....” Aida ignored Evie and grabbed the letter that was in Iseul's hands.

“Oh my god, can this be true?” Aida squeaked as she read the letter. “Evie, you have to read this.”

“No, right now is my sleepy time, I can read it when it's not my sleepy time.”

“Evie, read it. Now.” Aida commanded and Evie sat up with a grunt, reluctantly taking the letter, glared at Aida and finally read the letter. As she read her eyes slowly became bigger, to the point that when she looked up her eyes wer tie size of two bowls.

“Oh my god, oh my god, oh my effing GOD?!”

 

***

 

KANGIN!” Evie shouted as she barged into his room, “your sister-princess-lost-not lost-found-letter-petrified-Iseul-princess!” She blurted out, obviously Kangin couldn't understand a word.

“What are you trying to say honey? Did you have a bad dream? Missed me so much you wanted to sleep next to me- or something else?” Kangin teased, though he looked dead serious with the last part. He could've looked a little erted too but Evie was way too busy thinking to notice. She finally came up with the perfect solution. She handed him the letter and ordered him to read it.

“What on earth- is this true?” Kangin looked up at Evie with a shocked yet hopeful expression.

“I have no reason to think it isn't,” Evie answered.

“My parents need to see this, may I borrow the letter?” Kangin asked.

“I'm coming with you.”

 

***

 

C-could this be? She's alive and well?” King Shinwoo asked, hope shining from his eyes.

“She's here, in the palace. In my chambers frozen like a zombie to be exact.” Evie told the King and Queen.

“This is from her kidnapper?” Queen Jinah asked.

“I believe so, apparently the letter came with her when the Kims, her adoptive parents, found her on their doorstep one morning,” Evie explained.

The King walked over to his desk, opened a drawer and took out a very old, rumpled and yellowed piece of paper.

“It has the same handwriting as the letter left by the kidnapper 18 years ago. There's no misake, our daughter has been found,” the King said slowly, not believing the words coming from his mouth.

Evie, Kangin and their Majesties all stood frozen in plave for a while, the information sinking in.

“Oh, Kyu is gonna love this!” Evie suddenly squealed, making Kangin laugh and the King and Queen look at each other in disbelief.

 

***

 

Aida had managed to get herself and Iseul dressed and was in the process of trying to get some food into Iseul's mouth when Evie and Kangin walked in the door with their Majesties in tow. Iseul almost spit out the food she had in but managed to restrain herself at the last minute.

“Oh now you snap to it....” Aida mumbled.

“What do I do?” Iseul whispered to her friend with the most helpless look Aida had ever seen adorn her friends face.

“Just be yourself,” someone whispered in Iseul's ear, she turned around to find Evie smiling reassuringly at her.

Evie dragged Iseul towards the Royal family and formally introduced her. The Queen didn't hesitate to hug Iseul with tears flowing freely from her eyes. The King was sniffling and his eyes were moist as he joined the two women in the hug. He didn't want to wait his turn. Kangin was grinning madly the entire time the King and Queen interrogated Iseul about her life.

That evening Evie wrote Kyuhyun a long letter with a detailed explanation of everything that had happened that day. She only hoped that he would resist the urge to jump on the next horse and ride nonstop to the Rea Palace.

 

***

 

A couple of weeks passed and their Majesties didn't leave Iseul out of their sight. They had moved her into her own private chambers and had seamstresses working night and day making an entire wardrobe for her as well as teaching her how to be a princess. Iseul objected to having people serve her and she liked to help the seamstresses out as much as she could, often resulting with them having to usher her to bed in the wee hours of morning. Iseul's life stayed like that for 2 months before anything changed.

 

***

 

It was the day before Evie and Kangin's wedding and Evie's family had finally arrived. Everyone was in the courtyard watching as the carriages approached. Iseul stood in the back, not wanting to get in the way of anyone. She couldn't help but gape when her adoptive family stepped out of the first carriage along with Kyuhyun. She gaped even more when her parents hugged her... parents. Okay, this was just plain confusing. She didn't think she could be even more confused until Kyuhyun spotted her, strode over, wrapped his arms around her and kissed her passionately. Was that even allowed in public? Wait, was it even allowed AT ALL? A split second later and those thoughts disappeared, he always had a way of making her mind lose all rationality and her knees go weak.

“God I missed you,” Kyuhyun whispered in her ear when he'd finished with the kissing. Iseul smiled faintly.

“A lot has happened since I last saw you,” she began, “I know, I have a cousin that loves to talk but also writes fantastic letters. The letter I received from her was probably a meter long, at the very least. I wanted to come immediately after receiving it, but mum and dad forbade me to go anywhere. I was watched 24/7,” he finished.

“Well, you're here now,” Iseul chuckled, “but why are mum and dad hugging, uh, mum and dad?” Iseul wondered as she stood on tiptoe to peek over Kyuhyun's shoulder.

“I think they're thanking the Kims for taking you in and raising you. They've been sending letters back and forth since the truth came out. It seems they've become quite good friends,” he answered. He and Iseul both giggled as they watched the Kims get quite nearly squished and crushed as King Shinwoo and Queen Jinah repeatedly hugged them. They were finally saved by Aida who asked for permission to greet her parents.

“You know Kyu, it would be a good idea to let Iseul go now in order for you both to greet the guests,” Evie whispered as she moved to stand beside the two. Kyuhyun immediately moved to stand beside Iseul, but his arm never left her waist.

That evening Kangin, Kyuhyun, Evie, Iseul and Aida sat around the fireplace in Evies chambers chatting and playing games until dawn was just around the bend.

 

***

 

Evie looked stunning in her wedding gown. It had a tight bodice and full skirt, see-through sleeves with embroidered flowers. As she walked down the aisle towards Kangin, he couldn't for the life of him take his eyes off her and only blinked when he absolutely had to, to keep his eyes from drying up. Kyuhyun, his best man, was on the ready with a handkerchief, just in case Kangin started to drool.

The ceremony was beautiful, Kangin and Evie were a little like teenagers on their first date they were so giddy. They got through the ceremony without trouble and everyone aww-ed when the groom finally got to kiss the bride.

Things didn't heat up until the party. At first everything was very prim and proper, but ast he afternoon wore on and everyone got more drunk, things started to get a little wild. The dancing turned into something like a scene from dirty Dancing Dancing. At around midnight Evie and Kangin said good night to everyone, but they would not say it to each other for a few hours yet.